• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Help workshop] Map help thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-Bone

Musician and Pixel Artist
    Years
    3rd time I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

repost:

I've tried almost every way possible, but when i create an item out of a singpost and talk to it nothing happens. help?

also, i want to make it so then you don't have to go to vermilian city to get oak's parecell, and you can get it in pallete town. help?

PLEASE ANSWER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M TIRED OF WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEXT TIME NO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE NEWER POSTS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED, BUT NOT MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new question. i have a map, but i need a tower for the water to come out of.
    can i have help finding a tower?

Map credits to pokekingkian.

please answer my other questions.

yet more questions

how do you make a tree headbuttable?
    what bytes do you use?

All questions i've asked are for fire red, so please answer them for my hack.

Maybe you should ask more politely, and even if you're tired of waiting, many people put there time and effort into answering at the best of their ability. Secondly, you should try searching before you ask for help. A majority of the questions you asked are very simple, and could be found easily. This once, I'll answer for you.

If you use a Signpost so you can make a hidden item, you still need to Script it.

If you want to get Oak's Parcel at Pallet Town, my best suggestion would be to create a character at Pallet Town who has the same offset as the shopkeeper at the Mart. An alternate way would be to create a warp to the Mart from Pallet Town.

If you need some sort of tower, I suggest looking at the ROM Hacking Resources thread.

To make a tree head-buttable, you do not use bytes. You have to make a Script.

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Maybe you should ask more politely, and even if you're tired of waiting, many people put there time and effort into answering at the best of their ability. Secondly, you should try searching before you ask for help. A majority of the questions you asked are very simple, and could be found easily. This once, I'll answer for you.

If you use a Signpost so you can make a hidden item, you still need to Script it.

If you want to get Oak's Parcel at Pallet Town, my best suggestion would be to create a character at Pallet Town who has the same offset as the shopkeeper at the Mart. An alternate way would be to create a warp to the Mart from Pallet Town.

If you need some sort of tower, I suggest looking at the ROM Hacking Resources thread.

To make a tree head-buttable, you do not use bytes. You have to make a Script.
    I've made hidden signpost items, and I didn't need to script them. The main issue with signpost items is the hidden ID. And copying the Viridian pokemart guy's script will NOT help you. The event itself is a level script. Check the map header.
    Siper X, I tried to answer this question in either the script help thread or the simple Q thread... check your posts there.

For my own map question, I would really appreciate it if someone was willing to help me make a world map (I've tried several times but it ain't working.)
    I'll be doing this for a hack I'm planning. If someone's willing to help, please PM me. I already have the basic layout planned.
    Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules...

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    my problem is this:

in some warp points when i make my own maps, going through that warp point causes the rom image to crash! i have no clue why

second issue: sometimes i make a doorway with a warp and once i enter the warp the other way doesnt work, its like a wall, but it looks like a doorway

help please?

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    i need help improving this map
    3 of the 7 grapefruit islands

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
    Years
    For my own map question, I would really appreciate it if someone was willing to help me make a world map (I've tried several times but it ain't working.)
    I'll be doing this for a hack I'm planning. If someone's willing to help, please PM me. I already have the basic layout planned.

same thing as he said, i have tried every tutorial i could find and looked up videos on youtube, and used different tools(all i will list in spoiler) but everytime i try loading it in vba the screen just goes black but i can see it clearly in advance map world map editor... would someone be willing to walk me through the process or even help me on inserting the world map and then sending it to me so i can edit the routes, towns, etc. i understand everything but this apparently and until i get it working my hack is stopped.
    I have the map designed on how i want it, even adjusted it quite a bit to make sure the tiles could fit in a 128x128 tileset...
    Spoiler:

plz help and dont ignore this like how just about every other request ive seen in this thread about world maps has been

edit:nvm my last edit i cant seem to repeat that last process and i cant figure out how to pallete edit it
    edit again: yay finally solved the problem and created the map myself :D

Last edited:

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
    Originally Posted by trebornosliw [Help workshop] Map help thread

You should first search the world map on unlz .check 256 colours and black&white.
    after that save.
    Then go to vba and open up your townmap so it shows your world map.
    Click tools and then pallete editor or something like that.
    click save bg.
    then open up GIMP or photoshop (MS Paint does not work with this)
    [this is for GIMP]
    load the image.
    click the fourth box on the layers,channel,Paths and pallete box
    right click on anyone of them and click import pallete
    search up your save pallete.
    load it
    click colours
    click map -> set colourmap
    click default
    and there should be a box
    find your bg.pal and click it
    go back to the colourmap box and click ok
    the worldmap should be coloured
    Edit the worldmap to whatever you like.(use the colour from the pallete)
    After editing to your liking,Click colour
    click map->set colourmap.
    click the bg.pal and tehre should be a box comming out.
    click Greys.
    click ok on the colourmap box.
    The world map should be in black and white.
    After that go back to UNLZ.gba and find the worldmap in UNLZ(original one)
    click 256 colours and black and white
    click import and select the edited one.
    then click write to rom and check export image,automatically abort is size is too big,automatically fix pointer
    if its like this
    EG:
    compressed size is 698.Which is too big.Aborting
    Open up FSF(Free space finder)
    load your rom
    on the bottom left there should be a hex box.
    input the number in
    and tehre should be a number on top of it
    copy that number and put it in the needed bytes
    click search and copy the number you see.
    exit FSF
    go back to your UNLZ.gba and input that number in the Image Offset
    Remember to check the 3 things i told you to check
    Then click ok.
    it should say pointer changed at (numbers)
    then click write to rom again
    and uncheck export image and automatically fix pointed but check import pallette.
    click ok
    there you go! your new world map

Last edited:

aquadan

is searching for members
    Years
    MAP HELP

Cut from my thread.

(I am aware of the errors, behind the houses, i need to make some tiles to fix it, and also learn how to insert tiles, Lol | any im not sure why the pic is so blurry.)​
    Spoiler:

Constructive criticism encouraged.

BASICALLY IM LOOKING FOR HELP WITH REPLACING THE TITLES BEHIND THE HOUSES, WHERE THE PATH STILL EXISTS.

IF ANYONE CAN TELL MY HOW TO EDIT TILES AND INSERT THEM IT WOULD BE MUCHLY APPRECIATED,

OR IF YOUR LOOKING TO JOIN A TEAM. PM ME.
    IM LOOKING TO START A TEAM OR JOIN ONE :)
    (LARGER TEXT FOR NOTICEABLY!XD)

Years
    Cut from my thread.

BASICALLY IM LOOKING FOR HELP WITH REPLACING THE TITLES BEHIND THE HOUSES, WHERE THE PATH STILL EXISTS.

IF ANYONE CAN TELL MY HOW TO EDIT TILES AND INSERT THEM IT WOULD BE MUCHLY APPRECIATED,

OR IF YOUR LOOKING TO JOIN A TEAM. PM ME.
    IM LOOKING TO START A TEAM OR JOIN ONE :)
    (LARGER TEXT FOR NOTICEABLY!XD)

Search in HERE and you'll find what your looking for. Just search for tile inserting or something in that trend.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2009
    I need help! Neti's Frozen Rombase

Can someone help me please??? :disappoin
    I have patched my FireRed Rom with Neti's Frozen Rombase.
    But the map looks like this :

Years
    ...which is why you use a ROM Base than start mapping. :\ And if not, insert tiles. There isn't really a solution ecept from remapping. And it's only certain parts, isn't it?

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2009
    All maps looks like this...

i don't know how to insert tiles...
    are there any other snow rom bases for download?

Last edited:
    Years
    Well, if you have a back up, use that. Tutorials can teach you how to insert tiles. And if you are a dedicated hacker, then why not just take the time to remap it, if having the tiles are necassary.

adamb241

Pokémon Raging Fury
    Years
    Well I have a quick question, I was mapping a cave and when I played the game the character enterd the cave facing the wrong way. (Towards the opening). I used a floor piece with the movement byte 08. Is there something I did wrong? Maybe a byte error?

aquadan

is searching for members
    Years

Howdy guys, i made this map for my hack pokemon aqua steel[Link provided in my sig :)]
    And well im stuck :S
    i have looked at the map for so long i can tell if its a win!!

help
    and suggestion will be considered :)

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    I have a quick question on tile usage, more to do with aesthetics than anything technical.

There are two basic tilesets used for "paths" in FR/LG from what I can tell, basically these guys:

These are all the places that use the dark tiles on the left (I'm not counting places like Viridian City that obviously only use a few of the tiles because they're continuing from other routes):
    Viridian Forest (but also has a bit of the light tiles, near the entrance/exit)
    Cinnabar Island
    Route 3, 9, 10, 11 (with a few light tiles), 24, 25 (but a bit of light near Bill's house)
    Route 4 (half and half; mostly dark tiles by Mt. Moon, and light tiles by Cerulean)

And these are all the places that use the light tiles on the right:
    Cerulean City
    Vermilion City (but a bit of the dark tiles, in the place where the "new building" is going up.)
    Fucshia City
    Route 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23,
    Route 4 (half and half; mostly dark tiles by Mt. Moon, and light tiles by Cerulean)

So, what's the pattern to which tiles to use where? Obviously the light tiles are a lot more common, and it looks like mountainous/rocky areas almost invariably get dark tiles, but are there any other apparent rules? Especially on the dark tiles; it looks like the light tiles are default, so I'm wondering about dark tiles that don't conform to the "rocky area" rule.

Thanks for any advice/opinions.

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    ...wow, I've never actually thought about that. I just use whatever tiles I feel like.
    And you're slightly incorrect, by the way. There are also two other types of path tiles, one a sort of faded footpath, and on that old-style white thingy that I used behind the fences in your Route 35 map.
    Sorry, no pics, but hopefully you'll know what I mean.
    And Aquadan, your map is awesome. But those rocky sections at top end of the ridges are a little wierd, you should replace them with tile 133, tileset 0. That works much better for grassy, mountainous areas.

Years
    Reffering to ckret's question, I think the darker one is used around rocky, mountainous and/or muddy areas, and the bright, yellow one on the right is use for general paths, where you wouldn't use the brown one. The faded one is for villages and small routes, normally that have one or two houses on them. And the white one and the Safffron City-styled one are usually used near, or at, cities, if not a unique tileset. But really, at the end of the day, it just comes down to preference.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back