• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with people who have a problem with you liking Pokémon?

Years
  • I don't really care if they have a problem with it. So I would say whatever, because I am having fun and that is the most important thing.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • I am known to have a really short temper, so whenever someone bugs me about Pokemon, they end up getting hurt.

Hibaru

Advanced Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I'll say,"I have my own reason on loving it. And you have nothing to do with it. We have the rights to love anything what we wanted to love. Understand b***h?". That's what I'll say to them. But its true that people get this problems a lot. But who cares huh.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Well like said above, people have their own opinions, so I respect that. Its just, they would have to respect that I love pokemon too. But you know what -- if they still have a problem, I'd say, "well its fun and gangster to me!" Works everytime. <3

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I usually just ignore them. My friends tend to use really bad puns which gets on my nerves. And I find some of the other people's patronising quite funny. Then again a lot of people at my school are starting to play Pokemon again...

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2013
    probably not the best move to drop facts like "its the best selling game evarrr" just tell em to go funk themselves man, who cares what ppl think about what you do

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • Considering that there are 40 year-olds that still like Disney or Hello Kitty,
    I don't think "too old for Pokemon" exists.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Urgh I feel awkward watching like middle aged people play pokemon... weird imo x;

I just don't tell anyone :P but there is a pokemon phase running through my year group right now, so i feel more relaxed.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • I've had one of the male men in walmart give me a funny look when I asked him to get Pokemon White out of the locked window/case thing, but to be honest, I didn't mind it. And then he tried to talk me into getting Black, but I think he was hinting at some sort of racist thing, which I played off of by telling him I wanted white because I liked the exclusives more in that game.

But yeah that was the only case of something sort of similar to this thread. When I talk about pokemon to my family, they don't really listen to me and go about their own business. Of course my brother makes fun of me, but what kind of reaction do you expect from a 19 year old boy who thinks Call of Duty and Halo are the epitome of gaming in forever? So I can't take him seriously.

And if someone questioned me, then I would just shrug it off. Everyone is entitled to like what they want to like, and there will always be people who are so bored they have nothing better to do with their lives than nitpick everything you do. So what do you do? Shrug it off and keep on playing your pokemon games. Because retaliating is just stooping to their level of maturity, or should I say, lack there-of.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    They don't know, honestly the closest I've ever come to talking to someone else about pokemon was when somebody made a joke about Sudowoodo. I never asked the guy about it because I wasn't sure if he's just an old fan or if he still plays it. I know he has a ds and has played Scribblenauts before though.

Occasionally as well I've heard people reflect on it, but I think that was probably in a "remember when we were kiddies" kind of way...and there was always a funny tone on it. So I didn't think they still took it seriously.

I haven't had anything malicious though, but that's because nobody has really known. If somebody asked if I liked Pokemon though I would say yes, since nobody has asked me though I don't bother. My best friend knows I like pokemon and it doesn't bother him.

If someone had a problem though, I'd probably just tell them that I have what I like and nobody has the right to tell me what I should or shouldn't like.

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I can just stop playing, you have to run around with that face forever.

Seriously, though, I never had problems with that, not even now and I'm 23. A friend recently asked me to let him battle a wild Pokémon when we were on the train together.

I think some of my friends, all of whom played Red and Blue back in the day, would still like to play the new games, but don't have time, want to play other things or are just plain scared what others (girls in particular) would say to them if they knew they played Pokémon.

Personally, I couldn't care less. When I met my current girlfriend (we're together for four years now) I practically opened conversation by telling her that I'm into video gaming and miniature wargaming (which has an even worse reputation than Pokémon).

So yeah, everybody just deal wid it ^^

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • You see, the awesome thing about my high school (well, one of them) is that we have a Strategic Card Games Club in the Japanese classroom, and this club is on every breaktime. I just hang out there and play Pokemon, and because everybody else is geeky to some degree (strategic card games = Yu-Gi-Oh and MtG, btw) we get along fine. And it's not like I'm just mooching or anything - I do actually play card games too. Half the club have Black/White now, so we get some epic trading/battling/multi-battles/Entralinking etc done. It's amazing.

Outside of there, though, I really have little idea how to respond to people who are like that. I do get a lot of it, but I usually just tend to ignore them.

Hibaru

Advanced Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • On one second though, Pokemon is deserve for everyone (actually). But some said "Pokemon are for Kids. But that doesn't mean we teenagers and adults don't allowed to like it". It thought me so much...

Anyway, I forgot to mention. None of my classmates know that I like it actually. I never know what their respond be. Still,"We have the rights on loving everything we wanted to love".

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
  • Well it tends to be diffrent for the people I talk to, usually I don't bring it up and it's not an issue. When Call of Duty/Halo addicts call it to my attention, I just casually wave it off as "I'm a Nintendo fan" siteing I just play all the other old school games, usually one of them Mario/Zelda/Megaman is good enough in there eyes to stave them off.
    I really have no trouble with it, I don't play it much in public, and when I do, I'm in a large group so it's hard to feel embaressed. (oh and I guess playing Halo helps too)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • It's not something I broadcast via a megaphone or sandwich board wherever I go, so no one really hassles me over it. Indeed, I never really start a conversation by going: 'Hey, my name's Mr Cat Dog and I like Pokemon!' (That would get a weird reaction if I said that in real life.) It comes up occasionally in discussion with friends, and most of them don't care enough about it to use it as a form of belittling (some of them think it's endearing, in a weird way). Of the few people who have 'confronted' me on it, normally I just ask them what they like that could be considered embarrassing, they tell me, and we move on with our lives. No biggie.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Wow.. 193 Million O.o

But yeah, I don't really care what people think, It's for my enjoyment which is all that matters to me, I don't care if people mock me for playing Pokémon, it's a great game! :)

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • Heh, most people in my school have a Pokémon obsession at the moment so I'm pretty safe. In the years where it was 'uncool' to like Pokémon, nobody used to bother me. Dunno why. I just have that affect on people.

TiTaN.JuStIn

Fighting the army of Stress...
    Years
  • I have problems in school. I mean, people just laugh at me when I try to say at least Poke from Pokemon. I get teased and get ignored. My parents also think that pokemon is childish and I'm too old to play it. I just can't stand it. Well, nobody in my class know that 192 million people(still rising) like pokemon. They just play soccer, talk about jokes, brag. Some even play invizimals, which is old. Anyways, I'm in a society of people who aren't interested in pokemon.

Back