• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How do YOU feel??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
    Years
    About Shiney pokemon, worth it or not?? I read stories of people spending hours trying to aquire a shiny pokemon by soft reseting, I personally don't think that its that detremental for me to aquire shinies(I have not had one in my pokemon carrer), but I want to know you ideas..... also, what is soft reset???

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    When i first got Pokémon Diamond i was obsessed with shines i was doing everything i could to get more and more of them, but then one day that feeling left me, i then went in search of powerful Pokémon instead of shiny, and traded away all of them for strong EV trained Pokémon, then when i got Pokémon Pearl i finished the storyline in it and traded all my Pokémon from Diamond to Pearl(to help with finishing the National-Dex), then i started Diamond again for some reason, and when i was in the forest(i forget the name) training after the girl left my team, i came across a shiny Murkrow who became the main bird Pokémon for my team and my love for shiny Pokémon was reborn, although it is still not as strong as it was when Diamond and Pearl where first released.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Shiny Pokémon mean nothing but a paint job proving that the artists were definitely on something when they drew them. Especially on Sceptile. How can anyone stand that colour? >.>

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
    also, what is soft reset???
    Soft resetting is just a way to reset the game but makes your battery live longer and works faster when compared with the on/off button.
    Hold L + R + Start + Select for D/P and A + B + Start + Select for R/S/E.

Anyway.
    I one of those people that love Shiny Pokémon, so yeah, I'd spend hours to get one, but I wouldn't hunt for one 5 hours straight. The most I do is SR for 30-60 minutes every day because I don't have much patience. Sometimes I can do it longer if I'm watching my DVD's or something.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Shiny Pokemon are the biggest farce that GF ever came up with. I could understand the interest if a shiny Pokemon had better stats or could learn special moves, or at least something tangible. If I am going to spend time soft-resetting, it is going to be for either an egg or a Legendary that has the correct nature, ability, and the best IVs possible. A regular Pokemon with correct nature and good stats is always better than a shiny Pokemon with a bad nature and horrible stats. Spending hours just to get a Pokemon of a different color is totally lame. Of course, everyone has their own tastes. Some people even like cauliflower, which I don't understand either.

Pingouin_7

The reason people like shinies is that they are RARE. Even if they don't have better stats and stuff like that (wich I don't think shiny Pokémon should have), people like them because they are RARE.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I'm inclined to agree with shane here. It's really just something GF added for the avid collectors. As in, it's a challenge to get one of every Pokémon, but it's even more of a challenge to get one of every Pokémon and one of every shiny. Other than that, they're really no big deal. There's really no difference between a shiny and a regular Pokémon, especially past Gen II. (And even in Gen II, they're no big deal because the IVs that determine shininess aren't even good IVs.)

So, really, I don't even bother spending hours to get a shiny. I've got better things to do, really. Of course, if I find one (by pure serendipity), I'll catch it because I'm that kind of collector, and although shinies really aren't that significant to me, they make good trade offers.

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
    I love shinies, but the sparkle gets annoying after you use that Pokémon a few hundred times.

My only (legit) shiny was a random encounter. I've never spent hours. I'm too impatient.

Shiny Pokémon mean nothing but a paint job proving that the artists were definitely on something when they drew them. Especially on Sceptile. How can anyone stand that colour? >.>
    Sceptile is better than grovyle, which is better than heatran.
    Still, swampert is better-looking. It's pink!!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    The reason people like shinies is that they are RARE. Even if they don't have better stats and stuff like that (wich I don't think shiny Pokémon should have), people like them because they are RARE.
    Again, to each their own. For me, I would much rather get something out of a "rare" Pokemon. A Pokemon with flawless IVs is not only more rare than a Pokemon painted a different color, but there is at least some kind of benefit to having it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2009
    Honestly, I don't mind at all about shiny pokémon... Just a regular pokémon but with a different pallete color. I guess their only "value" is to look big in front of others, just like a guy dating a playboy bunny-girl or someone with the first released Red/Blue game :D

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    Well shiny pokemon are ok I guess. Some shiny pokemon look sweet, and others, just look better non shiny. (like lucario and riolu for instance) Other than that, I don't mind MOST shiny pokemon.

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
    Meh. I don't go to incredible lengths to get them, but a few of them look better than the normal sprite (Shiny Duskull is *****in'). Even so, I agree with the IV people here. I happen to like the one shiny I possess because catching it made me feel lucky for a moment and because it has excellent Sp Atk. That isn't to say that I don't use my Radar occasionally. An hour a week, listening to music, wading through the new swarm, alright, it might save me some time breeding moves. But unless I REALLY prefer the shiny color, it's easy to get over.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    Personally, I don't care about getting a Shiny. If I come across one, I'll catch it, but I won't go shiny-hunting all the time. I've probably encountered 2 Shinies randomly in my lifetime (a Bellsprout and a Zigzagoon- and I traded them offafter getting their IVs. I care more about the competetive side of battling, not the color. Besides, Shiny Kyogre is a joke.

ONECSM

Beginning Video Hacker
    Years
    I never really cared about shinys. Except this one time i acidentaly found a shiny zubat in a cave on emerald. (i acidentaly killed it)

jasonh1259

D/C happening when I battle...
    Years
    Shiny Pokemon

I've encountered shiny pokemon before.
    Most of them are in emerald version's Battle frontier. :(
    Either way, shiny pokemon are just come and goes for me... :l
    the whole chaining with the pokeradar just bugs me though :/

Kirakas.

The Rainbow Ranger.
    Years
    Well, I've only gone out of my way to get a shiny (Ponyta) once, and that was only because it was in Diamond, and Diamond has that.. >>; Gah. Tip of my tongue. Poke-tracker-thingy. Otherwise, I've had the unfortunate luck to run into a shiny Spinda and Makuhita on Sapphire with no Pokeballs.

Anywho, I can see the attraction to shiny Pokemon. To someone like me, who absolutely hates possessing/doing something so unspectacular that it can be aquired/done by anyone (in Pokemon terms, having regular Pokemon. In real life, something like reading the same manga series as someone else.), shiny Pokemon are a special treat because it makes my Pokemon different-- even if the difference is totally insignificant. Also, as a roleplayer, I tend to unconciously give my Pokemon defining traits and a look of their own. Having a shiny Pokemon just personifies whatever I draw up in my imagination all the better.
    Then, they can be a challenge for collectors to get their hands on. People who enjoy flaunting their Pokemon have all the more to show off if the Pokemon is shiny.

In my opinion, shinies are coolio 'cuz they differentiate themselves from regular Pokemon. .o.
    Tha's just my two cents, though.

Edit - POKERADAR. That's it. :o

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Shinies aren't really my thing. To me their just a waste of time, and just there to fill the needs of people who want more to do in the game.

Ex Trainer Ruiisu

You Told Me I Was A Monster
    Years
    i only do it when i want a specific shiny, im not too excited about them except for a few pokemon.
    Pokemon ive soft resetted for
    Lucario
    Gliscor
    Milotic
    Weavile
    Charizard
    and Luxray and thats all :B

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    About Shiney pokemon, worth it or not?? I read stories of people spending hours trying to aquire a shiny pokemon by soft reseting, I personally don't think that its that detremental for me to aquire shinies(I have not had one in my pokemon carrer), but I want to know you ideas..... also, what is soft reset???
    Soft reseting for starters and legends I assume?Also I here chain is somewhat of a fast method.I dont trade shinys any more but I did not waste my time with soft reset I just traded for all mine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back