• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I heard Red was tough?

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    oh dang i just ruined reds entire strategy with one pokemon not even ev or iv trained...
    steelix at lvl 70 which resists or nullifies pikachu's lead moves
    move set
    curse
    rock polish
    thunder fang
    earthquake
    Can you guess what i did?
    =P, but thats just how i did it on heart gold... red is tough, no joke almost all of his pokemon can 2hko a lvl 70

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Man...

I beat him with a Lv. 66 Team. It was really, really tough and annoying. My luck was hail on Venusaur : I jumped from Revive to Revive until Hail got its HP to half, then my Typhlosion used BlastBurn and owned.

I don't plan on battling him any soon... my secondary team (see sig) is still in its mid-30s. XD

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    Red was a sissy. :P

Lol. He might of been a little harder for me if I wasn't so well prepared. ;)

RedWar

Learning...
    Years
    Had my team between 55 and 67. beat him but it took a WHOLE lot of revives to pull it off.

15ares

My jimmies remain unrustled.
    Years
    lol as soon as i got to kanto, I rode my bike to fuschia and migrated my party from fire red, all trained myself:
    lvl 100 dragonite
    lvl 100 evd tyranitar 397 attack
    lvl 100 charizard
    lvl 100 zapdos
    lvl 100 rayquaza
    lvl 100 salamence

I swept his whole team with tyranitar XD

Last edited:

Penutz

Breeder & Collector
    Years
    Since i find migraring kinda cheating. I already had a team all in the 70 area. one around 80. I gave them a raising sesh and then they were ready.

Years
    To be honest, he was not the hardest trainer in the game at all =/ I still found Clair (yes, the chick who runs that bloody Kingdra... at a time when you have no dragon moves available to you x.X) to be the most difficult to beat.

My team for Red was a 63 Feraligatr, 57 Ho-oh, and 70 Lugia. Ho-oh led off with an Earthquake, and since he was scarfed the Pikachu had no chance to even touch him. Feraligatr had superpower to deal with Snorlax, Ho-oh had Sacred Fire to clean up Venusaur, and Lugia did the rest of the hard work (ancientpower on Charizard, Lapras, and Giga Drain stall war against Blastoise). No revives were needed and no potions, though I did have to use Full Heal about three times because I got frozen on three different occasions by Blizzard.

I do remember getting all excited about hail, and Blizzard being 100% accuracy. Sadly, after I bought the TM and taught it to Lugia, I realized that the only Pokemon weak to ice were Charizard (already 4x weak to Ancient Power :S) and Venusaur, who got smacked around by Sacred Fire anyways...

Last edited:

typhlosionLV80

Son of Arceus
    Years
    I'm excited for this battle. Most other trainers aren't too challenging lol

You're right, not many of them are challenges. Red is a Pokemon Trainer God. He has Pikachu, all of the FR/LG starters, Lapras, and Snorlax. His highest level is 88 (Pikachu) and his lowest is (I THINK) 82 and (AGAIN, I THINK) that is his Lapras.

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    My Breloom squashed most his team with Spore/Focus Punch combo. I switched in my Infernape for Venasaur and there was one other switch, I forget which, I just would have felt bad running a train with just my Breloom.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    I actually found him pretty easy ...

Lvl. 83 Dragonite -> Pikachu in one hit with Dragon Pulse.
    Lvl. 65 Typhlosion -> Venusaur in two hits with lava plume and blast burn.
    Lvl. 60 Ampharos -> Lapras in two hits with discharge, one being critical.
    Lvl. 100 Blastoise -> Charizard in one hit with Hydro Pump.
    Lvl. 60 Ampharos -> Blastoise in tow hits with Discharge.
    Lvl. 83 Dragonite -> Snorlax in one hit with outrage.

All in all, no items, pretty easy.

Toa Hyro

master of shadows
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2011
    I defeated him with my recently caught mewtwo, my Giratina, My recently caught Snorlax, and my lv.100 Blaziken.

KAZillonaire

Pokémon is my profession.
    Years
    Pikachu is his strongest Pokémon. (Well, actually, the highest level.) He's going to draw him out first. I recommend a ground type?

DaPokeMaster

Pokemon Trader
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    Pikachu Lv.88 = i used my lv.81 Rhyperior earthquake (1 hit ko lol)
    Lapras Lv.80 = 2 hits of thunder from my dragonite lv 84
    Snorlax Lv.82 = 2 Close Combats and 1 aura sphere from Lucario lv 80
    Venusaur Lv.84 = 1 Blast Burn from charizard lv.78
    Charizard Lv.84 = 1 hit of thunder from dragonite
    Blastoise Lv.84 = ^same as above^
    And that is how i beat red

so really you need (as most people said) is a team of pokemon lv 75+ or you will get pwned

And if you beat him and want to battle him again,just beat the E4 again and he will come back.

KAZillonaire

Pokémon is my profession.
    Years
    Pikachu Lv.88 = i used my lv.81 Rhyperior earthquake (1 hit ko lol)
    Lapras Lv.80 = 2 hits of thunder from my dragonite lv 84
    Snorlax Lv.82 = 2 Close Combats and 1 aura sphere from Lucario lv 80
    Venusaur Lv.84 = 1 Blast Burn from charizard lv.78
    Charizard Lv.84 = 1 hit of thunder from dragonite
    Blastoise Lv.84 = ^same as above^
    And that is how i beat red

so really you need (as most people said) is a team of pokemon lv 75+ or you will get pwned

And if you beat him and want to battle him again,just beat the E4 again and he will come back.

Remember, the hits and stuff are basically random. You won't get a critical hit, nor get a One-Hit KO. The guy probably won't get the One-Hit KO.

Back