• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Is anyone still not excited?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
  • I'm really excited for them!!! I've been wanting a RSE remix for such a long time now that I've been excited since the day of the reveal. I can't wait to see Hoenn again in all it's glory, but in 3D! Perosnally I expect they'd add more Mega evolution so I don't see why they are such a big deal. It only made since that Sceptile and Swampert would get ones eventually cause Blaziken had one, so I was expecting they'd get Mega evolutions. I'm just curious how they will be tied in with the original story. I can see them affecting the plot a bit, maybe the climax of the story. Primal reversions could definitely be included with the ending/climax I believe.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm going to get a lot of hate here, but I honestly didn't really like Gen I and I find that Gen I is terribly overhyped.

Yes it is where it all began, it is where it all started. I understand that.
    However the really horrible AI (I remembered Blaine kept on using a hyper potion on his Rapidash even when the HP is full, and he wasn't the only person), the really bleak storyline (it's just winning your rival, really...), and the fact that there's a huge group of people worshipping that generation as though they're gods is kinda pissing me off.

I understand that it is Gen I. Pokemon was very new back then and will have a high tendency for faults. However the genwunners sometimes pisses me off real bad by thinking that gen is king and the others were plain sh!t.

For me, Gen III and IV were the ones I really enjoyed. Gen V was my least favorite out of all. XY was a missed opportunity due to its easy difficulty.

My thoughts exactly.

It ended abruptly? How so? At least for RS, as there was no Rayquaza that appeared to end the battle suddenly (but epically).

I just realized that I started Pokmon when I was 10 (Emerald) and now I'm going to be double that age in 3 days. A decade resulted in Gen IV (including HGSS remakes), Gen V, and the start of XY and now remakes to the original pair of the first game I got, and a Mega for the first Pseudo I owned (Metagross). I wonder what another decade of Pokémon will look like...

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • I'm not super excited, but the inclusion of contests and secret bases got my attention so I may attempt to get this at launch in my area (as opposed to waiting for the hype and long lines to clear from the store). I've had my eye on it since the announcement though because while I've been playing Pokemon since Gen 1, it's really Gen 3 that drove the point home for me that: "Pokemon is a thing I will be playing for a long, long while."

Braxien

Banned
    Years
  • I wasn't excited when ORAS was announced. Sure, I was happy for the remake of Hoenn, but I wasn't fangirling, unlike some people. However, now knowing that Pokémon Amie and Secret Bases are being implemented to the games, I can't say I'm not excited now.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • My thoughts exactly.

It ended abruptly? How so? At least for RS, as there was no Rayquaza that appeared to end the battle suddenly (but epically).

I just realized that I started Pokmon when I was 10 (Emerald) and now I'm going to be double that age in 3 days. A decade resulted in Gen IV (including HGSS remakes), Gen V, and the start of XY and now remakes to the original pair of the first game I got, and a Mega for the first Pseudo I owned (Metagross). I wonder what another decade of Pokémon will look like...

The originals didn't end abruptly. It didn't have a "storyline". I wouldn't really consider this a flaw since Red/Blue were the first takes at pokemon and ideas were not as established. Actually a storyline involving legendaries started mainly in Gen III. In Gen II some references were made to the legendary Ho-oh/Lugia but I believe it wasn't compulsory (only the rocket part was). Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I'm in the same age category as you... Time sure flies. I can still remember picking up Pokemon Ruby at the store and had no knowledge of pokemon back then. I can still remember how Winona and Steven whacked my ass (my team consisted only of a very high leveled sceptile and all other HM slaves).

Years
  • I've been waiting for couple years for this so naturally my expectation is high. But if it's at least anywhere as good as HGSS was then I'll be happy.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I'm still trying to kick myself down from being too invested.

I hated Generation Three. I still don't love the games. For me, they did everything wrong they could possibly do as a follow up to Generation Two.
    Generation Two set the bar high, it had backwards compatibility, a day and night cycle and a myriad of events scattered throughout the week, maps were well designed for reexamination later in the game, and a second region. It did a masterful job of making the games become even more alive than their predecessor.

While I understand that the loss of the backwards compatibility was a necessity now, I didn't understand it back then. To me it seemed like Pokemon had taken numerous steps back and wasn't going to be getting any better. It didn't help that the anime had gone down the drain and Pokemania was dying down as well. By the time Emerald came out to remedy at least some issues (For me the lack of a battle tower and the lack of animated sprites) it had been too late. I had already checked out of the Pokemon franchise.

Reflecting back on the games today, though, I can see that they should have been my favorite games. They're consistent with the stuff I like to see in games. I like having a variety of environments to just look at, and Hoenn definitely delivered. There were a good number of puzzles. Contests were a great way to occupy your time. Secret bases were great, but suffered from it not being easy to mix records (Due to having to be in close physical proximity). And the Trickhouse. The Trickhouse is love. (Although admittedly that was ONE feature I did love from back then.)

If they push the games just a little further all of my hang-ups will be resolved mostly or completely. I don't play Pokemon for the plot. But I do expect the plot to make sense. With the arrival of the the Primal forms it might just fix the main issues. X and Y had a day and night cycle, so it's likely that these games will as well. And well... They have opened up to possibility of another region. (Although in all honesty I would love to go to Johto in these games, even if it's unlikely.)

I AM excited but I'm trying not to be. I'm building these games up too much and it is sure to end in disappointment at this rate.

Years
  • The originals didn't end abruptly. It didn't have a "storyline". I wouldn't really consider this a flaw since Red/Blue were the first takes at pokemon and ideas were not as established. Actually a storyline involving legendaries started mainly in Gen III. In Gen II some references were made to the legendary Ho-oh/Lugia but I believe it wasn't compulsory (only the rocket part was). Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I'm in the same age category as you... Time sure flies. I can still remember picking up Pokemon Ruby at the store and had no knowledge of pokemon back then. I can still remember how Winona and Steven whacked my ass (my team consisted only of a very high leveled sceptile and all other HM slaves).
    That abrupt part was directed towards Bigdog xD
    I recall being beaten by them too. Even Glacia and Wallace (Emerald) were challenges. I hope they're still challenging for me and it wasn't just my noobness that made them difficult...

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    For me Hoenn was the last great region we got ,sinnoh was pretty cool but I just didn't care about Unova and Kalos . Maybe because i played pokemon when it first came out , so Kanto was home Johtto was my second home and Hoenn was my colorful vacation home. So this is why I'm excited

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I don't know why, but I honestly wasn't excited up until now. I didn't really warm up to the new Megas that well (not that they were bad, but I just didn't like them a whole lot); the character designs were either good because they were good to begin with, or they were downgrades from their original; even Secret Bases didn't hype me that much because they showed everyone as generic NPCs which signaled to me that character customization wouldn't be returning, which was something I was looking forward to seeing implemented into these games.

But now, seeing Brawly actually get a genuinely improved design, along with the chance that the Elite Four might use Mega Evolutions, I'm starting to get excited again!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Hoenn is my favourite region by far, and while I'm not as excited to see it as I thought I would be; I have a feeling that the moment I hear the music I will freak out.

I definitely agree with this. Seeing the Megas and characters in a magazine is completely different than playing the game itself. When everything comes together, I'm sure I'll be having a great time, despite how I may feel at any time during the months leading to the games' release.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2014
    I'm excited for it but that's only because I want to try the new/improved features. I've played the Hoenn games a lot to the point where I'm kinda bored over the story & games even though it's still my favorite gen . I'm going to not even try any Hoenn games until I play ORAS.

Years
  • I definitely agree with this. Seeing the Megas and characters in a magazine is completely different than playing the game itself. When everything comes together, I'm sure I'll be having a great time, despite how I may feel at any time during the months leading to the games' release.

Very true. Much like you I didn't feel as excited as I expected at first, especially after the evil teams and May and Brendan's redesigns, not even the Megas could get me excited. Secret Bases are what are doing it for me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    The new Kyogre and Groudon forms are awesome. I'm so hyped for this because I really missed the pokemon contests. I loathed DP's dances, and BW's were lame musicals. Hopefully it would be upgraded and be as epic as the anime made them look like. In 3D.

There's a lot of nostalgia involved with the hype, and that also applies to me. Hoenn has some of my favorite pokemon.

They're going to have improvements and add new stuff. Secret bases. In 3D. How could you not get excited?

Anyone ready to bathe with the old, sexy ladies of Lavaridge? XD Wonder how Nintendo's going to handle that. I guess the same way they handled that "caffeine-deficient" old guy in Firered.

Dudypokefan89

Gen II fanboy / Loving Nidoking rn
    Years
  • Gen 3 just so unluckily happened in a tough time in my life. Very personal stuff kinda caused me to slip away from it. I would even go as far to say that Pokemon as a fandom became lesser to me because of this time, making it into an on again off again series for me, yet still managing to get almost every game late as hell. Gen 3 was an oddball for me. Only Pokemon game (beside B2 and W2) that i never owned cart wise, and all my hype for it disappeared because of the before mentioned tough times. When i did play it, it was great, but it felt odd...like i couldn't enjoy it fully. I'm very close to hypeness, but is more of a meh for me, but crazy ol me will still buy it though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2016
    Thanks for everyone's responses, I'm glad there are varying opinions about this game. Hopefully, once we get closer to the date, something will really pop that will make me anxious for the games but right now I am as excited for ORAS as I am for a mystery dungeon game. Gamefreak seems like they are selling this game on just the name of POKEMON and not much else.

And I like how others said to keep my expectations low and play the game with an open mind. I would like to be pleasantly surprised.

In fact, I was pleasantly surprised when HGSS came out. I was studying aborad at the time of its Japanese release and I used an emulator to play it. Once I reached the Sprout Tower, I realized how much I missed Johto and I had to buy this game when I got a chance. I ended up buying the japanese import but it was still fun to play still. So who know, I'm just glad I'm not the only on not running on full nostalgia trip :p

Years
  • Well you could always just not look at what's being released and buy it when it is released, that might help you. But anyways, this is going to be a bit biased but w.e

Hoenn has the best or one of the best plots, I think 90% of fans would agree, so if they expand on this even alittle, it will be good. And it looks like they are. I am excited that I get to relive the best region(which also had the most post game besides like FR/LG which imo had a bad post game. nd hoenn had lots to do.To see it being repolished with more features just makes me extremely happy, every new it of imformation released makes me excited, but only for a bit.

Now, I know we've already played through this, but they are trying to get people who haven't played the originals to play this. I also think these will have a different feel to them then the original r/s because of all the new things being added and the new redesigns. But yeah, don't expect to much. Because if you ser your bar low, and they release things that you would have liked when you set your bar higher, you will be extremely happy. I'm also Wrighting this at 2 am so what do I know xD

Back