• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Japanese or English Black/White?

What version of B/W are you getting?

• Total voters

Katja

Years
    Japanese, for one important reason!

I'm learning Japanese and I got SS in japanese too. i've played enough pokemon games to basically know what to do, and everytime I don't know a word, I look it up (jisho.org), and put it in my POKEMON NOTEBOOK. :3

Only problem, They use a lot of slang!! It's very annoying, but since it's all in hiragana and katakana, it's a piece of cake.

Also, Japanese looks a lot prettier than english and I like the pkm names better. It's like a learning tool and pkmn in one!

I only know Hiragana, so I unfortunatly will be once again waiting for the English version.

Ok well, the game come out in like a few weeks or so? That's plenty of time to learn katakana! You can learn it easily in a week. You can do itt

Last edited:

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
    I wouldn't get a game like this if you don't read ANY Japanese, or if you have a bare-minimum understanding.

That being said, I'm importing White. I imported both HG and SS and haven't had any problems, other than occasionally messing up a word because they don't use Kanji. When I heard you could switch to Kanji in B/W, I flipped out and ordered White.

Woo!

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
    I understand hiragana and i think i could learn the rest of katakana(only 10chars left :P) till it comes out. But i think my japanese is still not good enough that i could understand everything whats going on, so ill go with english this time, i just hope i learn nihongo till next gen comes out >.<

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    For Us Left Behind...

I'll be waiting for the english version. but by the time the next gen comes, i should know enough japanese to play the games. then ill import it and buy the english one.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Merged with the Japanese or English thread, since it pretty much covers your questions.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i was far to excited for the games. i ended up importing both and i will prob buy both in english when they come out XD
    as well as the third game in both languages....because if i only got it in english then i would feel my japanese gen v game collection will be incomplete ^_^

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'd rather wait until the English version of B/W comes out. I can't understand Japanese, so the English version is worth the wait in the end.

Bay

Years
    I'd rather wait until the English version of B/W comes out. I can't understand Japanese, so the English version is worth the wait in the end.
    Same here. I have a lot of friends that are playing the games already (whether ROM or imported), and the temptation is killing me. I can just try to translate what is going on myself, but it'll take a while to finish the game if I do that. I'll just wait so that I can get through the game faster. In the meantime, I'll keep myself busy. XD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Agreed with above. Almost everyone I know is playing it and it's really hard waiting for the English version, but from what I hear, it'll be waaay good when I finally get to play it. 4 days down... 6 months to go. XD

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Well, do pokemon black and white work on the DS lite?
    if they do, im getting english, but if they dont, ill still get english
    just rom version

Maxite

Ideas and Insanity
    Years
    I know very little Japanese, but I still ordered a JP Pokemon Black more as a test to myself in playing a game in a language I can't really read (plus, I can raise a battling team early on, and trade them over when I get my English versions).

As far as story and such goes, I'll wait for the English version to care.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    I pre-ordered/am getting JP Pokemon Black and will pre-order/will get EN Pokemon White next year (probably in March). I've always gotten both versions in English, but this time around I couldn't resist the temptation, plus back when RS/FRLG/HGSS were released in Japanese I didn't have a credit card, so this is the first time I have both been able to get the JP game. ;P

Shadow01192

RK9 Unit
    Years
    I am actually tempted to buy it in Japanese to help me learn to read Japanese lol. That being stated I am likely getting the American Black version. Reshiram ftw

Martins

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    I actually got the Japanese Pokémon Black 3 days ago. I will pre-order it and Pokémon White in English when it's translated.

Years
    I'm just waiting for Pokemon B/W to be released in English. Hopefully, I'll actually have a new DS by then... If not, then I guess I'll be waiting longer than that. xD

Years
    I may cave and order a Japanese version of B&W, because 6 months is a long time to wait. D: I don't think translation/Language barrier will be too bad to cope with, Ill just lurk in the B&W translations+Help sticky. :D

But I will definitely buy both English versions when they are available. I'm most likely going to reserve them at Gamestop.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I may cave and order a Japanese version of B&W, because 6 months is a long time to wait. D: I don't think translation/Language barrier will be too bad to cope with, Ill just lurk in the B&W translations+Help sticky. :D

But I will definitely buy both English versions when they are available. I'm most likely going to reserve them at Gamestop.

That's my plan. My copy of Black should be getting here today, and if I need any help... I got YOUTUBE <3 and then the translation topic here too. =D Plus, I already pre-ordered White at my Gamestop. So excited!

Xine

I LIEK U
    Years
    English.

i hope the loooong wait's worth it... :D

also, im sooo totally want to get black....but it version exclusive sucked. :C
    i think i'll choose white....or maybe both.

edit : according to some information, Wargle and kamen rider is in black.

YAAAAAY

Last edited:
    Back