• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Johto Legends - The Second Generation

which of these things should stay? [you may select more than one option]

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Name: Hybrid Trainer
    What you would like others to call you: Hybrid or David I guess.
    Partner Pokémon: Houndour
    Favourite Gen II Pokémon: Too many to pick from ;; I guess Politoad? I usually get a shiny one and raise along side a shiny Ninetailes.
    Reason For Joining: Pokemon Silver was the game that made me fall in love with Pokemon. I played Pokemon Blue but I was too young to understand what was happening and to really enjoy it.

Topics and such~

- Which do you like better? HeartGold or Soulsilver?
    I prefer Soul Silver simply because of the version exclusives. My favourite pokemon is Ninetales so it's not really a surprise that I'm going to side with the version that has that pokemon. Also I liked the Lugia cut scene a lot more than the Ho-Oh one. The use of the cave system and the waterfall was amazing.

- What did you do to the Red Gyrados?
    In my original playthrough of Pokemon Silver I kept it as part of my team and used it as a HM slave. Bare in mind that I wasn't aware of shinies and I just thought that it was some special pokemon. On all my other playthroughs of silver though I trained it as a part of my team because Gyrados is amazing but I could never be bothered to catch and train a magikarp.
    In my Soul Silver run though I just boxed it. I'd already planned out a team before hand so I didn't need it.

{it's a whole new world we live in}

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    'Which Gen II Pokémon do you think has the most uncreative design?'
    Uncreative design huh?

I would have to go with these fellas:

He's a bore.

ABC letters really? They aren't very creative to me...with just adding Eyes to black letters.

Same 'ol, same 'ol deer..or buck...or whatever it is suppose to be.

Nagaraja

আমি সর্প থেকে নোয়ান নিচে হবে
    Years
  • I would LOVE to join

Name: Nagaraja
    What you would like others to call you: Nagaraja or Leksi
    Partner Pokémon: Hanako the Jumpluff
    Favourite Gen II Pokémon: Misdreavus, Corsola, Suicune, Sentret, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff
    Reason For Joining: G2 brough along MANY creative new pokemon, and most of them have become my favorties. Especially the Hoppip line. I have loved them ever since I got the first Japanese Jumpluff in my Kanto special deck.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Hi there hybrid and nagaraja! :)

ABC letters really? They aren't very creative to me...with just adding Eyes to black letters.

I cannot believe I have forgotten about the unowns. I agree with you. Heiroglyphs are supposed to be interesting symbols, but 26 Greek Letters? They could do better with alternate forms.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Alright, since Ikaroschase hasn't been here for quite a while, I'll be the one managing the club for the time being. Any questions, request, etc. can be VM'd or PM'd to me, though if it's something just the least bit urgent and I'm not around, just ask AlexOzzyCake, I'm sure he won't mind.

Anyways, the new members have been updated and are now officially members in this club, even though some of them forgot something in their post ;p

I'm not sure if the current topic is old enough to be changed, so if the members think it is, feel free to change it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • - Which Gen II Pokémon do you think has the most uncreative design?

I think that most people confuse uncreative with simplistic sometimes :( Stuff like the unown are actually a really interesting idea, just because they are simple doesn't mean that they are uncreative :3
    Ones that I do think are uncreative are the baby pokemon. It seams lazy to shrink down a few pokemon and say that they are baby ones, especially when some didn't need baby pokemon to begin with like Pichu or Igglybuff.

EB

Re: World
    Years
  • Spoon - Take A Walk

I went back to the OP and found a question I really enjoyed, so I felt like elaborating on a few things. Not trying to change the flow of the current topic or anything; my gears just really started turning when I read this, so I hope nobody minds. ^-^

Second generation games (GSC) introduced a lot of new mechanics: Breeding, Shiny Factor, Pokerus, New Types (Dark and Steel) and Apricorns. Which of these is your favorite addition so far? Discuss. No one liners please.

Two of these additions really stick out in my mind: the additions to the elemental table and--one that was half-mentioned--Apricorns and berries. At first, due to the unmatched number of younger players that to this day threatens to annihilate the future of the series has single-handedly overrun the fan base, the new types seemed simply a gimmick added to bring in new feel, complexity, and enthusiasts to the franchise. It wasn't until later that I really grew to appreciate what the developers did when adding these two types: balancing the present and future metagames. (I won't elaborate further since this is fairly self-explanatory, but imo, this was one of the most influential additions to the series.)

Now Apricorns and berries gave birth to unique concepts that still hold true (although in slightly varied forms) in the generations to this day. These new item types went hand-in-hand with the idea of held items which still holds noticeable influence on the games, especially in the field of competitive battling; new beta-like pokéballs were introduced to invoke strategic capturing instead of the mindless chucking of the highest-valued ball that had developed with the previous generation; and may I digress, Kurt was just so swag [sic] in those games. =3

Last edited by a moderator:

miltankRancher

Years
  • - Which Gen II Pokémon do you think has the most uncreative design?

I think that most people confuse uncreative with simplistic sometimes :( Stuff like the unown are actually a really interesting idea, just because they are simple doesn't mean that they are uncreative :3
    Ones that I do think are uncreative are the baby pokemon. It seams lazy to shrink down a few pokemon and say that they are baby ones, especially when some didn't need baby pokemon to begin with like Pichu or Igglybuff.

I know that simple is not equal to uncreative. I like the concept of Unown, but I guess with the design they could do much better. And I really don't get the point of having 26 forms. :\ they could do with a single Alphabet pokemon and such.

I am actually fond of Elekid and Pichu. I mean, look at them. They look cute, but strong!

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Name:AWsqaured
    What you would like others to call you:AWsqaured, AW, Aaron(my real name)
    Partner Pokémon:Mareep and Umbreon
    Favourite Gen II Pokémon: Ampharos, Umbreon, Scizor, Sneasel, Tyrannitar, Typhosion, Lugia
    Reason For Joining: Johto is my favorite region next to Hoenn and Gold and Silver is one of favorite games.Plus it's a whole new world we live in!

Last edited:

miltankRancher

Years
  • Oh yeah! Umbreon is definitely a beast! welcome to the club! feel free to answer some ongoing discussion questions.

Let's have a new topic.

Among the key personalities introduced on Johto (including HGSS people), who is the most interesting and why? This includes Elm, Mr. Pokemon, Eusine, the Gym leaders, your rival, E4. Feel free to discuss anything related to them.

Years
  • To the old topic:
    Most unoriginal design goes to the Unown, Dunsparce(gives me nightmares) Pineco and Sunflora, a useless sunflower that can't see where it's going.Whoop!

On to the new topic:
    Among the key personalities introduced on Johto (including HGSS people), who is the most interesting and why? This includes Elm, Mr. Pokemon, Eusine, the Gym leaders, your rival, E4. Feel free to discuss anything related to them.

I'd have to say Whitney is unique, a very childish gym leader indeed, has a little tantrum when she loses. Chuck has unique ways of training *coughmeditatingunderawaterfallcough* Jasmine is a very caring person who cares about Amphy a lot. Your rival is good because of the way he acts and another interesting personality would be the hyuk-hyuk-hyuk guy from team rocket. Interesting indeed.

Olli

Years
  • Among the key personalities introduced on Johto (including HGSS people), who is the most interesting and why? This includes Elm, Mr. Pokemon, Eusine, the Gym leaders, your rival, E4. Feel free to discuss anything related to them.

I would probably have to say the rival. Not much of his personality was actually shown, nor any background or anything about him. He is the most mysterious rival of all that has been introduced up till now. With the few encounters you had with him through the games, you got to know that he was a bit of a loner, he wasn't much for approaching people, but he didn't want people to get in his way either. The only reason he constantly kept coming after you, was because he repeadetly lost to you, and wanted to prove that he could beat you. He didn't treat his Pokémon very well, as the man in the Sprout Tower had mentioned, and a thing which could also be traced off of his personality. He also despised Team Rocket like no one else, which was honestly kinda weird, 'cause he seemed like a person that would've been in Team Rocket. Though it was made kinda evident in FR/LG that he was the son of Giovanni, so it might have been daddy issues? Either way, he differs a lot from most other 'important' characters in the games.

miltankRancher

Years
  • I agree with the rival. Typical anti-hero antagonist who wants nothing in the world except to beat you, and yet his character is as colorful as any other. his mysteriousness and wants were not the usual of a video game character. He stand on his own platform. Definitely my favorite rival of all.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • I hesitate between the rival and Eusine... To tell the truth I think that Silver has lost some charisma in HGSS, while in these games Eusine was more interesting than in Crystal. Both characters are mysterious.
    The rival, being the son of Giovanni, has something else than any other ones. And, his personnality really make of him someone unique.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Among the key personalities introduced on Johto (including HGSS people), who is the most interesting and why? This includes Elm, Mr. Pokemon, Eusine, the Gym leaders, your rival, E4. Feel free to discuss anything related to them.
    The most interesting to me would be the rival. His personality and mysteriousness way much different than any of the other rivals. He actually seems more like an enemy while the others are just a friend/friends of yours. The fact that he's the son of Giovanni makes him even better.
    Eusine, is another interesting character. His pursuits to find Suicune are intriguing and he got a lot more developed in HGSS so I learned more about his character. I'm also glad the Kimono Girls interact with you more in HGSS. They became more developed characters and I find their personalities interesting too.

miltankRancher

Years
  • Eusine is a pretty good character. He's the epitome of obsession, but that is the the thing that made his character really good. In a way, I see Eusine as some kind of rival, but on a friendly competition.

Gonshiro

Zeon Lieutenant Junior Grade
    Years
  • Name: Gonshiro
    What you would like others to call you: Gonshiro, Gon
    Partner Pokémon: Sudowoodo, Scizor
    Favourite Gen II Pokémon: Bayleef, Quilava, Feraligatr, Sudowoodo, Scizor, and Ursaring
    Reason For Joining: Crystal has to be my favorite Pokemon game, in fact I am currently replaying it. I like the Johto cities, and I think that it's pretty dark compared to the first game (Slowpokes having their tails chopped off, Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage). I personally enjoyed the Morning/Day/Night feature, and it's a whole new world we live in ya know. I may have stopped watching the anime at this point, but I did enjoy Gold and Crystal, along with Stadium 2.

Olli

Years
  • Alright, so since there has been no sign of Ikaroschase returning, and since there aren't really any regulars in this club that want it, it's getting closed. If anyone wants ownership for this club, just say in the Grand-Master thread that you want ownership of the club, and answer the questions, or you can just remake the club.

Either way, Closed

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back