• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Junichi Masuda Confirms That the X&Y Overworld Will be 2D Only

Are you disappointed about the X&Y overworld being in 2D only?

• Total voters

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    Junichi Masuda said:
    We really wanted to make the overworld - the field - as beautiful as possible. We could put in a lot of grass and flowers, and try to make them as pretty as possible. When you don't use the 3D effect you are able to render quite a bit more on the 3DS. That's one of the reasons why we wanted to leave it off in the overworld, because it gives us more power to show off more beautiful graphics.
    ...That plays to the strengths of the 3DS, where you don't require glasses - you don't have to put them on and take them off at certain moments. You can just leave it on and then at certain specific moments, the 3D will come on and it will be more surprising or impactful to the player.
    Source: NintendoLife

Well, this is kind of a surprise. I mean sure, this has been speculated about quite a bit, but I never actually thought it could be real.

Personally however, I'm not too disappointed about this. What about you?

EDIT: Ok seems there's been some confusion. The games will still be set in a 3D environment using fully 3D rendered objects instead of sprites. All that this is means is that the 3DS' autostereoscopic 3D feature (3D without glasses) won't be utilized in the overworld. That's it.

Hope that clears things up.

Last edited:

Echidna

Years
    The map area. As in almost everything except for the battle screen and arguably the menu if it isn't gonna be exclusive to the second screen.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
    Years
    No, I'm not disappointed at all. The graphics alone are enough for me to be satisfied with. If it means improving the framerate, then I'm all in for it. Graphics are one thing, but efficiency and performance is what's really going to matter in the end.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    The map area. As in almost everything except for the battle screen and arguably the menu if it isn't gonna be exclusive to the second screen.
    Basically Kalos will be 2.5 D while Battles will be 3D ...
    I'm expecting some cutscenes to be in 3D...or at least I hope so.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    to me 3d is just a kind of fluff and only strains eyes...so no i dont really mind

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Still not completely sure what they are talking about, so let me ask this question instead.

While moving your character will it be like the other pokemon games where it is just a little person running around, or will it be similar to Pokemon Colo and XD still?

If it is still similar than Colo and XD, then I do not mind at all. However, if it is like all the other pokemon games like BW/BW2, then I will be a little bit disappointed, but not much.

Years
    Still not completely sure what they are talking about, so let me ask this question instead.

While moving your character will it be like the other pokemon games where it is just a little person running around, or will it be similar to Pokemon Colo and XD still?
    It'll be similar to the other games...so no Pokemon Coloseum like graphics for the overworld.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    More beautiful graphics my ass, the overworld is pretty meh in general. It lacks detail, lighting, and proper textures. And they're also using blob shadows. The only thing good about it are the character models, which don't have many polygons to begin with. I've seen way more graphically intensive games on the 3DS which can easily use the 3D effect without any performance drops or anything. (See: Kid Icarus Uprising)

It has got to be the frame rate, no doubt about it. But Game Freak always been terrible in the technical department. (Which isn't an excuse in the end when they have the money to hire talents.) Kinda amazing how third parties can utilize the system more than GF who are familiar with handhelds.

I'm extremely disappointed because I generally use the 3D but it's not really a deal breaker. Still a ****ing stupid excuse out of Masuda.

Years
    More beautiful graphics my ass, the overworld is pretty meh in general. It lacks detail, lighting, and proper textures. And they're also using blob shadows. The only thing good about it are the character models, which don't have many polygons to begin with. I've seen way more graphically intensive games on the 3DS which can easily use the 3D effect without any performance drops or anything. (See: Kid Icarus Uprising)

It has got to be the frame rate, no doubt about it. But Game Freak always been terrible in the technical department. (Which isn't an excuse in the end when they have the money to hire talents.) Kinda amazing how third parties can utilize the system more than GF who are familiar with handhelds.

I'm extremely disappointed because I generally use the 3D but it's not really a deal breaker. Still a ****ing stupid excuse out of Masuda.
    That's true...the games are lacking in the graphics aisle.

Kind of disappointed the overworld isn't going to be 3D...GF delayed Gen V's transition into 3D and yet they still haven't fully got into it...

OmegaTL

Time Lord
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    Seems a little odd, but I'm not disappointed. I almost always leave the 3D off, but I'm hoping for some nice 3D cutscenes none-the-less.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Then I am slightly disappointed, but I guess a lot of people who didn't like the idea of 3D will be happy. They could have shown that in the trailers instead of getting everyone's hopes up.

Echidna

Years

If it is still similar than Colo and XD, then I do not mind at all. However, if it is like all the other pokemon games like BW/BW2, then I will be a little bit disappointed, but not much.

It'll be similar to the other games...so no Pokemon Coloseum like graphics for the overworld.
    Then I am slightly disappointed, but I guess a lot of people who didn't like the idea of 3D will be happy. They could have shown that in the trailers instead of getting everyone's hopes up.

Woah before you freak out, lemme explain. The game will still be in a 3D environment, it's just that the 3D feature (autostereoscopic 3D) won't be utilized in the overworld.
    The trailers are accurate, don't worry.

OmegaTL

Time Lord
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    Yeah, I too am a little annoyed by the trailers making it look like everything was 3D. Oh well.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Woah before you freak out, lemme explain. The game will still be in a 3D environment, it's just that the 3D feature (autostereoscopic 3D) won't be utilized in the overworld.
    The trailers are accurate, don't worry.

Ah now that clears things up. Then it doesn't bother me one bit. The 3D effect, to make it look like it pops out at you, hurts my eyes anyways and I never use it.

OmegaTL

Time Lord
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    Read above, the trailers are accurate. Everything is in 3D.
    Maybe I should have worded that better. I meant the trailers caused a lot of people to think Kalos would be playable in 3D mode.

Back