• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Junichi Masuda Confirms That the X&Y Overworld Will be 2D Only

Are you disappointed about the X&Y overworld being in 2D only?

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Criticizing means room for improvement, and this is a big, and necessary feature. 60fps is important, same for 3D. (to a lot.)

And I'm not in the minority. Well I guess if you count pretty much every single person on the earth, sure, but among gamers? I'm not. This is a pretty common complaint against the game. Everything else I've seen is favorable for the games EXCEPT about this. I've seen way more complaints about the lack of 3D and the non stable frame rate over the usual "original pokemon are better". You don't see it here but trust me, in a dedicated gaming forum, you'll know what I mean.

I'm buying the game because I'm liking everything else about it, but this is a major turn off for me. It pisses me off, actually.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    WHOA. When heads are beginning to spin and folks are getting ready to pick up their pitch forks over a discussion about graphics based on people's opinions, then it's time to take a step back. We're all going to have different opinions about the graphics and GameFreak's choice of no 3D for the over world, but that doesn't mean we need to go grabbing at each other's throats trying to prove their more correct than the other. At the end of the day, it's just graphics and they're just games. And as far as other games go, this isn't the place for that discussion. We have a Video Games forum if anyone wants to compare graphics between games. Now let's take this down a notch and discuss this with a little less fire in the room.

Years
    Meh, I'm not disappointed one bit. I don't mind if the overworld is in 2D or 3D, personally I think I'll be able to look at it easier in 2D so it doesn't bother me. And I never turn the 3D feature on because it makes my eyes hurt, so it doesn't bother me it won't be used on the overworld.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I agree with you Hiroshi. It does look like a DS game still.
    Now I sure hope that GF went all out on the actual parts that are stereoscopic 3D to redeem themselves, if not it may come off as they didn't even try...

facekeyboarding

我恨普通话
    Years
    I have to agree with a lot of other people - the loss of 3D won't affect me at all, but it makes me mad that the frame rate and graphics are so mediocre. I'm not one to make a big woop about graphics all the time, but I was really hoping to see something at least on par with Icarus, Mario Kart, or 3D land.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    Good GOD not this argument again.

Capcom's first attempt: 60 fps fighting games that runs super smooth. 30fps in 3D but no drops.

Team Ninja: See Capcom

Tokyo EAD's: 3D Land running smooth and is visually appealing

EAD1's: Mario Kart runs at 60fps at both 2D and 3D, visually similar to the wii game too which is good.

Project Sora: A one-time team formed just to make one game. Their first attempt at a game, let alone a 3DS game: Kid Icarus Uprising. The most conent filled game in the 3DS, and very visually appealing and graphically intensive game as well. Frame rate smooth in both 2D AND 3D. Team disbanded after game was finished.

And this is ignoring the fact Game Freak has money to hire talent AND has experience with handhelds for 15 years. They're technically incompetent, there's no two ways about it.

Oh, and BW2 is pretty damn ugly and runs pretty terrible. 30fps with some drops because of rough 3D polygons? Get outta here, GF.
    Only the overworld runs at 30 fps, the actual battles run at 60 fps. The battles are actually fluent and I don't get any drops. Sometimes it slows down, but that's only because of how far they pushed the games. They used all the DS had to offer, if you're not expecting a little bit of slow down, then you're expecting a lot.
    Anyway, the frame rate hasn't even been confirmed yet, so why are you complaining? Once the game comes out, and you see drops and slow fps for yoursef, then you can complain.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    At first this bugged me.... I mean how can a 3DS game not use 3D??? But since they explained that it was in order to render more things in the overworld I'm actually happy about it! Good for them!

I have always said the 3DS shouldn't have even been 3D and just had more horsepower.

Back