• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Junichi Masuda Confirms That the X&Y Overworld Will be 2D Only

Are you disappointed about the X&Y overworld being in 2D only?

• Total voters

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Honestly, while this did catch me slightly off guard, it's no big deal really. Plus side, it's less strain on the eyes while playing. Eventually GameFreak will get there; little by little. It certainly has no impact on my feelings about the games.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Honestly, while this did catch me slightly off guard, it's no big deal really. Plus side, it's less strain on the eyes while playing. Eventually GameFreak will get there; little by little. It certainly has no impact on my feelings about the games.
    But you guys can turn it off after awhile...it's not like we can suddenly turn it on...

GF seems to be quite weak at making 3D games...

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    With all said and done, I wasn't expecting that this game would be fully 3D from the very start they announced X and Y. This is the first time(?) that they'd try to get the main games into 3D as far as I know. I don't really know about Pokémon Rumble and Gates to Infinity but I'd gamble those games are also 3D environments just like the Overworld in X and Y. If they're going to make a Pokémon Z version I could see them doing huge improvements from X and Y in the 3D aspects.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Doesn't the 3D being limited to the battle gameplay and cutscene also increase the battery span for your 3DS before turning red, so you can play XY for more than 2 hours (if you're playing on a normal 3DS)?

I'm kinda baffled at those who think no 3D function in the overworld somehow makes the game the worst installment ever, because I'm sure if their points are legit or are just finding ways to complain about the game and how the games they grew up with were superior.

Years
    Doesn't the 3D being limited to the battle gameplay and cutscene also increase the battery span for your 3DS before turning red, so you can play XY for more than 2 hours (if you're playing on a normal 3DS)?

I'm kinda baffled at those who think no 3D function in the overworld somehow makes the game the worst installment ever, because I'm sure if their points are legit or are just finding ways to complain about the game and how the games they grew up with were superior.
    Thus far I've seen no one bring up the past games in this thread or calling it the worst installment ever...it certainly makes them a bit less appealing for those of us who were looking forward to seeing Kalos in Stereoscopic 3D doesn't ruin them...well for me at least.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

I don't think it'll save your battery life. Even if the slider isn't doing anything, if its on, then its on. It may not show in 3D at all but so long as the 3D lights up on the side of the slider to indicate that you are using the 3D function it will drain your battery the same way.

Years
    I don't think it'll save your battery life. Even if the slider isn't doing anything, if its on, then its on. It may not show in 3D at all but so long as the 3D lights up on the side of the slider to indicate that you are using the 3D function it will drain your battery the same way.
    Unless the light on it turns off while in Overworld automatically (I've seen it happen in some 3DS games for short periods) but irc it doesn't at least in the demo videos.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    You know come to think of it, I'm glad the overworld isn't in 3D. Don't get me wrong here, I love the 3D effect of the 3DS, but as Mr. Masuda so kindly pointed out, the 3D's dramatic effect will multiply by bounds being exclusive to battles and cut scenes. Imagine this, you're just walking around and all of a sudden a wild Pokemon jumps out at you in 3D. Just makes the surprise that much more pleasant.

maybe now I'll stop using repels literally everywhere I go even if there's no chance of wild Pokemon

EDIT: Could one of you lovely smexy mods add the option "I think it's better this way." to the poll options? Thanks in advance <3

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I couldn't care less. 3D was NEVER even remotely a factor into why I wanted a 3DS. It's really just a pointless gimmick in my eyes. Games are what's more important.

However, I don't think that X/Y's field graphics are anything to brag about. If they look anything like the early shots (which I'm sure they do), they look like DS graphics.

Years
    Hmmm. I'm of mixed opinons here. Strangely enough though, this fact that it's 3D doesn't affect my opinion on the game in the slightest, however...

I am somewhat disappointed that the inclusion of 3D hasn't been implemented. I do try to use 3D wherever I can in 3DS games as I feel that I am getting the most out of the game then. Whilst I understand that the limited 'sweet spot' can get irritating when playing 3D games, I still think that the stereoscopic 3D is impressive and it doesn't affect my eyes like some of you seem to claim - must be a personal thing I guess. Even so, I was really hoping to be able to pick and choose where to use the 3D - in actual fact, considering one of the predominant themes of the games is beauty, I was quite surprised that this feature wasn't FULLY implemented due to the stereoscopic 3D graphics vastly affecting the visuals - and thus making it more "beautiful" (quote, unquote).

Nevertheless, as I said before, it doesn't affect my opinion of these games whatsoever. We have lived without stereoscopic 3D in Pokémon games up until now, and we can only be impressed by what's to come. I for one am between the most and least popular opinion in the poll above:

It doesn't affect my opinion about the games, but I am sort of neutral about this development, whereby I wished it were implemented, but am not overly affected by its exclusion.

Last edited:

Years
    You know come to think of it, I'm glad the overworld isn't in 3D. Don't get me wrong here, I love the 3D effect of the 3DS, but as Mr. Masuda so kindly pointed out, the 3D's dramatic effect will multiply by bounds being exclusive to battles and cut scenes. Imagine this, you're just walking around and all of a sudden a wild Pokemon jumps out at you in 3D. Just makes the surprise that much more pleasant.

maybe now I'll stop using repels literally everywhere I go even if there's no chance of wild Pokemon

EDIT: Could one of you lovely smexy mods add the option "I think it's better this way." to the poll options? Thanks in advance <3
    I'll admit that's one of the good things about it for someone like me who likes the 3D. We'll be surprised by it :). Especially if there's some random cutscenes :3

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Well, now that they've done that perhaps I won't feel so awkward while playing the games. But yes, it is rather disappointing, considering the 3D possibilities and a more dynamic level map system. I just suppose it had to be, my opinion isn't very changed just because of this.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'm not surprised and I'm not disappointed, I remember this topic arose a couple of months ago although unconfirmed I was expecting it to happen. I'm not disappointed because from what I've seen from trailers/screenshots etc, I'm still very impressed with the graphics of the Overworld as they are.

Years
    well, that was something I didn't expect. To be honest, I would like to have the 3D effect on while wandering around but the graphics are pretty cool so I don't mind. :) At least we'll get to see the battles in 3D :)

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
    This doesn't bother me a little bit. I do not always use the Autostereoscopic 3D in my games. I only turn it on when I play Theatrhythm to be honest. And I am not surprised or bothered in the slightest about it. At least we get to see battles in 3D, right?
    Then again, I don't know why all the fuss about the overworld not being in autostereoscopic 3D.

As long as the game is good and has a lot to offer, I don't think graphics should rule in judging the game. Graphics do not necessarily define how good a game is. It adds to the experience but enjoying and experiencing the game itself matters much more :)

I hope the game doesn't disappoint :)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I really don't care. In fact if it means more detail in the over world I fully support it.

I've never played pokemon for stereoscopic 3d in the past and I certainly don't need to now.

Let's just say it wasn't one of the primary reasons I bought a 3ds. I rarely turn on the 3d effect because I find it hard to concentrate on the game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    The 3D autostereoscopy features are for merely aesthetic use only.
    However moving to an another console, they should have fully utilize the features of that system.

Or at least increase the framerate, if they're using the pseudo-3D like the last two Gens(?),
    Because we're in 3DS now, they should be able to up the fps since pseudo-3D are not that much memory consuming compare to real 3Ds.

Years
    The 3D autostereoscopy features are for merely aesthetic use only.
    However moving to an another console, they should have fully utilize the features of that system.

Or at least increase the framerate, if they're using the pseudo-3D like the last two Gens(?),
    Because we're in 3DS now, they should be able to up the fps since pseudo-3D are not that much memory consuming compare to real 3Ds.

They are using normal 3d, and by the gameplay demo and the trailers that I watched the framerate is seem to be faster than 4th and 5th generation gaming, to me it seems even faster then 3rd gen.

Back