• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Junichi Masuda Confirms That the X&Y Overworld Will be 2D Only

Are you disappointed about the X&Y overworld being in 2D only?

• Total voters

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    To me the 3D still feels kind of weak...at least compared to the home console games...
    I am grateful for that, tbh. I didn't want Pokemon to just take one huge step in-between generations. This more moderate half-step, if you will, is just perfect for Gen 6. This is a discussion for another thread though.
    Maybe I should have worded that better. I meant the trailers caused a lot of people to think Kalos would be playable in 3D mode.
    Ah.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    As long it is 3D environment or three dimensional objects and characters I couldn't care less. I don't use the 3D function anyways.

I.T.

The Pokémon Cartel
    Years
    As long it is 3D environment or three dimensional objects and characters I couldn't care less. I don't use the 3D function anyways.

Same BUT do expect battles to use the 3D functionality though. Could care less about the overworld not supporting the 3D effect.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    It's probably just GameFreak not having the chance to fully optimise development for the next Nintendo console. Again.

They just keep on iterating and refining every time. Diamond/Pearl -> Platinum? Refinements galore, plus some crazy use of 3D (Distortion World). Platinum -> HeartGold/SoulSilver? A proper use of the touchscreen and prettier particles. Oh, and much better music samples. HeartGold/SoulSilver -> Black/White? Every single environment is displayed in 3D. Oh, and those wonderful music samples get carried over.

Watch them figure out a way to make the overworld look absolutely stunning and yet, continue to have stereoscopic 3D on in the next set of games. For those who end up getting a 2DS, it's not going to matter eitherway.
    Sometimes it feels like they purposefully limit themselves...

I hope you're right though and they do fully stereoscopic 3D this generation (or the next if the rumor of all Pokemon being in the game is true...as it could eliminate the chance of RSE (and possibly RG remake remakes), and even sequels if true...)

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    As someone who doesn't really use the Sterescopic 3D, this doesn't bother me at all.

At least they're going to implement Sterescopic 3D in other places, and hopefully it'll be used really effectively. :) We'll just have to wait and see.

Years
    This is probably an attempt to make the game better for the target audience, which has, since Generation V, become infants.
    I certainly doubt that...especially since infants are too young...but little children on the other case can always turn off the 3D or their parents will, or they could buy a 2DS if the 3D bothers them...

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I certainly doubt that...especially since infants are too young...but little children on the other case can always turn off the 3D or their parents will, or they could buy a 2DS if the 3D bothers them...

I've got to agree, not to mention they're adding a new depth to the game (take R/B/Y's pretty standard plot and compare it to B/W's plot for instance) that wasn't there when the franchise started. If anything, I believe they're going for a more mature approach now.

Years
    As someone who doesn't really use the Sterescopic 3D, this doesn't bother me at all.

At least they're going to implement Sterescopic 3D in other places, and hopefully it'll be used really effectively. :) We'll just have to wait and see.
    I'm hoping that some locations in the overworld will be exceptions, such as important locations such as castles and the league when you're outside of them. Also I'm hoping they use it for some cool cutscenes :3

Years
    Honestly, I will say that I was surprised to hear about this.. but not all that surprised like "OMG" suprised.. but I'm not going to let this one downside effect my liking towards what I've seen and I'll still be anticipating playing the game when it comes out in the next few weeks as well.

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
    Years
    Junichi Masuda Confirms That the X&Y Overworld Will be 2D Only
    How the game looks with the 3D switch off.
    How the game looks with the 3D switch on, except the battle is full 3D (along with cut scenes?)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    How the game looks with the 3D switch off.
    How the game looks with the 3D switch on, except the battle is full 3D (along with cut scenes?)

I can't see in 3D so I don't know if its just me, but there is like no difference between those two pictures. It could be that taking a picture of a 3D image doesn't work as it is supposed to or I just can't see it as per the norm, but...ya...there's no difference between the pictures.

Years
    I don't mind this, I only planned using my 3DS XL for X/Y anyways and I bet I probably won't use the 3D mode that often. While it might have disappointed some people, it doesn't mean the games will be unplayable. I'll still enjoy even if I don't have 3D turned on.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    Masuda said:
    You can just leave it on and then at certain specific moments, the 3D will come on and it will be more surprising or impactful to the player.
    I like this. :D In my other games, I frequently find myself activating 3D only during cutscenes anyways.

Thanks for sharing the news, OP. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't use the 3D feature at all, so, to me, this is not going to matter. I'm just happy with their current graphics quality, honestly. Pokémon X and Y may not be able to take full advantage of 3DS' graphical power, but their graphics are definitely a lot better than the ones we've seen in Pokémon Black and White.

Also, I don't think we'll be able to tell how the game looks with or without 3D just by comparing screenshots. To be able to notice the differences, we'll have to try the game out live and in-person, most likely.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Good I hate the 3D it hurts my eyes and when you turn the 3DS sideways slightly it looks trippy and hurts my eyes some more.

Years
    I don't use the 3D feature at all so this doesn't really concern me, but a real disappointment to those who were looking forward to 3D overworld. It'll come soon in later games, probably.

Years
    Good I hate the 3D it hurts my eyes and when you turn the 3DS sideways slightly it looks trippy and hurts my eyes some more.
    You don't need to have it on you know...there's an off button for a reason xD
    Sadly as I said those of us who actually use it won't get it :( at least for the overworld...so to make up for it they should make some awesome Stereoscopic 3D cutscenes!

Back