• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

London 2012 Olympics Thread - 27/7/12 - 12/8/12

Years
  • Congrats to Michael Phelps on winning 22 medals and becoming the most decorated Olympian of all time! Nice to be able to witness him win his final swim in his career.

Yeah, he is such a legend. Congrats on his Olympic success.

Yeah, I watched one of the rowing events with the Aussie-Brit rivalry and when the Aussies got silver, they looked so dejected. Ian Thorpe has been doing a fair bit of commentary for the BBC and I've been surprised at how upbeat he's been, given how not-great it's been going for Australia so far.

Anyways, congrats to the Brits! Australia gets another silver to add to the collection.

In fact, if one looks at Australia's swimming performance it's the worst results Australia has had since the 1976 Olympics.

Speaking of Australians, Erin Densham won bronze in a photo finish in the women's triathlon (Switzerland won gold, Sweden getting silver).

Also, congrats to Australian long jumper Mitchell Watt in winning another silver for my sunburnt country.

I mean, it seems like for Australia silver is the new gold. But I'm hoping the Australian athletics team will do better.

Years
  • That was a spectacular tennis final and I bet no one expected Murray to be taking the gold medal at the start. Potentially another one in the mixed doubles later as well. It's good to see personally since Nadal wasn't at the tournament and GB had no chance in the football.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Congrats to Andy, he was due a great victory like this for a long, long time. The way he smashed Roger in the key moments was amazing, don't remember seeing anything like that since Roland Garros 2008.

Monasti

Unknown master
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 19, 2013
    It was such a pity for Laura Robson and Murray, would have been epic if they got gold.

She's so sweet, and the other woman's annoying. They deserved it more.

But Bolt for 100m gold!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • GB have made such a comeback this week, primarily Saturday! Scooped 8+ golds within four days and made the best comeback since 1908, that to me is very admirable!

Years
  • I never doubted Bolt for the gold. It was pretty obvious he'd win after he cruised it in the semi final.

It's a shame we lost the mixed doubles final, but it wasn't likely because Robson wasn't as strong a player and Murray had just had his own final so it shouldn't be too much of a disappointment.

Monasti

Unknown master
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 19, 2013
    I wasn't quite sure after I made that post, watched Blake and I thought 'could he beat Bolt?' But I guess the answer was no.

And I know what you mean Nuke, about Robson not being as strong a player. But she's an 18 year old (also very attractive :X) and she'll be around until the next Olympics at least, and improving the whole time.

Years
  • That's why I'm saying we shouldn't have expected her to deliver a gold medal. I hope we do see that partnership again in 2016.

The medal rush seems to have slowed down somewhat, but we're still having a very successful olympics. :D

Jek

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 17, 2012
    I honestly expected Blake to cause an upset. Realistically, it was all pointing towards Bolt winning the race, but Blake was impressive; apparently not enough to beat the fastest man alive. On another note, I'm really enjoying volleyball and basketball -- last I saw GB was beating China. Any idea on who eventually won?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I also loved how when qualifying for the 200m, Bolt essentially jogged his way to the finish line and managed to make it look like the easiest thing in the world. Just two days after making the 100m look like the easiest thing in the world as well! Sigh...

Ivysaur

Years
  • I'm posting here just to congratulate France for their sporting spirit and their nobility when they are losing a basketball match they had been leading during the first three quarters.

Years
  • Off to watch the women's semi finals in basketball, it starts at 21:00 hours GMT. I made a sign which I'll be frantically waving around, in dedication to PC.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Well at least one US soccer team won gold! Congrats to the women's team for their win.

And props to Usain Bolt as well.

Off to watch the women's semi finals in basketball, it starts at 21:00 hours GMT. I made a sign which I'll be frantically waving around, in dedication to PC.
    A dedication to PC? That's pretty sweet man. Too bad I missed that game because I was asleep . -___- I would of looked for your sign man.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm posting here just to congratulate France for their sporting spirit and their nobility when they are losing a basketball match they had been leading during the first three quarters.

That is just brilliant, I got a good laugh out of that. It is very unsporting though, especially considering it's the Olympics.

I am really looking forward to the US vs Argentina in Basketball tonight, if Argentina hadn't screwed up their third quarter last time, they could've been in with a shot of beating them and I'm still hoping for an upset.

Ivysaur

Years
  • At this point, I'm just celebrating the Silver, since the USA... Jesus Christ. We can beat Australia as the third country with worst silver-to-gold difference, just behind Japan and Germany! Although, with out current 2G and 8S, we are the one with worst ratio anyway, since they have like 15 golds each XD

Years
  • Your country are my last hope for my dream of an upset in Basketball. Argentina fell apart in the second half again, but they were doing worse than the first time around going in to it, so it ended how most US matches have ended.

I really enjoyed Spain-Russia, very well contested.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm gonna be kinda sad when the games end up finishing. Maybe it's just me, but everyone around seems to be feeling strangely optimistic and positive... which is strange as Londoners are not known for their hospitality and general sense of happiness. It's probably only because Team GB are doing so well in comparison to previous years, but even still, it's been a really nice and pleasant two weeks.

My housemate has tickets to the taekwondo final tonight, and one of my other friends managed to get some tickets to the USA v Argentina basketball match last night, so he was over the moon! I've just been happy watching them on TV, but I'm kinda jealous of them now, even though I don't care for basketball OR taekwondo. :P

Years
  • I'm sad about the Olympics ending soon but I love how Australia is like totally owning the sailing... so many gold medals coming out of that. At least we're in the top 10 on the medal tally now!

And Australia gets another silver medal in the men's 50km walk.

Ivysaur

Years
  • I'm glad they -Australia- couldn't beat our girls in the Elliot Sailing Final :P 3 golds isn't that bad.

Also thank you Mexico for that great football final. Terrible stuff from Brazil, still goldless in their most successful sport.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Awesome, I totally called the final three in my own personal predictions. So awesome to see Mexico win, they were dominating Brazil throughout most of the match. Brazil came into the second half with more of a fire behind them, but Mexico regained their composure soon enough. Great victory for Mexico! That first goal at 29 seconds definitely set the tone for the match and helped Mexico play cool throughout. Fabian could be a truly great player with a bit of adjustment. Still so freaking happy to see Mexico win.

Back