• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mew or Arceus?

Mew, or Arceus?

• Total voters

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
  • アルセウス for me, in other words, Arceus. Pokémon's own mythological Pangu, and the reason I select it? I suppose it's the background. It's actually mysterious, while Mew... eh, we kind of know everything about it. ._.; Arceus to me just has the right feel going for it.

Ruphire

Feel the icy burn
    Years
  • I would say Arceus because it said in his pokedex entry he shaped the world with his thousand arms I mean think about it a thousand arms!!!! how cool is that

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I like them both but Mew will always have place in my heart, more than Arceus.

Years
  • I'm going to vote for Mew, because it's among my favourite Pokemon and I have such fond memories of it from seeing the first movie in the cinema when I was a kid and such, plus it's cute as all heck ^.^ it was also one of the first legendaries I learned about as a kid, alongside Articuno which is my favourite of the 3 legendary birds from back then as well

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Battling wise Arceus is who I prefer, mainly because of the type change

Inoku Akamu

the devoted one of the earth
    Years
  • I choose Mew because Mew came first in the Pokemon series and if the people say that Arceus is the "God" of Pokemon, they can keep that to themselves because I say, Mewtwo is the legendary God of Pokemon.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • I personally think Arceus ruined Pokemon lore.

Mind offering insight as to HOW he did that?

I choose Mew because Mew came first in the Pokemon series and if the people say that Arceus is the "God" of Pokemon, they can keep that to themselves because I say, Mewtwo is the legendary God of Pokemon.

Lol. "If the encyclopedia says that the Panama Canal was built in 1914, well people can keep that to themselves because I say, it was built in 1941."

Seriously, Mewtwo? Not only was he created by humans, he has "the most savage heart among pokemon."

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    First I'd like to dispel a couple of things that constantly pop up in this kind of thread:

"I dont like arceus, it's not the real pokemon god. Mew is"
    Wrong. Mew was never stated to be the god, whereas nintendo specifically call arceus the god on several occasions:
    pokemon diamond said:
    The pokemon that shaped the universe with it's 1000 arms
    pokemon pearl said:
    This pokemon was born before the universe even existed
    canalave library said:
    At the heart of chaos, where all things became one, appeared an Egg
    (A reference to arceus being born before the universe)

Also, arceus is classified as the alpha pokemon- Alpha means First
    Mew is the ancestor pokemon- Ancestor means Distant Relative
    It is therefore possible that mew is an old species of pokemon which all others are derived from, but he is most certainly not a god.

Next point:
    "Arceus isnt a god, no god could be captured in a pokeball!"
    -First off it's a children's game. I don't think Game Freak would be very responsible if the following popped up on the screen:
    You found arceus!
    Go Pikachu!
    Arceus Smites you with divine powers!
    You are dead, game over...

Whereas children will derive enjoyment from catching "The strongest pokemon ever". Its not about theology, it's marketing.
    -Next, the arceus we catch is not the same form that created the entire universe. If you're a literal kinda guy, then the arceus that created the universe had many arms, where this one has none (Arceus can learn almost any move, but cannot learn anything that requires punching). Also, a god has to embody himself as something, so by becoming a pokemon he limits himself to that body's capabilities and requires plates to use different powers.
    -Religiously, arceus loves all his creations and would rather submit to them rather than harm them, in a similar way to how jesus allowed himself to be incarcerated rather than go Godly on their roman asses- He has the power, he just doesnt use it.
    -Finally, its a game and hardly possible for them to represent the divine scope of power a god could harness.

Now I've made my points, arceus gets my vote 'cause he's a llama :D

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I'd have to go with arceus.
    His movepool is pretty good and can learn a lot of moves.
    Mew is cute(about as cute as a shaved cat), but cute doesn't cut it for me.
    now, as for the god pokemon debate, it points to mew whereas he supposedly made all pokemon.
    remember everyone that it said(for arceus) it was just a myth.
    Yeesh, everyone loves mew because "1T$ CutE" or because it can learn every TM.
    I really don't think cuteness could win a battle. and it doesn't matter that it can learn all TM's, it is still useless if you can't give it a good strategy.
    Now I've made my points, arceus gets my vote 'cause he's a llama :D
    Llamas are awesome :D.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I feel that mew is better, not because it's nostalgic, but because it's original (SAY NOTHING YET). It is a floating cat named after the thing cats say, that's original; and no one really knows about it, it has never really shown it's powers, or really been studied (enter Team Destiny, my idea for the sixth gen game). but really, I can't say Arceus is the creator, not yet.

Back