• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Mirage Of Tales

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2017
    Morning all, hope everyone is doing good! Work on the remake has officially begun, with the beginning town complete.
    I thought I'd post some screenshots comparing the old and the new! =)

Mirage Of Tales
    =>
    Mirage Of Tales

Mirage Of Tales
    =>
    Mirage Of Tales

Mirage Of Tales
    =>
    Mirage Of Tales

This looks amazing!

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    Hi avaramoon!

The new screenshots look very good!
    Are you also going to give azradon updated sprites?
    Good luck with your awesome project!!!

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
    Years
  • OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Sooooo excited to see this.

(I still have the old broken banner in my sig xD)

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2017
    Cant wait to play the remake, I personally really enjoyed the old version and I was pretty disappointed when I came to look for a new beta and then found out it was cancelled. Never the less I cant wait for the remake, hope it comes soon and good luck !

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hey everyone! No update today, sorry about that.

This is actually a bit of a community call for help, haha. As we all know I am a terrible hacker and my projects are buggy as hell. 90% of the time this is down to me not testing things widely enough on my own. I really don't have the time atm to super-test every new change I make to the rom (new job, overtime) like I should be doing. I sent patches out to people in the past for testing who never got back to me with bug reports which kinda defeats the purpose.

With 2 projects what I really don't want to do is put out a potentially unstable release, then have to spend all the time I should be using to work on new content squashing bugs instead. So if anyone has a bit of spare time and would like to beta test the new MoT and/or Ages of Faith and report every teeny glitch you find(with potential multiple playthroughs), leave a comment here or send me a PM! (And I mean, seriously brutal beta testing. You can even preface your bug report with "You suck Avara!" if I manage to do anything hilariously bad)

Even if you've messaged me before or whatever, I don't like getting in touch with people out of the blue expecting people to test it if they don't have the time.

tl;dr if you're seriously up for beta testing 2 games, PM me! I would be extremely grateful for the help.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2017
    Hey everyone! No update today, sorry about that.

This is actually a bit of a community call for help, haha. As we all know I am a terrible hacker and my projects are buggy as hell. 90% of the time this is down to me not testing things widely enough on my own. I really don't have the time atm to super-test every new change I make to the rom (new job, overtime) like I should be doing. I sent patches out to people in the past for testing who never got back to me with bug reports which kinda defeats the purpose.

With 2 projects what I really don't want to do is put out a potentially unstable release, then have to spend all the time I should be using to work on new content squashing bugs instead. So if anyone has a bit of spare time and would like to beta test the new MoT and/or Ages of Faith and report every teeny glitch you find(with potential multiple playthroughs), leave a comment here or send me a PM! (And I mean, seriously brutal beta testing. You can even preface your bug report with "You suck Avara!" if I manage to do anything hilariously bad)

Even if you've messaged me before or whatever, I don't like getting in touch with people out of the blue expecting people to test it if they don't have the time.

tl;dr if you're seriously up for beta testing 2 games, PM me! I would be extremely grateful for the help.

Are you doing 2 simultaneous projects? Why not pause one of them?

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    What if the building was on fire? And you can save only one. Which project would you save?

Both =P
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I have a slight update, but no screens unfortunately as I'm on my cell. I have zero internet connection at home right now, so I won't be on for a while! Just wanted to let everyone know about additional changes from the original to save confusion later. =P

So, in one of my recent playthroughs of the old game I was pretty stunned that I had it so that you could reach like the 6th city before receiving a single Career mission. I've now changed this; so that you choose your Career right from the start, after your "Exam" at the academy. This way you can jump right in and get started straight away rather than playing through a bunch of filler.

Another exciting addition will be two new Main Careers!
    This gives you even more options to tailor your experience - as well as being a Seeker, Researcher or Criminal; two more options have now been added and mission planning/storyline-winding into core story events are complete. I'll reveal these once I actually have some screenshots of stuff to show for it. =)

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2020
    [...]

Another exciting addition will be two new Main Careers!
    This gives you even more options to tailor your experience - as well as being a Seeker, Researcher or Criminal; two more options have now been added and mission planning/storyline-winding into core story events are complete. I'll reveal these once I actually have some screenshots of stuff to show for it. =)

What a teaser! Can we at least get a hint about what they are, pretty please? With a cherry on top? :P

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2016
    I hope one of the career path is a Ranger. . . .never saw a Ranger implemented in a Pokémon GBA Game, so it would be fun to see in this project.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I hope one of the career path is a Ranger. . . .never saw a Ranger implemented in a Pokémon GBA Game, so it would be fun to see in this project.

I did consider Ranger actually! Sadly though that's not one of them. The only reasons I ended up not going with it are
    A) I'm not sure what they're actually supposed to do? According to bulbapedia it's something to do with helping the environment or whatever but it doesn't say much else, would you mind giving me a better explanation?
    B) Due to the above I'm not sure how I could wind it into the core events that are mandatory for everyone in case it seemed off. Like, would it really be a Ranger's business to get involved in Gang wars or Seeker drama for example. I'm more than open to ideas for this though, since it would, as you said, be a good option! =)

I'm kind of a "pics or it didn't happen" person, so I'll post the Career choices when I have internet again! Lol

Years
  • I did consider Ranger actually! Sadly though that's not one of them. The only reasons I ended up not going with it are
    A) I'm not sure what they're actually supposed to do? According to bulbapedia it's something to do with helping the environment or whatever but it doesn't say much else, would you mind giving me a better explanation?
    B) Due to the above I'm not sure how I could wind it into the core events that are mandatory for everyone in case it seemed off. Like, would it really be a Ranger's business to get involved in Gang wars or Seeker drama for example. I'm more than open to ideas for this though, since it would, as you said, be a good option! =)

I'm kind of a "pics or it didn't happen" person, so I'll post the Career choices when I have internet again! Lol

My understanding of it is that Rangers are basically government-affiliated adventurers. Imagine Ash if he got paid for wandering around helping everyone.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    My understanding of it is that Rangers are basically government-affiliated adventurers. Imagine Ash if he got paid for wandering around helping everyone.

Ah i see! I don't watch the anime or anything (not an Ash fan) but if it's like that then I could definitely give it a go. =) I just found out there were ranger themed DS games, so I might look up one of their game guides or something to see which kind of quests and stuff they would need to do for some inspiration. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2020
    I did consider Ranger actually! Sadly though that's not one of them. The only reasons I ended up not going with it are

Pokemon Rangers are part of a governmental organization whose job is to protect the environment, the wild species that inhabit it and occasionally providing assistance to citizens who need it. Imagine a park ranger and a cop combined together - that's basically what they do. They use pokemon to help deal with or prevent ecological disasters, fighting off criminals who use pokemon for ill intents and even arresting pokemon poachers. In Pokemon: Rescue Series, I remember seeing a few of them distributing newspapers and delivering goods around a village as one of their side-jobs, because the place was somewhat isolated and people needed help with certain services in order to have a functional community.

Rangers and Trainers are different "professions" so per se - while any kid can become a trainer (assuming they have a pokemon) in order to become an official ranger they first have to graduate from the ranger academy. Only then they're allowed to have their first (and only) pokemon partner, whom they bond for life. Unlike trainers, who can have up to 6 pokemon in their party (and capture many more), rangers can only have one but are allowed to temporarily "capture" more depending on the situation, for example: a wild houndoor has been causing trouble in an area by harassing endangered species and starting small fires near a human settlement. The pokemon ranger can capture said Houndour and release him in a different location where he can still be happy but no longer poses a threat.

Rangers don't use pokeballs like Trainers do, instead, they use a device called "Capture Styler" - its basically a remote control that also has a built-in communication system and other utilities, like the Browser (Ranger's version of the Pokedéx). When a ranger wishes to command a wild pokemon, the Styler releases a small disk that, when in close proximity to its target, emits "friendship signals" that temporarily pacify pokemon into submission. As for what place this career would have in the game, well... If a particular organization were to go after endangered (and protected) pokemon simply because they're rare... or if some individuals were to use pokemon to conduct illegal practices, then I'm pretty sure a Ranger would step in to prevent that. Its their duty after all! ;)

That's basically the gist of it! Hope it was helpful. :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Pokemon Rangers are part of a governmental organization whose job is to protect the environment, the wild species that inhabit it and occasionally providing assistance to citizens who need it. Imagine a park ranger and a cop combined together - that's basically what they do. They use pokemon to help deal with or prevent ecological disasters, fighting off criminals who use pokemon for ill intents and even arresting pokemon poachers. In Pokemon: Rescue Rangers, I remember seeing a few of them distributing newspapers and delivering goods around a village as one of their side-jobs, because the place was somewhat isolated and people needed help with certain services in order to have a functional community.

Rangers and Trainers are different "professions" so per se - while any kid can become a trainer (assuming they have a pokemon) in order to become an official ranger they first have to graduate from the ranger academy. Only then they're allowed to have their first (and only) pokemon partner, whom they bond for life. Unlike trainers, who can have up to 6 pokemon in their party (and capture many more), rangers can only have one but are allowed to temporarily "capture" more depending on the situation, for example: a wild houndoor has been causing trouble in an area by harassing endangered species and starting small fires near a human settlement. The pokemon ranger can capture said Houndour and release him in a different location where he can still be happy but no longer poses a threat.

Rangers don't use pokeballs like Trainers do, instead, they use a device called "Capture Styler" - its basically a remote control that also has a built-in communication system and other utilities, like the Browser (Ranger's version of the Pokedéx). When a ranger wishes to command a wild pokemon, the Styler releases a small disk that, when in close proximity to its target, emits "friendship signals" that temporarily pacify pokemon into submission. As for what place this career would have in the game, well... If a particular organization were to go after endangered (and protected) pokemon simply because they're rare... or if some individuals were to use pokemon to conduct illegal practices, then I'm pretty sure a Ranger would step in to prevent that. Its their duty after all! ;)

That's basically the gist of it! Hope it was helpful. :P

Extremely, thanks so much! I'll probably not be able to implement stuff like this Browser/Capture Styler, but the other stuff seems pretty do-able. As for the only being allowed one Pokemon, I miiight need to bend the rules slightly for that one haha. It would be pretty unfair of me to let everyone but Rangers in the game have a full party, and impossible for Rangers to compete in the Tournament that way if they've only got their one team member. It does sound like it's a pretty big part of what the Ranger thing's all about though and it is kinda unique so I might just let them have a party of whatever size they want, then after the Tournament have them release all but their starter or something. I'll need to have a think lol. Consider Ranger added to the roster though!

Back