• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misconceptions you had as a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    Title says it all. What misconceptions did you have when you were younger than 13?

For about 4 years, there was an ongoing creak in my attic which scared the **** out of me. I must have been about 4 or 5. I was convinced that a hideous, 10 foot monster lived up there, and was constantly walking up and down the attic, planning my assasination.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    xDD I love the way you worded that!

When I was little I believed that a tornado would hit my house very soon, literally the next day..So I watched the Weather Channel all day long..I lived in Maine..xD

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    -That babies came from long-legged wading birds (Storks).
    -That the bogeyman is real.
    -That there was something living in my basement.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Misconceptions eh? Well for me it had to be that the boiler room was a room where my parents tortured all the evil cheek pinching aunts.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    There was a Santa Claus, and he had superpowers.

Both beliefs were false. ;o;

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I believed that we came from storks. D:

I believed in Santa. D:

I believe in the Easter Bunny. D:

I thought boys were supposed to love other boys. :P

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    When I was 5 I told my mom I was a lesbian because I walk on the sidewalk. Pedestrian and lesbian sound surprisingly similar to a Kindergartener.

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
    Years
    when the tornado siren rang we were all screwed!!

i was the best in the world at super smash bros. melee

and........ oh yeah! that we had smurfs living in our front yard!
    lol!

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    I had many misconceptions as a child. However, most I cannot list on here due to them either being innapropriate or too personal..

But I do have some I can share. I probably did some steryotyping (as a child, I was very naive, and still am), I'm not sure on that one though. I also have the usual misconceptions; you know, the closet monster, the monsters in the dark, and, after Are You Afraid of The Dark, the monsters under my bed. :) I also had a tendency to despise everyone whom I didn't know, at least after 5th grade. Another thing is the misconception in which I thought nobody would ever love me and I would spend the rest of my life alone.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
    I had many, about Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and the likes. My favourite is this though:

I thought that if you stepped on someone's grave, the ground would open up and swallow you, even if you tripped and fell by accident.

Cue me being very fearful when walking through graveyards. D;

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
    Many.

Santa, monsters under the bed, mosters in my closet (sounding oddly sexual to someone as perverted as me), all people in the world were good, death was fiction, gay means you like boys (even if you're a girl) and a lesbian is someone who likes girls (even if you're a guy).

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    There's numbers on the side of VHS packaging. I guess it's just like a product ID or something.

When I was really little I came to the conclusion that if I replace the last x numbers of my phone number with how ever many numbers there were in the VHS product ID that I would be able to dial and talk to characters from the movie.

This was attempted with the animated 101 Dalmations. Not sure what I was going to accomplish talking to a dog, but there you go.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012
    I believed that every human being had morals and that people were always nice to each other. How wrong I was.

Nemaru

nah
    Years
    One of the stupid misconceptions I've had was that up until a year ago I always thought a laptop was a labtop. Until I released it sits on top of your lap, and then logic hit me and I realized.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
    -That government did no wrong and was always right.

-That the last half-hour of the cartoon Where the Wild Things Are actuallu happened, with actual people. (Actually, some ******* just taped over the last half-hour with the last half-hour of Return of The Jedi)

-That pokemon were real, just very rare and hard to see. Me and my best friends would wander through the park, determined that there was a Pidgey in a nearby tree, and that we could somehow restrain it, capture it, and share it until we caught more.

-That by intense concentration, I could either use magic or the Force, as told to me by my older cousins. They were wrong:(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back