• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misconceptions you had as a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I was pretty logical when I was a kid so I didn't ever believe in Santa or the Tooth Fairy or anything like that. However, I used to think that if my parents knew that I knew, then they wouldn't buy presents for me any more. Of course, they probably knew that I knew.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
    When I was a kid, I thought that everyone got along with each other and nobody ever died. This was proven false. I also thought that Tennessee was the whole world. This was also PROVEN FALSE. Though TN is very pretty...

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I used to think this giant random rock in the middle of nowhere on the road from Tucson to Phoenix AZ was fossilized dinosaur poop.
    I'm pretty sure I believed it from when I was 7 all the way to when I was 9.

And then I realized when I was 11- Dinosaur poop would've decomposed by now.

[/scuttles out of thread]

Well, eh fossilized poop wouldn't decompose.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
    A scary misconception. That if I didn't go to sleep, a "bad man" would break into the house. That had me asleep by 7pm.

...ME TOO. o_0;; I believed in something like that, too...cept the man carried a dark green GARBAGE BAG, and, put u in it and was going to kill you. o_o; And that's what happoned if you stayed up pased midnight...lol

I was about 8 and I DREAMT about him and then thought he was real somehow (even tho the dream was like...SOO cartoon-y lol oh well *shrugs*) XD For awile, after that, I tried to be in bed by like....8 for awile lol

I also believed in Santa, The Tooth Fairy, and, i'm not soo sure I believed in the Easter Bunny...somehow, he seemed kinda fake to me. o_0; Even though, one would wonder how kids always got soo much CANDY...lol...but then again i wasnt really INTO candy as a kid, anyways...soo i ignored it.

I used to also believe that there was this tall, dark haired woman called 'Grizelda' that roamed around in the Produce Department in Super Stop'N'Shop....and, if I walked too close to her, she would kill me. I also believed that if you looked a teenaged boy IN THE EYES....something reaaaaally bad would happon to you. 0_o; Soo, sometimes, i would just look down at my feet when teenaged boys came by...I also used to believe they (and, kinda, boys older than me IN GENNERAL...) were bullies.

Heh...in some ways, I can't blame myself for feeling that way now (espesally due to how i hear jock-type guys feel about...'cute' things.....it's really scary when u think about it DDDD,: and im not even a kid anymore...but really, yea)

Trust me, though...I had some even STRANGER conceptions.....and, nowdays, I still do question some things. Yea...lol I'm kinda telling the truth though. :/

Michii

as in Mishy
    Years
    I used to think that the "olden days" from 1959 downwards was really in black and white. I thought the sixties and seventies were like, desaturated color. The eighties and up were in color :]. But even now, I think of the past in desaturated color. Everything from the eighties down is either partially desaturated or fully.

I also used to think that pancakes were called patty cakes and coinsidence was coinkedink. :3

BowtiePenguin

Proud; noble; penguins.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2009
    I used to think that babies came out of belly buttons, so I'd measure mine to be sure.

I never believed in Santas though... In fact, when I was three, I convinced my cousins to hide under the kitchen table with me, to catch our parents in the "santa" act, because I was tired of them going on and on about him... :S That was mean.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    I have a brother named Simon & when I was about three years old, I used to spell his name S1mon, oh the good old times...

Hyper Chibi Absol

The Chibiest Absol ever :3
    Years
    -Santa
    -That ghosts haunted my house
    -Thought sex was illegal no matter how old you were (Got the talk from my mom when I was 10)
    - When my class mates at grade school said, 'Pokemon is gay' I thought they ment 'gay' as in 'happy'.
    Spoiler:

- I thought shriveled up worms on the sidewalk turned into twigs. (o-O)

-When my great grandma died, when I saw her in the coffin for some reason, I felt like she'd jump out as a zombie.

*shrugs* No idea why.

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2019
    HAHA, when I saw the channel Granada (ITV, I believe) in the television guide, I used to always think it was specifically for Grandads lmao!

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I thought the tooth fairy was real. I thought it was the one giving me the money every time I lost a tooth. I also thought it was a girl, but then I saw this TV show, and ... well... ;w;

I believed in santa, and reindeerses and Ms. Claus and elves and stuff... all the way until Santa wrote me a letter that misspelled his name. =(

I believed in the easter bunny, but I thought that it didn't like me because I never found eggs around the lawn.

Oh oh oh... I thought Pokemon were real so I used to talk to my Pichu plushie.

I often thought Michael Jordan was the singer and Michael Jackson was the basketball player...

I also thought having sex was illegal because my mom kind of sucks at explaining things properly.

I always thought ghosts haunted my house. Whenever my house makes those noises on their own I thought it was trying to communicate lol.

I used to believe in those annoying chain letters... usually on YouTube but yeah. I did not want to be killed in two days by a little boy named Luigi. ;w;

I used to think that every semi-transparent rock I found on the ground and the lawn was a very expensive museum worthy diamond. :0

Once I found this really large and round rock and I thought it was a dinosaur egg so I began keeping it warm by... sitting... on it. o3o............... don't laugh

When I was really little I used to hold the water fountain down for most of the recess time, hoping that I would raise the school water bill and eventually shut the school down. XD

I thought barney was a bear. And I thought it was a real one too.
    When I was 5 I told my mom I was a lesbian because I walk on the sidewalk. Pedestrian and lesbian sound surprisingly similar to a Kindergartener.
    Yield to lesbians.

Last edited:

Napalm

Careful! That Stuff Burns!
    Years
    When I was about 7 or 8, I slept upstairs. Every now and then if I woke up at around 4-6am, I kept hearing things for some reason, I believed there was a monster/grizzly bear that was hanging around downstairs, when I remember that later on when I was 13, I felt very stupid.

ReddishDegree

Yes, I'm Insane.
    Years
    i had a few like Santa and the Easter bunny and that the Easter bunny would slit throat if didnt go to bed before he came (found that from a few teens messin with a 6 yr =()

and my favorite is when i herd Egyptians would pull brains out from noses and from that i thought my brain was in my nose ---dont laugh---

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    One of the one's I can remember best was when I believe I was in grade one or two. I had thought that the recent earthquake in California (that I guess I watched on TV), was more in a literal sense, where a chunk of the Earth would fall off as a result, and be lost forever in space.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I once believed that I saw Santa Claus fly past me house xD
    And it was in the morning.

Years
    -when I was 3 and my brother was due soon my mom told me God puts babies into peoples belly's.

-Once when I was 3 I dropped a rasin beside my bed and my mom said ants will come and eat me while I sleep. That night I had a dream that my mom walked in my room and I was a skeleton on my bed. That affected me for over year because I left a posical stick once in my brothers room and I thought he would get eaten.

-when I was 6 I watched mystury hunters for the first time and thought aliens were real and that I was alway being watched I was scared until I was 8, but now I still belive in them

- After watching Jurassic park when I was 5 I thought a t-rex was going to come in my room and eat me so I head under my covers with my teddy and said "You'll protect me"

-My name was Sakura and I would be a cardcaptor when I grow up. My mom also said I was scared of kero

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    I thought that if I ate this particular ball bearing I would be able to breath fire. Luckily I was never able to swallow it. I also always worried that a monster was hiding in the vents in my ceiling...that led to some long nights.

There's probably more, but I can't remember them now.

fango pango

This fire burns, always.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2016
    i watched harry potter and the chamber of secrets when i was like 5
    id have nightmares about how the basilisk qould come into my room and eat me O_O

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    ... Santa Claus, Pokemon, Harry Potter, Peace. Yeah, I was gullible

Path

Cool
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Dec 19, 2009
    When I was five, I thought adultery was sexual intercourse. Consequently, I was also positive that having sex was against the ten commandments and I'd go to hell if I ever had it.
    I thought Indiana and India were the same thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back