• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misconceptions you had as a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokehead

Pokedex 50% complete. 246 left
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    Love was real, seriously, I used to think that XD

Santa Claus, of course.

Ghost lived in the bottom floor of a house I used to live in.

Alien in the closet.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
    I used to think that when you bought stuff, stores gave you money, I figured that out by seeing the cashier give my mom her change XD

I used to think jackalopes were real.

I used to think that the AI in games were controlled by other people who were playing the game using that specific character elsewhere in the country.

I used to think people's shadows were alive and were simply copying our movements.

That it snowed everywhere in the winter.

I know there's more, i just can't think of them.

Pokehead

Pokedex 50% complete. 246 left
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    I used to think that when you bought stuff, stores gave you money, I figured that out by seeing the cashier give my mom her change XD

I used to think that the AI in games were controlled by other people who were playing the game using that specific character elsewhere in the country.

I used to think those two things too, glad to see I'm not alone :D

AND THEY WHERE CONTROLLED BY OTHER PEOPLE!!!!!! A.I. IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ayselipera

This is not your usual child misconception, but I used to think when the credits rolled after a movie it was all the words in the movie for people who could't hear. The only thing that confused me was that the first word was always CAST which I misread for Cats. So everytime a movie began I would listen really hard for the word Cats. Yeah.

Years
    This was when I first played Gold version. I thought the trainer (named Kyle) in Violet City (who had an Onix named Rocky that wanted to trade for a Bellsprout), was actually my friend, Kyle, who lived a few blocks over and went on my bus. I thought he was playing the game, too, and somehow my game hooked up to his. I thought I had actually traded with him. I never told him thank you for the Onix, though. It was a good thing I didn't, because he'd be confused and say that he didn't give me that Onix. lol

Some other Misconceptions:

Misty would be returning to the anime as a character in Hoenn seeing as how Brock did. Proven Wrong.

I never believed that certain characters were real. (Thank Rugrats for that. They had an episode where some guy removed the head off his costume. It was just a regular guy dressed up. I knew when I went to Disney for the first time that they were just regular people dressed up as those characters. So not fun, right?)

I never believed in Santa Clause. In Kindergarten, I told everyone that Santa wasn't real. Then in first grade, I played along and pretended to believe in Santa and then a kid said "he's not real." The kid was mean about it, too. My mom taught me that Santa wasn't real. My grandparents tried to make me believe in Santa. (My grandpa always dresses up as Santa Clause at Christmas time.)

Last edited:

Neutrino

The Jelly-Stuff of legend...
    Years
    I have something evry embarrassing to confess. It may be deemed inappropriate, but I still want to say it. When I was younger, on TV, when a woman was pregnant, I heard them say 'it was an accident'. Until Sex-Ed in year 6, I used to think that woman could get pregnant just by touching... O_o

Boy was I suprised......

Years
    Used to think if I took too long poopin' that a sewer eel would swim up and bite me in the naughty bits. Then a few years later, I learned that was hilarious.

Used to think homeless people ate stuff to smell so bad.
    Then I learned of booze and mouthwash (on sale).

Used to think sea gulls were graceful flyers until feeding them in a parking lot, one landed so fast it ripped BOTH of its feet off on the pavement. Gross. Especially when the other sea gulls started to cannibalize it...

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    When I was 5 I told my mom I was a lesbian because I walk on the sidewalk. Pedestrian and lesbian sound surprisingly similar to a Kindergartener.

LOL now THAT'S funny.

I used to believe that this one stamp I had would glow like a spotlight when I was asleep, and would stop glowing when I would try to catch it. D:

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
    Years
    When i was like 5, some older kids told me and my friends that if you kissed a boy you would get pregnant, at the time i didnt understand pregnancie, i just thought it was bad. so for like 3 years i was afriad of boys, untill i had health class.@_@

Also when i was 5 i believed in the tooth fairy and santa claus. i stopped believing in santa claus when i was 6 and i went into the living room cause i coudent sleep,(christmass eve) and saw my parents wrapping my presents.
    i stopped believing in the tooth fairy when the tooth fairy woke me up reaching her hand under my pillow. instantly knew it was my parents.

and still to this day im afraid of the dark. sigh, i dont think im going to get over that fear anytime soon.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
    I thought the world was full of peace and love, but later found out that it wasn't. The tooth fairy. santa claus i sorta knew (played along to get more gifts)

Years
    When I was younger, I believed the signs on highways that said "Commercial Vehicles Only" meant that only cars shownon TV commercials could drive on those roads.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    The only misconception I have had as a child was that this thread was called "Miscarriages you had as a child."

Tamaki

☆ Puh puh puh poker face ☆
    Years
    When I was 5 I told my mom I was a lesbian because I walk on the sidewalk. Pedestrian and lesbian sound surprisingly similar to a Kindergartener.

XDDD

When I was about 5 I saw one of those metal electric towers, and I thought it was the Eiffel Tower. For about 6 months I thought I lived in France...

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    As as child I had many misconceptions, but who was I know to that what I was told was lies?

• Like Santa and all of them magical gift giving deities.
    • That people always had good intentions even if they were going about it the wrong way .
    • That parents were always supposed to get along and stay with eachother forever... well, I figured that out the hard way.
    • Plus many more that I couldn't/wouldn't post here.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I used to think this giant random rock in the middle of nowhere on the road from Tucson to Phoenix AZ was fossilized dinosaur poop.
    I'm pretty sure I believed it from when I was 7 all the way to when I was 9.

And then I realized when I was 11- Dinosaur poop would've decomposed by now.

[/scuttles out of thread]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back