• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    that simply comes from the fact that when you try to catch 'm it weirdly catches a ditto instead however the battle continues and if you try to catch the 'm again you will catch it. Hope you understand.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • so it's true that one of them can be Kangaskhan how about the rumor that missingno. is a glitched out ditto???

There are more glitch Pokémon than just M. and Missingno.

You should try out http://glitchcity.info/, they've researched a lot into glitch Pokémon and I believe there's a glitch Pokédex and even a glitch Movedex explaining their findings. It's an interesting read.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    So true. Missingno. and 'M are different. Missingno. evolves into Rhydon and 'M evolves into Kangaskhan, and if done proprely, Rhydon. 'M is the only way you can get a flying Kangaskhan. Indigo Plateau is improperly tiled? Never knew that. Missingno. is not a Ditto, it's random tiles and HEX values, and there are many errors in the game, like Missingno. Charizard.

dragpyre

The Brother's Fight For Hell
    Years
  • So true. Missingno. and 'M are different. Missingno. evolves into Rhydon and 'M evolves into Kangaskhan, and if done proprely, Rhydon. 'M is the only way you can get a flying Kangaskhan. Indigo Plateau is improperly tiled? Never knew that. Missingno. is not a Ditto, it's random tiles and HEX values, and there are many errors in the game, like Missingno. Charizard.

Its actually "Charizard M," and it turns your whole team into an array of bulbasaurs that know explosion, and only your third move is saved.

And if you leave Missingno. in the PC, it turns into a Rhydon, and if you level up an M' it will evolve into a Kangaskhan. And yeah, if you walk over it using walk anywhere codes, you see what they had used to fill the gaps.

Last edited:

JaggedMan

The Cheese Pokemon!
    Years
  • Missingno has 4 forms(if not discussed yet) It as a skeleton aerodactyl and skeleton kabutops form, Ghost form, and M block form. That is interesting info I think. I would post a link to cool stuff, but I am still a noob, :p.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    There are 105 versions of Missingno. and not 4. We proved that already.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • Ah, Missingno. I feel bad for the younger kids who never got to experience the glitches of R/B/Y.

You know, I always thought it would be really awesome if they actually released a Pokemon based off of Missingno in the 5th Gen, just to acknowledge those that have been playing since the very beginning. Its description could be something like, "A wild Missingno is born whenever data corruption occurs. It generally spends its time eating bytes of data, leaving holes in cyberspace. It is due to this that it has become a pesk among the tech-savvy world."

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    There are 105 versions of Missingno. and not 4. We proved that already.
    The number is actually 39, but he is correct in that there are four distinct forms of Missingno. Three of them are placeholders for sprites, while all thirty‐six others are identical to each other.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    What about the other 76 spots?

Also, Missingno. got a POKEDEX name in RSE.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2009
    MissingNo Like that blob looks kind of like a Koffing Smiling if you look closely its weird the dots make a kind of smile

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2009
    ah Missingno. I remember how i wanted to kill it after it screwed up my hall of fame irreversibly. *sigh* guess i shouldn't have caught it XD. Still...it's rather fun to multiply your master ball

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2009
    Was Missingno in the Original Japanese Red and Green? if it was then it also implies it name was translated to fit the English which may imply some level of intention from the creators.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Yes, in the original Red and Green he was known as Ketsuban. Ketsuban is a Japanese word describing a concept where certain numbers are considered unlucky, sort of like how 13 is "unlucky" in the West. It translates directly to "Missing Number."

However, one of the 39 slots known as Missingno. in the English was not called Ketsuban in the originals. This is the one with a ghost sprite, which is just called "Ghost" in those versions. This lends credence to the theory that Missingno. is just a "filler" Pokémon, and three of these fillers were used to display sprites for special Pokémon that otherwise had no characteristics (i.e. Ghost and the two fossils).

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2010
    so as i can tell that sounds like a simple word a bugged pokemon based on a filler which eventually shouldn't be actually in there and aswell should be in there if i am right right ?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back