• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    The other glitches obtainable without hacking are a lot more fun to play around with.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Oh, god. This is long.

Wow!
    How did you figure all of this stuff out?

It takes time, practise, a lot of HEX values, and ROM Hacking skills (but those are optional). We know more than needed and I am working on a book about this.

I didn't see Missigno when I play Pokémon Red.

How did you do the glitch?

Hmm, what do people tihnk Missingno. would look like if the makers decided to make it a proper Pokemon?

I think it looks fine already. Plus, the creatyors knew about Missingno. or we wouldn't have the US name.

check this out if you don't mind

http://trsrockin.com/missingno4.html

We saw every page of TRSRockin' and it's outdated extremely.

so as i can tell that sounds like a simple word a bugged pokemon based on a filler which eventually shouldn't be actually in there and aswell should be in there if i am right right ?

It shouldn't be in there, correct, but they need to fill it up with something. It's not a random name either, Nintendo expected this. Wait, they expected this?

Yes, in the original Red and Green he was known as Ketsuban. Ketsuban is a Japanese word describing a concept where certain numbers are considered unlucky, sort of like how 13 is "unlucky" in the West. It translates directly to "Missing Number."
    However, one of the 39 slots known as Missingno. in the English was not called Ketsuban in the originals. This is the one with a ghost sprite, which is just called "Ghost" in those versions. This lends credence to the theory that Missingno. is just a "filler" Pokémon, and three of these fillers were used to display sprites for special Pokémon that otherwise had no characteristics (i.e. Ghost and the two fossils).

And that also backs up what I just said in a few words, but that's basically it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    What's outdated about trsrockin? Nintendo never expected Missingno. to be encountered. It is basically something programmed to fill in certain empty slots. The other glitch pokemon such as .4 and LM4 however are pokemon which came to exist because missingno. wasn't programmed to fill in all of the empt slots, random data from other place came into these empty slots because of this and voila you have glitches like .4, LM4, Glitcherino etc.

Last edited:

JaggedMan

The Cheese Pokemon!
    Years
  • What's outdated about trsrockin? Nintendo never expected Missingno. to be encountered. It is basically something programmed to fill in certain empty slots. The other glitch pokemon such as .4 and LM4 however are pokemon which came to exist because missingno. wasn't programmed to fill in all of the empt slots, random data from other place came into these empty slots because of this and voila you have glitches like .4, LM4, Glitcherino etc.

It's outdated because there is nothing new on the site. Valuable information but nothing new. I knew it was abandoned for a while. The new stuff are from 2007 and it is now 2009 as you know. Just plain outdated.

timekaiser

Friend Code: 1634 5420 3920
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    Yeah MissingNo...yeah the best thing about pokemon with a story i cannot explain hopefully someone else can...

My MissingNo was leveled high and evolved in to a Moltres like Bird pokemon with Sky Attack 2 Water Guns and whatever else it had...at the highest level for that bird thing it evolved again...into brock...like his sprite was there it was awesome...then Brock evolved into a Kangaskhan and didnt evolve afterwards....

JaggedMan

The Cheese Pokemon!
    Years
  • Missingno has these moves (most of the time). Sky attack, TM 42 or 28 I think, water gun, and Missingno is glowing! (that last one is odd but I don't know the name of the move that makes you glow). Those are the main moves I know of.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Missingno has these moves (most of the time). Sky attack, TM 42 or 28 I think, water gun, and Missingno is glowing! (that last one is odd but I don't know the name of the move that makes you glow). Those are the main moves I know of.
    Sky Attack makes Missingno. glow one turn and attack the next. Sort of the reverse of Hyper Beam.

JaggedMan

The Cheese Pokemon!
    Years
  • I am eventually going to experience missingno for myself so I can tell you more information. I know a lot already from my research, but now I would really know the story for myself.

JaggedMan

The Cheese Pokemon!
    Years
  • not really a hack... you can find MISSINGNO in a part of the ocean off of cinnibar island. The rocks that are supposed to be there are not there so you can go in the glitchey part of the ocean where you can find missingno. Just so you know a glitch and a hack are a little different from each other. :)

Years
  • Yeah, MissingNo. / 'M are fun. When I encountered it (I got an 'M) I captured it and it recorded glitchy Pokedex data for it, then it asked me if I wanted to give a nickname to Rhydon. I was like, "What?" and then then chose no. The weird part was, I was still in the battle! The pokemon sprites were gone and the healthbars turned to text (a bunch of C's). I performed this glitch twice to see the results. The first time I attacked and the C's flickered as if scrolling through a bunch of characters and then turned into D's and it fainted. The second time, I captured it again and it turned into a Ditto! Every time after that, I was actually able to capture the 'M itself. It was weird.

Goblinaro

[Insert creative title here]
    Years
  • I somehow hacked my way to getting missingno on leafgreen. It has 591 hp, 502 attack and sp attack. But it has 79 special defense though. 449 speed, and its defense is about average. Can't pal park it though...:(

Years
  • I suppose this explains the added Pok魯n in GSC. But, wouldn't that still mean glitch slots? And, does this explain how you can find Mew?And your game still worked? Whoa. How long did it take you to get out of the "backwards and garbled sprites" phase? And how did you keep them Missingno? As far as I've found, they turn into Rhydon [a Rhydon with Sky Attack? I never thought I would see the day until then] as soon as they're deposited.
    Actually,Missingno. gains the Rhydon sprite and cry due to varibles and hex..

iX Billie

Land Shark
    Years
  • when i got a missingno. it went so glitchy i had to turn it off...well :
    1.my pokemon all went to lv.1
    2.they hed no pp
    3.they wouldn't listen to me
    so strange...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back