• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

• Poliwag I caught in Violet City, by mistake actually. When I was reading Bulbapedia, I thought it said it had a 15% Encounter Rate in Violet City, as opposed to to 5% Rate everywhere else with the Old Rod. Come to find out, I screwed up and read the original G/S/C Encounter Rate list.

So, in the end, I went back to Violet City for nothing. Worked out though, since Dark Cave was just next door, and Cherrygrove just two routes away.

Also, as soon as I get the Good Rod, I'm going back to New Bark Town and catching me a Chinchou. But first, catching a Slowpoke in Slowpoke Well.

Edit: Oh shi-! Just found out I can catch a Tentacruel on Route 32 with my Old Rod. Oh hell yeah, I'm so catching that.

You tempt me to play a Water monotype.

Go do the bug challenge again and beat red. Tell me I don't need to grind :P

I think I could probably pull it off if I managed to change the weather, and pass speed/attack boosts to my Armaldo. :D

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    -Went through Route 30, and found the entrance to Dark Cave. I tried to enter it, but my mind said that 'This is a cave. Do not want.'
    -Went through Route 31
    -Got the VS Recorder.
    -Explored Violet City a bit.
    -Trained in Route 32.
    -Entered the Sprout Tower.
    -The Sages are being b****es to Gojira. Stupid Vine Whip.
    -Reached the top and saw Naoya, being an a$s as usual.
    -Got the Escape Rope, but neither challenged the Elder nor used it to exit.
    -Went to the Ruins of Alph.
    -Got my items from the secret room.
    -Finished the Kabuto Puzzle and beat up some Unown.
    -Returned to Sprout Tower.

Last edited:

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • ^ Try saving the images as .png instead of jpg, :P It kills the color. XD

Anyway, finished grinding. XD Going to go after Red in a few minutes. :3

And Emoxy, I could easy beat him if I had Ninjask with Baton pass. That makes the challenge infinitely easier, XD

But that's how you chose to do it, just like I chose otherwise, XD

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • Continued my adventure
    Made it through the Cave leveling up Rage
    Arrived at Azalea Town
    Talked to Kurt
    Made my way through Slowpoke Well
    Leveled up rage some more
    Went to the gym it was mainly done by Waterblast who learned ice Fang right before scyther
    And got myself an hive badge
    Beat my rival
    Made it through ilex forest
    Arrived at Goldern Rod
    Rage Finally Evolved after beating todd Saved it

Current Team
    Waterblast Lv 25
    Scratch
    Bite
    Water Gun
    Ice Fanh

Aqua Lv 13
    Water Spout
    Bubble
    Hypnosis
    Water gun

Rage Lv 20

Splash
    Tackle
    Bite

Flipper Lv 8
    Water gun
    Tail whip
    Mud Sport

Slave LV 6

Tackle
    Tail Wipe
    Quick Attack
    Cut

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Bwuahahaha.

Before heading to Cinnabar, I stopped by Mt. Moon to meet an old "friend".

Easy Peasy, no problem at all. :D Then I met my match...

He took out EVERY bug except Venomoth, who barely managed to take him out. ._. Not having anything to outspeed Rapidash killed me :S

Anyway, after him, it was onto Blue.

Who also gave me some issues, and took out 3 of my bugs. ._. Then, it was off for some more hours of training, after which I decided to try Red out at level 72...

As you can see, all my pokemon were weak after each pokemon. I went through every bug I had on all of his, reviving them and healing them left and right. I went through about 50 Full Restores and Revives, if not more :S

Bugs are strong, but they really need help beating out pokemon almost 20 levels higher than them o_o

And if you do a line EJ, do like "Never underestimate Pokémon others would consider weak. Those Pokémon may be your personal Diamond in the Rough, like Ariados was to me." :P

Final Team:~

Charlotte the Ariados
    Level 72
    Psychic
    Poison Jab
    Sucker Punch
    Shadow Sneak

Xena the Heracross
    Level 72
    Strength
    Megahorn
    Aerial Ace
    Close Combat

Pinch the Pinsir
    Level 72
    Swords Dance
    Guillotine
    Superpower
    X-Scissor

Spore the Venomoth
    Level 72
    Sludge Bomb
    Bug Buzz
    Psychic
    Roost

Strobe the Forretress
    Level 72
    Double-Edge
    Gyro Ball
    Zap Cannon
    Bug Bite

Sleet

Forum Lurker
    Years
  • Congrats Myzou, You planning on doing another challenge?

Could've OHKOed through Stone Edge. :D

Yeah, I thought of that but I didnt want to risk missing and him Ko'ing my Tyranitar. I was keeping Tyranitar as a backup in case Sharpedo fainted :P

Last edited:

Sleet

Forum Lurker
    Years
  • Yeah, Normal looks pretty challenging. Looks quite fun as well, You get Miltank what more do you need :)

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    -Challenged the Elder.
    -The two Belsprout gave Gojira a hard time. Those freaking Vine Whips.
    -Garmr weakened the Hoothoot, and Scarface finished him off.
    -Got Flash
    -Escaped the Tower.
    -Bought a few items to prepare for the fight with Falkner and his trainers.
    -Beat his Trainers. Pretty easy.
    -Battlin' Falkner!
    Spoiler:

My Team after beating Falkner:

Note: Scarface is Lv. 10 and Gojira is Lv. 10.
    I'm planning on getting a Dusk Stone as soon as I can. I hope I get lucky in the Pokeathlon or Bug Catching Contest.

Last edited:

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • GAME HeartGold
    TYPE
    Normal

→ ROCK TUNNEL OF TUNNELLY DOOM!

...Or not. I grind Togepi from a Lv. 7 to a Lv. 14. Nothing else of interest happens.

→ SLOWPOKE WELL OF SLOW DOOM!

...Or not. Mossa and Kord take down all of the Rocket Grunts easily, and Proton is swept away with Kord's Extrasensory. Ho hum.

→ BUGYS GYM OF BUGGY DOOM!

...Sigh. All of the hangers-on are taken down by Togepi, shaming their reliance on Bug/Poison types, and Bugsy himself is quickly dispatched with a cleverly-timed Super Potion and Mossa getting five Fury Swipes in a row on Scyther. Kakuna and Metapod are taken care of by Kord.

→ STOP. RIVAL TIME!

EEK AN ACTUAL CHALLENGE! Togepi took down Ghastly and Zubat with Extrasensory, then hit a snag with Bayleaf. He used Yawn to make Bayleaf tired, then to wear down its HP ready for Furret I used Metronome, hoping for a damage-dealing move. It was...Spark. Which Paralysed Bayleaf and prevented Yawn from working. Bayleaf KO'd Togepi, and Furret was out. She misses with her first volley of Fury Swipes, but this is fine because Bayleaf can't move. The second volley isn't spectacular, only striking twice; Bayleaf uses Reflect. Even Quick Attack is useless now! Bayleaf's HP is in the orange...Bayleaf uses Synthesis. Mossa uses Fury Swipes. It misses! Synthesis again, and Bayleaf's HP is full. Fury Swipes misses for a third time. Bayleaf uses PoisonPowder. I use an Antidote. In the interval, Bayleaf replaces its Reflect barrier. Fury Swipes takes the HP back down. Bayleaf uses PoisonPowder! After another Fury Swipes volley, Synthesis comes into play again. Fury Swipes misses for a fourth time. Synthesis is used again. I use a Super Potion on Mossa but let the Poisnoning stand as it's not doing too much damage, and then Fury Swipe my way to victory whilst the effects of Paralysis take hold of Bayleaf. jfc I have never been so uptight in a battle since Cynthia of Platinum. Holmes (Rival) makes some sort of speech saying how even though he lost he's better than me etc. and moves on.

tl;dr
    Fury Swipes has more chance of hitting Mars than a Pokémon sat right in front of it; I hate Synthesis; Rival is a douche.

→ A FARFETCH'D TALE IN ILEX FOREST!

I can never remember how to catch the damn Farfetch'd lmao. I SUCK AT THIS. Anyway I eventually catch them and receive my Cut HM. I don't bother going back for the Charcoal cause...well it's a bit useless in this particular challenge amirite. Anyway, I taught Cut to HM Slave Totodile, then powered off for the football this afternoon.

FURRET | Mossa |
    ♀ | Lv.19
    Calm | Proud of its Power
    Quick Attack / Fury Swipes / Scratch / Defence Curl

TOGEPI | Kord |
    ♂ | Lv. 19
    Modest | Likes to Relax
    Encore | Yawn | Extrasensory | Metronome

+ TOTODILE the HM Slave.

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    -Went back to the Ruins of Alph to smash some rocks.
    -I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just running around killing Ekans.
    -Going through Route 32, and used an AR Code to change my overworld sprite to Lucas's (is this allowed? It's only a cosmetic change, and doesn't affect the game in any other way)
    -Rested in a Pokemon Center and got an Old Rod...
    -Entered the Union Cave. I hate Caves.

Last edited:

Dragonsfreak

eevee raiser
    Years
  • whoohoo

- got the last kanto badges. The Gyms were no real challenge with the right team.
    - taught Chops Rock Slide
    - preparing for Red. i´m going to tackle him when my team is around lv. 70 and look what will happen

lv. Update for my Team

Julie the Heracross
    lv. 65

Chops the Machamp
    lv. 64

Chad Lee the Blaziken
    lv. 62

Bobby the Hitmonchan
    lv. 71

Delia the Poliwrath
    lv. 67

next post comes when Red is history

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • Yeah, Normal looks pretty challenging. Looks quite fun as well, You get Miltank what more do you need :)

Yeah, the Normal-type Challenge was awesome. I had a Tauros, Togetic, Miltank, and just all-around awesome Pokemon. I even caught a Dunsparce!

Then, the game reset a few times, sending me back to Mahogany Town. That was cool I guess. I just went back, re-caught my Dunsparce, and went on my merry way. Then it happened again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

Until finally, I simply said '**** this game' and quit the Normal-type Challenge. I was so close to being the first Normal-type Champion for HG/SS. I was already close to the Elite Four, all that was left was Kanto and Red. Instead, I got screwed over by the no$gba. BRB, destroying things with Gyarados' Splash attack out of rage.

Sora247_2009

Will Sprite for food!!
    Years
  • OK, you may remember I started this before. However, due to Platinum addiction, I never began. So now I'm back, and ready to do another challenege, using the Water type. Expect an update later today.

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    ^ inb4makecopiesofsavefile

Edit:

-Got out of that damned cave.
    -Saw a Rocket Grunt shouting at this old man... Wait... ROCKET GRUNT? I heard they disbanded three years ago!
    -Went to Kurt's house and he went off to the Well.
    -Entered the well, and saw Kurt with his aching back. Old man lol.
    -Beat up some Rocket Grunt's Pokemon.
    -Saw this female Rocket Grunt. What? I can't hit on her? Oh right. This Faust is just 10 years old @_@
    -Talked to the Slowpokes. Slowpokes are so awesome.
    -Beat Proton. He was pretty easy. A Dragon Dance boosted Bite from Gojira was enough to 1HKO Zubat, though Koffing was much bulkier.
    Koffing almost wiped my entire team out. I hate Smokescreen and all of its variations.

Koffing is pretty awesome.

Last edited:
    Years
  • ^ Try saving the images as .png instead of jpg, :P It kills the color. XD

Anyway, finished grinding. XD Going to go after Red in a few minutes. :3

And Emoxy, I could easy beat him if I had Ninjask with Baton pass. That makes the challenge infinitely easier, XD

But that's how you chose to do it, just like I chose otherwise, XD

Ninjask ftw, but I didn't defeat Red anyway. =P Too lazy to try.

And could you explain more about the color thing? I realise your pics are more colorful than mine, is it because you save in .jpg?

His enemies will fear his powerful Splash attack.

FTW!! :D

Yeah, I thought of that but I didnt want to risk missing and him Ko'ing my Tyranitar. I was keeping Tyranitar as a backup in case Sharpedo fainted :P

Ahh I see. :) Now I am reminded of how skewed RNG is to the AI side.

I might, haven't decided yet.

If I do, it'll probably be Normal.

Hoho then we'll have the same challenges :D See below..

Yeah, Normal looks pretty challenging. Looks quite fun as well, You get Miltank what more do you need :)

I strongly recommend you guys who are trying normal, NOT to use Miltank, simply because she's too powerful. LOL. Tauros might fall into the same category. I kinda regretted using it now because it sorta kicked Furret out of my team.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty;5916328[COLOR=Navy said:
    ][/COLOR]tl;dr Fury Swipes has more chance of hitting Mars than a Pokémon sat right in front of it; I hate Synthesis; Rival is a douche.

+1 I agree. Fury Swipes never hit when I was using Furret, against my rival's Bayleef, who used Reflect, the exactly same situation as you.

-I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just running around killing Ekans.
    -Going through Route 32, and used an AR Code to change my overworld sprite to Lucas's (is this allowed? It's only a cosmetic change, and doesn't affect the game in any other way)

Ekans is cool ****, everyone's hatin' it.
    And how do you do the sprite changing?

- preparing for Red. i´m going to tackle him when my team is around lv. 70 and look what will happen

All the best! :)

Yeah, the Normal-type Challenge was awesome. I had a Tauros, Togetic, Miltank, and just all-around awesome Pokemon. I even caught a Dunsparce!

Then, the game reset a few times, sending me back to Mahogany Town. That was cool I guess. I just went back, re-caught my Dunsparce, and went on my merry way. Then it happened again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

Until finally, I simply said '**** this game' and quit the Normal-type Challenge. I was so close to being the first Normal-type Champion for HG/SS. I was already close to the Elite Four, all that was left was Kanto and Red. Instead, I got screwed over by the no$gba. BRB, destroying things with Gyarados' Splash attack out of rage.

:( That made me laugh, though.

Koffing is pretty awesome.

I agree.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back