• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • I want a good Jolteon set.

Jolteon @ _____
    Volt Absorb
    Timid
    4 __/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
    -Thunderbolt
    -_____
    -_____
    -_____

Also, PlatinumDude, where do you get your sets from?
    Enigma is right; I do get them from Smogon. It's because they're generally the most effective ways to use the Pokemon in question.

Anyway:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Signal Beam/Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power (Water/Ice)
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Volt Absorb

Here's another take on Jolteon as a Substitute Baton Passer:
    -Substitute
    -Baton Pass
    -Thunderbolt
    -Wish/Hidden Power (Grass)
    EVs: 80 HP/252 SAtk/176 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I believe it is, yes. Pin Missile is your Skill Linked STAB so can leave nice dents on things that don't resist it. Close Combat is another great STAB. Rock Blast can devastate Flying-Types.

One thing I will say is I would run some kind of speed control when using MHera. Whether that be a Sticky Webber or a Tailwinder, it'll really benefit MHera.

To add to this, Guts or Moxie is the preferred ability on Mega Heracross. For the former, Heracross can hold off of Mega Evolution in the event it gets burned or poisoned (especially burn) and go on a Guts-induced rampage. Of course, this comes at the cost of Pin Missile and Rock Blast becoming unreliable. Moxie lets Mega Heracross grab a quick +1 Attack boost upon KOing a weakened opponent before Mega Evolving.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Enigma is right; I do get them from Smogon. It's because they're generally the most effective ways to use the Pokemon in question.

Anyway:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Signal Beam/Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power (Water/Ice)

Here's another take on Jolteon as a Substitute Baton Passer:
    -Substitute
    -Baton Pass
    -Thunderbolt
    -Wish/Hidden Power (Grass)
    EVs: 80 HP/252 SAtk/176 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Signal Beam is a Gen V Move Tutor. Anything to replace it for that set? Also, what can replace Life Orb if I should be bringing another Pokémon that is already holding one? Also, when you Baton Pass a Substitute, does the Substitute gain the typing of the new Pokémon or keep Electric, and who's HP does it have (since it has a quarter of who ever used it)?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Signal Beam is a Gen V Move Tutor. Anything to replace it for that set? Also, what can replace Life Orb if I should be bringing another Pokémon that is already holding one? Also, when you Baton Pass a Substitute, does the Substitute gain the typing of the new Pokémon or keep Electric, and who's HP does it have (since it has a quarter of who ever used it)?

That's why you have Shadow Ball as an alternative.

Remember that item clause isn't active in Wi-Fi battles with other people in the PSS, but it is in Battle Spot and the Battle Maison. If you must use another item, use Magnet or Zap Plate to at least power up Volt Switch and Thunderbolt, but the loss in power for Jolteon's coverage moves hurts.

The Substitute has the user's HP when it is passed. If it's Baton Passed to something else, the recipient's typing and defenses are factored in how much damage the Substitute takes. No matter what, the Substitute's HP has 1/4ths of the HP of the one who Baton Passed it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Whats the best moveset for defog crobat? Yes PlatniumDude I know you're going to say Siczor is better suited for the job….

Not just Scizor, but Mandibuzz and the Latis too. Anyway:
    -Brave Bird
    -Toxic/U-turn/Super Fang
    -Defog
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 248 HP/80 Atk/4 SDef/176 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Infiltrator

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    How long does it usually take to IV Breed one 5IV Pokemon? I'm asking this because it seems like a lot of work, and I'm wondering if it's worth months and months of effort if I'm not battling competitively, and just merely building a team for Battle Subway. If it is required, then could I simply just IV Breed a Pokemon with 31 IVs in one or two stats instead of five? Will that be enough for Battle Subway?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I revised my Lapras' EVs and I'm gonna do this for a Rain team, I don't know what to have for the other two though. This will be in Doubles, so these two will be sent out first which will start the rain.

Lapras @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    Modest
    252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Spe
    -Surf
    -Protect
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunder

Politoed @ Damp Rock
    Drizzle
    Modest
    152 HP/204 SpDef/152 SpAtk
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic
    -Protect

The reason I put so much into SpDef is because I don't want Lapras' Surf to do too much damage to Politoed, because while it will be not very effective, Lapras will be gaining STAB and Rain boost as well as Lapras' EVs in SpAtk and Modest nature.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I revised my Lapras' EVs and I'm gonna do this for a Rain team, I don't know what to have for the other two though. This will be in Doubles, so these two will be sent out first which will start the rain.

Lapras @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    Modest
    252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Spe
    -Surf
    -Protect
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunder

Politoed @ Damp Rock
    Drizzle
    Modest
    152 HP/204 SpDef/152 SpAtk
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic
    -Protect

The reason I put so much into SpDef is because I don't want Lapras' Surf to do too much damage to Politoed, because while it will be not very effective, Lapras will be gaining STAB and Rain boost as well as Lapras' EVs in SpAtk and Modest nature.
    Your EV spread is a waste, IMO. It slightly hampers into Politoed's ability to take physical hits Even with Rain active, Surf won't do much on your partner Politoed:
    252+ SpA Lapras Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Politoed in Rain: 68-81 (17.7 - 21%) -- possible 5HKO

It would be preferable to lead with Politoed and a Swift Swimmer so you can start wrecking things off the bat. See my response to your workings on the rain team for potential teammates.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    However, alternative Dry Skin Pokemon to use are Heliolisk and Toxicroak. Their frailty holds you back, though:

Heliolisk:
    -Thunder
    -Focus Blast/Surf
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Protect
    Ability: Dry Skin

Toxicroak:
    -Drain Punch/Cross Chop
    -Sucker Punch
    -Fake Out
    -Protect
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge
    Ability: Dry Skin
    Heliolisk seems to be the slightly more frail of the two, however its offensive power and speed surpasses Toxicroak's. I think I'll go with Heliolisk to run Surf on this, as it is a main focus of this team.
    It's best to use Swift Swimmers in rain teams, to make up for the lack of Speed you currently have. Ludicolo and Kingdra 4x resist Surf, so they have no problems being hit by it:

Ludicolo:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Giga Drain
    -Ice Beam
    -Fake Out/Rain Dance/Protect
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Sitrus Berry/Lum Berry
    Ability: Swift Swim

Kingdra:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
    -Surf/Waterfall
    -Protect/Rain Dance
    Nature: Modest/Rash/Mild
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Haban Berry/Roseli Berry
    Ability: Swift Swim
    This is a tough decision. I'd like to have Ludicolo, but Kingdra seems more overall balanced with its stats. Actually, perhaps I'll go with Ludicolo.

So that brings my Rain Team to this:
    Spoiler:

I decided to use Surf instead of Hydro Pump on Ludicolo, as it will allow healing of allies with Dry Skin or Water Absorb. Also, what can Heliolisk have instead of Hidden Power Ice if I'm unable to get the specific IVs required?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Heliolisk seems to be the slightly more frail of the two, however its offensive power and speed surpasses Toxicroak's. I think I'll go with Heliolisk to run Surf on this, as it is a main focus of this team.

This is a tough decision. I'd like to have Ludicolo, but Kingdra seems more overall balanced with its stats. Actually, perhaps I'll go with Ludicolo.

So that brings my Rain Team to this:
    Spoiler:

I decided to use Surf instead of Hydro Pump on Ludicolo, as it will allow healing of allies with Dry Skin or Water Absorb. Also, what can Heliolisk have instead of Hidden Power Ice if I'm unable to get the specific IVs required?
    Focus Blast or Grass Knot are acceptable alternatives.

Elite Four Lucian

Elite Four - Psychic User
    Years
  • Tech me Competitive Pokemon

I am not really sure where I should be posting this, if it gets locked so be it, but I would like to know if there is anyone that would be willing to teach me how to play competitive pokemon. PM if you you are or just discuss it here.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I am not really sure where I should be posting this, if it gets locked so be it, but I would like to know if there is anyone that would be willing to teach me how to play competitive pokemon. PM if you you are or just discuss it here.
    Reading through the Guidelines & Resources thread should be a good start. Quite frankly, the best way to learn is by jumping in. I started to learn how to play competitively around 4-5 years ago by associating myself with like-minded people who wanted to learn. This is why I think that the best way to learn how to play competitive is through simulators (such as Pokemon Showdown!) since you're with people who have similar interests.

I'd start off by using my favourites to get a feel of how things work--assuming that you already know about EVs, IVs, natures, etc. (the earlier link should help!). Once you're familiarized, I suggest looking through the SmogDex since they have one of the best resources in terms of Pokemon sets. If you already have a team in mind, feel free to post it in the forum so that the good people here can help you. Cheers!

Years
  • I am going to compete in a 1 vs. 1 Fighting Pokémon tournament and I've chosen Poliwrath and I am wondering what moveset I should use.

I am thinking about:
    - Protect, to see what kind of moves my opponent has and to protect against eventually Gallade (which someone already said to be going to use) and Hawlucha
    - Brick Break, STAB
    - Waterfall, STAB + Chance to flinch the opponent
    - Poison Jab, to protect against the Grass fighters

Last edited:

DracoLatch

http://www.pokecommunity.com/s
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2022
    How should I train an Airidos

I'm not sure if I spelt it right, Aridos or Ariados, but I am referring to the spider that evolves from Spinarack. if I was to use one on my team, even though it may not be the best, what would I use (For a 6 iv) including items and EV.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ariados is best played as a suicide hazard stacker, but Smeargle (and to a lesser extent, Galvantula), do this better:
    -Sticky Web
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Megahorn
    -Sucker Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Insomnia

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What's the best klefki moveset (let me guess klefki got swag-ger)

Either one of these will work:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Spikes
    -Fairy Lock/Foul Play/Play Rough
    Nature: Bold/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Light Clay
    Ability: Prankster

or
    -Spikes
    -Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam