• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerme

stupid
Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    no light type. LMAO

we already have too many types, and proably 1000 different ways to combine them, which are basically new types.

but i think sableye and spiritomb should be changed to the ??? type, and be the first to be. and the ??? type basically powers all move types as if its the same type as the user.

Thunderhead

Ride the Lightning
    Years
  • ^ A total of 289 different combination, if I did my math right.

One type I would like to see is Sound. There is already a selection of moves/ability's that are sound based.

That, and Expoloud would be converted to sound type almost instantly.

I'm all in favor for new types, as long as they make sense.

Sound and Light are the two types that make the most sense. However, I already see Psychic as the Light type as it really hasn't been paired with any "evil" looking Pokemon. That, and it works as the counter opposite of dark already.

Years
  • ^^ I was going between 272 and 289, but then realized it was 289, since the types can stand alone too. That's a far cry from 1000. Adding another type would bring that up to 324, and adding two new types would up it to 361. Though, as we know, Game Freak isn't concerned about having every possible type combo.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    I've been reading opinions. And I don't know which I favor more. I do understand the benefits of adding a light type. There's still an imbalance in the types. Hopefully adding one more type would tie up any loose ends that left. And there are a few attacks that would change types. Ex. Bite- normal to dark (very useful against the rock types.)

Glass? Care to explain it a little? Sounds interesting.

Last edited:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • All of you that say that light type would make the game inbalanced, what if they make more types to balance it back out again? besides dragon is overpowered, considering only two types are supereffective against dragon, one of which being dragon, and only one type resistant to it. However if they made an ice/ steel type, it would destroy dragon...

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    All of you that say that light type would make the game inbalanced, what if they make more types to balance it back out again? besides dragon is overpowered, considering only two types are supereffective against dragon, one of which being dragon, and only one type resistant to it. However if they made an ice/ steel type, it would destroy dragon...

but most dragons are legends. theres only like 4 non-legend families which are dragonite, flygon, salamance, garchomp. they all have 4x weakness against ice. so idk if that helps

Thunderhead

Ride the Lightning
    Years
  • ^Altaria and Kingdra

I do think the dragons would need a better counter. Ice/Steel would be bad, because all the dragons can use Flamethrower!

Ice/Water is the best you'll hit with dragon counters!

SargeantMajorKururu

Loves Pokemon Black
    Years
  • I know there's like no one else who thinks this...

I want a Wind Type. I know it sounds weird, but think about it. Gust is wind, it has nothing to do with the bird. It flaps its wings to make it, so it counts as flying? No. Razor wind should also be a Wind Type. Maybe Tailwind, Air Cutter, and Defog could be Wind Type. There are probably more...

It would be super effective against:
    Fire
    Grass
    Bug

Not Very Effective against:
    Ground
    Flying

No Effect against:
    Rock

What do ya think?

Years
  • Glass? Care to explain it a little? Sounds interesting.

Sure! I posted this on my showcase thread (see sig) about a week ago. Keep in mind that a lot of stuff in the showcase thread is still in the idea stage, so I am still working on designs for Crystix and Pirsor.

Glass Type - ガラスタイプ
    Spoiler:

========= Glass-type Pokemon: =========
    Spoiler:

New Item:
    Crystal Coat
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    If they made Reshiram a light-type, demand for Pokémon Black would probably sky-rocket. I can't speak for everyone, but it is reasonable to assume that a lot more people are going to want to be able to catch the legendary with the ~*shiny*~, new type. I suppose that really isn't a problem, but... Idk, it just doesn't seem like a smart move for GameFreak (or for any company) to put themselves in a position where one version of their product could potentially outsell the other by an amazingly large margin. (I'm talking numbers larger than the sales difference between Diamond and Pearl.)

...That said, and as a supporter of the Light-type, a Glass-type doesn't sound so bad.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Though it's worth a mention that the idea for a Glass/Crystal type did exist prior to BleuVII's ideas.

So while they could be done that way there are other options too, but the most likely is still a Sp. Def oriented type, as a parallel to Steel.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • The point of that is so you post something on-topic and relevant in threads, not going around spamming to up your post-count.

:l

On topic though, who would like to see Glass/Crystal/Diamond/etc. type and who wouldn't?

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    i just don't see those as types, those are like sub-elements. glass=sand (ground type), crystal and diamond=rock and steel (since dialga, the diamond pokemon is steel tye).

we need something completly different, but i cant think at the moment.

Last edited:

Zackraa

Nom Nom Nom
    Years
  • I would like to see Light types I was hoping Reshiram was Light but he is sadly Fire/Dragon and Zekrom is Electric/Dragon

I was hoping for a light/dragon vs. dark/dragon kinda thing but it doesn't look like that will happen

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I would like to see Light types I was hoping Reshiram was Light but he is sadly Fire/Dragon and Zekrom is Electric/Dragon

I was hoping for a light/dragon vs. dark/dragon kinda thing but it doesn't look like that will happen
    Do you have Proof of this? I haven't seen an update anywhere confirming their dual typing yet.

As for the Wind deal, Flying already kinda covers that. I believe Flying(Bird) Type was originally the Pokemon version's "WIND". Most wind based attacks are flying type with exceptions to Icy Wind, Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, and Whirlwind.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    The more I think about a Glass/Crystal/Diamond type the more I like them. ....And I've realized that what's held me back from liking them is their connotations. Glass and Crystal bring to mind images of things that are frail and weak, and by association a Glass/Crystal-type Pokémon will also be perceived as weak (like many of the Ice-types, such as Sneasle, or Frosslass). Diamond, of course, has better connotations. Ones that bring to mind strength and durability. But there has already been a game titled Diamond. Confusions can arise, especially from those who have never played a Pokémon game. It is likely they'll think that the Diamond-type has something to do with Pokémon Diamond, and it doesn't. The Crystal-type also suffers from this pit-fall.

SO, what's my solution? To forget the idea of adding new types altogether, of course!

Haha, just kidding. I drifted off to sleep last night and I and my brain got into a lengthy conversation about crystals, diamonds, glass, and their chemical compositions. What is a single common denominator between these three...? Carbon. And now we get into the meat of
    my insomnia what I'm trying to illustrate in this post. Instead of glass, crystal, or diamond, why not call it the Carbon-type? It is an all-inclusive term, having the ability to represent not only glass, crystal, and diamond, but other things such as poison and rock as well. The word carbon also opens the doors for even more type combinations, such as Carbon/Steel. Carbon also lacks those negative connotations that come with the alternative names.

So, uh... whatdya guys think?
    At this point, I'm beyond speculation. I'm pretty much just saying things that I know have little to no chance of being in the games, but man... it sure would be cool if they were!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Crystal is really the only thing that has had a Canon Debute though.

Crystal Onix from the Orange Isles. Only known info from there is it resisted Water and was weak to Fire.

Seemed more like Ice than anything.

(just putting in 2cents)

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2011
    I would not be a fan of light types, only because I love the little trifecta they have going on between Ghost-Dark-Psychic

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back