• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    Discs are very good as far as systems go, but for handhelds they can't spread the butter...

(ya like that? spread the butter? I made that up, yes!)

Discs will be more expensive, making them cost as much as ps2 games cost right now. And the DS will not use cartridges, it will use MiniBoxes that have discs inside them. Discs can scratch, which is bad, as will the uncovered screen on it. DS is flip-top so it won't scratch, luckily.

PSP will also be coming out a couple months after DS does, which is bad. PSP will also be speculated at costing 300 to 500 dollars, which is very bad. DS will cost a guaranteed less than 200 dollars according to nintendo. Besides, almost all the games coming out on PSP will also be coming out on PS2...lemme see

pay 50 bucks for GT3 on a portable with lower graphics...
    pay 50 bucks for GT3 on a system with great graphics...

I know my choice there...

(and this thread has basically turned into a PSP ersus DS so lets keep it going!)

aaaaaa

Gargh!
    It uses UMD, which is a disc media inside a non-removable casing, much like a Minidisc. You won't have to worry about your games getting scratched, about the system 'skipping', or any disc related worries. Minidisc cured that issue years ago. And the UMD format is built upon that durability.
    It's also quite different now to the days of CD vs Cart, because it used to be that carts were more expensive, CD's were cheaper.
    But in todays market, CD\DVD media products had to grow in price to compensate for piracy. Sony are using a disc-media that can't be pirated this time around though, so the gaming community might actually benefit with lower prices. Time will tell.

The graphics that I've seen look pretty standard with what the PS2 can offer, which make sense, as the PSP is expected to sell alongside the PS3 in time.
    Though..where did you get the silly notion that PS2 games will also be released on the PSP? Use your head. Sony actually *know* how to market, unlike some..other..company..whos console..looks like a makeup case.
    Anyway, even if there was the same game, on both consoles, and it looked slightly better on PS2, with the PSP you get the portability, so I don't see the issue.

You've also got no basis to judge the screen, as you've not even seen it first hand. No-one has, but Sony are known for durability in their portable products. My NetMD has been dropped, sat on and even thrown around more than any piece of equipment should be, and it still keeps going.
    Though, on that note, my Atari Lynx screen is still scratch free.
    And I've had that for six years.

Nintendo's promises on price mean nothing to me, and nor should they do you. Until the prices of both consoles are officiallly announced, take any figures you hear with a grain of salt.
    Yes, the NDS will probably be cheaper. But it's just a games machine.
    And yes, the PSP will probably be more expensive. But its a media machine, on top of a games console.
    Wow, why does this scenario feel so familiar?

Last edited:

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    It is slowly becoming apparent to me that Sarah is far smarter than I am...must...use...plan B

*throws a "DS RULES" grenade and runs away*

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    *sigh* Fanboy power never wins in these fights, Dakota. You shoulda known that by now. lol

Remember that PS2 sales are higher than usual due to the easy access to priating. Xbox sales are second due to easy pirating through the HD. GCN sales are the lowest due to the fact that you can't pirate their games.

As pirating says: Who cares about the third party gaming companies when you can just sell the machine and make billions off it while the third-party gaming companies suffer via pirating. It's basically Sony's motto to begin with. Even IF they tried to "stop" pirating by dropping the strength of the lenses (which in turn reduces COST), it's still all a scam.

Really, the PSP won't be enjoying the same successes as PS2 will, and definitely the pricing on the PSP would no be attractive (knowing that 90% of PSP owners will have the machines that do the media portion of the PSP, but at a higher quality). So it ends up being comparing a gaming machine with extras that you dont' care about versus a gaming machine. Really, would you want to pay an average of 200 dollar more for relatively the same thing? Also the fact that there will be thrid-party developers that will be developing for both systems anyway (again) and little second and first party developers. If you want to compare second/first party developers, NDS wins there.

And system-wise, I don't think the PSP outruns the DS that much (I mean, DS is running at least N64 graphics, while PSP is slightly less than the PS2. So graphically it'll be similar too...).

I don't know. I myself am skeptical of BOTH systems right now. But from the screen shots and stuff that I got, I'm leaning slightly on the DS (the pricing doesn't help PSP either).

btw, the scenerio is exactly the same as PS2 versus GCN versus Xbox. lol

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I think there's enough Nintendo Fan boys like me in the world to make the DS a hit! XD

I really can't wait until it comes out! I'm really excited! =3

And, I really don't care what anyone else says! The PSP is crappy IMO, and no one is going to change that for me......XP

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Summary of last few posts:
    a1337a is the only Sony fan here, surrounded by hundreds of Nintendo Fan Boys.

So yeah Dakota may be right. There may be one way to get through this. Zerg Tactic A! Overrun the non-believer with our vast numbers!

Something you have to remember, Nintendo has pulled not only itself, but the entire gaming industry, out of slumps before. They can do it again. If it wasn't for Mario, there would be no PS2 or PSP or X-Box right now because no one would play video games anymore.

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    DS rules! there is only one game that I like that was on the PSP(Metal Gear Acid) but all of those first party games on the DS Make me want to get it alot more than the PSP!

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Yes, if we pull together...WE CAN HELP NINTENDO OUT!! *goes beserko and buys a bunch of nintendo stuff*

"Oh! I already have htis game...and this game....and this game.....and this game...."

Fanboy power!! I'm tempted to make a club right now...must...resist...urge...

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Dakota said:
    It is slowly becoming apparent to me that Sarah is far smarter than I am...must...use...plan B

*throws a "DS RULES" grenade and runs away*
    Sarah is smarter than all of us, it?s scary at sometimes. ^_^ She?s very thorough and follows through too, truly admirable. Ahh, and?this was off topic. But I?m not aware of the details of either console to add anything useful, so yeah. Forgive me. ^^;

JoWood

貴族のキケロ
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 27, 2012
    Shadow said:
    Summary of last few posts:
    a1337a is the only Sony fan here, surrounded by hundreds of Nintendo Fan Boys.

So yeah Dakota may be right. There may be one way to get through this. Zerg Tactic A! Overrun the non-believer with our vast numbers!

Something you have to remember, Nintendo has pulled not only itself, but the entire gaming industry, out of slumps before. They can do it again. If it wasn't for Mario, there would be no PS2 or PSP or X-Box right now because no one would play video games anymore.

What slumps has Nintendo brought the whole gaming industry out of? You show me some slumps.

I'm not taking sides with Sony, but they're more popular. Who brought you the walkman, Sony.

Yeah Nintendo has dominated in the gaming company for the past 15 years, but those were only handheld systems & and those crappy Sega Saturns.

Its a NEW day and age.

One more thing, you don't know your gaming history. If it wasn't for Donkey Kong And Peach there propbably wouldn't be as much as gaming industry.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    JoWood said:
    What slumps has Nintendo brought the whole gaming industry out of? You show me some slumps.
    How about the time when the Ataris all became unpopular and no one went to arcades anymore, then the game named Donkey Kong came out and people loved videogames once again.

JoWood said:
    I'm not taking sides with Sony, but they're more popular. Who brought you the walkman, Sony.
    Is the walkman a video game? Apples and oranges my young lad, apples and oranges. Just becasue they can make good stereos and phones doesn't mean they can make a good handheld system.

JoWood said:
    Yeah Nintendo has dominated in the gaming company for the past 15 years, but those were only handheld systems & and those crappy Sega Saturns.
    Saying Sega Saturn bad is bad is like saying PS1 is bad. They were nearly identical systems, just made by different companies and had different games. Like the Dreamcast, it was ahead of its time in graphics and such so people didn't trust it, thinking it would fall through (which it did becasue everyone was afraid it would). Almsot everyone whose played it agrees that the Saturn game known as Nights into Dreams was one of the greatest lesser-knwon titles out there.

JoWood said:
    Its a NEW day and age.
    Everyday is a new day, thank you for stating the obvious.

JoWood said:
    One more thing, you don't know your gaming history. If it wasn't for Donkey Kong And Peach there propbably wouldn't be as much as gaming industry.
    Oh oh oh, I am so afraid you know so much mores than mesa. [/sarcasm]
    Peach wasn't in Donkey Kong, it was a completely different woman named Pauline. And yes we owe a lot to Donkey Kong for kidnapping fair Pauline, but Mario was the star of the game and the star of many games that made the NES, SNES, and future systems quite popular.

Years
    I looked to see if this had been posted already, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't. Nintendo releaed it... yesterday or today. There are 2 dates on it.
    REDMOND, Wash., July 28, 2004 In preparation for the launch of Nintendo DS in North America and Japan later this year, Nintendo today announces major global developments for the innovative dual-screen, wireless, hand-held video game system.

Nintendo DS, originally chosen as the code name, has been selected as the official product name. The Nintendo DS name evokes the idea of a portable system with "dual screens," providing the rationale for the final name. The hardware also has been redesigned to sport a slimmer, sharper look. The retooled Nintendo DS features a thinner, black base and an angular platinum flip-top cover. The face buttons and shoulder buttons are larger, and some have been reconfigured for optimum use. The unit includes a new storage slot for the touch screens stylus, and the speakers now broadcast in stereo sound, with or without headphones.

"The Nintendo DS will change the future of hand-held gaming," says Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Dual screens, chat functions, a touch screen, wireless capabilities, voice recognition these abilities surpass anything attempted before, and consumers will benefit from the creativity and innovation the new features bring to the world of video games."

Software companies worldwide have more than 120 Nintendo DS games in development. Nintendo alone is developing more than 20 titles, and in excess of 100 companies have signed on to create games for the new system.

"The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device, while the chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a social device as well," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of Americas executive vice president of sales and marketing. "Weve figured out the magic of what makes portable game play so attractive to consumers. Weve defeated nine challengers and once again were prepared to win."

Nintendo will announce the launch date, price and game lineup for Nintendo DS at a later date.

Here's the re-design they speak of:

Nintendo DSNintendo DS
    (click for larger)

I think it looks great. :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    OMG

*squeals*

*faints dead*

=3 Awesome!! Pure Coolness!! YAY!

And oh soooo much cooler than teh PSP!

EDIT: IT'S REALLY TRUE!! I CHECKED!! *so happy he's speechless*

P.S: I'm a really fan boy......This is like that happiest day of my life, DS is so cool looking!

Last edited:

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Torn said:
    I looked to see if this had been posted already, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't. Nintendo releaed it... yesterday or today. There are 2 dates on it.

Here's the re-design they speak of:

Nintendo DSNintendo DS
    (click for larger)

I think it looks great. :)
    I was going to post this! You beat me to it! Anyway that's cool having the power button above the D-Pad for easy turning it on. The only problem is that you might press the button acendentally(sp) which is bad.

aaaaaa

Yes Shadow, Nintendo did revitlise the gaming industry 18 years ago. Albiet, they LIED to retailers, denying all references to the NES as being a games system, but they did do it. But what have they done since then? The SNES, a console which, because of Nitendo's fear of innovation, allowed the PSX to be created. Then the N64, a console which when everybody else was using CD's, still stuck to carts, had graphics that looked like they were smeered with KY Jelly, and possibly the worst controller ever known to man. And the GCN, a makeup case with a handful of good games that don't sell in huge ammounts anyway, and that cant play DVD's.
    Wow, thats so very innovative.
    Now, finally they show some innovation, in the handheld arena, no less, and what do we get? Two screens. And a stylus. Okay, so we have a little innovation, even if it really does seem quite useless, but where are the good games? Better, where're the good games that make USE of these gimmic-like features?
    It'll only be Nintendo's 1st party titles that use these 'features', you know? Think I'm wrong? Let me ask you this, how many games used the Gameboy Camera and Printer?
    On that note, a thought occurs; maybe it's not that Nintendo don't like to innovate, they just..lack the ability?

Now, moving on.
    The Sega Saturn was nothing like the Sony Playstation. The Saturn was created to compete with the Super Nintendo. To have the fastest, prettiest sprites and 2d backgrounds ever seen at home. Then Sega got to see the PSX in action, and realised they were going to have to make this thing do 3d. Which is why, if you take the time to notice, the Sega Saturn did have the most AWESOME 2D graphics, but it's 3d couldn't hold a candle to Sony's creation.
    Wow, a console dying because it wasn't forward thinking, while the competitor was. What a concept.

And finally, to answer the question, does the fact that Sony make world leading portable devices automatically mean they'll make an awesome handheld? No, I suppose not. But however, Sony now have quite a bit of a gaming background after 10 years in the field.
    Gaming Knowledge + Portable Electronic Knowledge = ?
    I'll let you think about that one.

Oh and by the way, the NDS looks like a big silver maxipad now :P

JoWood

貴族のキケロ
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 27, 2012
    Shadow said:
    How about the time when the Ataris all became unpopular and no one went to arcades anymore, then the game named Donkey Kong came out and people loved videogames once again.

Thats old news if you haven't noticed. Sony wasn't even into the gaming industry back then.

Shadow said:
    Is the walkman a video game? Apples and oranges my young lad, apples and oranges. Just becasue they can make good stereos and phones doesn't mean they can make a good handheld system.

Lol, go eat an apple. The walkman was a creative handheld (*ahem*) which opened a lot of doors for the Music industry, CDs, mp3(s). It's about the fact that Nintendo isn't creative enough and aren't trying to.(Sarah has already stated this.) The DS was thought upon by an old Game & Watch model. Nintendo is still thinking in the past.

Shadow said:
    Everyday is a new day, thank you for stating the obvious.

A new day and age for the gaming industry genius. How can you fall off topic that easily?

Shadow said:
    Oh oh oh, I am so afraid you know so much mores than mesa. [/sarcasm]
    Peach wasn't in Donkey Kong, it was a completely different woman named Pauline. And yes we owe a lot to Donkey Kong for kidnapping fair Pauline, but Mario was the star of the game and the star of many games that made the NES, SNES, and future systems quite popular.

Blah,Blah,Blah. Donkey Kong and Peach(Pauline) lead to Mario. And Mario lead to other characters.. But thats besides the point. IF it weren't for a DK and Peach there would be no Mario.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    a1337a said:
    And the GCN, a makeup case with a handful of good games that don't sell in huge ammounts anyway, and that cant play DVD's.
    Wow, thats so very innovative.
    Oh wow, I desperately need something that was meant to play games to play DVDs when I already have a DVD player and a DVD-ROM drive. I'm sick of people putting down the Gamecube being put down becasue it can't amke you a sandwich or any other stuff the PS2/X-Box can when the purpose of a gaming system is to play games, not watch movies or cook some eggs (which I swear I could do on my cable box if it didn't have holes all on the top lol).

JoWood said:
    Thats old news if you haven't noticed. Sony wasn't even into the gaming industry back then.
    They weren't back then I know, and they wouldn't be now if Nintendo hadn't helped.

JoWood said:
    Lol, go eat an apple. The walkman was a creative handheld (*ahem*) which opened a lot of doors for the Music industry, CDs, mp3(s). It's about the fact that Nintendo isn't creative enough and aren't trying to.(Sarah has already stated this.) The DS was thought upon by an old Game & Watch model. Nintendo is still thinking in the past.
    Mmmmmm apples....
    Yes the walkman was a great idea, but did Sony make the things it played? No, music companies made the CDs that Sony's walkman played. Hmmm I see something similar going on with the Playstation and Playstation 2. All of the games that the consoles are famous for were made by other companies and not Sony itself, such as Square-Enix, Rockstar, EA, Capcom, etc.

JoWood said:
    A new day and age for the gaming industry genius. How can you fall off topic that easily?
    *walks off cliff and falls into a valley and hits the ground with a cloud of smoke*
    Topic: Beep Beep!

JoWood said:
    Blah,Blah,Blah. Donkey Kong and Peach(Pauline) lead to Mario. And Mario lead to other characters.. But thats besides the point. IF it weren't for a DK and Peach there would be no Mario.
    All three of them co-star in the arcade game Donkey Kong. They wouldn't be there if it weren't for each other. One of those never-ending cycles >.< Pauline wouldn't be there if it weren't for Mario, who wouldn't be there if it weren't for DK, who wouldn't be there if it weren't for Mario, who wouldn't...
    *head explodes*
    We're sorry, but the princess is in another castle

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back