• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony?

Which one?

• Nintendo

Votes: 45 61.6%
  • Sony

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017

Because you need PC with newest components, upgrade everything almost every year to actually play something that isn't x-years old.
    You might not need to pay for online and get huge sales games but components pretty much weight it.

Actually, you don't need to upgrade every year. When you build a PC that costs little more than a console it will be better than a console, and it will always be better than a console because a console's hardware isn't magically overtaking the PC that's been built. You can basically hold off on upgrading anything for at least 5 years and still be able to enjoy all the games that come out during that time with a better experience than the console due to the superior hardware. The graphics will always beat consoles.

Every month? Only really crazy people buy month subscription. Pretty much everyone buys year worth of PS+.
    And... online is free on Vita, PS3. Only PS4 has "paid" online (by "forcing" people to buy PS+ (not like they actually need to))
    But why pay any subscription at all? Plus, look at how expensive the games are. I mean, compare something like Tomb Raider: PC - $20 and frequently drops to $5. Console ("Definitive" edition) - $70. Not to mention all the games out there that consoles will never see, and who could forget about mods for games? PC is cheaper and better.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    The graphics will always beat consoles.
    Yea, on highest details that require brutal GPU that affects price of graphic card.

But why pay any subscription at all?
    Because people like to get games for free.

Plus, look at how expensive the games are. I mean, compare something like Tomb Raider: PC - $20 and frequently drops to $5. Console ("Definitive" edition) - $70.
    Yea, they are expensive... and? It actually makes you think before buying. And after you buy it you want to play it as much as possible.
    With Steam sales, you have library filled with games you will never play because you have too many games. With Steam sales, you just buy and it collects bit dust in your library.

Not to mention all the games out there that consoles will never see,
    Not to mention all the games out there that PC will never see :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Yea, on highest details that require brutal GPU that affects price of graphic card.
    Even a graphics card from 2010 beats these consoles, you can buy a cheap one and even if it doesn't get ultra on games, it will STILL at least be able to get 60 FPS on even higher graphical settings than consoles on the majority of games that are worth playing. Even building a PC with a graphics card that gets ulra and 60FPS is only around the $600-700 mark and you won't have to upgrade for at least about 7 years, and when you do it will only be about $200-300 (which is money you've already saved in cheaper games).
    Because people like to get games for free.
    They're not free because you're paying for something that PC (and Nintendo) already gets for free. The games are so much cheaper on Steam that you don't need to get free games from paying a company to let you use YOUR internet on the console you've already given them money for. You're losing money by paying to use the internet, even with "free games".

Yea, they are expensive... and? It actually makes you think before buying. And after you buy it you want to play it as much as possible.
    With Steam sales, you have library filled with games you will never play because you have too many games. With Steam sales, you just buy and it collects bit dust in your library.
    That argument doesn't really make sense. You're saying that it's better that you have to pay more for games because if they're too cheap it's too hard to control yourself from buying everything. There are people who collect Steam games, but there's nothing actually forcing anyone to do that. What's stopping you from just buyingthe games you want for a vastly cheaper price?
    Not to mention all the games out there that PC will never see :)
    The amount of exclusives on PC easily outnumber those on console. Name me a console exclusive that is worth buying a console for. PC's exclusives aren't by themselves worth buying one for, but everything else PC has better than the consoles PLUS the exclusives of PC (and mods) make a PC much more value for money and many better games to play.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Well, I'm kinda torn between Sony and Nintendo.

I've mostly been a handheld gamer. Yup, all the handhelds in the past are Nintendo consoles obviously. Pokemon has been the only major title I've played as a kid, all the other games I owned were just really boring 30 minute finishers. Hence Pokemon has left a very deep impression on Nintendo's general franchise. When I jumped onto DS I played others such the Mario and Luigi titles, with third party titles from Castlevania to Touch Detective. IMO, Nintendo has certainly nailed handheld gaming.

Sony on the other hand produces great home consoles, with some very amazing titles too. I find it kinda hard to believe that my PS2 is still going strong till this day. Nintendo may try new ways of gaming at home, but I still prefer the Sony home experience. Their handhelds are still... "lacking". I sold away my PS Vita because I don't find myself enjoying it very much compared to the 3DS (not saying that there are no great games, Tearaway is very hard to beat).

I voted for Nintendo in the end, not simply because this is a Pokemon forum, but because I play handhelds most of the time now and the 3DS has a fantastic game library which I'm in love with.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    They're not free because you're paying for something that PC (and Nintendo) already gets for free. The games are so much cheaper on Steam that you don't need to get free games from paying a company to let you use YOUR internet on the console you've already given them money for. You're losing money by paying to use the internet, even with "free games".
    Um... care to read, please? I already told you it only applies to PS4.

That argument doesn't really make sense. You're saying that it's better that you have to pay more for games because if they're too cheap it's too hard to control yourself from buying everything. There are people who collect Steam games, but there's nothing actually forcing anyone to do that. What's stopping you from just buyingthe games you want for a vastly cheaper price?
    And can you say you will surely hold when the prices are so low? :P

The amount of exclusives on PC easily outnumber those on console. Name me a console exclusive that is worth buying a console for.
    Persona series
    Zero Escape series
    Final Fantasy series
    Hyperdimension Neptunia series (xD)
    Obviously, if you are only into FPS, it won't matter to you.

PC (and mods) make a PC much more value for money and many better games to play.
    And mods again... what is so good about mods? What is so good about something that was never intended to be in game?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Um... care to read, please? I already told you it only applies to PS4.
    That means the PS4 must be a rip-off if you have to pay for online.
    And can you say you will surely hold when the prices are so low? :P
    Again, this isn't really a valid point. If you're saying you can get loads of games for the same price as ONE console game, then why not? And say you wanted something like Tomb Raider as I mentioned before, why not pay $5 instead of $60, and then not buy anything else? It's like saying you can buy 2 apples for $2 each or 1 for $5 and you decide to go for the $5 one because it's easier not to buy more. What's stopping you from JUST getting one apple for the cheaper price if that's all you need?

Persona series
    Zero Escape series
    Final Fantasy series
    Hyperdimension Neptunia series (xD)
    Obviously, if you are only into FPS, it won't matter to you.
    None of those are really worth buying a console ($400) for. Again, while PC's games may not be worth buying a PC for, everything else PC has PLUS the games it has make it better.
    Arma Series
    The Sims Games
    Kerbal Space Program
    Civilization Games
    Scrolls
    Many, many indie games
    The majority of console games, but with better graphics and the ability to use whatever controller is desired
    The proper version of Minecraft that doesn't have limited worlds or lack blocks
    Dota 2
    Rust
    Star Citizen
    Stanley Parable
    And mods again... what is so good about mods? What is so good about something that was never intended to be in game?
    Mods are completely optional, and often they do things to enhance gameplay, like graphical mods for Skyrim and Minecraft, or they just increase the fun of the game by adding different mechanics like a lot of Minecraft mods and GTA mods. I'm just saying we have the OPTION to use mods, unlike consoles.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    That means the PS4 must be a rip-off if you have to pay for online.
    Again, this isn't really a valid point. If you're saying you can get loads of games for the same price as ONE console game, then why not? And say you wanted something like Tomb Raider as I mentioned before, why not pay $5 instead of $60, and then not buy anything else? It's like saying you can buy 2 apples for $2 each or 1 for $5 and you decide to go for the $5 one because it's easier not to buy more. What's stopping you from JUST getting one apple for the cheaper price if that's all you need?

None of those are really worth buying a console ($400) for. Again, while PC's games may not be worth buying a PC for, everything else PC has PLUS the games it has make it better.
    Arma Series
    The Sims Games
    Kerbal Space Program
    Civilization Games
    Scrolls
    Many, many indie games
    The majority of console games, but with better graphics and the ability to use whatever controller is desired
    The proper version of Minecraft that doesn't have limited worlds or lack blocks
    Dota 2
    Rust
    Star Citizen
    Stanley Parable

Mods are completely optional, and often they do things to enhance gameplay, like graphical mods for Skyrim and Minecraft, or they just increase the fun of the game by adding different mechanics like a lot of Minecraft mods and GTA mods. I'm just saying we have the OPTION to use mods, unlike consoles.

While I applaud you for passionately pleading your case for the PC master race, I must request that you look back at what you have said thus far, and how ridiculous this argument has become. All consoles have their ups and downs, and this includes PC. A lot of your argument is for Steam. Personally, I despise Steam. I hate using it, and I hate DRM mess.

PCs are indeed more powerful, but not everyone can afford such a nice machine, especially if they have children. Children are a computer nightmare, especially at and around the teen age. And this is where the consoles come in. Geared more towards family entertainment rather than solo elitism. PCs are indeed far superior to the consoles out on the market, but berating someone on how stupid they are for liking consoles is not only rude, but ignorant and weak.

On top of arguing for the PC, it appears that your lack of knowledge of console operations and services has you at a painful disadvantage. Know both sides before waltzing into battle.

Indeed, there are tens of thousands of PC games out on the market, but there are very few solo companies that can align themselves to the economic heights that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo achieve. This enables these companies to create dizzying digital feats. Most of the games developed for the consoles wind up on PC, no doubt, but have no illusions when I say that these companies consider the PC community as a secondary target.

You also made the comment on what exclusives make buying a console worth it. . . well, you are on a Pokemon forum, so there's that.

Please, for the sake of PC and Console relations, stop arguing. No one wins. Except Gamestop, and we can't let them win.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I am opting out of buying consoles that require paying for the online services. I am sure the games for those consoles will be fantastic, but if I'm already paying for my internet service, then I don't find it acceptable to have to pay even further. Nintendo may end up charging for online as they work their way into the market of online gaming, but for now, I'll stick with my Wii U and my PC gaming.

I'm not a fanboy by any means (I had a PS2, an Xbox, and Xbox 360) and I will pick up a PS3 for myself soon to play the fantastic games that came out during the last generation that I missed, but I just can't reasonably justify paying $50-60 a month for Xbox Live anymore as all my friends that play online play on PC. :(

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    I've really enjoyed the way Microsoft has been adjusting it's policies as of late. Sure, their presentation at last year's E3 was pretty bad when it came to the Xbox One, but credit has to be given to Phil Spencer for taking such a "community approach" when it comes to how the Xbox One is being handled nowadays. I'm really, really enjoying the monthly software updates - they've been pulling in a lot of feedback from their site and from their r/XboxOne that it's really cool to see how the community itself is shaping how they want their Xbox One to be like. They've been doing these monthly updates for the past few months and hopefully they'll continue to do them because it's pretty sweet.

Years
    I am a fanboy of Nintendo.

I can't think of many games that I love that are either not nintendo exclusives or multi-console games/series.

Persona will finally be included SMT and other great Atlus series! So, that was one of the lose-ends.

I am sad that Digimon is not working much with nintendo these days, though the redigitized game did make its way on the 3ds in Japan.

Hmm, the only other games I love not included on Nintendo consoles are Star Wars Battlefront and Jet Set Radio Future.

I may actually buy a sony system for the first time since the first year the PS2 was introduced so I can play Star Wars Battle Front, and possible Dragon Quest, Digimon, Persona 5, and others depending upon their exclusivity.

I think Persona 5 is the only one that will really force the purchase, even though we are getting the fire emblem x smt crossover and Persona Q 3ds!!!! Exciting, but, I mean main console Persona game > everything except pokemon.

Years
    Almost all my favorite games and favorite series are only on Nintendo systems. As for Sony gaming I respect the Playstation 3 and 4 but can't absolutely stand their handhelds.

Microsoft, I like their OS windows 7 and 8, but the Xbox gaming systems I was never too fond of.

Years
    Sony.

My first console was a PS2(Which I still have and it' alive and well), so I played a lot of PS2 games when I was younger. It has some of my most favorite games( final fantasy X, God of War and Jak). The sony products IMO are the best looking ones. The controllers are simply amazing( I even ordered one for my PC). You do have to pay for online on the newest console, but still a better deal compared to xbox one.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Persona will finally be included SMT and other great Atlus series! So, that was one of the lose-ends.
    Damned Nintendo, making me buy 3DS xD

Anyways, it's just spin-off (yea, Persona is spin-off and this is Persona's spin-off... what relation does this have to SMT? xD Anyways... back on track) that is just supposed to look canon.

Atlus want to make it canon but they would have to bring immerse deus ex machina to make it work =D

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I prefer Sony hands down. The PS3 feels like a work of art coming to life whenever I have it on for something and this is coming from someone who's been playing the Xbox 360 for a good couple of years now.

Benjamin Kuli

Mahagon
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    I was a "life-time" Sony fan. My first console was a Playstation, and I even had Playstation 2 and 3 as a Day 1 console. I enjoyed and still enjoy them, they all gave me fantastic games. However, Playstation 4 is a huge disappointment for me. There are several reasons why I think that the console itself is a huge stepback, but the biggest disappointment is the mistreating of fans. I have a huge collection of games for all kind of consoles, and it's sad to see that Playstation 4 does not support any of my old games just so I have to buy them again. All these re-releases and plain games they are releasing and planning to release are a huge disappointment, and even the good games are going to be released on PS3.

That's why I bought a Wii U (the Wind Waker one), and I'm glad I did it. I only have 3-4 games, but it was one of my best decisions. The games actually have atmosphere, the tablet was a good idea, and most important: they don't want to be "a cheap pc alternative", they are going on their own way with their exclusives and stuff.

So, current-gen-wise, Nintendo is my favourite. For all the others, well, they tie, as both of them have really good and interesting games.

Years
    While I'd have no real preference if I were just getting into video games now, my vote goes for Sony over Microsoft, mostly because I've been using their systems since the PS1, and eventually plan on getting a PS4 once they've got some more games I want to play.

As for Nintendo, if it weren't for Pokemon, I don't think I'd have ever owned one of their handhelds, and to this day I've never had one of their home consoles. In fact, I'd love nothing more than if Pokemon had been a third party developer, so that I could've played their games on the PSP/Vita, rather than buying a DS & 3DS.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Nintendo, because it simply have some of the well-known games here (like Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, etc). Even though I have some spot on Sony because I used to play PSone when I was a kid.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    I say Sony. Sony always been dependable for me for years and years!
    Nintendo is a close 2nd, I love their games mostly cause I can pick it up to play put it down and just pick up where I last was without trying to remember where I was. Pokemon is the main reason I own most nintendo systems. But Sony always had my heart, since im a RPG fan, especially J-RPG since JRPG goes mostly on a Sony system thats my home system. But Im a sony fanboy, I'm not really afraid to call myself one. Since I never had a broken Playstation system. I had my PS2, and Ps3 for many years now never once shown sign of breaking or failing. I just grabbed a PS4 too soo I hope it does the same like my Ps2 and Ps3. :3

Back