• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

North Korea threatens to wipe the US off the map.

Mitchman

Banned
Years
  • SEOUL, South Korea - An American destroyer was tailing a North Korean ship suspected of transporting weapons toward Myanmar, as anticipation mounted Wednesday that the North could soon test-fire short-or medium-range missiles off its eastern coast.
    The Kang Nam left the port of North Korean port of Nampo a week ago, and the destroyer USS John S. McCain is following as it sails off the Chinese coast. The sailing sets up the first test of a new U.N. Security Council resolution that authorizes member states to inspect North Korean vessels suspected of carrying banned weapons or materials.
    The sanctions are punishment for an underground nuclear test the North carried out last month in defiance of past resolutions. It's not clear exactly what the Kang Nam has on board, but it has transported illicit goods in the past.
    The North has said it would consider any interception "an act of war," with its main Rodong Sinmun newspaper warning Tuesday the Korean peninsula was on the brink of a nuclear war.
    A U.S. official said last week that the American destroyer has no orders to intercept the ship, but experts say the vessel will need to stop to refuel soon on a 4,100-mile (6,660-kilometre), two-week, sail to Myanmar. The resolution prohibits member states from providing such services to ships accused of bearing banned goods.
    Nearby Singapore - the world's largest refuelling hub - says it will "act appropriately" if the ship docks at its port with suspicious goods on board.
    At most, Singapore may refuse to let the ship refuel, said Hong Hyun-ik, an analyst at the Sejong Institute think-tank in South Korea. He also speculated that the Kang Nam may not have banned cargo on board, knowing the ship could be subject to scrutiny.
    In the event that the American destroyer does ask to inspect the Kang Nam and North Korea refuses, the U.N. resolution states the ship must be directed to a port of Pyongyang's choosing. It was not clear which port the ship would be taken to, though on Tuesday a Pentagon official said it was about 100 miles (160 kilometres) north of the Taiwan Strait - close to both the Chinese and Taiwanese coasts.
    The North is believed to have sold guns, artillery and other small weapons to Myanmar in the past. The Southeast Asian military state is the target of U.S. and EU arms embargoes. There are concerns it could use small arms in the counterinsurgency campaigns it conducts against ethnic minorities.
    Meanwhile, North Korea has issued a notice banning ships from the waters off its east coast between June 25 through July 10 citing maritime firing drills, according to Japan's Coast Guard.
    South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported Wednesday the North may fire a Scud missile with a range of up to 310 miles (500 kilometres) or a short-range ground-to-ship missile with a range of 100 miles (160 kilometres) during the no-sail period.
    Yonhap quoted an unidentified South Korean government official as saying the launch is expected from the eastern coastal city of Anbyon. South Korea's Defence Ministry, however, said Wednesday that there was no particular signs in the area.
    It had earlier been reported that the North would test a a long-range missile similar to one tested in April. Japanese media said that could happen around July 4 - the U.S. Independence Day - and the missile would be fired toward Hawaii.
    But U.S. defence and counterproliferation officials said Tuesday that it was expected the North would launch short-to medium-range missiles instead. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090624/world/as_koreas_nuclear

So yeah instead of killings lets get some politics in!

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • Oh no. This sounds like those "mass destruction" weapons supposedly buried in Iraq that we never found....:/
    And why exactly were we "trailing" a North Korean ship anyways?

Years
  • They won't do a thing. It's a concept known as MAD. Mutually assured destruction. If two countries both have the capability to wipe each other out then it is likely that neither will push the button. North Korea trying to develop nuclear weapons is to protect itself, not to be aggressive.

Kota

Years
  • And why exactly were we "trailing" a North Korean ship anyways?

I thought it was quite clear.

...suspected of transporting weapons toward Myanmar

...new U.N. Security Council resolution that authorizes member states to inspect North Korean vessels suspected of carrying banned weapons or materials.

Oh great. North Korea is threatening us...again. Why do they need to "test" missiles, anyways? I can see if it is for testing the power or something, but it really does not make much sense.
    Well, most of the time it's testing for warfare. I'm pretty sure they aren't doing it just to see the mushroom cloud appear over head. They're also trying to hide their activity by going underground, which shows deceit.

North Korea trying to develop nuclear weapons is to protect itself, not to be aggressive.

Isn't that what put them in danger the first time? I mean, they are demanding the world's attention by letting off these nuclear weapons. Seems illogical to keep doing it. They're practically asking to annihilated
    (You'd think they would understand that we have the bigger boom?)

Anywho, it's all talk. I'm sure sooner or later we'll invade their country and tear down their goverment -- Or, it'll be another Cold War. Regardless of what happens I worry for South Korea, they're the ones we need to be concerned about.

:|

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • Suspected? Fantastic. Like I said, we're probably gonna go and invade North Korea and find nothing. :/
    Then again, they could be good at hiding...I dunno. I just don't want the US government to assume things and start another war, especially since a lot of troops are still in Iraq and our economy is bad.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
  • North Korea's threats? I highly doubt they'll take everyone in the US out. If anything, war will break out.

Years
  • Oh noes.
    If they are tailing them, then it is their own fault.

Although people say, "WHAT DO THEY NEED MISSILES FOR?!"
    If your country was testing them, you most likely wouldn't care. They are protecting the country that you live in.
    Yes yes, they could be used as weapons, but most things these days can be.

If America get into a war, then England will be pulled into it. Oh joy.

Kota

Years
  • Oh noes.
    If they are tailing them, then it is their own fault.

Although people say, "WHAT DO THEY NEED MISSILES FOR?!"
    If your country was testing them, you most likely wouldn't care. They are protecting the country that you live in.
    Yes yes, they could be used as weapons, but most things these days can be.

If America get into a war, then England will be pulled into it. Oh joy.

You're obviously forgetting that the UN - AKA: UNITED NATIONS <-- named for a reason - (Your country is also included in the UN) gave specific orders to stop any North Korean ships suspected of carrying illegal arms & or supplies.

What does this mean?

It's not only the United States obligation to stop terrorism. You guys are in the same boat, which means you guys volunteered to get pulled into this. :|

Years
  • You guys are in the same boat, which means you guys volunteered to get pulled into this. :|
    Mmmm, I don't think we would have volunteered.
    Bush and Blare were idiots and Blear did what ever Bush told him too.

I bet I will get flamed for my above post. But I don't really care! XD
    That is my opinion. Meh.

At least you spoke to me Kota. =]

Kota

Years
  • Mmmm, I don't think we would have volunteered.
    Bush and Blare were idiots and Blear did what ever Bush told him too.

I bet I will get flamed for my above post. But I don't really care! XD
    That is my opinion. Meh.

At least you spoke to me Kota. =]

Well, politics are politics I guess. Regardless, we're all in this together now so, might as well stop pointing the finger.

I don't expect you to get flamed either, and you brought up a valuable post, so why not address it?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This is amusing given the relative sizes of the countries.
    And even more amusing that the large one will call for help.

Kota

Years
  • This is amusing given the relative sizes of the countries.
    And even more amusing that the large one will call for help.

Whoa, that's quite a statement.

The U.S is unlikely to even attempt an assault, counting that Obama is now in office. If Bush were in office we'd probably already be over there haha.

But, back to the point, this isn't a video game. It's life and death we're talking about. Millions of lives could be wasted just because we didn't "call for help." when that's actually the smart thing to do. I think the U.S has been the guinea pig long enough.

As amusing as it is to you, it's not for everyone else

Squeegee Beckenheim

SB - The Hunk (Since 2005)
    Years
  • I am really interested in seeing what happens. I think a lot of people consider North Korea a threat and other consider it just a little yappy dog that tries to look big. So I suppose in a few weeks we'll know for sure. I am not going to let it bother me. Whatever happens, happens, in this case. I know that the President and his advisers are watching the situation carefully, and will make some decision.

I just can't imagine what would be happening if Bush were in office.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • They won't do a thing. It's a concept known as MAD. Mutually assured destruction. If two countries both have the capability to wipe each other out then it is likely that neither will push the button. North Korea trying to develop nuclear weapons is to protect itself, not to be aggressive.
    Except Jong-il is nuts and Obama is not.

Developing the weapons when you're not supposed to, testing, taunting other countries, saying you're going to "wipe out" the United States... that's not being aggressive?

I think it's too early at the moment. But as things progress... Why wait around and let them do something? If we catch wind of something then take care of the situation before they us. Somehow dismantle their program. Or something. Just don't allow them the opportunity.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Could this possibly be the prolouge to another war? I hope not.
    Technically the Korean War never ended.

When I read this I laughed. I laughed really hard. Not only do they not have the technology to wipe America out, they don't have to man power, or allies to. They get most of their supplies from China and Russia (except for weapon materials) and by threatening us, they are making China and Russia mad. Meh, if they start another war they will loose. They just aren't strong enough.

Years
  • Kim Jong Il is a joke. Really, who is scared of this man?

North Korea threatens to wipe the US off the map.

It's been shown that their "long range missiles" could be lucky to hit California, as they usually just fizzle out in the time it'd take to get to the U.S. That coupled with our missile defenses and technology makes it pretty hard to 'wipe the US off the map'.

Years
  • Imagine all the food and other things North Korea could buy for its people with the money it spends on its nuclear program.

I can think of two big reasons they're developing weapons. It gives them leverage to bargain and demand more in negotiations with other countries and it gives them a sense of national pride, which is always useful for turning people's attention away from domestic problems (and North Korea has plenty of those).

They won't use nukes. Even "Dear Leader" isn't that crazy.

Back