• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Wi-Fi Summer League Discussion Thread

Years
    • Age 14
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    Lets say a pokemon knows hypnosis and Sleeptalk
    that pokemon will be spiritomb
    and the opponent has gengar with hypnosis

Gengar puts spiritomb to sleep
    Spritomb uses sleeptalk and puts Gengar to sleep
    Gengar switch to Garchomp
    Spiritomb uses sleeptalk and puts Garchomp to sleep

Will that be breaking Sleep Clause ?

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • Lets say a pokemon knows hypnosis and Sleeptalk
    that pokemon will be spiritomb
    and the opponent has gengar with hypnosis

Gengar puts spiritomb to sleep
    Spritomb uses sleeptalk and puts Gengar to sleep
    Gengar switch to Garchomp
    Spiritomb uses sleeptalk and puts Garchomp to sleep

Will that be breaking Sleep Clause ?

That confused me for a moment, since I thought you were under the impression Sleep Talk put your opponent to sleep. But what you're saying is Spiritomb used Sleep Talk and the move chosen on Spiritomb to use was Hypnosis?

In that case, I'd say it's legal by some tiny means. In the main tournament thread, putting enemy Pokemon to Sleep via abilities (like Spore) when you don't have a choice is legal. So if you use Sleep Talk and it randomly chooses a move, yes that'd probably allowed. Why you would worry about this strategy, I'm not sure though. ;) If Sleep Talk allows you to choose which move to use (which I'm pretty sure it does not) then it would be illegal to use Hypnosis while someone on the other team is asleep.

Also, you can't predict switches, but if you are attempting to use Hypnosis on a sleeping Pokemon that you think might be waking up, I'd say forget about it. Putting someone to sleep is just asking for them to switch out, so don't try to double-predict and cast another sleep spell. That would just be cheap.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • I'm actually going to drop out of this. x_x I'm not really into Diamond anymore and I don't really like to battle with strangers much either. It's more of a personal reason and I just don't want to do it, okay? x_x

Years
  • Oh My God! I'm totally in, and I have just something to say.

Can I record my battles to prevent disputes about the victor? That way I can just upload the battle to youtube and you can view it and see who the winner is. Then penalize the liar, or something along those lines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Ricky
    Time Zone: GMT - 7:00 (Pacific Daylight/ Summer Time)
    Friend Code: 3265-5040-8729

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • I have no problems with that. Anyway to prevent conflict is fine by me.

Purrrrrsian

Purrrrrsian used Post Reply!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2009
    Name: Matthew
    Time Zone: US Central
    FC: 3995 6078 7128

How can there be a Freeze Clause? Freeze is a hax function so you can't really control it. And is Chomp being considered uber here or not?
    I don't understand why people are so afraid of old Chompy. Anything that's slower than Weavile with a 4x ice weakness is okay by me.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
  • I don't understand why people are so afraid of old Chompy. Anything that's slower than Weavile with a 4x ice weakness is okay by me.

Yes, but imagine it's a sandstorm, which is fairly likely for most teams with Chomp have either T-Tar or Hippo, and your Weavile's Ice Punch misses due to Sand Veil and then Chomp runs wild on your team?

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • Yes, but imagine it's a sandstorm, which is fairly likely for most teams with Chomp have either T-Tar or Hippo, and your Weavile's Ice Punch misses due to Sand Veil and then Chomp runs wild on your team?

Add that berry to Garchomp that weakens Ice attacks and then even if you do hit, Chomp's defenses are enough to say "Oh haha, that tickled. EARTHQUAKE." -_-

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Can I record my battles to prevent disputes about the victor? That way I can just upload the battle to youtube and you can view it and see who the winner is. Then penalize the liar, or something along those lines.

You should probably ask your opponent beforehand. For example, I personally do NOT want any of my battles recorded or uploaded anywhere, since that basically shows my team to anybody who wants to see it and gives them an unfair advantage.

Years
  • Okay, So I'm in right? Let me just ask something else:

I'm confused, is Garchomp a uber or not? Because it's on my main team.

And I'm not going to be as active over the summer do to my Summer Camp for the football team for my new highschool. I'm gonna be a freshman.

homsar

Competitive Gamer
    Years
  • You should probably ask your opponent beforehand. For example, I personally do NOT want any of my battles recorded or uploaded anywhere, since that basically shows my team to anybody who wants to see it and gives them an unfair advantage.

I think if he uploads it only in case of a dispute it shoudl be fine to record.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • I think if he uploads it only in case of a dispute it shoudl be fine to record.

I'd say recording is fine ONLY if your just giving the recorded link to the tournament organizers. Otherwise, I agree with Ichaste, I don't want my team spewed online. I don't use that much variety so...

Also, any chance we can see who's in our time zone/groups two days early? :bandit:

Charizard Man: Okay, So I'm in right? Let me just ask something else:

I'm confused, is Garchomp a uber or not? Because it's on my main team.

Garchomp is not an uber, so yes, you can use him on your teams, FYI I wouldn't tell people what/who you use, it's easy to develop a strategy just by knowing one or two of your opponents Pokemon.

We're just blathering and complaining how Chomp's are tough to beat and SHOULD still be considered uber.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I'd say recording is fine ONLY if your just giving the recorded link to the tournament organizers. Otherwise, I agree with Ichaste, I don't want my team spewed online.

The problem with that is, no matter how you get it to the TOs, there is always going to be a way for somebody else to find and see it. Call me paranoid if you wish, but I simply prefer not to have my matches recorded at all.

Of course, if we never battle, then it matters not.

Also, any chance we can see who's in our time zone/groups two days early? :bandit:

I am in the same time zone as you, for one.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • so how exactly is this tourney working? are we going to be PMed about our opponent and time of battle etc.?

Back