• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: On Tuesdays Oryx and Triforce think it's Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Kelso was the second worst character on That 70's Show.

The worst was Donna.

GET THE HELL OUT

Donna was amazing. So was Kelso.

I hated Hide..or whatever his name was. No real reason other than I hate people like him.

Years
My parents used to watch That 70s Show when it was still on, and that was back when they thought sitcoms were still tolerable.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
That 70s Show was great! Kitty and Donna were the best. The guys were kind of annoying, but sitcom men usually are.

*cough* Ray Barone *cough*

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
You guys and your sitcoms for entertainment. I use them as sources to know how reality is like, because it's live-action. Doesn't change the fact for me that most sitcoms are mediocre, meaning most people irl, if I view them as how they are portrayed in sitcoms personality-wise, are what's keeping us from being united.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Sitcoms are noooooot reality. Not in any sense of the word. They're scripted often two-dimensional characters that are put into funny situations that would rarely happen and given lines that no one in real life would say.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
You just ruined sitcoms for me :(

The illusion is shattered around me, I don't know what life is anymore

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Sitcoms are noooooot reality. Not in any sense of the word. They're scripted often two-dimensional characters that are put into funny situations that would rarely happen and given lines that no one in real life would say.
Then which form of fiction describes reality in the most accurate way possible?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

None of them do. That's why they're fiction. Life is mostly boring, and rarely has interesting dialogue or entertaining scenes. Even reality TV is cut and edited to create fictional scenarios despite what the participants might say or feel.

Years
That's cold. I think life is really exciting if you open your eyes and ears. Then again seeing aphids in the wild (as opposed to on house plants) for the first time two days ago excites me so it's more so a matter of how easily impressed you are.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years

None of them do. That's why they're fiction. Life is mostly boring, and rarely has interesting dialogue or entertaining scenes. Even reality TV is cut and edited to create fictional scenarios despite what the participants might say or feel.
Many good works of fiction either attempt to almost completely mirror reality and forge some sort of story within that context or, alternately, attempt to mirror some significant part of reality in a meaningful way. I don't think saying all fiction is largely disconnected from reality is fair.

That said, I don't think any one genre of fiction is more likely to be realistic than any other.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I dunno, the sitcom Seinfeld and a few anime such as Lucky Star are shows about nothing, just like reality, and yet they're quite popular. So reality isn't so boring after all.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Many good works of fiction either attempt to almost completely mirror reality and forge some sort of story within that context or, alternately, attempt to mirror some significant part of reality in a meaningful way. I don't think saying all fiction is largely disconnected from reality is fair.

That said, I don't think any one genre of fiction is more likely to be realistic than any other.

Yeah the "none of them" referred to genres of fiction, not necessarily works. There's also some historical fiction, where the author is trying to tell a story within realistic confines of human interaction in one point in time. Of course, there's also historical fiction that just slaps a "Victorian England" label on it and has no committal to reality in human interactions.

Kanzler, fiction in the form of sitcoms and other realistic fiction is designed to pull out the entertaining parts of daily life and ignore the parts that are necessary. If there's no plan for a fun event at work, they don't show you the person at work. They don't waste time with pointless small talk that's irrelevant to the plot of the show because it's not entertaining, not funny, and wastes time. There is no scheduled haircut episode, no regular mowing the lawn clip, no 15 minutes of the characters cleaning up after their children at night. Unless it's relevant to the plot or funny, it's cut. It's not cynical or cold to point out that fictional depictions of reality are designed to cut out everything boring and pump up everything entertaining - it's how the world works.

edit: Seinfeld is described as a show about nothing. That doesn't mean the nothing isn't scripted, designed, and edited to be as packed with laughter and amusement as possible, to follow easily understandable plotlines without significantly diverging from them, to be entertaining and not boring like an average person's life if you just followed them around.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
And if sitcoms were a reality, then there will be covers of dysfunctional families or lunatics ruining everyone's fun at theme parks, shopping centers, zoos, and other public places all over the news all caused by simplistic conflicts. I do not wish to be part of those problems, and yet I keep getting intrusive thoughts of those events happening whether me and my family go on a day trip to somewhere.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
If more sitcoms were reality, then even mid-class people with average paying jobs could afford high end apartments and go to coffeehouses/restaurants almost every day like the cast of Seinfield or Friends. That would be nice actually.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
That reminded me of something, particularly this:
Spoiler:

Years
But I do think life is interesting, with interesting dialogue and interesting events.

Oh my god on the topic of simplistic conflicts:

Okay so I'm practising doing verbal passages on the subway (which isn't a smart thing to do given how it's noisy and vibrating but bear with me) when I hear this loud obnoxious couple blaring throughout the subway car. I'm trying to concentrate on my passages so I do my best to tune them out but oh well eventually I give in because they're that friggen loud.

Turns out that the boyfriend had drawn two penises (one of which I could see) with Sharpie on the girlfriend's leg. So without any consideration to the other patrons (and especially me) they pursue this trivial disagreement to explosive extents - she's saying it's only fair that she gets to draw a penis on his leg, he's just saying no, they're both whining and all this time expletives are inserted between every other word, ♥♥♥♥ing this, ♥♥♥♥ing that etc etc etc

jesus christ

I don't know what kind of people make a big deal about Sharpie penises but I do know that they should not be ♥♥♥♥ing with my concentration while I'm on the subway and definitely not for fifteen straight minutes. You see, it was out of my consideration for the patrons nearby that I didn't consecutively smash their faces onto a subway pole or any other hard surface I could manage to land their faces on. Ugh.

Also they wore really skater-ish clothing and had piercings to high heaven, so for those of you into that kinda fashion and all, these are the people making y'all look bad.

Anyways if you're worried about intrusive thoughts, Pinkie-Dawn, it might be a good idea to take a look at Buddhism and their ways of handling unhelpful thoughts. I don't mean to proselytize but they do have really good ways of dealing with thoughts that are truly unhelpful - as in when brooding or worrying about them doesn't do anything.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
Years
In England school doesn't end till mid July :( boo. Our school doesn't finish till the 18th of July anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back