• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overated gen 1 pokemon

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    Weedle, Abra, Magikarp, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo are all overrated.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    For me, there are aren't any overrated Pokemon, but that';s just me, fair enough. XD

Lime Green

Top Percentage of Rattata
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2012
    To be honest, all of them are pretty overrated..
    Everybody always thinks of Generation One when they think of Pokemon.
    Generation One in general is overrated too.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • I think that certain Pokemon were "normal" in the RBY gen, then underrated in the next gens.

For example, Beedrill was a real Freak in Pokemon Red, but when I transferred it to my Gold edition I found that my old moveset, with which I defeated a great part of Elite four, became simply Useless.

About overratings... Maybe Mewtwo. But that's because he's legendary?
    I remember Snorlax was quite aggressive too by the way.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Gotta agree with Eevee and Dragonite.

Eevee because people always think it's amazing just because it can evolve to so many different things, but that doesn't necessarily make a Pokemon good. Plus the fact that you get it as a gift means even if a lot of people have Charizard, everyone has Eevee.

Dragonite was overrate during Gen 1. It was what, the only dragon Pokemon? So people though "DRAGON OMG SO AMAZING", with a not-so-great design and Ice Ice Ice, it's not as good as people thought, lol.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • must have to agree with Lime Green. Pretty much of generation 1 is over rated simply because they are the first ones, yadi yada. But if I have to point out a Pokemon, I guess Pikachu and dragonite are the ones.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I'd have to say the entire generation, simply because of all the people that diss all pokemon that AREN'T from gen 1.

If I had to pick a specific pokemon, it would have to be either Charizard or Pikachu. Pikachu is EVERYWHERE, and Charizard has the most annoying fanbase ever.

Exzessiva

~shy trainer with a shy Ralts~
    Years
  • Pikachus are over rated. They are not really so awesome as they are considered to be. It's only Ash's Pikachu can can do some cool moves and help him get some badges.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Pikachus are over rated. They are not really so awesome as they are considered to be. It's only Ash's Pikachu can can do some cool moves and help him get some badges.
    Lmao, I'm not against your opinion, but I do think Pikachu isn't that overrated, well it's normal for me since he's the mascot of the franchise.

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
  • Pikachus are over rated. They are not really so awesome as they are considered to be. It's only Ash's Pikachu can can do some cool moves and help him get some badges.

Overated gen 1 pokemon

WHY YOU NO LIKE PIKACHU!!!!
    Sorry I had to.

Last edited:

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Pretty much all the Gen 1 Pokemon are overrated to some extent, especially with the Nostalgia filter carried by old-school Pokemon fans that constantly bash on the newer generations of the franchise, but the worst offenders have to be Charizard, the Eeveelutions, and Mewtwo.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • I personally like Charizard I don't think it is overrated i think it is awesome not only visually but i also think it is a highly powered Pokemon, but i do think people saying it is the greatest Pokemon is what actually makes everyone else call it overrated. But in keeping in the themes of the thread i personally think there a no Pokemon from Generation 1 that are overrated I think there all quite balanced.

Years
  • Surely it all means on what you mean by Overrated?

I'd say there were a lot of overrated 1st gen Pokemon.

Pikachu is only overrated to the majority because it simply is the mascot of Pokemon. And thats not a bad thing, it's one of the cutest Pokemon still. But if we're going to get all technical, it's obviously not going to be one of the most powerful, simply because as we all know, Pikachu's have to evolve to reach their full potential (completely ignoring Electric Shock Showdown from the first anime series...) I love Pikachu!

Gyrados, Dragonite, Alakazam, Gengar and Charizard - the Pokemon Card also had a huge effect on me choosing Charizard I guess aha.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Everything, I don't like Gen I.
    But mainly Charizard and Pikachu, though that's to be expected with the anime and stuff.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    Charizard, everyone thinks hes really good cause of his appearence when venusaur, who is ugly, has way better stats then him.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years

• Lmao, I'm not against your opinion, but I do think Pikachu isn't that overrated, well it's normal for me since he's the mascot of the franchise.
    I agree. I don't feel like people say "Oh my god, Pikachu is the strongest Pokemon in the world!" Sure, you see him everywhere, but that's because he's the mascot, and a cute Pokemon. If you're going to say that Pikachu is overrated because you see him on Pokemon merchandise, then you better be saying that Koffing, Geodude, Zubat, Machop, and Goldeen are overrated, since they statistically are the most used Pokemon in game (78, 73, 71, 60, 51 instances, respectively).
    Charizard, everyone thinks hes really good cause of his appearence when venusaur, who is ugly, has way better stats then him.
    Actually, you're wrong. All the starters have 425 base stat total. (HP/ATK/DEF/SPD/SPE) Venusaur has 80/82/83/80/100, Charizard has 78/84/78/100/85, and Blastoise has 79/83/100/78/85. Though Venusaur has a whopping 100 in the Special category, the only special type move he can learn is Grass, which can be easily countered by switching to a resistant Pokemon. Movewise (direct damage moves exclusive), Charizard gets access to Normal, Fire, Flying (Yellow), Ground, and Fighting, while Venusaur just has Normal and Grass. Even Blastoise, which you failed to mention, has Normal, Water, Ice, Ground, and Fighting. So statistically, I'd say of the three, Venusaur is the worse, having only one Special type to use. Charizard doesn't have nearly as much special, but he also only has one special type. He has higher attack, and he has more Attack based type moves.

Back