• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated Games

Yukari

Since I've been putting this off planning to make a thread for a while now, I should probably just get to this right now or I'll never get it done.

Anyway, even though I wasn't going to do this initially, at Dragon's recommendation I've went ahead and decided to make this thread anyway. What Video Games do you think are overrated? I was going to have a large number of Rules to help prevent any flaming/trolling, but all I really could think of is this: No listing, and you have to explain why you think that a game is overrated. If your post doesn't meet these guidelines then it will be deleted.

With that said go on and debate away!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    If I have to explain why then I don't think any game is overrated. Anyone could easily say CoD or WoW, but when one considers why they're so highly rated... they get what they deserve, really, due to the way they're designed.

CoD hands out instant gratification with rapid level ups and unlocks, and the game doesn't really take any skill to do reasonably well at. Add to that the annual releases and you've got a franchise that's really rather like Pokemon; the games change little upon each iteration, progress within them is rapid and they don't take long to complete. The player gets all the progression all at once, so they feel good about it all at once, and are done in a few months, maybe. It's like eating a meal, ne? And after a meal, one'll get hungry later... so one buys the new game each year.

And WoW does the opposite (funnily enough to the same effect), with long grinds toward goals that will, after the grind, elate their achiever to have completed even if the end result isn't all that useful — I know this feeling myself from Monster Hunter. The game asks for investment and the longer one plays the deeper they get stuck into that. There being a whole community of such dedicated players adds a social investment to it as well.

pkmin3033

Well, a few titles immediately spring to mind for me:

Persona 4

I do not see what the fuss is about with this one: it's a standard-issue dungeon-crawling turn-based JRPG; the story is not particularly revolutionary or imaginative, and it doesn't really add anything to the genre. It's so completely by-the-book that I'm amazed anyone noticed it, really. The cast of the game doesn't do it any favours, either. I have seen numerous people praising this game for its cast, and I will give it its dues that certain members of the cast do deserve the praise they receive: Kanji and Naoto in particular. But others characters – namely Chie and Yosuke – do not develop at all even after their crisis moment, and remain thoroughly stale and highly irritating tropes throughout. There are more flaws with Persona 4 than points of praise, and I rarely see any criticism of it. But it's mediocre and average in almost every area, with only a few high points, yet said high points are carried into the stratosphere and utterly eclipse the negative points, when in reality...they really don't. It's an average game.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Final Fantasy VII

I'm doing these two together, because I see them both as nothing more than standard-setters. That standard has long since been refined and surpassed by later games in my opinion. Whilst one could argue that without these two later games that have surpassed them wouldn't exist, I would respectfully say that is a load of rubbish. These games were the first to do what they did – namely, bring two very popular series into 3D – and if they hadn't of done it, another game would have. Times were changing, and they led the way; they got there first, and that is the only thing that is special about them. But times have changed a lot more since then; we've gone through three generations since then, for crying out loud. It's time to put the past to rest and acknowledge that they have long since been outdone, at least in terms of gameplay. There might be a lot of inferior games out there, but there ARE better ones, and they deserve to be acknowledged based off their own merits, not in comparison to these. In terms of story, especially concerning Final Fantasy VII, it's personal taste, yes. But in terms of gameplay, I don't see how these can be held up as pinnacles of their respective genres when so much has been done to improve the gameplay since.

The God of War series

I'm sorry, but Kratos is the most bland, one-dimensional anti-hero I have ever seen. He has a single emotion: rage. That is ALL there is to him. It's impossible to feel even the slightest bit of sympathy for him, even in the third game. He's a mindless killing machine, he more than deserved the suffering he went through, and there is nothing praiseworthy about him. Yet his character is praised. I don't understand this at all. As far as action games go, God of War is actually rather slow as well - it's little better than a mindless button masher, lacks the frantic pacing or strategy of other titles (Bayonetta, Vanquish, etc) and, whilst the Greek mythology angle is fairly well handled, Greek mythology is one of the most over-used in video gaming. They're fun titles, but they're not THAT good.

There are probably more, but those are the ones that immediately leap out at me. Years later, they're still being put at the top of "Greatest Games Of All Time" lists, despite later titles doing what they do, and doing it better. It just bothers me that you run the risk of being crucified or being burned at the stake if you criticise these titles...especially FFVII and OOT. I don't hate any of those games; let me say that. I just think that people ignore their negative points for various reasons when they shouldn't. "Overrated" is as good a word as any to describe them I suppose.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I generally avoid these threads because I don't much care for discussions that bade full-on negativity without any positive backing. I won't participate, exactly, but I will add some discussion.

There are probably more, but those are the ones that immediately leap out at me. Years later, they're still being put at the top of "Greatest Games Of All Time" lists, despite later titles doing what they do, and doing it better. It just bothers me that you run the risk of being crucified or being burned at the stake if you criticise these titles...especially FFVII and OOT. I don't hate any of those games; let me say that. I just think that people ignore their negative points for various reasons when they shouldn't. "Overrated" is as good a word as any to describe them I suppose.

See, I don't think that's true. I feel like there's a real difference in ignoring a game's negative points and the positives outweighing the negatives to a point where the negatives seem trivial and hardly impact one's experience by comparison, and I think that's why some of these games work.

---

Let's take Persona 4, for example. What you think is "average" about the game are the more subjective parts. The cast, to quite a large number of people, is rather infectious, and this is indicated by the large number of gamers that enjoyed them to the extent that they did back before Atlus started its big push to get the game into the eyes of the mainstream in time for Golden, where its popularity really exploded. But it's because people see the characters as lovable that tropes and the like can be overlooked because, as said by TV Tropes themselves, tropes aren't necessarily a bad thing. What's more, they aren't anime tropes (which was the case of its prequel, Persona 3). They're meant to be tropes of the type of people you meet in real life, either in personality or in their problems, and I think they do a good job of that. It doesn't really sound like you think it overrated as you didn't like what a good deal of people liked about it.

But if we were to talk about the more objective parts like...say, the gameplay, it's pretty easy to find complaints. People talk about the dungeons being different and yet, at the same time, being samey. They talk about the game being a grind at times. They complain about the time limit. The complaints are there, and yet you can still see these same singing praise for the game because of what they think it does right. It's kind of a "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" type deal.

But the thing is, I see it this way: if you're really not enjoying it that much, you won't play it to the end. Persona 4 is long, and there is no reason you should play it to the end if you aren't loving it to some extent. Some people do it to make a point or trash it later- which I'm not trying to say is what you're doing- but it just seems strange that people would play a game like that (people do it with anime too, and I mean, while it's your time...why?). But especially with Persona 4, where you have to spend so much time with these characters and work through these dungeons and do whatever other miscellany...why would you keep playing after a certain point?

---

Now let's walk over to Ocarina of Time, as this is something else I don't agree with. Not the choice in game, rather, but the thought process that is "later games do it better, so why should I play this?" Well, I'm actually going to ignore OoT for a second because, despite it being on the N64, it's still pretty modern (I could jump from OoT to Skyward Sword to OoT again without feeling much jetlag).

The Legend of Zelda is a chief example of this. Let's talk about it by today's standards. Graphics? piss-poor. Gameplay? Okay, but it's pretty stiff. Only 4-directional movement, the animations are minimalist, there's not much deviation, and it's overall a pretty short experience. Music? ...Actually, pretty good. Replayability? It's there, but there's not much point considering there's only one ending.

So why the hell is this game on the top of so many "Best of All Time" lists? Because it set the stage for later LoZ games and played a major part in the development of Action-Adventure games in general? Maybe, but you have to consider that people hold a soft spot for this game on its own as well. Going into the game with a modern mindset is just asking for disappointment. My little analysis up there may have been "extreme", but I think it's an accurate representation of what you will get out of the game when you go into it with those thoughts in mind.

But if we look at what the Legend of Zelda is, it's quickly understandable why so many consider it number 1. It has a vast, open overworld that is unknown and filled with secrets. What else has this? Elder Scrolls (or I guess, most relevant to the thread, Skyrim. Lots of people say Skyrim specifically, despite it being a trait shared by the rest of the series). But what's the difference here? With Skyrim, you're in a vast open world as well, but what makes Legend of Zelda unique is that you're just plopped in an open world with nothing at all. There are no questlines and, heck, without reading the book, you'd just think you were exploring. The world is a mystery, filled with strange creatures, foreign objects, and cryptic messages. You're never really told what to do, but you don't really need to be: the world is your oyster.

It's less than surprising that the game isn't as well received by the modern world that goes to the computer upon not knowing what to do or where to go and missing the charm once they do. We live in a world where being lost means checking out a walkthrough, because the brain practically clocks out at the idea of a quest journal being completely empty. But the problem is that doing such a thing completely dismisses the brilliance of the game's design. The ambiguity of the world's geography and the items you get means that you have to try things. This meant that you weren't just going from point A to point B to point C, but you were exploring and would often find secrets either by accident or really using your brain to match the cryptic words of the cave dwellers to the area. Skyrim does this too. You can explore and do other things. Heck, a lot of games do this, lately. But the difference between those and Zelda is that the main plot isn't hanging over your head the entire time. Heck, it's not hanging over your head at all. One of the most identifiable aspects of Zelda 1 was that it didn't have a forced order to it's dungeons. You could just go into whichever dungeon you want at your leisure.

But what's my point in all this? Simply put, the modern mind can easily dismiss what I described as products of the times. Surprisingly, Zelda 1 is a one-of-a-kind game, there aren't others like it, but I expect many to say that there were games that did what it did better than it did, going as far back as A Link to the Past. And yet, by dismissing what made the original unique, they deny themselves the pleasure of enjoying- or not enjoying- the game as it was meant to be experienced. Ocarina of Time is the same deal, and I use original Zelda as a template because they both have the trait of being "timeless but not". With Ocarina of Time, even if you've played the newer Zelda's, it's playability isn't diminished. Sure, the camera got better and mechanics were polished, but you won't find a lot of its music, story, and it's ideological samurai swordsplay in other titles. Again, it's not like people dismiss these flaws, they just enjoy the games so much that the flaws seem trivial by comparison to the rest of the game, and I think when that happens the game is doing a good job. If the flaws are at the forefront of your mind when you play a game, unless you yourself are the type to put them in front of your enjoyment, then that's just inadequate game design.

---

And I want to make it clear: I'm not defending these games. Sure, I'm a huge fan of Persona 4 and I'm quite fond of Ocarina of Time (not to the same extent as most people, but I'd say it's a good game), but I just want to make a case for why people love this games and why their opinions are valid and not seasoned or overly biased. Sure, there may be a lot of opinions that are, but it seems like these days liking a game that's reached a certain height in popularity is as condemnable as criticizing them.

Sorry for the long post, I pray for any eyes that may have died during this reading.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    Minecraft is SOOOOO overrated had a go on Xbox One earlier and its so boring, simply building and a survival mode thats basically rinse and repeat everyday, Sure its fun to build something but gets boring so fast.

CoD I am guilty of buying this every single year (didn't this year) purely for the multiplayer its really bad, you have what seems 5 year olds being fool through microphones, campers on every single corner, quickscoping (because this is possible in real life) and then people just lagging the game to cheat. Every game is basically a map pack for the previous game with a new title slapped on the box.

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
    Years
  • Destiny

I have no idea why this game gets a lot of praise. The only reason why I see people praising this game is because it is an MMO on a console, which was done two generations ago.

Jak

daяk εco frεak
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 23, 2014
    Minecraft is overrated and I mainly think that because I'm tired of seeing it everywhere. You can't go anywhere without seeing some sort of merch for it and I guess that's great if you like it, but it's like when I go to Walmart and see Duck Dynasty everywhere. Granted, it's not as bad as that merch, but it's getting there. Funny thing is that as I'm typing this, there is a Minecraft ad above the text box...so I think that's case and point. Anyone want a creeper hoodie?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Borderlands. Maybe it's because I came in expecting co-op Fallout 3/NV and got 4-player FPS WoW without raids or PvP, but I really can't stand Borderlands. It's like all the worst, most annoying parts of WoW, dumbed down and in a tedious FPS format.

DotA-like games. The community is invariably awful and the gameplay isn't nearly interesting enough to offset just how horrible the community is.

Skyrim. Compared to Morrowind and Oblivion (and especially FO3 and FONV, which I really do think is a fair comparison), it's just so terribly boring. The entire world basically consists of four places: forest, town, mountain, and cave. This would be forgivable if those places were at least interesting. The overworld is too sparse; actually interesting things are too far and in-between. I really think shrinking the world map a bit would have made things a little better. Also, most of the things you do come across are caves, and the caves are almost invariably a long, linear path with a shortcut back to the beginning with some generic encounters and traps along the way. And everyone raves about the skill system, but honestly, I feel like it's too rewarding of cookie-cutter builds and too punishing for varying from those at all. At least they fixed Oblivion's awful leveling system, but that's not saying much.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I feel like the Zelda franchise is over rated. Sure, they're not for me, but I mean come on it's practically the same story every single time. This isn't Mario, it's an adventure game. The only Zelda games that ever really caught my interest are the ones that ARE different: Wind Waker and Link's Awakening. But even in WW's case the plot still comes back to kidnapping Zelda's heir and trying to defeat Gannon. More games not about Gannon trying to complete the Tri Force and Kidnapping Zelda pls.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I feel like the Zelda franchise is over rated. Sure, they're not for me, but I mean come on it's practically the same story every single time. This isn't Mario, it's an adventure game. The only Zelda games that ever really caught my interest are the ones that ARE different: Wind Waker and Link's Awakening. But even in WW's case the plot still comes back to kidnapping Zelda's heir and trying to defeat Gannon. More games not about Gannon trying to complete the Tri Force and Kidnapping Zelda pls.
    Zelda has never been about its story telling. There's bigger emphasis on them in the 3D games, but the series has always been more about exploring the overworld and solving complex puzzles and fighting enemies in dungeons. It's not unlike Mario. Even if they change it up the main draw of the series will still be the dungeons.

Also Majora's Mask didn't have Zelda being kidnapped, and Skyward Sword had no Ganon in sight, for what it's worth.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Zelda has never been about its story telling. There's bigger emphasis on them in the 3D games, but the series has always been more about exploring the overworld and solving complex puzzles and fighting enemies in dungeons. It's not unlike Mario. Even if they change it up the main draw of the series will still be the dungeons.

Also Majora's Mask didn't have Zelda being kidnapped, and Skyward Sword had no Ganon in sight, for what it's worth.
    I did forget to mention Majora's Mask. That one does interest me a lot actually. And I heard all bad things about Skyward Sword lol. Anyway this thread is supposed to be about voicing your opinion freely, yes? There's more to why I don't like it, I just can't quantify the rest into words. Like I said, the games just aren't for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I did forget to mention Majora's Mask. That one does interest me a lot actually. And I heard all bad things about Skyward Sword lol. Anyway this thread is supposed to be about voicing your opinion freely, yes? There's more to why I don't like it, I just can't quantify the rest into words. Like I said, the games just aren't for me.

Majora's Mask is totally your kind of game I'd say, Necrum. It's quirky, dark, creepy...you'd really like it. It's still a Zelda title of course, but I consider it a black sheep in the series so you might get more enjoyment out of it because of it being pretty different. Sure, there are the dungeons and such like any Zelda game sports, but there is more emphasis on sidequests and getting masks than the dungeons. There are only four of them. You should try out the 3D version when it's released in the spring.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I see a number of people saying Destiny - but... I think it's pretty widely spread in the public eye that Destiny's already a bad game xD I think it's got like a ... seventy something, on metacritic... Just about every youtube review by the big names is all about disappointment, and uh, well I just don't see any hype for Destiny post release lol. Unlike most of the CoD games (I say most because I think Ghosts actually dropped to a 70 or 80 something) where they're on 90 metacritics, average review scores in the 9.x's, and hyped pre and post-release by the media.... even though the majority of quality aware gamers would agree they're quite the same yearly cash grab.

As for what I think is overrated - yes, as someone mentioned - FNAF. C'mon people. Why do you think he put the sequel out so fast. He knew it was a pop culture fad - not an actually engrossing gaming experience.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • As for what I think is overrated - yes, as someone mentioned - FNAF. C'mon people. Why do you think he put the sequel out so fast. He knew it was a pop culture fad - not an actually engrossing gaming experience.
    I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. FNAF is smart in terms of game design and the sequel, while not as good as a horror game or in terms of game design, is a pretty solid game and works as a nice extension of FNAF 1's story (expounding on quite a bit that was only partially seen or implied in 1). And it wasn't just a rehash of one, with extra animatronics. It added and changed things to the point where the game is identifiably similar and yet drastically different.

Sure, people say that it's rehashed garbage because FNAF 2 was released...what was it...a month after FNAF 1? But they're far from the same game and I think they're both solid titles. Who cares how much time it was in between releases? A good game is a good game, and the second one doesn't feel rushed or contrived in the least.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • As for what I think is overrated - yes, as someone mentioned - FNAF. C'mon people. Why do you think he put the sequel out so fast. He knew it was a pop culture fad - not an actually engrossing gaming experience.
    I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. FNAF is good in terms of game design and the sequel, while not as good as a horror game or in terms of game design, is a pretty solid game and works as a nice extension of FNAF 1's story (expounding on quite a bit that was only partially seen or implied in 1). And it wasn't just a rehash of one, with extra animatronics. It added and changed things to the point where the game is identifiably similar and yet drastically different.

Sure, people say that it's rehashed garbage because FNAF 2 was released...what was it...a month after FNAF 1? But they're far from the same game and I think they're both solid titles. Who cares how much time it was in between releases? A good game is a good game, and the second one doesn't feel rushed or contrived in the least.

Going off of what machomuu said, FNAF has a really damn good backstory to it if you take the time and do some research into it. If you go and watch The Game Theorists videos on FNAF and FNAF 2, Polar, you'd see that the designers actually put a lot of effort into their game(s). Even if yes, the second game was done to capitalize on the hype of the first game, it actually was executed pretty well and made the game even more suspenseful and challenging for the gamer.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • I will go research this; and respond in a bit - in which I'll just edit this post instead of making another :P

replyin' shortleh

Editz

Okay so I took waaaay longer on that than I intended; but I learned so much :D I'll start with saying I haven't been completely swayed though, as the vast majority of what I learned was speculation, and going off of minute details people observed that were put (cleverly and discreetly, yes) into the game's dialogue, settings, and screens.

Through watching four different LP'ers play through it, the game theories video, and asking a friend who's totally bought into the 'lore' of FNAF - I've learned just who each different guard is, the chronological order of events pointing to 'the prequel', the supposed role of the children's murders, golden freddy, and all that. My take on that all is - it's fun and easy to speculate. But it's even easier to make a game that can produce little more than speculation. And jumpscares. Because lemme tell ya - about the 50th time REEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA happened, it was more obnoxious than scary. And the minigames in FNAF 2 that end the same way - are disappointing. He coulda done something with that man :c The mini games could've been something else, something more creepy than just having ANOTHER jumpscare at the end. I will say the one where your camera is inside the suit, and the jack in the box thing just floats in front of your eyes no matter where you look is pretty eerie - but... If I remember correctly now, it still ends in somehow -a jumpscare.

Bottom line the game has only 2 possible routes everytime you play. RRREEEEEAAAAA. Or "Ding-dong - yaaaaaay"

And I read that newspaper at the end of FNAF 2 btw - did you see the part about "Opens it's doors"? Yo. That means "opens it is doors". If we take the newspapers and the date on the check and all that as canon; assuming all the little details are purposeful and allude to a great 'lore' - Freddie Fazbear's Pizza *IS* doors. Which I speculate means that the restaurant is a series of portals to different time periods within the game's universe allowing the 'older' animatronics that are actually newer looking in the first game because the second one occurs before the actual old ones were refurbished, to pass into the time period where the original old ones exist allowing the two to unite across time and space against the guard in FNAF2. This is not disproved by the game and is supported by the text in the newspaper tho; so- yeah. That's my take on FNAF 1/2 now that I've read up on it heh.

I get that it's indie, I get that it's on a budget. But the amount of praise, attention, and popularity it has received just seem vastly disproportionate to the game's quality and content to me.

No haterade tho; I can see people liking it in the same way people like a creepypasta. But I question anybody's credibility that honestly says FNAF is a five star game.

I found this to illustrate my feelings on what the entirety of the game is.

Overrated Games

Last edited:

TY

Destiny overrated? No. Overhyped? Definetly.
    Explain to me how a game can still be overrated when people shit on it all the time. Not trying to be offensive, but I'd like to hear how a game can be overrated when the game gets flag all across the boards.

I don't consider anything overrated since the reasons I had in mind actually make no sense since the games recently got flag for their choices (FE: Borderlands: TPS, really didn't like how the game went after the story, but turns out 80% of the hardcore playerbase has the same feeling)

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Destiny overrated? No. Overhyped? Definetly.
    Explain to me how a game can still be overrated when people muk on it all the time. Not trying to be offensive, but I'd like to hear how a game can be overrated when the game gets flag all across the boards.

I don't consider anything overrated since the reasons I had in mind actually make no sense since the games recently got flag for their choices (FE: Borderlands: TPS, really didn't like how the game went after the story, but turns out 80% of the hardcore playerbase has the same feeling)

^ That's what I was saying hahah. It seems like the vast majority agree that Destiny is bad - it even got reviewed mediocrely; so I don't know where the overrated labels keep coming from - the only time it was widely regarded in a positive light - was before it came out. xD The only thing everyone seems to agree is great about it is the soundtrack. (Which is amazing.)

Back