• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Player saved the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
It certainly wouldn't be fun creating many models for overworld usage, but once that hurdle is overcome it likely wouldn't be so difficult to implement the follow me feature in future games. Plus, they likely wouldn't need to create models for the larger Pokemon, since the sizes are more accurate than in past games. That being said, I didn't expect GF to include it in XY. They already had to make a good number of models (I heard some models came from or were designed after the models in Colo/XD; dunno how true that is, though), so having to make ones for the overworld likely would've taken a lot more time, thus resulting in a much later release date for XY (and ORAS) ;;

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
They could always forbid certain Pokémon from following you--such as ones that are too big--as I've stated before, and that would help making this job less of a hassle. There are many out there that are simply gigantic, such Giratina, Snorlax, and Wailord, and once they're taken out, you're left with about 600 Pokémon or so. Plus, overworld sprites are much smaller than models, so they shouldn't take much time to get done. Well, at least for them, since they're professionals.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I wouldn't like that ban on large Pokemon being able to follow me, then I wouldn't be able to see a Giratina run around with me, but that's just me and my weird desires. Less Pokemon means less coding, after all, making the job much easier.

Years
I wouldn't mind that, because I know that in HGSS it wouldn't let gigantic Pokémon like Snorlax, Steelix and most ubers go into buildings with you. So I could imagine they wouldn't make overworld models for the ones like that. Just an idea.

Years
I'd be down for Pokemon following you again so so much but then I'm sure I'd be weirded out seeing a tiny little Onix the size of my character sprite following along after me. A bigger model would be more accurate but then he probably won't fit through the doors of buildings, bahaha. Maybe your trainer can call the Pokemon back when you enter a building?

Years
I'd be down for Pokemon following you again so so much but then I'm sure I'd be weirded out seeing a tiny little Onix the size of my character sprite following along after me. A bigger model would be more accurate but then he probably won't fit through the doors of buildings, bahaha. Maybe your trainer can call the Pokemon back when you enter a building?

As I said, this is what happens in HGSS when you have a big Pokémon following you around - they go back into the ball when you enter a building. And I certainly get what you mean by being weirded out with bigger stuff, which is why I predict that if they were to have the following Pokémon feature return they wouldn't have models for bigger ones.

Years
I've never placed a giant Pokemon in front of my party so I wouldn't remember. xD; Been way too long since I played HG/SS. I think they should do that across the board though for all Pokemon but that's just me. :(

Years
Imagine trying to take an accurately-sized Wailord through some of those alleyways in Lumiose. You'd be breaking buildings and squashing people XD

I could possibly see some of the bigger Pokemon turned into OW models for things like surfing or flying--in the case of the latter, there could be a cutscene of you flying on that Pokemon in the sky (and it'd be skippable, of course). However, there are plenty of large Pokemon that can't do either, so they'd be left out ;; (Plus, imagine surfing around on large Pokemon like Wailord; it'd still be as difficult to move around on, unless the spaces were wide enough or the Pokemon shrunk.) I do agree having models the size of the Trainer would be awkward for those Pokemon, so maybe they could find some way to include them without reducing their size.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Speaking of flying, I think it'd be really sweet if they could show you how you're traveling to whichever place it is that you're planning to visit. They could do it by some animation, and perhaps also let you slightly control your Pokémon to modify how fast or slow it's moving. I've always wanted to see this kind of a feature implemented, and would be pretty great to finally see it happen!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
That would be...amazing to see, tbh. Especially with the way the Pokemon games are going right now, it could happen. The whole control thing makes me wonder if we could have a game based on that *o* maybe like Pokeringer!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Features like this could take a lot of space to implement, though, so it might be a while since we actually see it on handheld games in actuality. On home-consoles, I'd say it's always possible.

Years
Imagine a game with a Colosseum/XD-esque feel on the home consoles, where said features were implemented. I've been wanting to see another game like them for quite some time (PBR doesn't count because it didn't have a plot (iirc) + didn't allow you to catch Pokemon), and I'm sure others feel the same way. Given how poorly the Wii U's doing, I bet making such a game might help boost sales.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm not sure if such a thing would actually boost sales of Wii U, really. I mean, it could to some degree, but for some people a thing like this just cannot be afforded. I personally have one, though, and am really liking it so far. If they were to ever release an XD- or Colosseum-like game, I'd be a huge fan and buy it in a heartbeat. I've played them plenty of times before, and have enjoyed each of their moment; I'd have no problem accepting if I were given chance to go through a similar experience.

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
On the whole 'control flying and see animation' implementation idea, I think I'm a bit opposed honestly. Unless there was a way to turn the feature off and allow for us to fly as per normal I wouldn't enjoy this interruption. It would be fun to play with at first but then I'd just kinda get tired of it, ya know..? Sometimes I just want to get to the place I'm going quickly, hence flying in the first place.

Idk, just throwing in my two cents haha.

Years
On the whole 'control flying and see animation' implementation idea, I think I'm a bit opposed honestly. Unless there was a way to turn the feature off and allow for us to fly as per normal I wouldn't enjoy this interruption. It would be fun to play with at first but then I'd just kinda get tired of it, ya know..? Sometimes I just want to get to the place I'm going quickly, hence flying in the first place.

I agree; I wouldn't like it very much if the game lacked an option to skip it/turn it off. It'd definitely be cool to see if you're using Fly every once in a while, but if I were breeding Pokemon or needed to fly all over to chase roaming Pokemon (if they happened to be in the game) I wouldn't want to see the animation every single time, haha.

re: Wii U, I'd certainly want to get one if another Colo/XD-esque game came out, but I'm only speaking for myself.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It would indeed make sense if there were an option to disable that. We could turn off attack animations in our settings, so perhaps this could be done the same way? Either that, or they could have add some "click this button to skip" feature into the flying screen. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of former, since it could be saving us more time.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I'd like a toggle between enabling and disabling a fly animation, though if that's too much to change, maybe a simple "Press A to skip" will do. Though, I'm a sucker for new features, so I'll probably not bother to skip or turn them off.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It'd be nice if animations were added for pretty much everything else, such as when your Pokémon cut trees, climb rocks, start smashing rocks, etc. Of course, we should still be able to turn them off, so that we don't get annoyed.

Years
HGSS sort of had animations of Pokemon breaking rocks/cutting or headbutting trees/surfing//using strength(?) if the Pokemon was following you around at the time, but it wasn't up close or anything. The idea of cutscenes of Pokemon using Rock Smash/Cut also reminds me of Gates to Infinity, where you could see the Pokemon knocking over trees and stuff by headbutting them. (Given, it was always "up close", even when you weren't doing anything that altered the environment.) That being said, it'd be neat to see cutscenes for using other overworld moves with the option to skip or turn them off.

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
I can't help but feel like that might be way to much information for the game to process... just being that there are lots of Pokemon that learn HM moves, ya know? The various 3D models they'd have to animate doing those things might be a bit tough and would definitely end up taking up more memory than necessary.

And I'm still really on the bandwagon to rid HM moves altogether with the exception of the really interesting ones like Surf and Fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back