• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Genesis

Thrace

@tion
Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    On the level rate thing, you just have to find that right spot... I think you should keep it high by the way, I mean it is a game after all, what's the point in keeping the pathetic level rates around? >_> Making trainers stop and train a little, sorta bond with their Pocket Monsters isn't a bad thing in my opinion. Though, you don't want to blow the players out of the water. XD What happened to patient players anyway? ;/ So, depending on the size and length of your region, you should base your level rate accordingly. As that's how level rate is actually determined in today's versions. An example would be that Johto had the weakest 1-8 level rate, however, it also had 8 more gyms to combat such. Playing around with levels is a tough call, but I'm sure with the right testers they can inform you to drop/increase such. Don't be oh so worried about it either, you'll be able to find the right spot. ;D

Now, onto the stats of the starters. (By the way, very interesting bunch o.o I'll still pick Ampharos anywho) I think you're additions to their stats were perfectly fine. They make complete sense too, and shouldn't be too overpowering, because stats really only get overpowering when they reach 600, in competitive terms. Psuedo-uber have a BST of 600. O_o Where did you get Arcanine from? More like 600 (Garchomp, Metagross, Salamence, etc are psuedo uber) I guess you're refering to your game in that sense? But shouldn't really talk about competitive terms when it comes to in-game play. Well, I think they're fine. ;D As long as your game can also provide a challenge to them. They can't walk all over the competition, so if you make the level rate small though, don't change much. However, if you make the level rate higher, I say go for it. Through testing you should be able to find out whether they're too much for the competition. All in all, with everything that involves levels, stats, movesets... You have to find that balance point. You're testers and you should be able to determine that I guess.

For the movesets, well, shouldn't Walrein get the chance to have roar? I mean, it doesn't have it in the fourth generation, (I think) but it'd be a nice touch. Sea lions do roar like... well, they're insane when it comes to barking. XD And seeing as you increased Flygon's special attack, you may want to pack some more special moves in there.

By the way, you know I'm a complete supporter for this hack, so don't ever quit on this... or I'll come eat you. ;D Liking Palerose by the way, very interesting stuff, keep it up!

That's pretty much all I can come up with at this point, good luck with everything bud! =D This post probably just caused more confusion, but eh well, I tried. Hope everything goes well~
    Thanks BeachBoy! This is the kind of posts I would love to see here. Questions to which I can give answers to bounce ideas to improve my hack.

Having higher levels causes a bit of problems. Level 40 at the 3rd badge is far too much by any stretch and training Pokemon like Shroomish, Larvitar etc. will be a real pain since their so weak until they evolve. Also at the Pokemon League I want there to be a jump in levels by about 10 and from playing ShinyGold I know that its possible to beat a lvl70 with a lvl60 quite easily, and if that becomes the case it won't be all that difficult.

I meant Arcanine has the highest BST that isn't an Uber or Psuedo-Uber it has 555 I think. I just thought I might have been a little biased towards Special Attack/Attack.

Roar? Well maybe but I doubt anyone would keep that attack. Yeah I wanted to give it some more but what can I give it? Its Ground/Dragon so I don't really know what? I might give it some extra TMs but I really wanted to stay away from changing those.

Yeah I definitely won't give up on this hack, I've made too much progress to give up now.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Thanks BeachBoy! This is the kind of posts I would love to see here. Questions to which I can give answers to bounce ideas to improve my hack.

Having higher levels causes a bit of problems. Level 40 at the 3rd badge is far too much by any stretch and training Pokemon like Shroomish, Larvitar etc. will be a real pain since their so weak until they evolve. Also at the Pokemon League I want there to be a jump in levels by about 10 and from playing ShinyGold I know that its possible to beat a lvl70 with a lvl60 quite easily, and if that becomes the case it won't be all that difficult.

I meant Arcanine has the highest BST that isn't an Uber or Psuedo-Uber it has 555 I think. I just thought I might have been a little biased towards Special Attack/Attack.

Roar? Well maybe but I doubt anyone would keep that attack. Yeah I wanted to give it some more but what can I give it? Its Ground/Dragon so I don't really know what? I might give it some extra TMs but I really wanted to stay away from changing those.

Yeah I definitely won't give up on this hack, I've made too much progress to give up now.

Good to see you liked it, and glad to help. XD

Ah, I read that Arcanine part wrong then. XD

No, 40 by the third gym is... whoa. O_O Usually, it's level the difficulty with the trainer. The first two gym leaders are tough (usually) and then three and such set the tempo, with latter gyms being the test. (Like the Elite Four) Or, at least that's how I like it. XD Also speaking of gyms, just for a reminder...The good ol' use their own unique Pocket Monster Gym Leader, just keep that in mind. I hate it when I see a steel gym with all the trainers having a Steelix and then ZOMG THE GYM LEADER HAS STEELIX TOO, HOW ORIGINAL! But yeah, I'd say set the level rate okay with the early gyms and then turn up the heat later on.

Flygon is a dragon, so maybe Fire Blast? o.o I dunno, just seems iffy to lack special attack with such a special attack stat. Y'know? Roar is a bit eh, seeing as some don't use it. (Forgot in-game is such an attack based game) How about Ice Beam? o.0 Just throwing ideas out there. But yeah, the stats are fine, movesets could use a tweak or two, but don't really know what to suggest. XD But note, just because the majority fail to use it, doesn't mean it's not worth a slot. If movesets followed the attack varient only, then growl wouldn't exist. ;P

On an off-topic note. I use smilies wayyy too much.

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Good to see you liked it, and glad to help. XD

Ah, I read that Arcanine part wrong then. XD

No, 40 by the third gym is... whoa. O_O Usually, it's level the difficulty with the trainer. The first two gym leaders are tough (usually) and then three and such set the tempo, with latter gyms being the test. (Like the Elite Four) Or, at least that's how I like it. XD Also speaking of gyms, just for a reminder...The good ol' use their own unique Pocket Monster Gym Leader, just keep that in mind. I hate it when I see a steel gym with all the trainers having a Steelix and then ZOMG THE GYM LEADER HAS STEELIX TOO, HOW ORIGINAL! But yeah, I'd say set the level rate okay with the early gyms and then turn up the heat later on.

Flygon is a dragon, so maybe Fire Blast? o.o I dunno, just seems iffy to lack special attack with such a special attack stat. Y'know? Roar is a bit eh, seeing as some don't use it. (Forgot in-game is such an attack based game) How about Ice Beam? o.0 Just throwing ideas out there. But yeah, the stats are fine, movesets could use a tweak or two, but don't really know what to suggest. XD But note, just because the majority fail to use it, doesn't mean it's not worth a slot. If movesets followed the attack varient only, then growl wouldn't exist. ;P

On an off-topic note. I use smilies wayyy too much.
    Well all gym-leaders are extremely tough to beat in my hack. At least in my opinion. I've tried to make movesets that will be very effective, I haven't tested theses out yet however.
    Yeah I really hate seeing that as well with gym leaders. The original games all do that. Mine won't since I'm using Pokemon from 3 different regions (not just one) I'll have tonnes of Pokemon to choose from. Especially for the Granite City one, its Rock/Ground so there's a lot of choices.

Yeah, Fire Blast is really its only option in terms of Special based attacks, it can't learn Water/Ice/Electric/Grass etc. It can learn Fire Blast through a TM though so I probably won't add it. Ice Beam? Seems a little too generous don't you think? (but then again I did give Flygon Dragon Claw xD) But I just see Ice Beam as way too useful so I probably won't give it that. Its got Aurora Beam which isn't a whole lot weaker.

Haha yeah you do use a lot of smilies, but I think that's good. It makes posts seem more friendly.

Anyway heres an update:
    Spoiler:

I accidentally screwed my save file so I couldn't take screenshots. Anyway in this gym you will have to keep falling of the platforms until you get to the gym leader. Each tile you can fall into will take you to either a platform or the leader. The minimum number of trainers you have to fight is 2... if you know where to fall.

I'm going to start testing now. Mainly because I have to becuase my save game is screwed. Anyway when I've finished testing myself I'll send it to my beta testers. After bug fixing Beta 2 will be available for downloading.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Hiya, dshayabusa!
    Thought I'd drop by because your looking at my hack and...I say wow.

You took those tiles from Zel, right?
    Hmmm...

So you're saying Beta 2 is almost finished?
    Cool!

I can see how those fall tiles would work...
    The same way as the ones in the Seafoam Islands...

Oh, why doesn't the Gym Leader's platform have those ledges?

Those ledges make it look as if they go up in height...xD

:)
    It looks waayyy awesome so...yah!

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
  • Always as good am I right,Dshayabausa?

I love the new screens yet those trees look from Don Patch, haha.

Concerning about legendaries:
    Do you think you can add some new legendaries?(I have shaymin sky forme :) indexed battle sprite).

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    Just downloaded and patched, amazing hack! I love it! The story is very good and different :)

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Hiya, dshayabusa!
    Thought I'd drop by because your looking at my hack and...I say wow.

You took those tiles from Zel, right?
    Hmmm...

So you're saying Beta 2 is almost finished?
    Cool!

I can see how those fall tiles would work...
    The same way as the ones in the Seafoam Islands...

Oh, why doesn't the Gym Leader's platform have those ledges?

Those ledges make it look as if they go up in height...xD

:)
    It looks waayyy awesome so...yah!
    From zel? No those tiles are already in FireRed. They are from the Pokemon Mansion. Beta 2 is a few days away actually ;). I actually forgot to add them to the leader, they are on now.

Always as good am I right,Dshayabausa?

I love the new screens yet those trees look from Don Patch, haha.

Concerning about legendaries:
    Do you think you can add some new legendaries?(I have shaymin sky forme :) indexed battle sprite).
    Huh? Which tiles? Do you mean the big trees? Those are from R/S/E.
    New Legendaries? Probably not, I've already got a lot. I've got all the ones in FR minus Lati@s and I've got the lake trio + dragon trio + Arceus, so its quite a lot.

Beta 2 is now being tested which should take a couple of days after bug fixing I will release it. It is highly, highly recommended that you start from the beginning since I've changed all the trainers levels and if you start from Beta 1 you will be way overpowered. I've also edited quite a few of the scripts so that might cause problems if you choose to start from your beta 1 save. The beta ends at Palerose Gym.

The gym in Palerose Town is a very special gym because two types are used there, both Ghost and Normal. Why? Its because Palerose is connected to the two main Pokemon in Genesis, Arceus and Giratina. Palerose is the most important place in Serao plot-wise. It is where most major events occur.

Oh, and if you didn't know Arceus is Normal-typed and Giratina is Ghost- and Dragon-typed. In my hack however Arceus is Normal- and Dragon-typed, mainly because I can't implement hi Multi-type ability and secondly to emphasize the relationship between the two. Arceus being Dragon-typed isn't too difficult to believe is it? It looks sorta Dragonish, sure it doesn't have wings but neither does Dialga.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    Oh, and if you didn't know Arceus is Normal-typed and Giratina is Ghost- and Dragon-typed. In my hack however Arceus is Normal- and Dragon-typed, mainly because I can't implement hi Multi-type ability and secondly to emphasize the relationship between the two. Arceus being Dragon-typed isn't too difficult to believe is it? It looks sorta Dragonish, sure it doesn't have wings but neither does Dialga.

You could make arceus normal type and give it the 'colour change' ability that kecleon has, i believe...It's about as close to it's D/P ability as you're going to get. :)

EJames2100

Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
    Years
  • Sorry I haven't checked all your updates since your last beta release, 1st the bad followed by the good :)

The 3 starters, are you sure about them, when I first saw what I could choose from I was wondering if the game was gonna be any good at all.
    I spotted a few tile glitches, 1 in the mountains to the left(I can take screenies for you later if you want) hen you go back t the starter town, there is something wrong with I think your house and all its tiles and messed up but when you go to the bottom of the screen and come back up it's fixed.
    1st Gym in the 2nd time, isn't that a little soon,I'm guessing not as people who play hacks are generally really good at Pokemon but still.......
    I'm guessing you didnt have time to insert the new world map ?

The Good Bits :)
    I absolutely love it, I was playing last night and I was hooked, I kinda pressed the power button on my keyboard and turned my pc without saving(><) but I have no problems re-doing the game as it is good that it makes me want to play.
    I hope beta 2 is released soon as I'm not sure I wanna get far on it and have to do it over again :(

How far will the 2nd beta keep me going too ?

Sorry if I've pointed out anything that has already ben pointed out :)

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    You could make arceus normal type and give it the 'colour change' ability that kecleon has, i believe...It's about as close to it's D/P ability as you're going to get. :)
    Yeah but its kinda not the same. Multi-type gives you total control over its type, colour change gives control to the opponent.

Sorry I haven't checked all your updates since your last beta release, 1st the bad followed by the good :)

The 3 starters, are you sure about them, when I first saw what I could choose from I was wondering if the game was gonna be any good at all.
    I spotted a few tile glitches, 1 in the mountains to the left(I can take screenies for you later if you want) hen you go back t the starter town, there is something wrong with I think your house and all its tiles and messed up but when you go to the bottom of the screen and come back up it's fixed.
    1st Gym in the 2nd time, isn't that a little soon,I'm guessing not as people who play hacks are generally really good at Pokemon but still.......
    I'm guessing you didnt have time to insert the new world map ?

The Good Bits :)
    I absolutely love it, I was playing last night and I was hooked, I kinda pressed the power button on my keyboard and turned my pc without saving(><) but I have no problems re-doing the game as it is good that it makes me want to play.
    I hope beta 2 is released soon as I'm not sure I wanna get far on it and have to do it over again :(

How far will the 2nd beta keep me going too ?

Sorry if I've pointed out anything that has already ben pointed out :)
    Thanks! You don't like the starters? Geez, no one seems to like them :(
    All of those glitches have been fixed except for when you go from Route 1 to Verasa and the tile thing happens, that won't be fixed for a while.

You can get a map from the fat guy outside your house but theres not much point since I haven't edited it yet. I will in beta 3 because you get Fly then.

Beta 2 goes to the 5th gym. Many more routes and you get Surf so theres a lot to do in Beta 2.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
    Years
  • Hey, dshaybusa! Nice new updates you have there. Actually, I really love this hack. One reason for that is that it keeps the same feel of Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, which I really liked. I mean, you have a completely different storyline, changed maps, and everything, but it still feels like FireRed.

All of the events are timed and placed nearly perfectly, and these things would make the game longer in gameplay. I'm sure this will be a great hack to play once it's finished.

This is one of my favorite hacks out there, so keep on updating and keep up the good work.
    Good luck, dshaybusa.

EJames2100

Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
    Years
  • Sorry I'm just not used to different starters and normally like to get ma fire Pokemon and pwn everything :)

Kool, not too long till the beta's out is it ? I've put off playing the 1st beta at the moment and hope I don't have to hold off any longer.

+ I don't know why peopl don't like the FireRed theme, I quite like it :)

Also this game is a hack of FireRed (U), maybe you should put that in your first post cause I tried patching to FireRed (E) and it wouldn't work at all ><

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2010
    This game is the best I've played so far. And i mean i love that you didnt follow the rule "Water beats fire beats grass" you made it you own. Truly a nice game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2009
    The starter system is rather sick. However I noticed if you picked Mareep you have little to no chance of winning the battle. You might want to do something about that.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    The starter system is rather sick. However I noticed if you picked Mareep you have little to no chance of winning the battle. You might want to do something about that.

Why is that?
    mareep has pound, and trapinch doesn't have anything special about it.
    In fact, I beat trapinch on my first try, with yellow HP only.
    oh, and i found a few bugs and glitches/oddities Dshayabusa, but they were nothing game breaking.
    I'll PM you tomorrow about them.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Sorry I'm just not used to different starters and normally like to get ma fire Pokemon and pwn everything :)

Kool, not too long till the beta's out is it ? I've put off playing the 1st beta at the moment and hope I don't have to hold off any longer.

+ I don't know why peopl don't like the FireRed theme, I quite like it :)

Also this game is a hack of FireRed (U), maybe you should put that in your first post cause I tried patching to FireRed (E) and it wouldn't work at all ><
    Yeah good point, thanks :)

Why is that?
    mareep has pound, and trapinch doesn't have anything special about it.
    In fact, I beat trapinch on my first try, with yellow HP only.
    oh, and i found a few bugs and glitches/oddities Dshayabusa, but they were nothing game breaking.
    I'll PM you tomorrow about them.
    Cool, thanks a lot. Theres a problem with the rival script in Granite City, don't talk to him just use A-map to move him.

Mareep has growl and its faster than Trapinch (lol 10 speed). I guess if it gets a couple of sand-attacks in it will become quite hard. Apart from that though, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Well one of my beta-testers has nearly finished, 1 is half way, not sure about 1 and 1 hasn't replied. So the beta will be coming after I get pms from my testers. So it will be here either today or tomorrow (timezone difference makes it hard to tell).

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2009
    Trapinch also does more damage per attack. Also, after you beat Jim I wandered into an area where the pokemon trainers were Level 28. Neddless to say even with my Vibrava (who I was very surprised and very grateful evolved at Lv.18) and Pidgeotto I got owned. Anyway, I think you are doing a great job. I played the Beta for 2 or so hours and loved it.

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
  • when are you gonna change the main trainer sprite?
    Quiet, I'm indexing them, and I'm lowering rep.
    Trapinch also does more damage per attack. Also, after you beat Jim I wandered into an area where the pokemon trainers were Level 28. Neddless to say even with my Vibrava (who I was very surprised and very grateful evolved at Lv.18) and Pidgeotto I got owned. Anyway, I think you are doing a great job. I played the Beta for 2 or so hours and loved it.
    Well for some beta testing, sometimes you have to cheat just to find the glitches,
    Trapinch
    Pros:

• Stronger
    • more HP
    • Has no Weak Attacks
    • turns into a vibrava then flygon
    Cons
    • Easy to kill
    • Slow
    • has to go to level 18 to evolve

Back