• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Normal (Build 3.0 RC 2.73 Live Update)

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
  • The next update will be out soon. Hopefully middle September. It'll be pretty much a full region game with some post league content and tons of fixed/improved things from RC 1. Most noticeably, hints. I just don't want to rush a release and its not at the level I want it to be. I'll be done with scripting and mapping everything very soon. Most of the time will be towards graphical things, like updating the titlescreen, overworld graphics, and troubleshooting some minor bugs I found, etc.

As for the whole game, I'm aiming for 5 beta releases. Beta 4 should be released before the end of the year since I have everything in place from beta 3. I'll release a pre RC 2 version for my beta testers very soon. Here's some random updated screenshots: The grammar error has been fixed.

It seems like everything is starting to go fast despite the slow start the game faced. I'm really proud of the progress that was made, but what about the sequel? Is it still realistic? Do you still have reasonable plans and ideas and 'time' to make another game of this quality? Considering the tools we have now aren't really child's play, especially not the scripting...

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
    Years
  • Long Post Incoming!
    Sorry but can i have some questions?
    -Can you change the font? I can't see them all because I only see half of the words and they look so small.
    -This hack is completed? Reason is above, thank you.
    My last post in this thread stated the progress of this game! You maybe got confused when I said basically a full region game. This is a two region game, but the next release will have the first region completed (excluding some post Taejo and post Sejio areas).

As for the font, you mean in the game? Or this? PC has different themes we can use so the font may look different for some people, varying for others. For instance, I'm using the FTP theme with Bubble One font, but it looks good to me. Hmmm, anybody know a good readable font to use for this site?
    Did this game actually won an award or price? Considering how good it actually is, it should have definitely won something. Pokémon Glazed wasn't also the most perfect ever made and received the Hack of the Year award... Will definitely nominate it for some categories if there was another price/award for a game. Mapping-wise it's really good.
    Thanks for the support! I put a lot of effort into this game, especially in the elimination of bugs considering all the features I have implemented to this rom. I'm surprised the rom never exploded lol. As of today, I don't have any game breaking glitches, just minor fixable bugs. I'll see if my beta testers encounter any major glitches.

I really loved Glazed. The amount of effort put into it given that it's on an Emerald rom, which I feel is harder than hacking on Fire Red, due to resource support (in comparison to Fire Red).

It seems like everything is starting to go fast despite the slow start the game faced. I'm really proud of the progress that was made, but what about the sequel? Is it still realistic? Do you still have reasonable plans and ideas and 'time' to make another game of this quality? Considering the tools we have now aren't really child's play, especially not the scripting...
    Although I've been working on this game for three years (started August 2012), technically 1.5 years of work have been put into this game. There was a time when I almost quit the production because of my first HDD failure during May 2013. I had lost tons of progress and was stressed out from university. Then a month later I restarted the progress I lost and released beta 1.5 a few months later. Losing the progress ironically made me better cause I ended up learning how to do a bit more things hacking wise, like improving my mapping and not rushing things. The mapping that I originally lost was actually sub par and rushed.

Then last summer I had another HDD failure, but it didn't die completely. So I was able to retrieve SOME of my data (thank goodness this game was one of them, else this game would have been cancelled) before it COMPLETELY died. At that time college started and I lost all motivation to continue due to a useless HDD and laptop. Never bothered to get a new HDD because I didn't want to work on the game anymore... until this summer I restarted progress by releasing whatever progress (first beta 3 RC 1) I had to regain motivation. And the newer tools and findings made things less stressful. So it's really 1.5 years.

As for the sequel, not sure. But I always subconsciously had the idea of the pre sequel since beta 2.3. You'll notice a bit of things referenced to "three years ago" that's not in normal version, like somebody named Alphere, Trainer Teal, and the 999 (resembling a coiling snake) legend. I've been kinda working on it, extremely little though. There'll be a thread of it when beta 4 of this game is released. It's on an Emerald rom where you'll play as Trainer Teal with Lotad as your starter. The Uiyto region map is 95% completed with four regional quadrants. Teal Version is a 100% definite. You'll learn the origins of Frozen and Inferno. And ZX...

All in all, the sequel to Normal Nersion, Ultimate ZX may get to see the light of day considering that PNV is the only two FULL region hack I'll ever make lol. PTV is going to be one region and so is PUZX. But! I have no idea if PUZX will take place in a future rebuilt Uiyto or a completely new region. A rebuilt Uiyto would make more sense story wise.

And please! I don't want anymore HDD failures!

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2019
    So, I'm stuck after I get back to Pokewood for the 2nd time. Am I supposed to go through cycling road? The Youtube walkthrough shows Nakasu having a bike, but I have no idea where to get one. Any solutions?

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    So, I'm stuck after I get back to Pokewood for the 2nd time. Am I supposed to go through cycling road? The Youtube walkthrough shows Nakasu having a bike, but I have no idea where to get one. Any solutions?

I get the bike at 7:30.

You should have visited all the buildings on the way back to PokeWood. You can still go back. Take a look at my location

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
    Years
  • Here are some updates. I completely reworked the evolutions for this game to fit the two region level curve, once again. For instance, all Kanto and Johto starters evolve at [level 20] and [level 40]. It's more fun to evolve creatures now and figure the methods out from NPC hints, than the more boring typical level up method.
    Sample taken from my beta document. Two Pokémon, Togetic and Lickitung will only be able to evolve once the Seijo Dex is unlocked. Their method of evolution will remain unknown as of now.
    Spoiler:

And here is a screenshot from the Aqualight Takeover: The map is using the sunlight weather, that's why it looks really bright.

Last edited:
    Years
  • To collect the grey feathers in Silversky Forest, is one on the other side of the fisherman? And do you need surf to get it? I have 5, just need the sixth one to redeem the "special pokemon" for the grey feather collecter.

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
    Years
  • I'm really loving this hack so far but I'm also feeling extremely frustrated by the total lack of guidance in some regards. I've played a lot of exploration heavy games but this one is honestly to the point of pissing me off despite all the other things I like about it.
    Silversky Forest is especially confusing, I've gotten stuck a multitude of times on different things - what to do after the Rocket event, where to use Tizzle's Key (though I liked that one when I figured it out), how to get into Lola's gym, etc.

Now I can't for the life of me find Cut. And I know it's apparently a pretty obvious thing to find but I'm totally lost. I've done everything else in Silversky and I should be able to move onto the next town now but I'm an idiot and hints are doing nothing for me. I heard a "boy" mentioned who gives it to you but talking to everyone has done nothing for me. if somenoe could just PM me the answer I'd really appreciate it.

Now to the things I really like about this hack: the mapping is really really aesthetically great, and not just the tiles. I love how there's grass and trees and ponds all over, Taejo has a beautifully wild look to it and it's the kind of thing I eventually want to emulate in my fangame (I'm no hacker haha :P ) I also love the alternate passages and backdoors everywhere. Makes it really fun to just run around and take in the landscape.

I like a lot of the new moves and changes to old moves and movesets. Everything about Punk Buggy is perfect, the name, the usage (because bugs don't really have anything for the level 20~ range in the canon games), I want it it to be a real move so bad haha. Pounce is also nice and it was really cool to see my Poliwag learn Wish at level 10.

A couple concrete suggestions: to make the more directionless segments a bit less frustrating for the average player, it might be better to show the results of the player's actions through an event so we can see what has changed. For example, show Lola or one of her friends returning to her gym, or show their suitcases from their vacation outside of the gym or something. Sometimes just a hint of what the previous event caused would be enough.
    Also making tiles that you're required to use an item on look or act just a teeeeny bit different - like how in LoZ bombable walls would make a different sound with your sword when you hit them. Maybe, for example, they could have a very subtle animation relevant to what you';re supposed to do to them. Like the wall at the very beginning of the game you need to use the Scripture on could have a subtle rectangular indentation to place the scripture in. (Also, pertaining to the scripture, you don't really put paper on walls randomly? maybe make it more obvious it's a stone tile or something.)

Also I think making time based events something necessary to proceed is an interesting idea but also kind of cheap. Making players wait until a certain time for an event that's barely even hinted at as being necessary to continue with the main story trips a lot of people up, as they could be playing at another time and go through everything and see no way to proceed and to paraphrase "how not to write a novel", if someone has to decide whether they're stupid or your hack is stupid, they know what they're going to pick, because they're sure not stupid.

Some of the areas are really barren in wild Pokemon variety during certain times of day (first route during daytime, silversky at night with no weather.) I'd suggest maybe adding a couple more or evening out the rarities. I'd really love to do a Nuzlocke LP of this someday and I feel like my team options might be too slim for it at the moment.

And this is really minor and it might just be me - but the little rock shapes on the ground you can step over... They look like something you shouldn't be able to step over, I think it's the outlines honestly. I know they're passable terrain but I keep getting confused and thinking they aren't. The green mounds, by contrast. DON'T look like obstacles but are - maybe it's too much Dragon Warrior Monsters (they look similar to the hill tiles in that game which are passable...) I'd suggest removing or lightening the outlines on the rocks and adding in outlines on the green circle thingies (I'm not sure what they're supposed to be. If they're bushes the tiles could use a revamp.

I'm a pixelartist, I'd be happy to make some small tweaks to stuff if that interests you at all. Maybe make the G-Pokemon more than recolors. Hit me up if you think you could use some help on the graphics front.

EDIT:

Quick update, found the Cut guy. I think it's a bit confusing to have him be a while away (in fact a tunnel away) before you need Cut, and THEN to have the trees in Silversky only the slash lady can chop down look exactly like your typical Cut trees, which seems to imply that you shouldn't have Cut before that point at all...

Easy fix would be to reposition him somewhere in Silversky. There sure are enough trees the poor dude can't cut in that forest haha.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey I have GBA4iOS which I use to play ROMs and ROM Hacks and the problem with this one is that it says that the 1m sub circuit board is not installed and cuz of that I can't save my game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2017
    Hey, I'm stuck in the cave with the "Hmm..." Script. I ran into that middle spot repeatedly trying to figure out what the puzzle was before I just looked up a tutorial. The script won't come back for me no matter how many times I run around that middle spot.

Years
  • The next update will be out soon. Hopefully middle September. It'll be pretty much a full region game with some post league content and tons of fixed/improved things from RC 1. Most noticeably, hints. I just don't want to rush a release and its not at the level I want it to be. I'll be done with scripting and mapping everything very soon. Most of the time will be towards graphical things, like updating the titlescreen, overworld graphics, and troubleshooting some minor bugs I found, etc.

As for the whole game, I'm aiming for 5 beta releases. Beta 4 should be released before the end of the year since I have everything in place from beta 3. I'll release a pre RC 2 version for my beta testers very soon. Here's some random updated screenshots: The grammar error has been fixed.

I am so hyped. It's mid September right now... The suspense is real haha

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    i decided to wait till until the next update since it's suppose to be out soon. hope it's not delayed.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2015
    Man...this game looks amazing! How come I never heard of it?
    Everything (except for the protagonist) looks and feels fantastic! (but srsly...why does the main char has to look like that? Basically a retex...I could make you some appropiate sprites if you wish... :P

Back