• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Oro Sole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
You're right; I shouldn't get so worked up about a minor detail...

Anyway, moving on from that :)
I don't know why I didn't mention this earlier, but I'm actually really interested in this (I can't say that about most hacks/games). As a programmer myself, I love it when people actually edit the core engine of a game instead of just replacing maps and graphics. To me, that is what makes this hack stand out :D
I'm looking forward to hearing about some more features you're adding, and eventually playing the hack.

Oh, and I'd be willing to help out with a sprite or two when I'm free; over at Game Dev, I sometimes offer scripting (programming) help to projects I like, but obviously that's not going to be useful here. Just let me know if you need a hand ;)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 23, 2014
With 2 very good Johto remakes out, this hack has a lot to live up to. I definitely am looking forward to features that help makes this hack stand out. Good luck!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
HG/SS?
Why I do believe you set the bar to low sir.
Wow. Just wow.
Let's see you develop a better remake. ;)
No hate to you or any other HGSS haters, but back up the criticism.
HGSS isn't even bad. People need to chill. If you wanted to play the exact same game, go play your battery-challenged old cartridge.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Wow. Just wow.
Let's see you develop a better remake. ;)
No hate to you or any other HGSS haters, but back up the criticism.
HGSS isn't even bad. People need to chill. If you wanted to play the exact same game, go play your battery-challenged old cartridge.

Oh I was not talking HG/SS down (In my post at least :P).
I'm just saying that I think this will be better then HG/SS.
In certain ways they were a letdown and we all know it.
I think Oro Sole will be better then them.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
Oh I was not talking HG/SS down (In my post at least :P).
I'm just saying that I think this will be better then HG/SS.
In certain ways they were a letdown and we all know it.
I think Oro Sole will be better then them.
I'd have to wait until I play the next beta of the hack to judge that. I wouldn't consider HGSS letdowns, just not as close to the original as they could be, which, ultimately, is better. The whole concept of remaking is to do it over again. The first OroSole beta I wouldn't say did GSC any remaking justice. It was good, but using the same FR tiles and what not doesn't make it feel fresh at all. A good remake should seem fresh, but still have somewhat of a nostalgia factor, which HGSS does give. The improvements in HGSS make the regions seem more lively, and the newer elements from DP and what not make it feel more current, which a remake is, remaking the old game to be current. Anyways, in short, HGSS is epic underrated. Anyone who doesn't support it and/or isn't a fan should just leave it and not play it, not parade around negative false opinions on it.

Years
The first OroSole beta I wouldn't say did GSC any remaking justice.
Lol, so I didn't imagine it. [/end stupidity attack].

Although I don't mean to sound pushy or rude, seeing HackMew's vast knowledge in general hacking makes me expect a lot from this hack. Sorry =I. But I look forward to playing it- everything looks wicked so far. I love the titlescreen, and features.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
Lol, so I didn't imagine it. [/end stupidity attack].

Although I don't mean to sound pushy or rude, seeing HackMew's vast knowledge in general hacking makes me expect a lot from this hack. Sorry =I. But I look forward to playing it- everything looks wicked so far. I love the titlescreen, and features.
No, don't get me wrong, I expect a lot from the hack, too, but I think HM can go further with the remaking aspect by putting in more custom stuff. If the FR tileset isn't already changed to new tiles, it should be, to make it seem more fresh. I'm a fan of the hack, just a fan GBA remake hack is seperate from the official, so there's no need to discuss anything against HGSS on the thread. That is all. ;)

Zeikku_Sidewinder

Hoothoots = Win.
Years
Okay, now I don't know how far you are into this, but let me say this:

DO NOT SHRINK KANTO!!!!

You see, the problem with ShinyGold and LiquidCrystal, is that they made Kanto smaller than it is in FR/LG just because it was like that in G/S/C. That was one of the original problems with G/S/C, but the whole point of a remake is to correct that (like HG/SS having a Kanto bigger than the previous Generation), but whatever you do, DO NOT MAKE KANTO SMALLER THAN IT IS IN FR/LG!!!! It was done in G/S/C due to space restrictions, but I don't think that will be a problem.

So please, do not shrink the size of the Kanto maps.

EDIT: And if I were you, I would look for a different arrangement of the Route 29 and Route 30 music. Your Route 29 music just sounds bad and isn't exactly faithful to the original, and your Route 30 music has messed up notes at the beginning that clash with each other. If two notes are to make a chord, they should never be within a full step of each other, they should be at least one and a half steps to make a 3rd. Sorry if that doesn't really make sense, but anyone who knows how music is structured should know what I'm talking about.

Liquid crystals kanto, was almost twice as big as the original (as co-owner, I would know), hence the underground, the fact you could explore places that were "blocked" in the original, re-battle leaders, Viridian forest and staying true to the originals at the same time. Shiny Gold was based more on the G/S/C Kanto maps. Get your facts right bro. We're not here to talk about Liquid Crystal or Shiny Gold. Kanto was not bigger in HG/SS. It was the same, other than 3 more events and altered routes it was the same as the original. Just with bad pallettes and crappy textures. The Official remake was bad, it didn't have as much playability. But like I said, We're here to talk about the AMAZING Oro Sole.

HackMew/ Andrea, this hack is remarkable. By far I think it could exceed Heart Gold and Soul silver. The effort you put in, and the care and dedication in this hack truly shows. I'm happy to be spriting new and custom sprites, EXCLUSIVELY for ORO SOLE. Going onto what AztecFire said, kanto should be slightly bigger. But, new events will take away the feel. So think wisely, I'll me happy to provide ideas on MSN any time. I know you're not worried about Kanto yet, because it's not a priority nor have you even got that far yet. But I think your fans are planning ahead. ^^

Regarding your music, this is constructive criticism. It sounds great, and by what I hear of the track sets and instruments. It should work in game exactly how we hear it on the thread. However, I think the problem is, it doesn't sound new. It sounds like it did in G/S/C just in Fire Red style, which is what you're going for in style but judging from previous comments I think people would prefer altered versions of the existing songs, like HG/SS gave us (the music in HG/SS sucked though). But just work on the music when you're free.

The intro sprite looks good, if I say so myself. *Head grows*. You altered it okay too, if the face you altered bothers people, tell them to play another remake! It's your hack, by all means take feedback, but keep true to yourself. Your judgement matters the most! The Title Screen looks nice, couldn't have done it better myself! Graphics look professional all round. Looks like an official remake. I can't wait to see screens of the RTC D/N. I'll start working on some stuff for you tomorrow by the way. Keep the tiles as-is. FR Tiles look decent and professional in my opinion. Hence why next release of Liquid crystal will have some Fire Red Tiles re-imported, not completely though. I think it looks more presentable the way you're doing it. So keep it up. FR style is the way to go, otherwise this turns into, Shiny Gold and Liquid Crystal. As a Friend, Graphics Artist and fellow Re-maker; My advice is, to use Fire Red styled things. It also adds originality to your hack by making it seem official.
Good Luck! Amico mio! (I haven't spoken Italian in years) xD

P.S. If you don't win Hack of the year, Week, Month, Decade, Century or Millenium, I'll shoot myself in the leg.

~Zeikku

Last edited:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
2wcnqjm.png

Eh, anyways, seems like a good hack idea so far. All music samples are fine to me, the features are a plus, and I'm not a big fan of HG/SS, my favourite series were always the GBA ones, so it's a thumbs up from me.

Last edited:

BrokenRoses

Rom Hacker & PSP Hacker GOD!!!
Years
Im good at almost everything about rom hacking and if you need any help let me know, mostly because im a gold/silver fan XD
I know the story well along w/ the maps

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2010
All the best with it dude,im doing a hack by myself and im having a very difficult time with it.But u seem to have everything looking good.If u need any help with spriting just ask.I used to aid ppl with sprites for their characters in MUGEN till i got bored of mugen and stopped.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Hmmm, I'm sure that the abundant amount of ASM hackers will definitly allow you to do all those in your features list :)

and everyone expects awesomeness from THE HACKMEW!!!

lol, to be honest the title sounds...well...lame. But your name is what in the end brought me to take a look at this, anyways, that is a LONG thread you have there, especially for a remake, and nice to see screenies so early, it's evident that u have been working in secret :P

I wish you luck :)

Years
Hey HM anything new?
It seems that it doesn't have enough attention :/
You should move it to progressing hacks :)

He can't move it to Progressing Hacks as it doesn't have screen-shots of four or more in-game maps. So yeah.

But it's still awesome, HackMew. It's a shame I don't really like G/S /shot, but those features are enough for me to forget. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back