• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Shadow of the Wastes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
The game's not dead - just the thread. And when I'm the last to post, my updates automerge. :(
SotW_logo.jpg

http://www.shadowofthewastes.webs.com
By Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

Origin of the Game/etc.

I thought of the region of Alacci before I knew I would ever get the chance to make a real, working Pokémon game. Since then, my sister and I have roleplayed the region, and with some help from her, I've built up an extensive backstory.

The first way I heard of to make that region - and many of its special quirks - a reality was ROM hacking... and even at that, I didn't post here right away. But I realized something - just this once, I feel like I can finish a project. So I posted a thread in the scrapbox.

Then, after a little more time, I looked into RMXP. That's what I'll be using now, with the Pokémon Essentials starter kit. BUT! Don't leave yet! One of the things I find the most awesome about switching over is the art quality that is possible! That means I'm doing a huge graphical overhaul... which will take time, I will warn you, but my new graphics... well... they speak for themselves...

17Glaceon.jpg

ScreenieTeaser4.jpg

Note that not all of that is final, and some of the changes are already made.

What is it?

First and foremost, this is an exploration game; many events, if all works out as planned, will be dependant on other events, yet you will not be forced into doing what is required. The player will be able to access most towns before aquiring a single "badge".

Also, for the sake of logic as well as for the spirit of Alacci, some things will work differently. This includes the Gym system, the levels of Pokémon, and the mapping of routes, at the very least.

Also, I intend on making all current Pokémon available, as well as a few of my own. One reason I switched to RMXP was the ability to include more Pokémon alongside the official ones (because I hate replacing or leaving out Pokémon).

Alacci
the inspiration behind the game

Here, there is a quick briefing on the region that actually started the whole project.

Spoiler:

Competition
May the battle commence!

Read on to learn about competition, Gyms, and the Pokémon League in Alacci.

Spoiler:

Training
Young trainer, there are tough challenges ahead...

Alacci is a harsh region! Knowing this, special rules and considerations were made for those from the region who aspire to become trainers.

Spoiler:

Teams and Plot stuff
Did you say... is it... the STORY?

Well, not all the story. Here, I'll reveal the Legend of Alacci; thus revealing the new Legendaries to a certain degree. Also, I'll talk about Team Adauchi... a mysterious Team whose goal is revenge...

The Legend
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Team Adauchi
Spoiler:

The Main Character
If you've got to be somebody, be somebody special...

Conrad.png
Michiko.png

(These are old sprites, from the hack. I'll be redoing them, no worries.)

You're 18 years old, and you just moved to Forest Town with your pet Eevee. Your folks were Dragon trainers in Blackthorn, but that structured life was just not your style. Now you're on your own, in a big place your parents gave you for your birthday.

You have a strange dream the night after your move, about a woman in a lab coat, who talks about dark things, and seems to think she's seeing you in a vision. You wake up in bed in a strange room... until you get up, and remember where you are. On your first day in a new place, what will you do? It's really up to you. Exploring and stumbling onto strange happenings, can you find out what's going on in Alacci before it's too late? And when the pressure is on, will you rise to your destiny? Or fall in utter defeat...?

Progress?
is good. Except sometimes. I think.

This is where I say what I'm up to now, and, if I have an estimate as to how close I am to a goal of mine, I will put that here as well.

Spoiler:

Screenies!
Because seeing is believing.

It's quiet, but people who read the thread seem to like the screenies.
These screenies are a little old, because I've been too lazy to revamp this post for a while,
but they will give you some idea of what to expect. Not all graphics are final.

Spoiler:

Team
-sort of-

Me: almost everything

Illuminknigt: some of the music

At the moment, I had to restart my team - because, of course, this is a game now. That said, I hope to do most of this myself, which will slow production but ensure the game develops the way I want it to.

I will accept other team members, though, under certain conditions:
Spoiler:

If possible, some help with creating surf water that poisons your surfer would be appreciated. If not... Well, I got the battle part of the poison mist working, so maybe I'll be able to get that, too.

Support
Support is help, too!

So if you want to support me, here are some userbars and banners.
I don't know how to put in a working codebox, so you'll have to replace ( ) parenthesis with the square brackets to get it to work.

By me:

SotW_userbar2-1.gif

Spoiler:

SotW_userbar1-1.gif

Spoiler:

by Poke:

3289284907_8aa24fb55e_o.jpg

Spoiler:

In case you didn't know, previewing your signature will mess up any image links you have, and you will need to redo them if you redo your signature.

Last edited:
Years
Those are some good sprites. I suggest you jpeg them though, or they will end up in another fan game. I know they wont look as pretty, but most likely they wont be stolen either.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
^^ Let 'em try it. They won't have the rest of the Pokémon, and they won't have the shinies of those, so it'll just look silly. If I introduce more, I'll jpeg 'em, though, how 'bout that?

I might not even post them here, though, might just go with screenshots from now on... when I get some, of course. I intend on not doing that until more of the graphics are updated.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I really like your ideas. And those sprites are great. I think you made the right choice in switching it to a game and not a hack.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Decided to reply after all since the thread is so young...

Honestly, it is nice to hear that you think I made the right decision. I thought so, too... it wasn't just a whim of mine where I thought "hey, how about I do this instead?" I mean, yes, I thought that... but, then I thought it through before making my decision.

Also... welcome back, WillBill? XD I hope to get you something you can play, definitely, but with all the graphical work I have to do, I'm not sure how long it will take, exactly... XD

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Seems like an interesting concept. Nice to see a thread in the Plots section so well thought out, and well structured. I wish you luck on this project, and if you need any advice or anything, you just have to ask.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Thank you. I want to stay right here until I feel my game is ready to move, the same way I was going to when I was going to make it a hack. It keeps pressure down, and allows me to release a quality product when I am ready.

^o^ By the way, everybody, I got the Light type in the game! And working! Now all I have to do is make my Light Pokémon and Light moves. (I already fixed the existing moves I felt should be Light type.) I'm so happy! If this was still a hack, I could never have done that on my own!

6(^o^)9 *does happy dance*

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
Years
I'm afraid I have no idea how to play an RMXP or get player, so I may not see this in its completed form.
At any rate, I can't really keep tabs on this anyway. I'm starting work on music in my hack and I'll soon move to mapping. Let me know when a beta is out. Well, and where to get something to play it, too.....

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
Years
I'm afraid I have no idea how to play an RMXP or get player, so I may not see this in its completed form.
At any rate, I can't really keep tabs on this anyway. I'm starting work on music in my hack and I'll soon move to mapping. Let me know when a beta is out. Well, and where to get something to play it, too.....

It's a .exe file I think.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Ummm... Yes you do need something... You need the RTP (Run Time Package), or else no games, or even the program itself, will work.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
Yuoman it looks like you don't know how the rtp works... It's just a pack with the basic rmxp resources. Essentials is totally independant of the rtp. All you need is a dll called rgss102e.dll that normally comes in the demo folder so that anyone can play a rmxp game.

EDIT: Yes, it's needed to run the rmxp itself though.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Busy, busy, busy...
Busy, busy, busy...

Looks like none of the new comments are really for me... :P

If you want to know what I'm up to right now, I am currently drawing some of the new "fakemon"... :D

*goes back to working*

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
Years
Well, we're all busy here. But I'd like to see some fakemon of yours. I may recruit you to help with some.
*goes back to Anvil Studio window*

Years
Busy, busy, busy...
Busy, busy, busy...

Looks like none of the new comments are really for me... :P

If you want to know what I'm up to right now, I am currently drawing some of the new "fakemon"... :D

*goes back to working*

Sorry we kinda hijacked your thread there for a moment. I like the work that you have done with this. Everything seems very well thought out. With some screen shots this would be ready for the Showcase I am pretty sure. How is new work coming along?

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Aww, thank you... o^-^o

Mmmnn... I was getting a little annoyed with some of the graphics...
I can say, however, that I have the heroine's backsprite all done and working.

My frustration was chiefly with some graphics for the intro, which, if I can get it working right, I think will be really cool... but I need a break from that, because it wasn't working well. XP

I was working on more of the graphics in the tileset instead. XP

You know that even if I get those screenies (I could, you know, from a playtest, but I want the graphics to be more ... uniform ... before I do) that I might not rush for the Showcase. I don't know, we'll see. I suppose if I get mobbed by people who want this in the Showcase, or think it should be or something, that I'd have to indulge them. XD

Years
Yo! So I heard you have some screenies here! I want to see them! Btw, your Bulbasaur and Eevee sprite things are AMAZING! Again good luck

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Hehe...
Anyways, yes! Screenies for all! Only three, but they were only meant as teasers of the as-of-yet unfinished graphics, as well as what I did with the TV...

Your room, which is spacious and comfy... (yes, the OWs I still need to do, I am dreading it... >.<)

ScreenieTeaser1.jpg

And, you now have control over your TVs...

ScreenieTeaser2.jpg

ScreenieTeaser3.jpg

I didn't think it necessary to show you, but you can also turn the TV off again. If anybody really wants to see it, I can get screenies of it. The computer also lights up when you turn it on, but since I haven't fixed the graphics for the computer yet, I also didn't show that.

And if somebody wants a teaser of what you can do with the fridge, you need only ask... :D
...But no, it doesn't open, and at the moment I don't plan on trying to implement that. ^_~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back