• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Shadow of the Wastes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluminknight

Crunch! Add it to the heap!
Years
Ahh I love Mystery Dungeon 2 :) Such a good series. The story is really amazing.

And its fine really, I've tried making sprites before and it isn't easy. That was always the hard part for game making for me, was animating sprites. Like it was hard enough drawing it the first time lol. Good luck though, you've got plenty of time. As long as the final result is impressive, I'm sure everyone can wait.

So my gym theme is essentially done, I'm not entirely sure if its up to snuff, so tell me what you think. If certain instruments are too loud in any of my pieces or something doesn't quite fit let me know. I just wanted to see in video form if the fangame changes the sound quality a bit or if there any adjustments I have to make. :)

So check your email whenever you get the chance and tell me what you think. Whew, that one was not easy lol. Took me a while to make it something I was happy with.

PS: I assume the answer is obvious, but I just wanted to throw it out there: What is your feelings on using music that I wrote for another soundtrack to well anything (another game, etc) in Shadow of the Wastes or vice versa (me using pieces of the soundtrack in other games/projects/etc). I'm assuming you don't want a few songs of the soundtrack appearing elsewhere, but just asking it just in case. I haven't done this yet if you're wondering, it just occurred to me that it never hurts to ask what you think of pieces of the soundtrack being used from other sources (all written by me) or in other sources. ;)

Last edited:

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
I liked the story of MD1 better, as it was easier to believe you actually were the Pokémon, but MD2 is very fun also, and I like Sky the best out of them. Also because of the improvements to how some things work, and other added things, I'd have problems going back to MD1 anyway. But I did like the fact that they left who you are mysterious enough that you could believe it was really you, in a sense - in MD2 they disillusion you of that notion. (/spam) (shame on me, putting spam in my own thread...)

Anyway, I won't get in trouble I think because I obviously also have something relevant to say; but I don't want anybody coming in here thinking: "Ooo, Mystery Dungeon discussion" and spamming (though I'd love to make a SotW MD game - but can't, unfortunately).

I may be able to make some video for you only, and e-mail it to you if that intrests you and a half-complete sprite wouldn't drive you nuts. After all, you're kind of on the team, so that's different from letting everybody else see it. Unfortunately, though you couldn't hear the music because... I'm not really sure if the version I have will do that, and... trying to record the music without a mic or anything could prove fairly difficult. So I'll also explain about how the music works out (I still have some things I would like to send you private video or screenshots of, like the two Mini Gyms that are currently mapped). Basically, when I playtest, the music seems to play just how it should most of the time, though sometimes it's a little quiet - at least on the songs I've written. Sometimes something glitches and only the percussion plays, and then sometimes even that stops playing after a while, but I'm not sure what causes that. If you go somewhere where the music changes, the new music will turn on, and if you go in and out of the door enough, the music that was glitching will start playing properly. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the music itself, though there's no way I can know that. It may be the fact that I'm playtesting, and not playing a compiled game - and it may not be that either.

As for using music different places - well, I'd really prefer not for the most part - that is, things that aren't very game specific might be okay, like that gym theme for example, but if the music gets shared around too much it won't be unique any more, and people will get tired of hearing it. That's one of my big concerns on the issue. As for using stuff from other games, even if you wrote it, I couldn't use that peice without not only your consent, but the consent of the person in charge of the other game, you understand? I'd really prefer to have mostly-original music, however - remembering that I'm trying not to be a follower (and even if others have had similar ideas, I never knew about it so I wouldn't think I'm being a follower).

The gym theme was pretty good for what it is. Especially since you said it was hard. Makes me a little hesitant to ask for a more dramatic version for the main gyms. But I will tell you to feel free to play not only with the instruments, but with things like the rhythm, because as long as it still has a similar melody and such, I'm fine. It might help you if I send you screens or video of the two Mini-Gyms I have, so I'll try to get to that - I myself adore Valley Mini-Gym, whose leader is Zeph, a bird trainer. But I want to surprise people with that one because I like it so much.

Now, the Mini-Gyms aren't so big on puzzles, actually - Forest Mini-Gym has a sort of tree-maze, which is easy if you know where you can step behind the trees, or even just by trial and error, and Valley Mini-Gym is extremely straight forward. (Because to be honest, the Mini-Gyms are just there as a way for local Trainers to earn the right to get into Fight City, remember.) They are, however, testing the Trainer in different ways if you think of them in a real-life scenario - Forest MG tests how well the Trainer can find their way through the forest, and Valley MG tests how well they can handle - well, Valley MG is a surprise, no? I haven't done all of them, so I don't know if or when puzzles will come into it, but there probably will be some kind of trick to some of them.

The thing is... it's the Great Gyms that are supposed to be big on puzzles - I only hope I'm up to the task of making them!

Iluminknight

Years
Lol I love the pokemon mystery dungeon series so much I'm really motivated to make a long youtube video going over all my thoughts on the 2 main games :) (I'll keep this short lol because off-topic discussion) As much as I love the story in the first one, I thought the whole thing around Gengar got really obvious after you cleared your name, so I thought it was a shame they saved that for the end, wasn't too shocking :P. However I think you're right, the story in the 1st one is really great, my main problems with it mainly come from the gameplay which I think they fixed for the 2nd one. Like in the 1st one, 99 floors is a little excessive dont you think haha?
---- ^ Warning off-topic ^

Ah thanks, I'd love to see it, and half-finished anything doesn't really bother me at all. I've never made a fangame, but from what I can tell it seems really though ;). I'm glad the music works out for the most part.

I figured you'd say exactly that, but I just felt the need to check in case you said otherwise. Obviously if I used "ex: the minigym theme in another game" I wouldn't go so far as to use it in a ton of games, just most likely only *1* other game. So people hearing the tune too much I doubt would be an issue at all, and its only natural that I get consent from both parties. I perfectly understand where you're coming from and I expected as much so its fine. I just wrote this pretty snazzy desert theme for another fangame before I remixed the gym piece and I wanted to reuse it or perhaps remix it for this game. :) Iknow you want an all original soundtrack, so I'll just write a new one then, no biggy.

I really like the idea of minigyms though and can't wait to hear more. It's really a great idea. So umm keep me posted and I'll check back in a few days.

So regarding the gym theme, critiques? Don't like the percussion? Percussion too quiet? Instrument choice is poor? Some parts too loud? Doesn't sound nice? Finding the midi is usually the hard part and finding what direction I want to go with the song to take it from 8bit to like 24bit stuff is the really only challenging part. The rest is easy, so I'm perfectly willing to change any parts of it or totally alter it if need be. Don't worry about me making a more dramatic version, I'd love too, and now that I have the midi and all the settings right I can do that. It wouldn't hurt to see a screenshot of a minigym so I could have it fit the area better though :)

PS: At some point I plan on getting some incredibly fancy full orchestra song music program thing (for lack of a better term) that would write music such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMpd9bUJ0wo (although I'm not that good haha but like similar sounding). :D

PSS: I love that song :3

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
O.O ...
If you made anything even remotely like that for my game, that would be the epic OWNzors, okay? Of course, then you might have to redo some of what you've already done to keep the quality the same throughout the game... XD

Um. Anyway. So, the easiest thing for me to do right now is to send you mapshots of the two MGs and a screenshot or two of what it looks like when you're playing. Because at the moment I'm just a wee bit preoccupied... XD So video would take too much time. But I'll work on that and e-mail it hopefully.

As for what criticisms I have for the gym remix? Well, uh... It's actually great as a plain old remix, and I'd use it as-is in the regular gyms of, say, Jhoto should I ever decide to add that to the game. It's just... somehow not quite the feeling I wanted for the MGs. Like I said, I'll send the pics. You can compose a new song if you have to, but I'd actually prefer something that's similar to the gym theme - You know how they changed the feel of the Pokécenter song from day to night? They changed things like the rhythm to give a different feel.

I guess I should appologise if I'm being too picky - I never can tell when I am. I mean, that was pretty good, and if I was, say, doing a crystal remake or something, it would have probably been what I was looking for... so probably I wasn't specific enough about what I was looking for.

Iluminknight

Years
99 Floors *RAGE FIT*
----
I absolutely love the soundtrack in the 2nd game, and I thought the first one had some really good songs and some REALLY REALLY bad ones. The first one to me is incredibly mixed, I love hate it haha. As much as I'd love to write music like the stuff in PMD2, I just can't quite do it right yet. >.>

I sort of get what you're saying and I emailed you. I would have used the Ruby and Sapphire gym theme except the midis I found for it were well, really really bad and not accurate lol. The trick is finding a midi that gets the notes right. So umm, I'm going to try and make something a little less "over-done" for the minigyms. That might take a while, but I'm pretty sure I get what you want, even though its hard to explain it.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
@Illuminknight: Hehe, I wasn't referring to MD when I said it would be epic if you could write music "even remotely like that", you know... ^^ I was referring to that song you linked to (which was epic *shifty eyes*).

@Maruno: I couldn't figure out what you were talking about because I didn't have patience enough to wait on that video getting to the point - and since I could barely understand what they were saying (I couldn't hear it very well, but didn't want to turn the volume up and blast my ears)... that didn't help my patience. So I'll just assume that post was just for laughs and has little actual relevance. ^^v

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2011
Walkabouts?

I actually really like the letting Eeveelutions walk around with you part. I am a massive fan. Like, massive. But, like, how did you manage that? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie when comes to things like that.
--------------------------
Signiture, eh?
I never have 'em.
Wait a sec.
Damn.

Dan Lewis
Creator of 'Pokemon SPIRIT.'

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Hehe. I guess I'm an okay event-maker, even if I'm a not-so-great scripter. Waah, wait! No self depreciation on this thread, I forgot!

Um, seriously, though, I used events to do it, and it doesn't work as well as I would like. It doesn't know to make it stop following if it faints, or even if you put it in the PC, unfortunately. But if Pokémon can use HMs when they're fainted, I guess they could follow you, too; and if you're silly enough not to call back your Pokémon before putting it into the PC, then any problems that result are your own fault, right? o.O *imagines a Trainer keeping their Pokémon out when putting them in the PC and being followed by a ghostly digital version of their Pokémon* o.O

...la la la... XD

For the record, though, I'm doing okay about working - I'm not in a big "OMG must work" phase, but I do things from time to time. Especially when I hear things here. ^^ My biggest problem right now is I more or less have the computer graphics version of writer's block, if that makes any sense... Well, I guess that's not quite it, but I'm having trouble finding any enthusiasm for graphics right now. And it's a bit discouraging, because I know I have to do them...

I'm tinkering with a probable mining thing, too, but I'm not exactly sure just how it's going to work. And I'm making random maps (which aren't entirely random, though that's how I'm feeling when I make them recently... XD).

EDIT: If nobody posts here and the thread dies, that doesn't mean the project is dead. It just means it's going slowly and nobody apparently cared enough to post for over a month. DX

Last edited:

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Because I'm totally going to reveal the whole story, of course... (/sarcasm)

Sorry for that. XD But if I don't retain some freedom of movement with the story, I won't be able to keep interested.

And on that note, I think I may need someone else to do the graphics for me if I want to get anywhere on this game, because I'm getting highly discouraged with them myself. If anyone is interested, send me some samples of your work. I want them sized for RPG Maker, meaning no resized Pokémon sprites - they're too pixelly. Keep in mind that there's a lot of graphics that need revamped. I'll take any specialized artists - tiles, overworld, or battle front and back, but I want all the graphics to match each other.

My main strength in RPG Maker, I've found, is eventing, and I'm passable at mapping, as far as I know. I was trying to learn some RGSS, but was having trouble applying what I was learning to the starter kit, and got frustrated, and doing graphics is discouraging me.

Any help is welcome - Yes, I fully intended on seeing this through since the beginning, but with so little interest and feedback, I'm starting to wonder if I should go back to doing things that won't matter so much if I can't pull through - and not tell anybody about them until I'm done.

I'm not saying I'm quitting, but I'm finding less and less reason to stop by PC, and when I stop in, there's not really much to see. What I'm saying is that this project might go on the back burner - indefinitely - unless I can get some help pulling it out of this rut.

Thanks for your time. :)

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Because I'm totally going to reveal the whole story, of course... (/sarcasm)

Sorry for that. XD But if I don't retain some freedom of movement with the story, I won't be able to keep interested.

And on that note, I think I may need someone else to do the graphics for me if I want to get anywhere on this game, because I'm getting highly discouraged with them myself. If anyone is interested, send me some samples of your work. I want them sized for RPG Maker, meaning no resized Pokémon sprites - they're too pixelly. Keep in mind that there's a lot of graphics that need revamped. I'll take any specialized artists - tiles, overworld, or battle front and back, but I want all the graphics to match each other.

My main strength in RPG Maker, I've found, is eventing, and I'm passable at mapping, as far as I know. I was trying to learn some RGSS, but was having trouble applying what I was learning to the starter kit, and got frustrated, and doing graphics is discouraging me.

Any help is welcome - Yes, I fully intended on seeing this through since the beginning, but with so little interest and feedback, I'm starting to wonder if I should go back to doing things that won't matter so much if I can't pull through - and not tell anybody about them until I'm done.

I'm not saying I'm quitting, but I'm finding less and less reason to stop by PC, and when I stop in, there's not really much to see. What I'm saying is that this project might go on the back burner - indefinitely - unless I can get some help pulling it out of this rut.

Thanks for your time. :)

Wow you type so much its like reading short stories...

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
^^ I just wish I could get a scripter interested! I've tried learning a bit, but I haven't been having much luck. And there are a couple scripts that this game literally needs before it can be finished - poison water (poisons your surfer when you surf on it) and poison mist (poisons non-steel, non-poison Pokémon when sent into battle). Without those, the Wastes and Poison Mountain won't give the right feel and it will totally spoil the atmosphere. Not to mention I'd like to get DP moves and abilities (and used Defog to clear the poison mist >.>).

But my math abilities are... slow. I was stronger at geometry than algebra - equations aren't much more than long strings of numbers to me. I can solve them, but they seem somehow empty. *shrug*

But the nice comments are encouraging. Maybe I'll... (*dread*) Maybe I'll try to work on that OW again. DX

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
Years
lol. I feel your pain. I flat-out suck at geometry, and did okay with algebra, but scripting just seems like a whole different matter, although that may just be because I'm not too educated on the matter.

However, if it needs so much scripting, then based off your ideas I'd say the time and work will likely pay off if you ever when you finish the game. :P

Years
Still looking good Kaylee. I love it and I love the edits you have done to the original post because it makes me so much more excited for this game! (:

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Made it out of the really bad block I had with the OW, but work on the OW is still kind of slow, thus it is not finished.

However, not having to deal with the idea that I might never get it right has cheered me up, so I might work on the game (darn! I lost The Game!) a bit more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back