• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon: Ultimate Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    i can beta test. i like this hack, and helped find tile errors, and i might find more when actually playing the game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    You're hired Siper.

I'm no longer recruiting closed-beta testers. I have three now and the rest of the bugs can be found in open-beta (which isn't far off now anyway).

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    How long it is is debatable. It depends how long it takes you to finish the side-quests (one can take a long time, and is a puzzly one. Yes, puzzly :p), and it depends whether or not you decide to train to beat the training gym leader. You will want at least a team of four, second evolution + Pokémon with a type advantage. It's going to seem really hard in the beta, and I'll explain why at the end of this post.

It also depends on whether or not you interact with everything. All books, etc.

Now, here is the the deal with gym leaders and the elite four. They are a lot more difficult, and will be very hard around the start of the game, even though you can get to some early on. This is because they are there optionally, and for people who want a really good challenge, with good rewards.

They are optional because the game is a lot less focused on gym leaders and the elite four, as they are now basically one big side-quest, as none are required to advance the plot.

The elite four will require all 16 badges from Johto and Kanto.

tjwilliams24

Gone.
    Years
  • Thank you for letting me beta test! Now, I'm going to give a very detailed critique.

1. I love the storyline. The main thing I really like about it is how your mother gets kidnapped. It really strays away from the usual "bad team captures legendary, please stop them." sort of idea.

2. I really like your trainer re-battle idea. Especially how you can re-battle them as much as you want. Re-battling trainers is much better then just battling wild pokemon.

3. Your dynamic ideas are just great. The dynamic gym battle idea really makes sure fighting a gym leader will always be a challenge, and it makes it so a player won't just raise there pokemon 10 levels higher then the gym leaders and win right away.

4. I love side-quests and I feel your going to execute these side quests very nicely. Side-quests really make the game more enjoyable and the playing time longer.

5. I really like how your setting up the regions. Especially how Kanto pokemon will be in Johto, and vise versa. And I'm also a huge fan of populating towns more and putting in anime towns/cities that weren't in the games.

6. I absolutely love the idea of unique photos/televisions/bookshelves. Their very mysterious and I only have one question. Will they be placed around the region randomly?

7. I like how you set up the main character. I like how he is a new character and can do things on his own, like running without running shoes.

This hack has great potential. I believe your going to be a great hacker. Can't wait to test it out! Good luck!

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    @ tjwilliams

Thanks for the good feedback, you can criticize too you know it can't be ALL good :p

Re-battling trainers will only be slightly faster than training on wild Pokémon in vanilla anyway, as I have lowered Pokémon base XP to make up for the size of the game, and just as general balance.

The side-quests are a nice distraction with good rewards, and can reveal some interesting story-lines. Some will be available once you can get to the quest giver, and some will unlock after getting so far into the main plot (EG through a pager message).

Bookshelves and pictures definitely won't be random around the world. I haven't decided on teles yet, but for now they are the same as bookshelves and pictures.

Yeah. Running Shoes is just one of those things that Nintendo did to make every new game as the same as possible as the last ¬¬

tjwilliams24

Gone.
    Years
  • That's the thing though, I don't have much to criticize! The only thing I could suggest would be to turn around the pikachu sprite in the professors lab and put a few less stones in Stone Town. They just seem to overtake the town =]

But, besides that, the screenshots do really look good. The side quest looks like it was incorporated very well, and I love that you can add charmander to your team! Also, the book script is very nice. Oh, and about the re-battling trainers, I just thing re-battling trainers is more exciting then battling wild pokemon. On a side-note, what's that nidoqueen doing in that screenshot? Looks interesting!

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    Pikachu walks around on the table, he just happened to be looking up at the time that picture was taken :p

You're not the first to say that about Stone Town. I'll see how people feel after the first beta.

Nidoqueen? Maybe you mean Lapras in the lake? :p

tjwilliams24

Gone.
    Years
  • Oh, alright I understand about the pikachu walking on the table. And yes, I mean the lapras, it just sort of looked like a nidoqueen from the top of its head. Just wondering, put once your able to surf, would you be able to get the lapras?

Years
  • FYI, Silver hates Team Rocket because Giovanni, his father, abandoned him because he wanted to train to regain his leadership of Team Rocket. (in HGSS, the Celebi event takes you back in time to the route beside Viridian, you see Silver and Giovanni arguing, and Giovanni runs off towards Johto). So that's why Silver hates them- also, he says it in Azalea Town after beating him, but claims it is because they're weak.
    Anyway, I actually really like the look of this. The features are great- I especially like the idea of dynamic battles, it's much more realistic (I mean, obviously there'll be Pokemon of different strengths in an area, rather than just Pokemon all around the same level). I also like that it includes Kanto and Johto, but isn't a GSC remake. Kanto and Johto are great regions, but they could use a new story

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    Yeah. That's pretty much why it's there :p

I've not decided yet how it got there story-wise though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    This does look like an amazing hack. I'll be keeping an eye on this hack. Dynamic battling looks like a great feature.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

Bobman, I may do a poll but what would you suggest to be more suitable?

Hackofdarkness, there are no new tiles as of yet, and I won't be prioritising them for quite a while. I can't insert tiles myself, and I won't need to until I start doing Johto (which will be about a third into the game).

Disrupter, in answer to your PM. You do start in Pallet, which now has new residents. But the story doesn't send you to towns in the same order,and it's a lot more slack with restrictions. So you will usually unlock around 3 towns at a time, rather than 1 at a time, but it will be made clear where you need to go next. I may even make a "Journal" item, which when used tells you where you last got told to go.

So far the order is Pallet > Viridian > Vermilion + Sable + Stone Town + Cerulean.

Then it will probably be Mt.Moon (which will be different like everywhere else), Pewter, Viridian Forest (which willl have a lot more of a story behind it.

tjwilliams24

Gone.
    Years
  • Disrupter, I am as well beta testing for Nikolai, and I'm not sure what he specifically means, but on the first page, he said he has a deadline of next friday for the beta.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    Friday is open beta. Your betas will be before then, to make sure it is ready for public release.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • Wow, some of the features here are quite impressive. There appear to be a lot of changes, and I look forward to the Beta to see them in action. I like the fact that you will be changing TMs, and changing some Pokemon's type is an interesting feature as well. Rattata gets raped by Mega Punch now lol.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back