• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Aqua Blue (Pokedeaths, loot system, and more) Demo out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
  • New graphics may help a lot - it seems you have a knack judging from what you've already released. And you're right, it's a bit harsh. I wasn't in the mood when I changed it, it honestly should be a 6 at least. :)

Its just a lot of work, lol. Especially for one person. Graphics, scripting, bleh bleh bleh. I might just do a Fire Read feature patch and apply all of these while leaving the game the same. Just a lot for one person. While I have the ability to add graphics, just didn't want to spend too much time on it. I have carpal tunnel bad and Amap isn't friendly towards that when making blocks.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Its just a lot of work, lol. Especially for one person. Graphics, scripting, bleh bleh bleh. I might just do a Fire Read feature patch and apply all of these while leaving the game the same. Just a lot for one person. While I have the ability to add graphics, just didn't want to spend too much time on it. I have carpal tunnel bad and Amap isn't friendly towards that when making blocks.
    I used to neglect planning in my earlier days of hacking, and it's what kept my ROM hacks from being their best. If you don't already or never have before, keep a journal where you can put ideas down for your hack! Let everything freely flow, don't worry about the order of your notes.

In my journal I leave a sizable margin at the bottom and number all of my snippets, and use hyperlinks (yes, the old fashioned ones, written like citations) with that margin to link related things together easily; I also keep an appendix. Bela does this for Pokémon Rose, and I'm sure other good hackers do too.

If that's something you already do, I don't know of much more I can suggest to help unfortunately. I can't focus at all because of my ADD and have yet to medicate it, so I know how difficult hacking can be with how much work there is to do, but there's always solutions for things if you look. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours – not just with Aqua Blue but with other ROM hacks and even other hobbies. I also want you to know I didn't delete your vote in the Hack of the Month as anything against the hack itself, but rather because of the new format and how it's not quite picking up yet in popularity. I want either for it to settle in or for the old format to return before I make my call, meaning I won't be participating this month, alright? Anyway, keep up the good work :)

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • I used to neglect planning in my earlier days of hacking, and it's what kept my ROM hacks from being their best. If you don't already or never have before, keep a journal where you can put ideas down for your hack! Let everything freely flow, don't worry about the order of your notes.

In my journal I leave a sizable margin at the bottom and number all of my snippets, and use hyperlinks (yes, the old fashioned ones, written like citations) with that margin to link related things together easily; I also keep an appendix. Bela does this for Pokémon Rose, and I'm sure other good hackers do too.

If that's something you already do, I don't know of much more I can suggest to help unfortunately. I can't focus at all because of my ADD and have yet to medicate it, so I know how difficult hacking can be with how much work there is to do, but there's always solutions for things if you look. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours – not just with Aqua Blue but with other ROM hacks and even other hobbies. I also want you to know I didn't delete your vote in the Hack of the Month as anything against the hack itself, but rather because of the new format and how it's not quite picking up yet in popularity. I want either for it to settle in or for the old format to return before I make my call, meaning I won't be participating this month, alright? Anyway, keep up the good work :)

I believe I have linked on the front page the plans for the game. As far as story, when you acquire things, what things to find etc. I think I may just join a group though. I tend to work best in those situations anyways. I'm not worried about it not being in the hack of the month, not doing it for popularity really, I just think I'm getting burnt out.

Years
  • Oi, I read the first post and fell in love. I honestly hate FAKEMON to the extreme, BUT using missingNo. And appeareon I find amusing. I'm very very interested in this game. Especially the loot and death system. It's like Diablo 3 hardcore mode but with the 1/5 instead of instant game over. Crafting system is something I will enjoy, and the ability to chose if you wish to join team rocket is something I haven't seen before. Usually it's just a you're a rocket game, not an actual choice. I can't wait to start playing. If there's any way I can help you, let me know. This is my idea of a great time!!

Years
  • Well I finished the demo and it's good so far, besides the bugs I pmd you about. Forgot to also tell you, when you pick your starter, if you press B to cancel from a grass or fire pokemon order, you get sent to the water list instead of what you were in before you backed out. So far no pokemon have dropped anything, and I've beat Erika with charmander. Sign post in grungy city says what the fat kid says in celadon (I can't believe someone actually lives in grungy city) or something like that. Shared script or w.e. can't wait to play more

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Woah!
    Woah, Woah, Woah!
    ... Woah!
    POKELOOT?! THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR SO LONG!
    Oh my god, i didn't ever saw this feature in a ROM Hack, even when the Alpha is short (As they suppose to be), after reading that i've decided to play.
    I just didn't really liked that much the Legendary Battles and the new Eeeveevolution's name (Its design looks beast tho, i loved it).
    I'll be looking forward this no doubts, i'll start the Alpha now <3

The problem with the current death mechanic is that it's practically a dice roll if the Pokemon will live or not. Sure, the fainting may be the player's fault, but death is placed into the game's hands.

If you look at it in a different way, the actual system puts the death in player's hands anyways.
    If a Pokemon dies, it's because you certainly commited a fault whether it could be by choosing a wrong attack or because you didn't used a potion in the exact moment, or because you went to a fight which you shouldn't supposed to do yet.
    After that, it's a certainly matter of luck, whether the game itself decides to punish you for your fault or not.
    But in general, if it dies, it would be because the player commited a fault.

EDIT1:
    I've found my first bug, besides of trying to heal without getting a Pokemon xD
    If you go to the Bag to the "Key Items" section, and then go back pressing the B button, the music mutes, the sound effects are still there tho.

EDIT2:
    Since the Alpha was appearently short i've explored a bit and found that wink to Keiji Inafune, good job there, i'm not that fan of Megaman, but that was cool xD

EDIT3:
    Ha! Just killed a Rattata and a Spearow and i've got a Ruined Core! <3

EDIT4:
    While searching for Hidden Items i've found 0 Spoleon Berries in this Rock, at the Nola Cavern's Entrance..
    It's nice because i've got the Berry Pouch, but shouldn't you put at least 2 of them?
    (2 if you plant to put some breedable berries spots through this Kanto Region)
    Btw, 5 Ruined Cores so far <3

EDIT5:
    10 Ruined Cores and 5 Common Cores so far <3 ... 0 Pokeballs tho, Oak didn't gave me anything else than 1 Potion with the Starter, so i can't catch Pokemons and i can't surpass the poison of Gringey City ;_; ...

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • Woah!
    Woah, Woah, Woah!
    ... Woah!
    POKELOOT?! THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR SO LONG!
    Oh my god, i didn't ever saw this feature in a ROM Hack, even when the Alpha is short (As they suppose to be), after reading that i've decided to play.
    I just didn't really liked that much the Legendary Battles and the new Eeeveevolution's name (Its design looks beast tho, i loved it).
    I'll be looking forward this no doubts, i'll start the Alpha now <3

If you look at it in a different way, the actual system puts the death in player's hands anyways.
    If a Pokemon dies, it's because you certainly commited a fault whether it could be by choosing a wrong attack or because you didn't used a potion in the exact moment, or because you went to a fight which you shouldn't supposed to do yet.
    After that, it's a certainly matter of luck, whether the game itself decides to punish you for your fault or not.
    But in general, if it dies, it would be because the player commited a fault.

EDIT1:
    I've found my first bug, besides of trying to heal without getting a Pokemon xD
    If you go to the Bag to the "Key Items" section, and then go back pressing the B button, the music mutes, the sound effects are still there tho.

EDIT2:
    Since the Alpha was appearently short i've explored a bit and found that wink to Keiji Inafune, good job there, i'm not that fan of Megaman, but that was cool xD

EDIT3:
    Ha! Just killed a Rattata and a Spearow and i've got a Ruined Core! <3

EDIT4:
    While searching for Hidden Items i've found 0 Spoleon Berries in this Rock, at the Nola Cavern's Entrance..
    It's nice because i've got the Berry Pouch, but shouldn't you put at least 2 of them?
    (2 if you plant to put some breedable berries spots through this Kanto Region)
    Btw, 5 Ruined Cores so far <3

EDIT5:
    10 Ruined Cores and 5 Common Cores so far <3 ... 0 Pokeballs tho, Oak didn't gave me anything else than 1 Potion with the Starter, so i can't catch Pokemons and i can't surpass the poison of Gringey City ;_; ...

I'm glad you're liking that feature so much! I would have gone a bit more crazy with what they drop, but unfortunately I'm limited in how I do it, and how many items are in the game. (I haven't learned how to expand those tables yet)

May I ask what you didn't like about legendary battles? Why wouldn't you want more from a game? Also what exactly bothered you about Appeareon's name?

This game tries to not hold your hand too much. There's a shop in Celedon City and it offers tons of options for pokeballs, and they change based on how far you are in the story. That should solve that problem. There should also be pokeballs hidden in areas around the game.

Good luck!

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • May I ask what you didn't like about legendary battles? Why wouldn't you want more from a game? Also what exactly bothered you about Appeareon's name?

This game tries to not hold your hand too much. There's a shop in Celedon City and it offers tons of options for pokeballs, and they change based on how far you are in the story. That should solve that problem. There should also be pokeballs hidden in areas around the game.

Good luck!

1) Welp.. with this Pokedeath System and the tough description you gave, it just scared me a bit, but i don't want to worry too much about it until i see it xD

2) About the Poke Balls.. Welp.. Saffron's Mart is blocked because of the meteorite, Celadon's Mart says they don't work on Sundays even when today is Thursday and i have the Real Time Clock On and Gringey doesn't seems to have a Mart, there's just this Old Man Cyapress

EDIT:
    About Appeareon's name.. idk, it just doesn't sounds cool to me, but that's just a matter of taste, it isn't really important xD

EDIT2:
    Welp.. i've found 2 Generators in Gringey thanks to using like 3 or 4 potions but it also seems that i need a Key, where can i find it? D: ..

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • 1) Welp.. with this Pokedeath System and the tough description you gave, it just scared me a bit, but i don't want to worry too much about it until i see it xD

2) About the Poke Balls.. Welp.. Saffron's Mart is blocked because of the meteorite, Celadon's Mart says they don't work on Sundays even when today is Thursday and i have the Real Time Clock On and Gringey doesn't seems to have a Mart, there's just this Old Man Cyapress

EDIT:
    About Appeareon's name.. idk, it just doesn't sounds cool to me, but that's just a matter of taste, it isn't really important xD

Celadon's mart is working for me. I'll upload this new version very soon. (its 3:30AM right now, expect it before 6:00AM)

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • 1) Welp.. with this Pokedeath System and the tough description you gave, it just scared me a bit, but i don't want to worry too much about it until i see it xD

EDIT:

EDIT2:
    Welp.. i've found 2 Generators in Gringey thanks to using like 3 or 4 potions but it also seems that i need a Key, where can i find it? D: ..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nw42qmra962ehw0/Pokemon Aqua Blue ADemo 9-3-15.zip?dl=0

New version. Don't view your pokemon summary if the pokemon dies. Death rates are higher than they should be.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/nw42qmra962ehw0/Pokemon%20Aqua%20Blue%20ADemo%209-3-15.zip?dl=0

New version. Don't view your pokemon summary if the pokemon dies. Death rates are higher than they should be.

I must be the worst player of this game in the world, because i've used all my Potions and Antidotes to get the Key, Turn On the Generators and pass through the Guard and now, i just can't left Gringey City.. like.. at all {D:}
    As you can see, i was almost reaching Celadon's PCenter, my Charmeleon fainted, and then i was sent back to Cyapress's Shelter..
    Spoiler:

EDIT:
    Nvm, for some reason, Charmeleon didn't got poisoned anymore after that respawn, welp.. then i'll go to Saffron to give this stone to Oak then xD

EDIT2:
    I still can't buy in the Mart tho, the girl still says that they don't work on Sundays even when today is Thursday.

EDIT3:
    Welp.. Nvm, guess i've reached the end of the Alpha because Oak's Aide in Saffron's PCenter says that i must give the stone to Oak in Cerulean and the only 2 paths are blocked, one by guards and the other by 2 trainers fighting with a Slowpoke and a Meowth.
    Overall, it was pretty nice, i'll be definitely looking forward the Alpha 2 / Beta 1 <3

EDIT4:
    Oh, i didn't noticed, i can challenge Erika appearently so.. i'll do so <3

EDIT5:
    Okay, Erika defeated and i have one last thing to say, shouldn't the Badge give a less limit of obedience per level?
    I mean.. Isn't Lv50 way too much for the first badge?
    Something like Lv30 would be way more logical xD
    Anyway, it was pretty fun, i'll be definitely looking forward to the next Alpha / first Beta <3

EDIT6:
    Yep, the end of the Demo, now that i've beated Erika the kids are gone and there's this msgbox telling me, so.. yeah.. i'll be looking forward to the next version <3
    (And i'll be using the walk through walls code to spoil a bit, JoJo)
    (Okay, i've saw an OP Larvitar and now i'm really scared, i'll keep training some Pokemons because it's obvious that i won't be able to Solo-Run this Hack xD)
    (Oh, yeah, i almost forgot that i can't buy Poke Balls.. Nvm, i'll train in the next version then xD)

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • I must be the worst player of this game in the world, because i've used all my Potions and Antidotes to get the Key, Turn On the Generators and pass through the Guard and now, i just can't left Gringey City.. like.. at all {D:}
    As you can see, i was almost reaching Celadon's PCenter, my Charmeleon fainted, and then i was sent back to Cyapress's Shelter..
    Spoiler:

EDIT:
    Nvm, for some reason, Charmeleon didn't got poisoned anymore after that respawn, welp.. then i'll go to Saffron to give this stone to Oak then xD

EDIT2:
    I still can't buy in the Mart tho, the girl still says that they don't work on Sundays even when today is Thursday.

EDIT3:
    Welp.. Nvm, guess i've reached the end of the Alpha because Oak's Aide in Saffron's PCenter says that i must give the stone to Oak in Cerulean and the only 2 paths are blocked, one by guards and the other by 2 trainers fighting with a Slowpoke and a Meowth.
    Overall, it was pretty nice, i'll be definitely looking forward the Alpha 2 / Beta 1 <3

EDIT4:
    Oh, i didn't noticed, i can challenge Erika appearently so.. i'll do so <3

EDIT5:
    Okay, Erika defeated and i have one last thing to say, shouldn't the Badge give a less limit of obedience per level?
    I mean.. Isn't Lv50 way too much for the first badge?
    Something like Lv30 would be way more logical xD
    Anyway, it was pretty fun, i'll be definitely looking forward to the next Alpha / first Beta <3

EDIT6:
    Yep, the end of the Demo, now that i've beated Erika the kids are gone and there's this msgbox telling me, so.. yeah.. i'll be looking forward to the next version <3
    (And i'll be using the walk through walls code to spoil a bit, JoJo)
    (Okay, i've saw an OP Larvitar and now i'm really scared, i'll keep training some Pokemons because it's obvious that i won't be able to Solo-Run this Hack xD)
    (Oh, yeah, i almost forgot that i can't buy Poke Balls.. Nvm, i'll train in the next version then xD)

Its something wrong with your computer then. You should absolutely be able to use the pokemart.

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • I'll be sure to check that out. That might already be fixed, as I have yet to release the next build. I know there were some problems with the pokemon selection before. We will see if its fixed however. As for the icon for the laptop, that's due to how I use the animations for cut. That's basically the new "this isn't a pokemon" sprite.

Edit: I did confirm that you must be using an old file. On my version, everything is working as it should. I'll be releasing the latest version as soon as FBI gets pokedeaths fully working.
    So I downloaded the updated version and wanted to pick my favourite hoenn starter, Mudkip, and it didn't work. I tried totodile and a couple other starters and they worked perfectly.
    Spoiler:

EDIT: Most of the starters shiny sprites look like crap, would be cool if you customized some of them imo. I mean cyndaquil is practically the same, if his flames were like green or blue that'd be cool, just saying.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Lunos;8914720´ said:
    EDIT2:

Same problem here, the Lady still says "We are closed on sundays"

And I cannot move, because the kids are in the way and want payment in form of souls

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2015
    This looks great! If get a better Version up I am so gonna try it!
    Good luck with the hacking!

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2016
    Can I get Eevee or not? Also, I can't seem to go anywhere. All the gyms are blocked, and I can't find the lawnmower :(

isacc0909

Dragon Knight
    Years
  • So I just finished the demo in a very quick 2 and and half hours (speed up) about 1 without and I'll say it's interesting so far and I do like how it is harder I'll admit the normal games are very easy but I'll say this my only real complaint is I found Erika a little over powered mostly as it seemed like all her pokemon had max Ev's and very good Iv's which isn't really problem except her bulbasuar and bellsprout hit outrageously hard granted my team was a lvl 12 growlithe, lvl 10 totodile,lvl 10 meowth and a lvl 11 zubat.

It's more I don't like that I only won beacuse of having zubat use supersonic then blasting them with ember hoping I killed them without them hurting me vs themselves like it's fine maybe I was just underlvl'd or didn't have the best team I mean after all I did still win and on the first attempt it was just way to close in my opinion. Anyway fun so far looking forward to the next demo and of course the final game. I do have one question will you be adding in fairy typing? I know that might be difficult but just curious oh also curious if moves from 4th,5th,6th gen will be in the game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back