• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Discussion (Current Subject: Aerodactyl)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2009
    I used to run a Blaziken as one of the recievers on my old Ninjask baton pass team (which, as we all know, have almost disappeared entirely due to stupid T-tar and Hippo). I think my set was something like this:

Blaziken @ Expert Belt/whatever the thing is that boosts physical attacks
    252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
    Adamant
    Blaze Kick
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Sky Uppercut

Worked great when I could pull off the baton pass, otherwise lacked in speed and mostly just got raped, but such is the life of a Ninjask-centered baton pass team.

Hmm, now that I come to think of it, I had another version of this that used Wide Lens. I must have changed some of the attacks, though now I have no idea what they were.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    If you want to make it a Speed-receiving Pokemon, then make Blaze Kick into Fire Blast, and add in something like HP Ice to help deal with other threats like dragons.

Shouldn't it roughly that time to change the subject again? I've been thinking of something like Drapion or something non-fire.

Beginnings

thx tom-san for banner/avvy
    Years
    I would love to use Maggy, but it's speed is abysmal, but it gets access to some really nice physical moves, too bad it's special attack is amazing :/, that's the off-putting part of Magmortar, it's Special Attack is amazing, but it doesn't have a great special movepool, however I guess 317 is still viable, it's got access to Cross Chop, Dynamic Punch, Mach Punch, Flare Blitz etc.

Z o M B ii 3

Upgrade your Grey Matter.
    Years
    75HP/95ATK/67DEF/125SP.ATK/95SP.DEF/83SPD
    Base stats, correct?

It seems rather frail, and I'm disappointed that its speed is nothing to be proud of either. I'm pretty sure he loses base speed when he evolves from Magmar, correct? Its 2x weak to Rock, Ground, and Water, all of which are common types. Its a trade evolution, which are always a pain.

It can learn Thunderpunch, Earthquake, Solarbeam, and Rock Slide, which work well against pokemon its weak too, so thats nice. Names creative, Mortar could come from Johto ( MT. Mortar ) because Magby.

Pretty much everything I have to say about this pokemon.
    (Except it took me aloooong time to breed the right one)

boo836

I'm back?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2009
    Magmortar: @ life orb/ leftovers
    Hasty nature
    Evs: 252spd, 180 att, 78 spatt
    - Lava plume/ Flamethrower
    - Hp [grass]/ [ice]
    -Thunder punch
    - Cross chop/ Mach punch

Mixed sweeper, hits 291 speed to outspeed adamant SD luke and other neutral base 90- 95.

ABYAY

Years
    Magmortar is an offensive powerhouse, boasting very powerful moves, great coverage, and a good mixed movepool. It's stats are at least above average for the most part, and its ability (Flame Body) assists in keeping away physical attackers due to that risk of a burn.

Let's look at a common set used by Magmortar.

Magmortar@Choice Specs
    Modest
    252sp.atk/252speed/6sp.def

Fire Blast/Overheat
    Thunderbolt
    Focus Blast
    Hidden Power Ice

Obviously, with Magmortar's base 125 sp.atk, Choice Specs sends it to outer space with Specs. If Swampert wants to come in, it's 2HKO'd by Focus Blast, along with Snorlax. Water non-ground types, barring Lanturn, Ludicolo, and maybe something else, eat Thunderbolt for some big damage. Hidden Power Ice OHKOs Dragons wanting to absorb a Fire Blast, barring the increasing Yache Berry.

Magmortar doesn't stop here. It has the ability to act as a mixed attacker too.

Magmortar@Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Mild
    252sp.atk/84atk/172speed

Lava Plume/Fire Blast
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power Ice
    Cross Chop

Mixed attacking Magmortar serves as a big wall breaker, 2HKOing incoming special walls like Blissey and Snorlax, whilist its special movepool and special attack aren't wasted. The choice of items is pure power vs. Power and survivability. Magmortar will be blasting most things for super effective damage, so Expert Belt is usually a good choice.

Other options are available too. You can use are Focus Punch, but you'll need some really good prediction to use it correctly. Will-o-Wisp can burn incoming non-fire counters, and Toxic can hit an incoming Bulky Water. Mach Punch can be used on the mixed set if you don't need much fighting support, but need priority for things like Weavile or a low health DDTar. You can also opt for Taunt to stop a Blissey from Softboiling or Thunder Waving, usually forcing it out to something that can't take on Magmortar. You could also use Earthquake, but Magmortar can take on the two most common fire types already with its power and coverage. You could try a Countersash lead Magmortar for a surprise KO if you're into that.

Personally, I love Magmortar, although I've never actually used it. It's a force to be reckoned with if your team is paralyzed or you have nothing up to its speed. He's a unique Pokemon with amazing coverage, so he can fill a nifty niche on your team.

To cover it up for Maggy, it's a good underrated Pokemon because it isn't that amazing by itself. It has some good stats, but needs that support to become an absolute terror.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    magmortar shouldn't be trying to outrun things like SDluke who most likely carries focus sash and may even OHKO magmortar after one SD + extremespeed when you have a -def nature. unfortunately, magmortar makes a horrible scarfer as well. unlike other sweepers, it doesn't have the factor of unpredictability and even worse has that srock weakness.

anywho, since all the viable options have been posted (thanks for that ABYAY *golf clap*), i suppose i can throw out a couple ideas:

Magmortar @ Leftovers/Wide Lens/Petaya Berry/Expert Belt
    Modest/Lonely Nature
    (252 SP ATK/180 HP/76 SPD) (172 ATK/100 SPD/236 SP ATK)
    -Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    -Focus Punch/Thunderbolt/Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp/Thunderbolt/Taunt/Focus Blast
    -Substitute

obv, another sub set except this contains of at least three different strategies. fire types with offenses on both sides are good at taking out walls but they have no means of assuring they get a kill before they end up getting raeped themselves.

my personal preference is my subWoW set, Fire Blast/Substitute/Taunt/Will-o-Wisp. even garchomp has trouble with this thing. subpunch is very hard to handle too. i've never tried the petaya subattack but it can't be that bad.

ABYAY

Years
    You might need paralysis support or make sure their fast threats are downed first with that Sub set Samson...SubPetaya on Magmortar can really bash things, but just know you're 100% walled by Heatran and Flash Fire users unless you use Focus Punch somewhere.

Yay golf claps for me!

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    I love using Magmortar on Shoddy. I use the Specs set but I am liking the look of that Mixed Attacker.
    I will be sure to try it out and give you guys some feedback.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    ABYAY: actually, that is the idea. i like to lure in other fire types as i sub immediately, taunt them and learn what variant they are. magmortar and rapidash are probably the two only predictable fire types in the metagame while the rest drop some serious threats when they switch in. NP infernape does not like being taunted when breaking a sub with what i assume will be close combat or earthquake (though we both know how uncommon EQ is w/o band, hence more prediction). the tactic only really becomes useless against Heatran who will undoubtedly attack. sure, i could always just give Magmortar some attack evs w/ EQ so it can take out other fire types with ease, but without either taunt or WoW, i make it a lot more vulnerable to more offenses. i wouldn't be able to safely burn garchomp and follow up with taunt if garchomp has a means of preventing the burn (eg sub) along with stopping SD buildup. besides, there's something cool about burning half a team of pokemon. really, even bulky waters hate being taunted/burned.

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Magmortar >> Electivire. I've absolutely loved this pokemon since the day DP came out, and IMO it outclasses Electivire, especially currently, it's just unfortunate other pokemon outclass Magmortar similarly. :(

Anyway -

Other sets ->
    Spoiler:

Magmortar@Expert Belt
    Lonely
    192 Atk, 204 Sp. Atk, 112 Spd

Substitute
    Focus Punch
    Fire Blast
    Thunderbolt

* Updated the set. It's now been fixed and works better.

EDIT: ASKING FOR TOGEKISS TO BE THE NEXT IN LINE PLEASE. =D

~T_S

Last edited:

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    Magmortar...a Fire-type with Thunderbolt is not something usual...and a great movepool isn't common for Fire-types.
    What about physical moves on Magmortar, expecially Cross Chop to dent Blissey? Waste of EVs?

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Cross Chop is standard on the mix-set, it isn't anything new. If you'd read the previous posts, you would understand that.

Well, Bibarel would be cool. I just finished a Bibarel set that I think can tear open the UU metagame..so I dunno if I wanna show it to the public. Let's just say, if Bibarel could learn Aqua Jet, it would be OU.

~T_S

boo836

I'm back?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2009
    T_S, bibarel is awesome.

Just to stay on toic, I'll post a LO set.

Magmortar: @ Life orb
    Lonley
    252 att, 212 spd, 46 hp

-Fire punch
    -Thunder punch
    -Earthquake/Cross chop
    -Over Heat/Mach Punch

Fire punch for your stab, Thunder Punch to hit gyara switch-ins, EQ to hit Heatran switch-ins, Cross chop also hits tran, Mach punch to hit fast pokes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back