• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Final v7.41 (updated January 18th 2023)

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Firstly, I didn't develop the day/night cycle so it wasn't up to me to have it go by the system time. Secondly I have looked for a new day/night cycle that operates on the in game clock to help not only alleviate the issue with real hardware but to also make evolving Umbreon and Espeon more straightforward but I've not found one yet.

Lastly, I went through the effort to make so many optional patches so that people could tailor their own experience as I'm well aware that my preferences are not universal, and frankly your remark about the amount of options I have included was rude. Constructive criticism is welcomed, rudeness is not.

Apologies if I came across rude, that was not my intention. I was under the impression that it was an intentional design choice to have the day/night cycle be tied to your system time and not the ingame time. I must thank you for the multiple patches as this does give the freedom to custom tailor your experience. I will look forward to the possibility of a proper day/night cycle that works on real hardware!

Years
  • Apologies if I came across rude, that was not my intention. I was under the impression that it was an intentional design choice to have the day/night cycle be tied to your system time and not the ingame time. I must thank you for the multiple patches as this does give the freedom to custom tailor your experience. I will look forward to the possibility of a proper day/night cycle that works on real hardware!

Judging by the rest of them, if I had been able to have the option to make the day/night cycle run in the in game clock I'd have made a patch for that option lol. Both have their merits, for example running on system time takes away the risk of speedup causing constant color shifting.

I set out to make Emerald Final as customizable as possible and I'll continue to strive to do so. We all have different ideas about what the game should be, after all :)

Astralaria mentioned that someone else may soon have an in game clock controlled day/night cycle and if so I'll make sure to specifically mention it's necessity for real hardware, as I always make individual READMEs for each optional patch ;)

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Judging by the rest of them, if I had been able to have the option to make the day/night cycle run in the in game clock I'd have made a patch for that option lol. Both have their merits, for example running on system time takes away the risk of speedup causing constant color shifting.

I set out to make Emerald Final as customizable as possible and I'll continue to strive to do so. We all have different ideas about what the game should be, after all :)

Astralaria mentioned that someone else may soon have an in game clock controlled day/night cycle and if so I'll make sure to specifically mention it's necessity for real hardware, as I always make individual READMEs for each optional patch ;)

good stuff. Looking forward to it!

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    How did you modify the berry system? it's really good idea and I would like to be able to do it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    @Dearman4:

First off hello again buddy 😊

Secondly, I know you said you do not want to tie Pokemon encounter availability with the Day/Night Cycle and Time based encounters. But truth be told, that is the most viable option to avoid silly Pokemon locations like HootHoot being in the Safari Zone. HootHoot is supposed to be a Nocturnal early game Pokemon so having to encounter one near late game is silly indeed. Remember in Gen II and in succeeding Generations Time tied Pokemon availability is a norm. Also reading the posts above this one, I finally understand your point. But hopefully the aforementioned new update to the tools you use will help in improving how time based stuff can be implemented in game. So here's hoping for a better future for your hack.

Years
  • @Dearman4:

First off hello again buddy 😊

Secondly, I know you said you do not want to tie Pokemon encounter availability with the Day/Night Cycle and Time based encounters. But truth be told, that is the most viable option to avoid silly Pokemon locations like HootHoot being in the Safari Zone. HootHoot is supposed to be a Nocturnal early game Pokemon so having to encounter one near late game is silly indeed. Remember in Gen II and in succeeding Generations Time tied Pokemon availability is a norm. Also reading the posts above this one, I finally understand your point. But hopefully the aforementioned new update to the tools you use will help in improving how time based stuff can be implemented in game. So here's hoping for a better future for your hack.

I've actually been mapping out the wild locations again to fix that issue, because you're right it's too late game to encounter that pokemon. I'm going to try to match up the timing with the original encounters (by which I mean number of badges) so you get the pokemon at more appropriate times

Years
  • How did you modify the berry system? it's really good idea and I would like to be able to do it.

Actually igorfs10 helped me with that, here's the script
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    Spoiler:

Thank you, but do I just have to use this script in every loamy soil in the game and it'll be the same as in pokemon final emerald? I'm not sure if it's that easy, I thought it was a more elaborate process, but I might just be missing something. btw, I'm a new to this, sorry if I ask dumb questions.

Years
  • Thank you, but do I just have to use this script in every loamy soil in the game and it'll be the same as in pokemon final emerald? I'm not sure if it's that easy, I thought it was a more elaborate process, but I might just be missing something. btw, I'm a new to this, sorry if I ask dumb questions.

Actually every berry plot uses the same script so you just edit one and it'll edit them all! If you notice the offsets at the beginning are set rather than needing to search for new offsets, this is so you can change just one as I mentioned.
    Really you SHOULD repoint them all but it works this way for this. Changing them all wouldn't be hard, just time consuming...

No worries about the questions, we all gotta start somewhere!

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    Spoiler:

Thank you, but do I just have to copy and paste this script in every loamy soil in the game and it'll be like Final Emerald? I thought it was a more complicated process, but I might just be missing something. I'm new to this, sorry if I make dumb questions.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    Actually every berry plot uses the same script so you just edit one and it'll edit them all! If you notice the offsets at the beginning are set rather than needing to search for new offsets, this is so you can change just one as I mentioned.
    Really you SHOULD repoint them all but it works this way for this. Changing them all wouldn't be hard, just time consuming...

No worries about the questions, we all gotta start somewhere!

lol that's cool, I'll try it out. btw, people say ``repoint`` a lot, but I'm not sure what it means, does that mean ``replace``?. Also sorry for sending the messages twice, I thought the first one didn't send.

Years
  • lol that's cool, I'll try it out. btw, people say ``repoint`` a lot, but I'm not sure what it means, does that mean ``replace``?. Also sorry for sending the messages twice, I thought the first one didn't send.

Repointing is basically like having a forwarding address for your mail, saying to go to a new address. The reason why can be thought of as housing space, let's say a bit of code is a family of two and live in a house only big enough for them. Now if you were to add to that family there wouldn't be enough room for them all so you'd need to find a new place for them. So anywhere that 'points' to that address needs to be repointed to the new one.
    On that note unless you are doing something that doesn't change the amount of space something takes up (pretty much exchanging dialog on a character for character basis) you should always repoint because if you add even a single additional byte of data, it'll encroach onto other code and potentially cause glitches

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    Repointing is basically like having a forwarding address for your mail, saying to go to a new address. The reason why can be thought of as housing space, let's say a bit of code is a family of two and live in a house only big enough for them. Now if you were to add to that family there wouldn't be enough room for them all so you'd need to find a new place for them. So anywhere that 'points' to that address needs to be repointed to the new one.
    On that note unless you are doing something that doesn't change the amount of space something takes up (pretty much exchanging dialog on a character for character basis) you should always repoint because if you add even a single additional byte of data, it'll encroach onto other code and potentially cause glitches

Thank you for the explanation. This is not working. I'm using Advance Map and XSE to change the script of a berry plot to the one you gave me, but idk if that's how I should it, maybe I have to use another program, idk. the berry tree just does nothing now, I have backup tho.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Speaking of Loamy Soil, has anybody else experience a bit of wonkiness with them? I would plant a berry, right after picking one up, and water them but instead of growing sometimes the planted seed would insta disappear. This is more apparent after you save your game, exit and reload your save file. Because of this I stopped planting berries altogether. Once I pick 'em I just leave. Good thing there is a New NPC that sells Berries in Lilicove City's Contest Hall. I know this might be a long shot but I really wish Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald's Berry planting mechanic would just be replaced with the Berry Tree mechanic a lot of Fire Red hacks borrowed from Gen II which is a lot easier to deal with.

RFE - Addendum:
    I hope these upcoming updates to the tools you use will also allow ROM hackers like you to finally silence those annoying PokéNav calls 😂

Last edited:

Mephodicus

Inventor
    Years
  • Hey dearman4, endrift posted a patch on the original thread to the Day and Night program so that the system works on other emulators and real hardware. I already have a patched version attached if you want to use it to update your patch.

To others, I don't recommend using this tool to patch over any work dearman4 already did, otherwise you might bork your rom.

Attachments

• DNS.zip
      919.1 KB · Views: 6
    Years
  • Hey dearman4, endrift posted a patch on the original thread to the Day and Night program so that the system works on other emulators and real hardware. I already have a patched version attached if you want to use it to update your patch.

To others, I don't recommend using this tool to patch over any work dearman4 already did, otherwise you might bork your rom.

Thanks I'll check it out!

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2021
    Hi,
    I found your Rom-Hack today and I think it's pretty awsome, but I have the Problem, that whenever I want to start the patched Rom, I get a Whitescreen even if I have the save-option set to Flash-128k.
    Hope you can help me.

Years
  • Hi,
    I found your Rom-Hack today and I think it's pretty awsome, but I have the Problem, that whenever I want to start the patched Rom, I get a Whitescreen even if I have the save-option set to Flash-128k.
    Hope you can help me.

What emulator are you using? Also which base ROM are you using? I used Pokemon - Emerald Version (U).gba NOT the Trashman version

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2021
    What emulator are you using? Also which base ROM are you using? I used Pokemon - Emerald Version (U).gba NOT the Trashman version

I forgot to use the US-Version and instead tried to patch the German version.
    Thank's for the fast response and for this awsome Hack :D

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Are there any plans to update the optional Moemon patch with more recent sprites?

Back