• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
    Why?

Why do we need to play the exact same game again for the third time running?
    What do we gain from being able to revisit Kanto, when every Kanto Pokémon can already be obtained through playing HG/SS on your new 3DS and DSi system?

Fire Red and Leaf Green are probably the cheapest, and therefore worst Pokémon games they've made. Sure, the game looks pretty for the GBA and the engine works this time, but they made no effort to modernise the rest of the game to the standards of story and design they did with Ruby and Sapphire. Now after Black and White represented a massive jump in the quality of the storytelling they'd look even more bare-bones and archaic today. Trying to do the same thing again with more pretty graphics would be terrible - unless they went back to Red and Blue and redesigned the game to bring them up to the standards of today's games in every other way.

Why would they risk the ire of making something seen as a "remake of a remake" or conversely, a game that needs to be totally remade from scratch to not be seen as a lazy effort, when they could spend that time making games that will be received much better?

I don't mean to whip up an argument here but it has been 7 years ever since Pokemon FireRed & LeafGreen were released! If it is the "cheapest" game than why did Ign rate it 9/10? And since GameStop & other shops have stopped carrying used Gameboy games then eventually you will not be able to buy it in stores. I agree with C Payne, it would be a great idea but I wouldn't get upset over it not being released. I think it would sell well if they rereleased the Kanto region!

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2013
    Well apparently(or so I've heard and seen around), The Pokemon Company is making an appearance at Jump Festa for thie first time(an annual Japanese manga/anime focused gaming event, I think), which is going to happen this Winter.

If this is true and they do reveal the remakes then that will prove part of my theory right from a couple pages back (We might get an announcement for the Japanese games in Fall or Winter 2011, most likely Winter since the 10th anniversary is Fall 2012 [November 21st to be exact])

Thing is if they remade it wouldn't they just do Ruby and Sapphire because if you look back all the remakes they did, they only did first two like Fire red and Leaf green. No remake of yellow and the same with Heart gold and Soul Silver no remake of crystal.
    That's true but they implement ideas from the 3rd version. I've never played Yellow so I can't say FR|LG implemented ideas from that but I know for sure that although HG|SS was a G|S remake the implemented ideas from Crystal (The female protagonist[Crystal was the 1st game with a female protagonist], and the Eusine(spell check) & Suicune story line). So although it would be a R|S remake they will have ideas from Emerald.

Years
    I don't mean to whip up an argument here but it has been 7 years ever since Pokemon FireRed & LeafGreen were released! If it is the "cheapest" game than why did Ign rate it 9/10? And since GameStop & other shops have stopped carrying used Gameboy games then eventually you will not be able to buy it in stores. I agree with C Payne, it would be a great idea but I wouldn't get upset over it not being released. I think it would sell well if they rereleased the Kanto region!

Heart Gold and Soul Silver are technically remakes of both GSC AND FireRed/LeafGreen, since you can travel to Kanto and defeat those leaders. So, we have a Kanto DSi game. We just need a RSE remake for the current generation.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    Well, IMO it would be better if they we can revisit the kanto rejoin in the R/S remakes
    or it's possible that they will add sevii islands.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years

Heart Gold and Soul Silver are technically remakes of both GSC AND FireRed/LeafGreen, since you can travel to Kanto and defeat those leaders. So, we have a Kanto DSi game. We just need a RSE remake for the current generation.

Well you do have a point but it would still be a great idea to reintroduce FireRed & LeafGreen since it's been awhile since those type of Kanto games were released. You are correct that they have most of what FireRed & LeafGreen have but they don't have the Sevii Islands or the Kanto elite four.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Well you do have a point but it would still be a great idea to reintroduce FireRed & LeafGreen since it's been awhile since those type of Kanto games were released. You are correct that they have most of what FireRed & LeafGreen have but they don't have the Sevii Islands or the Kanto elite four.
    Ruby and Sapphire came before FR/LG so they're actually older and deserve to be reintroduced sooner than the two [to me at least]. Besides, RSE were never previous Pokémon games to where they were remade to be what they are now, whereas with FR/LG they were actually remakes to Red and Blue.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    FR/LG actually have the lowest aggregate score of all Pokémon games and the lowest total sales of all original Pokémon games (excluding third versions), for the record.

The amount of money they actually made is debatable - Emerald sold a little more than half of what FR/LG did, but it's likely that more money was put into developing FR/LG than was spent adding new features to Emerald, especially when you find that most of the time their artists were working on FRLG rather than Emerald, and that more had to be made from the ground up for FRLG.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2013
    I've been on a lot of forums doing research on these remakes and i see a lot of people say that "the 3rd is already compatible with the 5th gen so a remake is unnecessary or not gonna happen" so I'm going to say this here also so if someone with that attitude comes in here so they can think about this:

people say 3rd gen is compatible with 5th gen it's actually NOT! well not directly I mean who wants to take their 3rd gen team pal park it to their 4th gen game then poke shift it to their B|W. The poke shifter was created so gen 5 can directly connect with gen 4 so technically gen 5 isn't compatible with the 3rd gen at all. Then if you wanna trade over the GTS people ask for the STUPIDEST trades, I mean seriously people ask for a lvl100 Latios and offer a lvl1 Torchic. Who in they right mind would trade a lvl100 legendary for a lvl1 starter I mean seriously if you are going to ask for a trade over GTS atleast offer something of EQUAL value (ie. a starter for a starter, a legendary for a legendary). So a R|S|E remake would make sense so that way B|W can DIRECTLY connect to the 3rd gen and make it easier.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    What's probably just as important is that the DS Lite will most likely be discontinued soon after Christmas, if it hasn't already been. Cause it's like, nearly eight years old and there's three newer models out to fill the shelves (DSi, DSi XL and 3DS)

At that point, it will only get harder to get your hands on a system that can actually let you play R/S and Pal Park with them.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012
    I just wish Gamefreak/Nintendo would hurry up and make an announcement. They've had at least 3 chances to make a remake announcement ever since the release of Black and White, and they've ignored each one. I know its important to take your time, but all of this silence is driving me crazy.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    I just wish Gamefreak/Nintendo would hurry up and make an announcement. They've had at least 3 chances to make a remake announcement ever since the release of Black and White, and they've ignored each one. I know its important to take your time, but all of this silence is driving me crazy.
    IKR? They should have announced the remakes or the 3rd game in September, but instead a spinoff
    game that no one cares about!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    As we've seen in the past few years, they're not into announcing games until around five to seven months before they actually come out. ( Plat - Announced 05/08, released 09/08; HGSS - Announced 05/09, released 09/09; BW - Announced 04/10, released 09/10 )

If they're going for the same release date as normal, given the same two year gap since BW as there was between RSE and Em and DP and Plat (which gives the team a natural development cycle to go back and work on the things they couldn't finish while also working on new games at the same time) we wont hear any news this year.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    The whole point of a remake is to revive and replay the whole experience in the case of FRLG playing through Kanto. If they remade FRLG that would just take the point out of that remake.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012
    As we've seen in the past few years, they're not into announcing games until around five to seven months before they actually come out. ( Plat - Announced 05/08, released 09/08; HGSS - Announced 05/09, released 09/09; BW - Announced 04/10, released 09/10 )

If they're going for the same release date as normal, given the same two year gap since BW as there was between RSE and Em and DP and Plat (which gives the team a natural development cycle to go back and work on the things they couldn't finish while also working on new games at the same time) we wont hear any news this year.

Good point, although remember those are concerning Japanese release dates. On May 15th 2008 Pokemon Platinum was confirmed by Nintendo through CoroCoro, but it wasn't released in other countries (besides Japan) until a good 10-14 months later. If we're going by the whole 10th anniversary thing, we could be expecting an announcement in December, or early next year. Considering that the Pokemon Company/Game Freak/whatever is making an appearance at 'Jump Festa' on December 17th-18th, I shall be disappointed if they don't announce the remakes then, or at least drop a 'teaser'.
    Of course, this whole prediction might be wrong and they might end up announcing Grey, who knows.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Non-Japanese release dates have no relevance when Japan are always the first people to hear about the games and get the games.

An announcement by The Pokémon Company is too broad to automatically assume it relates to the main games. They could just as easily (if not more likely because it's their job to handle spinoffs) announce a new Mystery Dungeon game, another Wii game or something else entirely during that event.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Non-Japanese release dates have no relevance when Japan are always the first people to hear about the games and get the games.

An announcement by The Pokémon Company is too broad to automatically assume it relates to the main games. They could just as easily (if not more likely because it's their job to handle spinoffs) announce a new Mystery Dungeon game, another Wii game or something else entirely during that event.

In all honesty, a Mystery Dungeon game(assuming it's for the 3DS) is fine with me, as I actually like those.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012
    But since Japan always get the games first, a Japanese announcement couldn't be that far away, if they wanted a 2012 release. At least then, we would have a good idea of when they would be released everywhere else.
    The more I think about it though, there's not much of a chance they would make an announcement at Jump Festa. But still, the first teaser can't possibly be that far away(unless they're releasing Grey first, and pushing back the R/S remakes till 2013(2014 everywhere else)).
    If that happens, I will be very angry!

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'm becoming more likely about an R/S remake.. it's just a matter of when. The timeline is unpredictable and there is nothing to base it on considering the differences with HGSS & FRLG.

Assuming they stick to the 10 year anniversary as they did with HGSS.. RS were released (in Japan) 21st November 2002 so that means it would be released sometime around 12th November 2012 (theoretically) which would take it back to being revealed sometime around early 2012 say.. June/July 2012. As for the rest of the world they would get it mid 2013 (May/June/July) that's just a theory that COULD work assuming the remakes come before the third game but unfortunately I'm not too positive that will happen, it could but I doubt it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012
    Thats true. But I just want a legitimate screenshot or a leaked video clip showing me that development is at full force, rather than being kicked under a metaphorical table and ignored. Failing that, an announcement (of course).

EDIT: Good theory, but I guess we have a long waiting time...

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I've been on a lot of forums doing research on these remakes and i see a lot of people say that "the 3rd is already compatible with the 5th gen so a remake is unnecessary or not gonna happen" so I'm going to say this here also so if someone with that attitude comes in here so they can think about this:

people say 3rd gen is compatible with 5th gen it's actually NOT! well not directly I mean who wants to take their 3rd gen team pal park it to their 4th gen game then poke shift it to their B|W. The poke shifter was created so gen 5 can directly connect with gen 4 so technically gen 5 isn't compatible with the 3rd gen at all. Then if you wanna trade over the GTS people ask for the STUPIDEST trades, I mean seriously people ask for a lvl100 Latios and offer a lvl1 Torchic. Who in they right mind would trade a lvl100 legendary for a lvl1 starter I mean seriously if you are going to ask for a trade over GTS atleast offer something of EQUAL value (ie. a starter for a starter, a legendary for a legendary). So a R|S|E remake would make sense so that way B|W can DIRECTLY connect to the 3rd gen and make it easier.
    If your so concerned about horrible trades then go to Trade Corner or whatever other forums you go to Trading forum they generally have respectable trades which you will rarely ever find on GTS. I honestly see no issue with having to Pal Park and then Pokeshift. Would you prefer they do what they did in between GSC and RSE were the games were compatible what so ever? I am find with how they have it now, RS will get remade so no biggy. On top of there being a good deal of Third Gen pokemon being able to be obtained in games like DPPt, HGSS, BW.

Why hurry up to make an announcement when they just got done releasing BW just one year ago? Spacing Main Series games with Spin Offs is the route they are going to go.

IKR? They should have announced the remakes or the 3rd game in September, but instead a spinoff
    game that no one cares about!
    If no one cared about them why would Game Freak make them? So they couldn't turn a profit? If people didn't like the first Poke Park then they wouldn't have announced a second one. No they shouldn't have, rushing a game just cause you want it now isn't good business or will be good for the quality of the game.

I'd say the earliest we would see a release of this is Q3 of next year. More then likely Third Game of BW will be released, then RS remakes so if they were going to release them next year we would need some info on at least one of them really soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back