• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue

gucci
Years
  • I think they would want to keep Stevens team the same.. maybe some minor tweaks in levels and the odd one or two Pokémon but I'm sure they will want to maintain his original team, you know for tradition? I mean even though some people may not like it, I second what you say I'd love to see him with a Bisharp! or Winona with an Unfezant and Roxanne with a Gigalith (rematches) the list goes on... I do see them making rematches for the Gym Leaders AND the E4 where they have National Dex Pokemon from Gen I-V.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • I just want them to change Steven's Aggron's moveset. It had nothing but special moves it was so easy to take out because of that. Give the thing EQ Iron Head or Iron Tail,Head Smash, Stone Edge or Rock Slide and leave Dragon Claw.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    After checking around some other sites, I came across some groups of names that made me laugh, one of the funniest being: Raunchy Ruby and Sexy Sapphire, lol...

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012
    They should make Wallace the 8th gym leader, Steven the Champion, and have Juan take Stevens place in Meteor Falls. Give Juan the same team he had in the final rematch against him in Emerald, and you're good to go.

As for Steven's team, they should include more Steel types. Maybe they should keep his team the same for the first Champion battle, then introduce a Steelix and Scizor for the rematch (post-National Dex). Right now, I don't know whether he's supposed to be a Steel-type Champion or a Rock-type Champion, but I would prefer the former.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    As for Steven's team, they should include more Steel types. Maybe they should keep his team the same for the first Champion battle, then introduce a Steelix and Scizor for the rematch (post-National Dex). Right now, I don't know whether he's supposed to be a Steel-type Champion or a Rock-type Champion, but I would prefer the former.

It's not really that he loves Rock types, but prefers 'fossil' types.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    More remakes? Ugh, no thank you. Everyone's remake-crazy nowadays, and I don't see for the life of me why. I'd far prefer new material to rehashes. FRLG and HGSS were OK since those regions had zero connectivity to the newer ones, but Hoenn's just fine where it is.

And if they do remake it, what next? Diamond and Pearl remade in Gen VI? Black and White remade in Gen VII? That's just... overkill. Remaking a generation two after it's come out is just... unappealing. It doesn't help that most of the good features that remakes introduced keep getting left out of most subsequent games. FRLG gave us the VS Seeker, which got used in the Sinnoh games and was promptly abandoned for inferior substitutes. Following Pokemon and the whole picture gimmick was great in HGSS... and left out once again in BW. The Pokeathlon was far more entertaining than contests or the Musical, but it's left in its own little corner of the verse.

RSE remakes will have to bring something seriously worthwhile and innovative to the table for me to even consider buying them. I'm not going to waste money- and yes, it would be a waste- just for nostalgia's sake.

Then again I'm talking about the Pokemon fandom where nostalgia is valued more than actual quality, so whatever.
    Some Pokemon fans grew up in the sinnoh and unova region which makes it their favorite generation, like the older people who liked Kanto and Johto.

Anyway I'm sick of waiting, every month they say there's a new game possibility but in the end it's a spin off games...

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    They said before a month that there's a massive shock announcement, but it appeared to be pokepark 2 and it wasn't shocking, maybe there was going to be the remakes, but they changed the plan since many fans expected it, they want to make it a surprise.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    More remakes? Ugh, no thank you. Everyone's remake-crazy nowadays, and I don't see for the life of me why. I'd far prefer new material to rehashes. FRLG and HGSS were OK since those regions had zero connectivity to the newer ones, but Hoenn's just fine where it is.

And if they do remake it, what next? Diamond and Pearl remade in Gen VI? Black and White remade in Gen VII? That's just... overkill. Remaking a generation two after it's come out is just... unappealing. It doesn't help that most of the good features that remakes introduced keep getting left out of most subsequent games. FRLG gave us the VS Seeker, which got used in the Sinnoh games and was promptly abandoned for inferior substitutes. Following Pokemon and the whole picture gimmick was great in HGSS... and left out once again in BW. The Pokeathlon was far more entertaining than contests or the Musical, but it's left in its own little corner of the verse.

RSE remakes will have to bring something seriously worthwhile and innovative to the table for me to even consider buying them. I'm not going to waste money- and yes, it would be a waste- just for nostalgia's sake.

Then again I'm talking about the Pokemon fandom where nostalgia is valued more than actual quality, so whatever.

DS Compatibility with the 3DS means remakes of Generation 4 or 5 will not be seen for quite a long time (and I get the feeling they'll stick to the cartridge design of the DS/3DS in future DS generations). However, Generation 3 is below the cutoff - meaning that unless you own a DS Lite, DS, or you still own a GBA, you're not going to be able to play them on the newer consoles. Yes, there's always the choice of emulation, but you'd get the moaners saying how nothing had been improved... and Generation 3 wasn't as well-received as other generations. This'd be a chance to close that gap. Can you honestly say you didn't buy FRLG, or HGSS? And not because of nostalgia, but because they allowed you to interact with the other games of that generation (since Generation 1 and 2 were cut off from generation 3), or because they were a general improvement over their originating games?

The idea of remakes is not just "here's the original game with spruced up graphics, now giz us money." (although FRLG might have seemed otherwise). The idea is to improve the games with mechanics that they might have originally wanted to implement, ideas that were going to be included, but were dropped either because of time or because of technological restraints. You must also remember that the third game is also technically classes as a 'remake' since it's not released alongside the main two games.

Anyways, I think I've bored you all with my ramblings long enough. Now here's a few improvements that I think would make these games greater:

-Sevii Islands - we saw them in FRLG but there wasn't much to do on them save for defeating the last remnants of Team Rocket. It'd be interesting if the other team were stationed on the Sevii Islands instead. As well as this, the islands, routes and dungeons should be greatly expanded. It could be here that we gain the National Pokedex too.
    - Johto Starters - in Emerald, if we complete the Hoenn Dex, we get to choose a starter from Johto's lineup. It's not necessary to include this feature as I assume we'd still get the Poketransfer, but it'd be a nice thought.
    - Improved PokeGear - did anybody else suffer the problems that trainers took forever to phone for a rematch when compared to GSC/HGSS? It'd be nice if that was improved so that we get to have rematches more often. Also, naturally, the map should be altered to feature the marking and tracking features that were in Generations IV and V.
    - Roaming Pokemon - Obviously, we should get Latias/Latios to return as roaming Pokemon, but I think there should be other roaming Pokemon too. Perhaps, if the Sevii Islands were included, we could get roaming Pokemon there too?
    - Expanded Hoenn Dex - this is a given. The number of evolutions/prevolutions to Hoenn Pokemon introduced in Generation IV needs to be addressed in Hoenn remakes.
    -Rayquaza - I liked the idea in HGSS that you needed both Groudon and Kyogre to be able to face Rayquaza. I'd suggest implementing this, plus only allowing Rayquaza to appear after beating the Pokemon League, or else toning down its level (after all, using a Lv70 legendary wasn't exactly fair).
    - A link to Black and White - another given, although how is another question as it'd be expected that an RSE remake would take place in the same time frame s the original - some years before B&W. This might be a good time to explore bringing back the Time Capsule from GSC.

I think that about covers my thoughts. Sorry for the long post :P

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'd like to see an addition to Hoenn, like they did with FRLG agree'd but then I'd like Hoenn to maintain it's beauty, it's by far the nicest looking region and I think if they changed it, then it would just ruin it. Maybe a separate island expanding from Battle Frontier.. but no edits to anything in Hoenn, I'm expecting the announcement to be within the next few months (December)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Anyway I'm sick of waiting, every month they say there's a new game possibility but in the end it's a spin off games...
    I somewhat agree with this. It's quite funny really too though. Like most people have said though, they'll probably announce more closer to the 10th anniversary of R/S, which is next year I think.

I'm quite interested in thinking if they'll change the protagonists again, or well the designs. They've done it for Red and Ethan, and seeing as we've got a female protagonist in R/S/E- I don't want them to touch May. >:

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    They will almost certainly have costume re-designs, and Ken Sugimori's drawing style has changed quite a lot since Ruby and Sapphire came out.

ggctuk said:
    DS Compatibility with the 3DS means remakes of Generation 4 or 5 will not be seen for quite a long time (and I get the feeling they'll stick to the cartridge design of the DS/3DS in future DS generations).

I wouldn't be sure of that. Look at the Wii U - it's another disc-based system but Nintendo have not included Gamecube compatibility with it.

Generally, backwards compatibility in games consoles is a feature designed to help promote sales during the system's early days by allowing people to sell their old systems but still play their favourite games for it, until the new console has a strong enough game library to stand on its own.

We've seen that Nintendo aren't afraid to remove the feature, by the DSi not having a GBA slot, because it allows them to cut out one part of the design, which could make the difference when they try and fit the components into smaller case or free up space for new ones (like the DSi's SD cards) - and the more and more generations of compatibility you try to add to a system via hardware, the more complicated it gets.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I somewhat agree with this. It's quite funny really too though. Like most people have said though, they'll probably announce more closer to the 10th anniversary of R/S, which is next year I think.

I'm quite interested in thinking if they'll change the protagonists again, or well the designs. They've done it for Red and Ethan, and seeing as we've got a female protagonist in R/S/E- I don't want them to touch May. >:

That's a good point, I hope they keep Brendan & May and I hope they don't dramatically alternate their image, I understand the costume will be redone and I'd like to see that but as for the rest just keep the same. I'd also like to see Wallys image too, and well.. pretty much all the main characters in the game. I also agree that I'm pretty sure they will announce something either at the end of 2011 or beginning/into 2012 then follow up with a release for late 2012 early 2013.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2013
    A redesign of May and Brendan might not be so bad. I would like something like this for them (minus the leggings|tights on Brendan) and in the Sapphire remake just make the red parts blue and make their bags red so it's opposite sort of like how it is here. It's Like the color and patterns of Groudon (Red with blue pattern) and Kyogre (Blue with red pattern).

Attachments

• Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread
      RS remake image.png
      55.5 KB · Views: 35
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    One of the funnier things that the person who traced those pictures forgot to notice, is that somewhere between 2002 and 2004, Sugimori suddenly stopped drawing his characters with incredibly thick legs.

If you compare
    with
    it's really noticeable (also note how his style went through another major change here). This doesn't apply to the sprites though, as the character sprites in Emerald are just edited ones from Ruby.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • That's true ^

I think they will make some alternations in colour and clothes for the characters definately, I look forward to seeing how they design them.

[FONT=a2f1d45ce8d57d151038a020#4c1900]So this is the line-up for this years annual Japanese Jump Festa which takes place 16th & 17th December 2011. For those of you who don't know, this is an annual exposition about anime, manga etc. and New movies, manga, games, and merchandise are introduced during this event.

This year is the first year that The Pokémon Company will be attending which is intrieguing because by the looks of things they have an important announcement to make, so if it wasn't a big announcement why would they attend? Also, it's the perferct time for revealing the third game/RS Remakes as they both are fitted to be released mid 2012. I mean I could be totally wrong and it could be TV related, but by the looks of things.. I think were in for a big surprise.
    [/FONT]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    A redesign of May and Brendan might not be so bad. I would like something like this for them (minus the leggings|tights on Brendan) and in the Sapphire remake just make the red parts blue and make their bags red so it's opposite sort of like how it is here. It's Like the color and patterns of Groudon (Red with blue pattern) and Kyogre (Blue with red pattern).
    The character design are awesome, I won't mind if it would look like these.
    Also Brendan's name will be changed, like every remake.

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Yeah I've mentioned it before that. Touch May and die!

I proposed that they started at a later age in another timeline because we don't want the same storyline do we? HGSS was boring, but I think they tweaked the storyline a bit? Or maybe May and Brendan are re-starting their journey. Probably the former though.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Well.. if Steven was in HGSS and Cynthia was in BW then I could only assume they will be well obviously Steven but I think Cynthia and N and/or Alder/Ghetis could be around Hoenn somewhere too.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Also Brendan's name will be changed, like every remake.

Why would they do that?

Red has always been called Red. Ethan's name was only changed because he never had an official video game name, and as a counterpart to Lyra they decided to give him a more natural name than 'Gold'. Whereas, Brendan has been a character with a real name since Ruby and Sapphire were made.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back