• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
    Why?

Why do we need to play the exact same game again for the third time running?
    What do we gain from being able to revisit Kanto, when every Kanto Pokémon can already be obtained through playing HG/SS on your new 3DS and DSi system?

Fire Red and Leaf Green are probably the cheapest, and therefore worst Pokémon games they've made. Sure, the game looks pretty for the GBA and the engine works this time, but they made no effort to modernise the rest of the game to the standards of story and design they did with Ruby and Sapphire. Now after Black and White represented a massive jump in the quality of the storytelling they'd look even more bare-bones and archaic today. Trying to do the same thing again with more pretty graphics would be terrible - unless they went back to Red and Blue and redesigned the game to bring them up to the standards of today's games in every other way.

Why would they risk the ire of making something seen as a "remake of a remake" or conversely, a game that needs to be totally remade from scratch to not be seen as a lazy effort, when they could spend that time making games that will be received much better?
    It's been awhile since we talked about this but you are completely wrong. Pokemon FireRed & LeafGreen had heavy sales. In Japan they sold over 2000 copies in the first week of it's release! And if you think it's the most cheapest game out there then you are wrong. If it's the "cheapest game" then how did they get to be 2 of the Players Choice games? I'm just saying that they might make a remake of FireRed & LeafGreen since the graphics are outdated. I'm not saying they will make a remake but one thing for sure I'm 100% positive that they will make Ruby & Sapphire remakes.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    You can't deny that of all of their recent games, FR/LG had the smallest amount of people working on it. It's no stretch to look at them and see that they spent the least amount of money judging by how little new content there is compared to HG/SS, and that they were able to release FR/LG and Emerald in the same year. They still sold less than HG/SS too, and HG/SS cost a lot more due to the Pokéwalker pack-in.

They have too many other games to make to have time to remake Red and Blue again.

blue

gucci
    Years
    It's inevitable for RS remakes, it's just a matter of time really but I do see them being the last unless graphics enhance greatly in 10 years making the DPPT graphics looks shoddy.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    D/P already look ugly to a lot of people, especially because they suffer from "Developers' first attempt at low-quality 3D graphics" syndrome.

Of course they will look even worse in another 5 or 6 years. Seven years ago the DS could boast graphics like a Playstation and the PSP had the potential to rival early PS2 games. Now the 3DS can go toe-to-toe with a Gamecube and the Uncharted game for PS Vita almost looks as good as the original for PS3. Computer technology - especially in small portable devices - is always improving, and the improvements in technology allow developers to make games that were never possible on older systems. Look at Final Fantasy VII, then look at Final Fantasy X. More importantly, look at Diamond and Pearl or Ruby and Sapphire, then look at Gale of Darkness.

Last edited:

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
    You can't deny that of all of their recent games, FR/LG had the smallest amount of people working on it. It's no stretch to look at them and see that they spent the least amount of money judging by how little new content there is compared to HG/SS, and that they were able to release FR/LG and Emerald in the same year. They still sold less than HG/SS too, and HG/SS cost a lot more due to the Pokéwalker pack-in.

They have too many other games to make to have time to remake Red and Blue again.
    I guess your sort of right there (although FR/LG was released a year before Emerald), I believe that Pokemon FireRed & LeafGreen were also 39.99$ due to the Wireless Adapter. Sorry I was overreactive.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    D/P already look ugly to a lot of people, especially because they suffer from "Developers' first attempt at low-quality 3D graphics" syndrome.

Of course they will look even worse in another 5 or 6 years. Computer technology - especially in small portable devices - is always improving, and the improvements in technology allow developers to make games that were never possible on older systems. Look at Final Fantasy VII, then look at Final Fantasy X. More importantly, look at Diamond and Pearl or Ruby and Sapphire, then look at Gale of Darkness.

So you're betting that they would at least have Colosseum/XD graphics, but with a full overworld, etc. this time)? That's what a lot of us are hoping for with the 3DS. It's a little hard to tell though, considering how their 'first attempts syndrome' will probably come into play on the first core game for the 3DS.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
    Wait heres an idea. R/S/E remakes on BOTH 3Ds and the DS. I mean eventually I will get a 3DS but I'm not even old enough for a job yet for another year, so it's at least a year until I buy one. I think they would sell more copies if it was on both systems.
    What do you guys think?
    I don't really see that happening. Remember the problems caused by Twilight Princess being released on both the GameCube and Wii? Nintendo doesn't want another repeat of that.
    It's inevitable for RS remakes, it's just a matter of time really but I do see them being the last unless graphics enhance greatly in 10 years making the DPPT graphics looks shoddy.
    Pokémon graphics haven't really advanced much when you compare them to the generation before, but when you compare 1st and 5th gen games then you start seeing the difference.
    10 years down the line I assume DPPT graphics will be like comparing RSE to BW.
    I have to agree.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    You can also tell that frlg were rushed BC the nontoxic starters were available in emerald. That is the only non remake game in which multiple starter trios are obtainable. And multiple johto Pokemon are only obtainable in emerald in Gen 3 so that showed us that most of emeralds features were added to fix the mistakes of frlg. I would assume the original plan was to have all johto and kanto Pokemon available in frlg but they rushed the game so it did not come out as good as it could have. I think that hgss was such a success because gamefreak took the Christopher Nolan approach to it and took the time to develope it right and make it epic. You see it all the time which movies. Producers rush sequels because the original was a box office hit and then the sequels tend to suck. The dark Knight was such a hit because it came out 4 years later after Batman begins and it was not rushed out just because they want to build on the success. That is what probably happened with frlg. Game freak saw how epic rs was so they rushed a rby remake.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Well now going by the graphics in BW to RSE is like comparing GSC to DPPT in a way which means it's outdated therefore room for a remake I suppose.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I'm replaying DPPt right now and the graphics truly do look ugly after having played BW. I think that graphics do not even have to be outdated to justify remakes, so long as they can be rendered in a different, more aesthetically pleasing style.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    What is exactly is jump festa? Is it basically just comic con for Japan? Has the Pokemon company or gamefreak said any announcements will be made their?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    It's an anime/manga themed expo that is also used by companies like Namco Bandai and Square-Enix for game-related news.

This years' is only notable because The Pokémon Company has a booth there. It's still nothing to get worked up about though because they could announce absolutely anything at it.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    Listen, we know there are going to be remakes. But... would the champion be Steven or Wallace? Wallace was a pushover in Emerald, but if he's not the champion, then he's a gym leader, and Juan gets thrown completely out of the series canon.

I'd say releasing remakes of all three rather than just R/S is a possibility, but it might result in the R/S remakes being considered simply a graphics update. Emerald had so much added into it, so trying to integrate all the non-plot-related changes into R/S remakes could be a problem.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    Check out Serebii, a new Pokemon game was listed for realese in Japan this spring, no details were revealed about this game as to weather It's a spin off game or a main game, more details will come soon!

NOW I REALLY HOPE IT'S The R/S REMAKES!!!

Last edited:

Humm96

Fly little Mockingjay!
    Years
    New Pokémon Game? - Unconfirmed

According to various reports, notably from David Gibson who attended it, during Nintendo's Financial Results Briefing today, a new Pokémon game was listed for release in Japan this Spring. No details were revealed about this game, as to whether it's a spin-off game or a main series gamebut we'll bring details about this game, including confirmation as it's not listed in the details on the official site, as soon as possible.

Last time it was a spin-off game so this HAS to be a main series game! If there's two spin-off games im giving up hope.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back