• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Treasures!

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
Years
  • that crystal cove map is fantastic!!! nice work on that, and you used R/S graphics as well (which makes me even more happy) and the glass house as well is so cool. i will probably have to learn how to do custom graphics yet, also with the shading. even the concrete looks good as well. 10/10 from me (if the graphics were fr/lg, it would be a 9)

Naas02

Cerulean cool trainer
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    DOnt get down on yourself about not being close to the finish line I dont know if you noticed but there havnt exactly been hordes of ready-to-go games flying out of here. I think the main problem is imagination completely taking over logic, building way too much hype around these projects that more than likely will never get finished if one did get finished then alot more would come because we would learn from that. Dont get me wrong Ive seen........4 projects in development right now with solid dev teams and what not but most dont so just keep going. If mapping is what you do then keep mapping until you spark the interest of a programmer. What would be great is if EVERYONE could focus on one project, I think its obvious whose serious and whose not and it may not be a bad idea to focus everyones energy into one thing. I was told it was tried before but that still doesnt mean it wont work.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • Our main problem was overhyping it. At this point, our main keypoint, the online compatability, will be saved for version 2.0, and we're going with one region. A much more realistic goal.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • Taion for build one. Hopho will come later.

Taion's a pretty hefty and diverse region though, so we'll still have our hands full. We're in the early stages of a battle engine and map system, but I don't get most of it so far. Guess that's why I'm not coding XD

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Ok, time for an update from the coding side.
    We've swapped to Java and we're basing it on a game engine called GTGE, which is flexible enough for us by miles. Collision detection and map rendering are almost done (can't go behind things yet). Battle engine, EXP, IVs and pokédex/NaviGear are all in fairly basic stages, but we're progressing nicely now.

At the forums, what we've really ended up doing is streamlining the 'hype' over a game like this. Instead of a thousand n00bs signing up daily going "maik me staf lolz" and the elitist admins going "NO MORE N00BS!" *approved signup only*, the forums are being used for sharing code and images among all staff and any fans dedicated enough to still check. We're not talking about what -will- be in the engine anymore and patting ourselves on the back, we're actually DOING it now.

I'll get Matt to post some screenshots (I haven't got enough posts).

Next build should contain sprite movement and actions/events (like speech), so we'll be releasing a small demo when that's done.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • The new pokédex (inside the NaviGear):
    dex-0402.png

The starting town (haven't quite sorted out water just yet):
    maplewood13-02.png

(This will be broken until BonzaiRob uploads)

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • There won't be black edges, incomplete shadows, little floating pieces of nothing or unfinished water when it's done. I posted the image of the completed map up higher, it looks much prettier,

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • The new pokédex (inside the NaviGear):
    http://ptreasures.net/xfiles/bonzairob/dex-0402.png

The starting town (haven't quite sorted out water just yet):
    http://ptreasures.net/xfiles/bonzairob/maplewood13-02.png
    (This will be broken until BonzaiRob uploads)

There are two issues I have with those screens.

-The Pokedex interface isn't very appealing or Pokemon-esque. In fact, it really stands out that the whole thing was made in Paint. The fonts are very plain, you really should try to use a smaller font for the Pokemon description because, compared to all of the other text, it looks enormous. And the colours aren't very nice either, lighter colours and tones would look much better, in my opinion.

-The second largest trees in the map stand out too much and look way out of place. I suggest removing them or recolouring them the same as the other trees.

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    9 FPS ... ? That's not.. much
    That was when my comp was running at least 9 apps, not including the game itself. It was running at about 80 on FMY's comp (the other programmer).

There are two issues I have with those screens.

-The Pokedex interface isn't very appealing or Pokemon-esque. In fact, it really stands out that the whole thing was made in Paint. The fonts are very plain, you really should try to use a smaller font for the Pokemon description because, compared to all of the other text, it looks enormous. And the colours aren't very nice either, lighter colours and tones would look much better, in my opinion.

-The second largest trees in the map stand out too much and look way out of place. I suggest removing them or recolouring them the same as the other trees.

It's a beta... other than Missingno and the type bars, none of that is final. We're discussing making the screen smaller at the moment.
    The larger fonts are based off Monaco, a font I don't like very much but it suited my purposes at the time (which were to test bitmap fonts). White is FRLG, and blue is one I made that turned out to be almost identical. Size of font? That's intentional. We're working with 640x480, not a GBA; Ninty fonts are WAAY too small, it would seem like NPCs were whispering to you. I use them there because there was a lot of data to fit in.
    As for darkness, that's a PNG-24 with nothing behind it. The black has low opacity, just enough to make white stand out on white. Not that there are any plain white areas in the game. Dunno why the bg didn't show up though, I have a feeling I forgot to put one in :D
    Having said all that, I was going for a raw data kind of feel. So who knows.

The trees are placeholders because I couldn't be bothered to rip the mapper's trees at the time. The shadows are different because we want to put them on grass or rock or whatever without changing the image, that'll happen to the larger trees too. Anyway, the ones on the map are paler.

If you want real, in-game shots, you might be here a while.

Matt should be by soon with our latest screenshot. We've just done the overworld collision-detection and sprite movement (that is, you can properly move the hero around with the arrow keys).
    The Team selection screen has been progressing nicely too. More on this later, perhaps.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise this was an anti-double-post forum. I thought a new post would draw more attention.

Last edited:

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • 2802.png

No, we don't have running water yet. So this is incomplete, but we've gotten up to here with the mapping system. Once the system's working I guess maps will be put together faster by more people. But I don't know much on the programming side of things (I should delegate the leader duties to Bonzai, since I don't do much these days anyways)

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well the mapper MLS has been busy. If you'd like to see some of our maps, visit the thread here:
    -link removed-
    But you'll need to be logged-in.

Collision detection is all done now, you can walk behind the tops of trees and buildings. There's a working teleport script for going into houses. The plot for the first region has been finalised, along with a load of cool secrets and subquests.
    We're bringing in a slightly new system for plot-related quests; because some of the conversations get a bit complicated, all major NPCs will have small portrait icons to go with their speech. A slightly old version is here: [h][t][t][p]//ptreasures.net/xfiles/cuddles/icons2.PNG

What we really need now is XML programmers. If you've ever used HTML, XML is very similar, and much more flexible. Maps, pokemon, save files, and pretty much everything are XML.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Linking to other forums is not allowed... in the game showcase section? Ok.. Apologies, not quite up to speed on this forum's logic (as you can tell).
    Let's try this:
    [h][t][t][p]://ptreasures.net/maps/taion/pkmncom/

Also new screenshot at ptreasures.net, just Hillside Town but it's coded now.

Last edited:
    Back