• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project Alpha Fan [USERS NEEDED]

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
    Well, I decided to do a detailled run through R/B/Y to look for the fastest way through the maps, some tricks to buy some time and to check some other stuff!^^ But I took Yellow since I haven't played it till now and I wanted to fill that gap!^^ I'm currently in Fuchsia City and I'm doing pretty good by now. But I found out I'm a pretty slow player (I bought the Magikarp, trained it and trained the Charmander after I got it, I really spent lots of time to do that...) but I'll still try my best!^^ I found some things that could use us quite a lot:

-You can use Dig/Teleport almost everywhere in Kanto (Dig for buildings, Teleport for outside but you should try Dig outside, too) !^^

-You can buy some time in the route before Rock Tunnel: Just use Cut on the skinny trees at the end of the route instead of walking all the way around and battle the trainer there!^^

-More to come-

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    I found that it is quicker to take the little steps down rather than jumping off ledges. Pretty much insignificantly shorter, but still, if you jump enough ledges, it will make a difference.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    I've got a question for you.
    What is the right amount of trainers to fight, if you don't fight enough your Pokemon won't be strong enough to defeat the Elite Four but if you fight too many it will take too long?

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Well, it completely depends. For example, I feel that I need Charmander to be at as high of a level as possible when I fight Brock, you know, to make the battle as easy as possible. As a result, I battle all three of the trainers in the Viridian Forest. There is a trainer in there that has a Kakuna. It would take so long to kill with scratch, so I need to know Ember by that time. I found what level he learned ember, and how much exp he needed to get to that level. I then made a giant chart with every trainer that I fight, their location, and every pokemon they have accompanied by how much exp I'd get for beating them. From that, I found how much I would need if I took off the exp I get from the previous trainer battles, and found that it would be less than that for killing two wild Pokemon, both at level 3. They can't be level 2 or I wouldn't be getting enough exp, and they can't be level 4 or 5 because it would take more than 3 attacks to kill them.

So to answer your question, there's not really a specific number of trainers to beat. You sorta just have to battle someone in a run, and think "I could beat them if I was a level higher. Would it take more time to beat them and the possible other trainers in the near future, or would it take longer to beat an easier trainer and level up?"

As a side note, obviously know which Pokemon your opponents will have. Try to only battle trainers that you either have to, or ones that you can kill relatively quickly (as in one or two attacks per Pokemon at the beginning of the game, and one attack at the middle through end).

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2010
    Wow, seems like an ambitious task! I'd try and do it aswell, but I don't have R/B/Y... :(

Good luck though!

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    I apologize to all for not participating. I kind of forgot about this thread... :embarassed:

Anyways, I'll get back to trying to beat this record ASAP. I have an original Yellow, and my strategy is to dump the Pikachu for a Nidoran (M) as soon as possible because it's compatible with a lot of moves, plus with Double Kick in the beginning Brock is a joke.

Years
    I'll join I'll join
    I have no other choice but to use emulators(I dont have GB >.<)
    Anyways chosen squirtle and beats Gary
    Now saved and play time is 00:03 ^^

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    Sorry I haven't been active on my most Epic thread(well there are some that rival).

Ok, Spawn Hyuuga, your time will be posted immediately on the board. I hope to hear more progress from you all. In the meantime here is something to think about:

Isn't it amazing how complicated simplification is?

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    It is amazing how complicated simplification is.

Once again sorry for not being too active here lately but I'm a bit busy at the moment and will be for... the foreseeable future (if you want to know why just ask).

I will get back to this eventually but for now I'll just post advice.

1. Pick Bulbasaur as a starter
    2. Another question, let's say for the Elite Four, would it be worth taking the risk of saving time by not buying any items saving a small amount of time or would it be better to spend the time buying items and not risk losing lots of time trying to beat the Elite Four again and again?

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    1. Pick Bulbasaur as a starter
    2. Another question, let's say for the Elite Four, would it be worth taking the risk of saving time by not buying any items saving a small amount of time or would it be better to spend the time buying items and not risk losing lots of time trying to beat the Elite Four again and again?
    Time for super long post with my ideas

My theory is that you can beat the whole game with just a Charizard and Lapras. You would also need a Pidgey for fly, but you can get that at the beginning of the game. Pidgey would be the only Pokemon you would have to catch, because you get the other two as events. If anyone thinks that they have a better set than this, I would love to hear it, and the reasons why. I'm thinking final movesets of:

Charizard: Rock Slide, Flamethrower, Strength, Cut
    Lapras: Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic
    Pidgey: Fly

For the elite four, Lapras is super effective against every single Pokemon with the above moveset except for 2: Loreli's Jynx and your Rival's Alakazam. It can pretty much sweep Loreli with Thunderbolt (except Jynx). Bruno can go down in 2 Surfs and 3 Psychics. Agatha can go down in 4 Psychics and an Ice Beam. Lance can go down in Thunderbolt, Ice, Ice, Surf, Ice. Rival will go down to Ice, ??? Surf, Surf, Ice, Thunderbolt. The ??? is Alakazam.

If you do this in the way described above, you don't have to spend any time switching Pokemon (in battle or out of battle) as Lapras can just destroy the whole elite four (of course, except for the Alakazam and Jynx. So all you need to do is find the minimum level that Lapras can be at in order to kill all of Blue's Pokemon in one hit, and make sure that you structure your battles so that Lapras is at that level by then. Some people might claim that Lapras's stats can and will be different for everybody's elite four, but that's why you kill the same Pokemon every time. Fight as little wild Pokemon as you can, because running into the wrong wild Pokemon or the right one at the wrong level can really mess this up. Do the same for Charizard, although you won't be using him as much at the end, because this Lapras is also super effective against every gym except Lt Surge and Sabrina. Here's an example. I did this a long time ago when I was starting my speed run, so I don't remember the exact numbers for this.

Charmander is obviously not strong against Brock. So, he needs to battle the trainers in the beginning of the game so that he can get to a high enough level to beat Brock. However, the second trainer in Viridian Forest has a Kakuna, who, unless you get lucky, will take like 3 Scratches or more to kill. So, you need ember on Charmander so that he can kill it in one hit. Charmander learns Ember at level 9. If you go to https://pokemon.marriland.com/dp-dex-info.php?mode=exp&exprate=3, which is the growth rate of Charmander showing how much experience he needs to get to every level, you will see that he needs a total of 419 EXP to get to level 9, and he must get that far before you fight the bug catcher that has the Kakuna. Charmander starts with 135 EXP when you get him, so that brings the total needed down to 284. The Catcher has a Weedle (I think) that you fight before the Kakuna. Before that bug catcher, there is another Bug Catcher that you can fight, along with the required Rival battle at the lab. If you add the EXP you get for defeating all of those Pokemon, the number comes down to something really small (it was like 50). For killing either a Pidgey or Rattata at level 3, you get like 27 EXP. So, all you have to do is kill 2 level 3 or higher Pidgey/Rattata in the amount of grass it takes to walk from Pallet to Viridian two times (Note that from Viridian to Pallet, you should use the ledges and avoid the grass). You also have the small area in between Viridian and the Forest. If I didn't run into the required Pokemon by then, I would restart.

This method takes much longer for a couple of reasons. First, you have to carefully go through the game, seeing how much experience you need, and where the easiest places to get it are. I generally try to avoid anybody after like Brock's gym that I couldn't kill in one hit. This will be a pain, because what ends up happening is you battle every trainer, and if you get really close to killing them in one hit, you make a note saying *if I was a level higher, I might be able to one shot them*. Then, you have to look back and see if there are any trainers that you could have faced. If there are, then you have to go back and face them. My advice on this is: use an emulator with save states. If you accidentally save in a spot where you should have done something different on the real game, then you're screwed. If you use save states until you have your strategy worked out, then at least you have up to 10 parts that you can go back to.

The second reason that this way of beating the game takes forever is the number of times you have to reset your game. In my Charmander example, I must have restarted like 50 times trying to run into 2 Pokemon that I could kill in one hit. I guess I really didn't need to, as I wasn't going to actually go for the record until much later. But still, if you kill a Pokemon thinking that it will give you more experience than it actually does, then you're in trouble, because this will mess with the EV's of your Pokemon, and in the long run, you will not have it unless you absolutely need it.

Sorry if this post was too long or confusing. But, I think that this is one of the only sure fire ways that we can beat this record. It will take lots and lots of careful planning. Sure you may hate it right now, but in the long run, it will pay off.

Now I have a few questions. First off, the current record was 1:59 or something like that, correct? I know it was under 2 hours. Did this person do it as an entire run without saving/restarting from various points in the game? Or was it an actual, turn the game on, don't turn it off for 2 straight hours until you beat it without saving. If he saved and reset, do we know the record for the straight run? Because I think that's the one we should shoot for.

Next question, or rather, more of a comment followed by a question. I was thinking, if we really are going to be dedicated to beating this record, I would like to "research" the trainers on every route, and the experience that they give/ the wild pokemon and experience that they give. I started (see Charmander example above), but quit after Brock's gym, because it was taking so long and I had other things I would rather do. But, there are a bunch of people signed up for participation in this. If we all could work together on this, I'm sure it wouldn't be bad at all. There's currently 11 people on ChrisTom's roster, so if all 11 of us tackled a couple of Routes/Cities, it would go by really quick. I would even volunteer to organize it, as I am very good at organization. Tell me if you guys are interested in helping me, and especially if you can come up with a better team than the one I have listed above. Right now, I know that Charmander is a bad pick for the beginning, but he catches up quick to the others. So, again, sorry for such a long post, and tell me if you're interested in helping me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    I'd happily help you. I can't tell you exactly when I'll be done but hopefully at some point in the next 3-4 weeks.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    Time for super long post with my ideas

My theory is that you can beat the whole game with just a Charizard and Lapras. You would also need a Pidgey for fly, but you can get that at the beginning of the game. Pidgey would be the only Pokemon you would have to catch, because you get the other two as events. If anyone thinks that they have a better set than this, I would love to hear it, and the reasons why. I'm thinking final movesets of:

Charizard: Rock Slide, Flamethrower, Strength, Cut
    Lapras: Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic
    Pidgey: Fly

For the elite four, Lapras is super effective against every single Pokemon with the above moveset except for 2: Loreli's Jynx and your Rival's Alakazam. It can pretty much sweep Loreli with Thunderbolt (except Jynx). Bruno can go down in 2 Surfs and 3 Psychics. Agatha can go down in 4 Psychics and an Ice Beam. Lance can go down in Thunderbolt, Ice, Ice, Surf, Ice. Rival will go down to Ice, ??? Surf, Surf, Ice, Thunderbolt. The ??? is Alakazam.

If you do this in the way described above, you don't have to spend any time switching Pokemon (in battle or out of battle) as Lapras can just destroy the whole elite four (of course, except for the Alakazam and Jynx. So all you need to do is find the minimum level that Lapras can be at in order to kill all of Blue's Pokemon in one hit, and make sure that you structure your battles so that Lapras is at that level by then. Some people might claim that Lapras's stats can and will be different for everybody's elite four, but that's why you kill the same Pokemon every time. Fight as little wild Pokemon as you can, because running into the wrong wild Pokemon or the right one at the wrong level can really mess this up. Do the same for Charizard, although you won't be using him as much at the end, because this Lapras is also super effective against every gym except Lt Surge and Sabrina. Here's an example. I did this a long time ago when I was starting my speed run, so I don't remember the exact numbers for this.

Charmander is obviously not strong against Brock. So, he needs to battle the trainers in the beginning of the game so that he can get to a high enough level to beat Brock. However, the second trainer in Viridian Forest has a Kakuna, who, unless you get lucky, will take like 3 Scratches or more to kill. So, you need ember on Charmander so that he can kill it in one hit. Charmander learns Ember at level 9. If you go to https://pokemon.marriland.com/dp-dex-info.php?mode=exp&exprate=3, which is the growth rate of Charmander showing how much experience he needs to get to every level, you will see that he needs a total of 419 EXP to get to level 9, and he must get that far before you fight the bug catcher that has the Kakuna. Charmander starts with 135 EXP when you get him, so that brings the total needed down to 284. The Catcher has a Weedle (I think) that you fight before the Kakuna. Before that bug catcher, there is another Bug Catcher that you can fight, along with the required Rival battle at the lab. If you add the EXP you get for defeating all of those Pokemon, the number comes down to something really small (it was like 50). For killing either a Pidgey or Rattata at level 3, you get like 27 EXP. So, all you have to do is kill 2 level 3 or higher Pidgey/Rattata in the amount of grass it takes to walk from Pallet to Viridian two times (Note that from Viridian to Pallet, you should use the ledges and avoid the grass). You also have the small area in between Viridian and the Forest. If I didn't run into the required Pokemon by then, I would restart.

This method takes much longer for a couple of reasons. First, you have to carefully go through the game, seeing how much experience you need, and where the easiest places to get it are. I generally try to avoid anybody after like Brock's gym that I couldn't kill in one hit. This will be a pain, because what ends up happening is you battle every trainer, and if you get really close to killing them in one hit, you make a note saying *if I was a level higher, I might be able to one shot them*. Then, you have to look back and see if there are any trainers that you could have faced. If there are, then you have to go back and face them. My advice on this is: use an emulator with save states. If you accidentally save in a spot where you should have done something different on the real game, then you're screwed. If you use save states until you have your strategy worked out, then at least you have up to 10 parts that you can go back to.

The second reason that this way of beating the game takes forever is the number of times you have to reset your game. In my Charmander example, I must have restarted like 50 times trying to run into 2 Pokemon that I could kill in one hit. I guess I really didn't need to, as I wasn't going to actually go for the record until much later. But still, if you kill a Pokemon thinking that it will give you more experience than it actually does, then you're in trouble, because this will mess with the EV's of your Pokemon, and in the long run, you will not have it unless you absolutely need it.

Sorry if this post was too long or confusing. But, I think that this is one of the only sure fire ways that we can beat this record. It will take lots and lots of careful planning. Sure you may hate it right now, but in the long run, it will pay off.

Now I have a few questions. First off, the current record was 1:59 or something like that, correct? I know it was under 2 hours. Did this person do it as an entire run without saving/restarting from various points in the game? Or was it an actual, turn the game on, don't turn it off for 2 straight hours until you beat it without saving. If he saved and reset, do we know the record for the straight run? Because I think that's the one we should shoot for.

Next question, or rather, more of a comment followed by a question. I was thinking, if we really are going to be dedicated to beating this record, I would like to "research" the trainers on every route, and the experience that they give/ the wild pokemon and experience that they give. I started (see Charmander example above), but quit after Brock's gym, because it was taking so long and I had other things I would rather do. But, there are a bunch of people signed up for participation in this. If we all could work together on this, I'm sure it wouldn't be bad at all. There's currently 11 people on ChrisTom's roster, so if all 11 of us tackled a couple of Routes/Cities, it would go by really quick. I would even volunteer to organize it, as I am very good at organization. Tell me if you guys are interested in helping me, and especially if you can come up with a better team than the one I have listed above. Right now, I know that Charmander is a bad pick for the beginning, but he catches up quick to the others. So, again, sorry for such a long post, and tell me if you're interested in helping me.

Holy. Crap.

*jaw drops to the floor*

I am not mad in the least bit at that post myrrham! That was FANTASTIC!! I am glad to see such thorough planning.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Yeah, see, I'm really good at planning things like this. Whenever I make a team on any version, I make it first, and document it. I have a giant list of teams on Notepad. I just don't like the Unknown (or the Unown).

I am going on vacation this week with a bunch of my friends, but I can assure you all that as soon as I get back, it will be Alpha Time.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
    I'd also surely help you with it, myrrhman.

I would also be happy to join this project. I'll start on Blue after some planning.

Even though many people recommend Bulbasaur as the starter, I would recommend using Squirtle as then you can defeat most leaders easily. Brock is toast with Water Gun, Misty can be defeated with Bite, Lt. Surge is cakewalk with a 100 powered Dig (yeah man Dig is broken in Gen I. a 100 powered move before Misty?), you can get Ice Beam before Erika with what Erika is easy, then Koga is easy with Dig again, just defeat Sabrina with Surf or something then easily blast Blaine and Giovanni with Surf.

As myrrhman said, Lapras is extremely useful against the E4, so you can get one from the Silph Co. from the E4. The game seems easy with Lapras and Blastoise, and since that Charmander scenario seems complicated (also Misty will be very hard with only Charmander), you can just pick Squirtle to avoid the complication (and defeat Misty rather easily) and try to beat the record time.

Just my 2 cents.

Back