• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonists

Prefer the guy, or the girl?

• Total voters

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
Years
  • The male trainer looks tight, and the female trainer looks cute lol. I'm probably going to buy both versions and play as both of them. I can't decide which to choose ._. (First time buying both versions too)

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    To be honest, I like them both. I don't see why people are getting on the girls sense of fashion and her hair. Being "unique" is smexy.

The guy...I just love his design. It makes him have that teenish look. The clothes are pretty awesome as well. They remind me of Ash's clothes from the anime. However, I still prefer the male character design in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

The girl...just love the hair and the stance gives her that edge of confidence xD. She lloks as young as the other protagonists but that's ok. One thing that's killing me is the way her legs are drawn x.x.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I don't like the girl at all. Something's just... off about her. ):
    Boy is alright, though. Not in my favor but better than the girl.

I hope with the maturity of the players, maybe we'll get a more mature plot and stuff. Just maybe.

Redrup

The Gentleman
    Years
  • Both look alright. I'm always more interested in the designs and sprites for the Pokémon rather than the trainers themselves.

I'll be going with the male, as usual. No complaints about either design though. :)

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
    Years
  • The boy looks good, the best design by far. And the girl is just rockin!! I wanna play as her...but Imma dude x_x
    I do think they should look more fashion-forward though...

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
  • The male one is at least with the time... He looks like a normal old-teen (so like 16-??) boy around the corner.

The girl... Ahm yeah =D Interesting hairs and weird shorts but still she looks mature and not childish.

I like both designes but "I like pie." was more catchy to select =D

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Frankly, I like both of their designs. They do look older, and their clothes is like for a teenagers, especially the Female.

For the Male, I'd definitely choose him. Sure, he's the standard typical protagonist. I think he kinda resembled Brendan. Simple clothes but the style is awesome. I'm just surprised about his hair. Seriously, doesn't anyone feel like cutting it? We have spiky hair (Brendan), over the top bangs (Gold) but his hair was really unexpected. Isn't it a little too long?

For the Female, I was like wtf. She's completely different from the previous girls. Compared to Lyra, who's style is really, really childish (Check the bow on her hat), this protagonist's style is off the hook! Punk is not dead! Out of all female protagonist, she definitely stands out. Her hair, is like, on top of her hat! Her sprite's hair was like, also big. It's going to be funny choosing her as a choosing her as the player. It's kinda like Lucas with the beret. Extreme. Her shorts are also like, wow. May's biking tights is sooooo Gen 3.

Overall I'm kinda please with the design. If I had to guess their age, about 15-16? I mean, what parent want their 14 year old daughter going around the region with shorts that short? Can't wait for the rival although I don't have high hopes. Rivals are usually plain looking.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I haven't been too fond of ant protagonists like I am these ones. The only generation that comes close to my enthusiam for good protagonists would be the 3rd with May and Brendan. I wasn't too font of any of the other too be quite frank.

I love how the boy looks, he seems calm yet eager, hungry for adventure yet not too hasty. I've never been one to get excited about how trainer art looks but for B&W, I'm looking forward to using these guys.

As for the girl, I guess you could comment on the shortness of the skirt but really, Dawn had done it a few years ago but at least this time the girl is somewhat more old and not 10 like Dawn was. She seems to be a tom-boy if I could sterotype her in anyway but that's a good thing for a protagonist. She does look more like a pokemon trainer and not so frilly like the female hero's we had in the past. I never could imagine Dawn taking on Team Galactic all on her own.

Quite pleased with them I must say, an improvement and a slighty more mature approach at making hero's, these guys seem more suited and the fact that they're older doesn't let me question some aspects of letting a 10 year old explore the world and take on evil teams etc.

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
    Years
  • Personally, I wanted to give the girl a try, but I dont know, I'm not a huge fan of how she looks; plus I might look like a perv choosing her, unfortunately.

So I'm going with the male protagonist.

Sorry i don't follow... How does liking the girl design make you a perv? I like, and will probably use the girl when the game comes out

SiReNzZ

I ♥ Misty.
    Years
  • In previous Pokémon games I always pick the male as I am male myself but I gotta say both look great for this next gen and I think perhaps many male gamers wouldn't mind picking the female as the dessign is quite good :)

Only thing I would change is : The female's boots to something a little more feminine

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    In previous Pokémon games I always pick the male as I am male myself but I gotta say both look great for this next gen and I think perhaps many male gamers wouldn't mind picking the female as the dessign is quite good :)

Only thing I would change is : The female's boots to something a little more feminine

I would only pick the girl design because the boy design is just dumb looking.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Whoever had a problem with the girl's legs is absolutely right. Look at the size of her calves! If she is supposed to be 16 years old like we speculate, there is no way her legs should be that muscular.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I voted for the guy, primarily because I am one and that is who I will play as. The girl looks great too, but she doesn't appeal to me.

Personally, I like how they look older compared to the previous protaganists and I'll be able to connect to them more, since they're closer to my age.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2010
    ok who else thinks that these protagonists look nothing alike? I mean the male has a long sleeve jacket and the girl is wearing a no sleeve vest. The male wears long legged pants the girl wears short ass shorts. At least the rest of them kinda matched

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Both of them look cool, but I would pick the guy because of my gender.

Back