• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Psp

Brittany

Back?
Years
  • DarkLink said:
    Actually, I don't think Wipeout Pure's makers actually made that feature for us to actually use, I think it may have been an update they were waiting to have us download or somthing, yet there is a way, so it is still a glitch, sorta.
    It was there to download extras and stuff, it's a really primitive, simple browser though. I'm hoping for a network update.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • DarkLink said:
    Yeah, I think a network update will happen eventually XD
    Yeah, there are a couple simple changes I wish they would have implemented beforehand. Like the menu screen should come up before the UMD loads and the game starts, because then you have to waste an extra 10-15 seconds waiting for it to unload and then load the main menu. I think the background color shouldn't be month based either, and they really need to get an internet browser going. Infact, that could give PSP it's 5th function on the main menu too(not counting the settings grid).

If they did decide to do that, they could also make more dough by releasing an internet browser pack. A UMD for the browser installation, 128MB memory stick duo for downloads, mini USB keyboard, maybe(this is a dumb longshot idea anyway) even support for flash-based sites, etc.

But there's a possibility they're just waiting it out for PSP2 also. Another possible feature I think they'll wait out is streaming online video, and possibly even a local television show to the PSP. Two more functions on the grid are really worth waiting out for to Sony, because many people are already wowed by it's current features, and they'll need a strong selling point for the successor to PSP.

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    Brittany said:
    Yeah, there are a couple simple changes I wish they would have implemented beforehand. Like the menu screen should come up before the UMD loads and the game starts, because then you have to waste an extra 10-15 seconds waiting for it to unload and then load the main menu.

That is the biggest change they need to make. That annoys me so much.....

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • I think PSP should have had a small harddrive to ease loading times on high end games. That would also mean more battery life, because it would read UMDs less too. For example, when you start the game, it gives you a choice to load a small or large amount of data onto the harddrive, which means a longer initial load, but less time with all the other ones.(it takes 30+ seconds to load when entering a new area on Untold Legends)

But then again, PSPs lose dough per system sold as it is. That's probably why it comes with accessories that take up about $70 of the price :\

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • I think Sony should take something from Nintendo (the DS and SP) and make their Lithium ion battery hold the charge a little longer then like 6 hours. I hate that I have to charge it every night (I never had to do it with my DS, and my SP). Sure the screen is larger, but that's no excuse. The DS has two screens but the battery life is still long.

I'll edit later to add more. XD

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • Arcanine said:
    I think Sony should take something from Nintendo (the DS and SP) and make their Lithium ion battery hold the charge a little longer then like 6 hours. I hate that I have to charge it every night (I never had to do it with my DS, and my SP). Sure the screen is larger, but that's no excuse. The DS has two screens but the battery life is still long.

I'll edit later to add more. XD
    I also really hate it too... I have to spend at least 7 seconds, but sometimes almost 15 getting out of my bed and plugging my PSP in >.<
    *ish kidding*

I don't think it's really a problem, but it may be pleasing to you, to know that Sony is working on a higher capacity battery. Really, PSP's energy is drained from high CPU usage+Disc Reading. I think Sony has a valid excuse on this one, the only way to shorten loading times(and mutually reduce battery drain) would be to add a harddrive. Incase you don't know, PSP gets barely any profit on it's own, which may be why PSP is sold only in the value pack as of now, charging you $70 for items that cost a minimal amount to Sony, but might be a good deal to the average consumer.

There was once a rumor about PSP having a 50GB harddrive version in 2006, but that was quickly killed when people found that the real statement was something like "If we added a 50GB harddrive, it would own iPods"(something like that)

In short, there were attempts, and are attempts to solve the problem, but no cookies for now.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Brittany said:
    I also really hate it too... I have to spend at least 7 seconds, but sometimes almost 15 getting out of my bed and plugging my PSP in >.<
    *ish kidding*

I don't think it's really a problem, but it may be pleasing to you, to know that Sony is working on a higher capacity battery. Really, PSP's energy is drained from high CPU usage+Disc Reading. I think Sony has a valid excuse on this one, the only way to shorten loading times(and mutually reduce battery drain) would be to add a harddrive. Incase you don't know, PSP gets barely any profit on it's own, which may be why PSP is sold only in the value pack as of now, charging you $70 for items that cost a minimal amount to Sony, but might be a good deal to the average consumer.

There was once a rumor about PSP having a 50GB harddrive version in 2006, but that was quickly killed when people found that the real statement was something like "If we added a 50GB harddrive, it would own iPods"(something like that)

In short, there were attempts, and are attempts to solve the problem, but no cookies for now.
    Well if they stuck an HD in it then the price would go way up, the size of the system would be larger then it is now (I like it the way it is XD).

*Goes back to what he was typing before* I also wish Sony was smart enough to have the opening menu stay open like it does with the DS. The best way I've found is to open the UMD disk drive before turning on the PSP. That way the game (if in there) doesn't have ot load and when it gets done you go back into it.

And I really dislike the monthly color thing. I really like it the dark blue or the red (December I might add XD) background. It would have been better off to have it like the DS where you can pick the color you want. And it would have been nice if the PSP would let you be able to set a pic for the background. Like if you had a pic of your favorite pet or something you could set it as the PSP menu screen.

And I really wish you could hook up the PSP to the PS2. I'm sure everyone would have liked to play their PSP games on the big TV.

Other then them few things I love the PSP. I'll get a 512 memory stick so I can download some more songs to it (when I get the PSP paid off XD). And most likely get a 1 gig for my birthday (maybe a 2 gig if it's out by then, but it's most likely going to be around 300 bucks, more then the PSP it self).

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
  • i kind of owned a PSP for a week.................i found one at school, and rather turning it in to the principle (who would have the owner's parents call in to give it back), i kept it and asked around to see who lost it. i ended up keeping it for a week before the owner came to me for it. he had it in a carrying case, containing the spiderman2 movie, the hockey game, and twisted metal (o yeah, and a charger and memory stick). its just my opinion, but i only played it for 2 days.

I tried it out first with the dvd, and when i was thinking it was cool, i realized that it was pointless - most companies won't make extra copies of their movies for a game system that can play the movies at an average resolution, when they can mass produce dvd's and have people with portable dvd players buy them (cheaper, too, for both ends). neat, but not all that usable in the future.

Then i tried out the twisted metal game, which was pretty fun. i was a huge fan of vigilante8 2 on the n64, so i like car shooting games. the graphics were pretty good, but i didn't like the controls (esp. that mini analog stick). overall, though, pretty fun.

Next i tried out the hockey game, and was disappointed. it shattered my image of the "perfect PSP graphics" that is so heavily advertised. at some points, i felt the graphics were no better than the DS. (the close up graphics were poor, like when i was shooting at the goalie). teh controls again were very bad, but the game was pretty fun.

Finally, i tried out the infamous downloading songs and movies. the song dl'ign was pretty cool, but i couldn't even fit a single movie on the stinking memory card. and if i could, it would be a 15 sec., crappy quality clip. it was not at all what it was advertized to be. and also, if i wanted to listen to music, i would use my mp3 player, and i could also play my DS at the same time (unless it allowed you to play songs while playing games, i could never figure it out).

On friday the kid found me and i gave it back. my family went out to the mall that day and i stopped in EBX. I found that not only are the PSP games more expensive, but the memory cards price were OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is no way you could fit a good quality movie, songs, and game save on one of those, and who would pay 60-70 bucks to watch a movie on a handheld?

So basically, it was not my cup of tea. Cool idea, and the graphics are [slightly] better than the DS, but a hard drive is what it needs to be a lot better. plus, i'd rather not have to buy memory cards and save my money for games. plus, i really like the innovative touch screen and pictochat. nice idea, and it does look really cool, but i'll stick to my DS. (sorry to anyone who is a PSP fanatic and is offended by my post)

Years
  • Brittany said:
    $250 is Sony's bundle's price. That's why they say 'value pack' and not 'standard'. Funny that you run in here trying to refute someone while being rude, and you're the one who's wrong.

At the moment, the value pack is all that is being sold in America, so he was right. In the near future, I think it will be sold alone once again, which is when I'll waste my money on it, because I really don't care for any of those extras, especially when I'll be buying a memory card with much more space, 2GB, or possibly even more if they have a higher end memory card by then.

dude the psp comes with that "bundle"...i was talking bout bundle as with like games and stuff at like ebgames and them...so you can shut the hell up, cuz you didnt know what i was talking bout.

ravenstorture

Banned
    Years
  • The PSP is awesome. I got it like 5 days ago, and I haven't been able to put it down.
    I was originally wanting an IPod, but once my neighbor got his PSP, and saw that it can do everything an IPod can do, plus more, I decided I wanted one, and my dad got me one.
    I dont' see what the whole argument over the new MP4 format for movies is. Just get PSP Video 9. It automatically converts any movie file and then sends it to your PSP.

I currently don't have any games, because I got a larger memory card instead of a game, but I want Tales of Eternia. Is it even out yet? o.O;

I've played both DS and PSP and PSP wins hands down, IMO.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • awkwardsilencer stay out of this thread. You have nothing to add and only flame and think you know everything so don't post in this thread anymore.
    No one reply to awkwardsilencer because he isn't worth your time.

Well I tried PSP Video 9. And when I used it to put Deep Dive on my PSP the sound was off about a second or 2 (it was slower then the movie). So that really let me down (it was the only mini-movie I tried because it's the only one that would fit on my 32MB memory stick so it might just be Deep Dive, I hope it's just Deep Dive). And on top of that it screwed with my computer settings. So I just deleted it (everything isn't set back the way it was I might add) and I might get it again once I get a 512MB memory stick.

And using the PSP as an I-Pod isn't a half bad idea (I'm using it as an I-Pod XD). Sure the PSP isn't as small as a thin I-Pod but you can do far more with it. And you can buy memory sticks if one is maxed out and so on.

And now there are two PSPs under this roof. My brother got his PSP last night. So I am very very happy he got his. Now I don't have to wait till he gets done playing my PSP till I can use it. XD

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • PiroMunkie said:
    That's weird. PSP Video 9 hasn't done anything to my laptop and all the videos I put onto it are perfect. o.O;
    I need to get some money before I can get another memory card.
    Well then it might be Deep Dive (for the movies that mess up). If so then I'll be happy. But then again I have no movies (as in like Spider Man 2) on the computer so I can't put any on my PSP (I just got trailers for games). I'll just have to try it again once I get a larger memory stick.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Dude you know how long it would take to download something on dialup? XD
    (I downloaded a 64MB trailer of FFVII: AC and it took over 3 hours to download it, and the sick thing is when it got done it wouldn't play the sound XD)

If it was a Pokemon ep then yea I would put something like that on my PSP (if I had the larger stick and if I was going somewhere). But I don't care for music videos or trailers of anything. Just maybe a card with 1 or 2 good movies on it (if 512 will hold 2).

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • cmatz0 said:
    i kind of owned a PSP for a week.................i found one at school, and rather turning it in to the principle (who would have the owner's parents call in to give it back), i kept it and asked around to see who lost it. i ended up keeping it for a week before the owner came to me for it. he had it in a carrying case, containing the spiderman2 movie, the hockey game, and twisted metal (o yeah, and a charger and memory stick). its just my opinion, but i only played it for 2 days.

I tried it out first with the dvd, and when i was thinking it was cool, i realized that it was pointless - most companies won't make extra copies of their movies for a game system that can play the movies at an average resolution, when they can mass produce dvd's and have people with portable dvd players buy them (cheaper, too, for both ends). neat, but not all that usable in the future.

Then i tried out the twisted metal game, which was pretty fun. i was a huge fan of vigilante8 2 on the n64, so i like car shooting games. the graphics were pretty good, but i didn't like the controls (esp. that mini analog stick). overall, though, pretty fun.

Next i tried out the hockey game, and was disappointed. it shattered my image of the "perfect PSP graphics" that is so heavily advertised. at some points, i felt the graphics were no better than the DS. (the close up graphics were poor, like when i was shooting at the goalie). teh controls again were very bad, but the game was pretty fun.

Finally, i tried out the infamous downloading songs and movies. the song dl'ign was pretty cool, but i couldn't even fit a single movie on the stinking memory card. and if i could, it would be a 15 sec., crappy quality clip. it was not at all what it was advertized to be. and also, if i wanted to listen to music, i would use my mp3 player, and i could also play my DS at the same time (unless it allowed you to play songs while playing games, i could never figure it out).

On friday the kid found me and i gave it back. my family went out to the mall that day and i stopped in EBX. I found that not only are the PSP games more expensive, but the memory cards price were OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is no way you could fit a good quality movie, songs, and game save on one of those, and who would pay 60-70 bucks to watch a movie on a handheld?

So basically, it was not my cup of tea. Cool idea, and the graphics are [slightly] better than the DS, but a hard drive is what it needs to be a lot better. plus, i'd rather not have to buy memory cards and save my money for games. plus, i really like the innovative touch screen and pictochat. nice idea, and it does look really cool, but i'll stick to my DS. (sorry to anyone who is a PSP fanatic and is offended by my post)
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but those are perfect graphics. The reason of why it didn't show up as nicely as you wish, is that the screen is small. How many colors do you want each pixel to hold? The best thing developers can do is to change the veiwing angles and keep graphics on PSP dynamic. Getting the CPU back to normal speed(it's underclocked) will give a couple more fps, if thats what you want, but there's not much Sony, nor anyone can do about it.

Oh yeah Andy, 512 will hold one high quality movie with some space left over, or about two decent quality ones. I advise you to wait two or three months before buying one though, the prices will probably drop dramatically, as the 1GB High Speed and 2GB High Speed memory stick pro duos see more distribution. I just returned my 512 about an hour ago.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • PiroMunkie said:
    When are the 2 GB coming out?
    Already released, but they have barely any in local retail stores. I think it'll be a month before they get on the shelves.

The lowest price I've seen for one of them is $349 though. Because of the little file managment system on the MSDuos though, they actually hold about 1.8GB.

Oh yes, 1GB ones actually hold about .9GB, and 512MB ones hold about 460MB

Back