• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
  • This actually belongs on one of the Pokemon Games boards, but since you've already created the thread, I might as well answer. Pokemon will refuse vitamins if their EVs in the associated stat has been maxed out. Your Empoleon and Sudowoodo's potential speed has probably been raised as much as it can be.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • This definitely goes in the games forums...

Anyways, my knowledge of game mechanics is weak, especially in D/P, but you're pokemon probably have maxed speed EV's, meaning that Carbos (which essentially add +4 EV to their speed stat) do nothing.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Just to add on, if Carbos does max 100 EVs in Speed stat (that is 10 of them), no more. If this was your first Carbos you used on them, then you have 246 to 252 Speed EVs.

Quick Breeding question: Two Porygon2's with Recover, Discharge and Recycle. Will their moves pass on to a baby Porygon(since they are genderless)?
    I am pretty sure that only egg moves are passed down, and Porygon has no egg moves (which I saw on Bulbapedia and a few other sites). Although I could be mistaken.
    still want to know if i can get Pikachu Coloured Pichu
    Too soon to tell as the event just started today in Japan, and the event hasn't been announced in that country yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
  • Too soon to tell as the event just started today in Japan, and the event hasn't been announced in that country yet.
    good point i hope it will come to Australia (if not it will be another thing programed into a Pokemon game that Australians are not able to access)

Alec_

Years
  • how do you get egg moves like thunder fang for houndour
    I think you need Heart Scale. Near Pastoria. Or You'll have to breed it on it by having a male pokemon that already knows thunder fang. But im not sure about this. But you can try it. i hope this works! XD;;

~Fairytales.

Years
  • WI-FI events

hi
    i havnt got platnum yet because my DS is brocken so will the wi-fi events that i miss run again.
    i realy want a fridge rotom

dragonarche

Is back :D
    Years
  • hi
    i havnt got platnum yet because my DS is brocken so will the wi-fi events that i miss run again.

Hope fully since there hasn't been a US event yet
    iam saving up my money to buy a dsi and a copy of pokemon heart
    gold as soon as it comes out in japan so i dont miss any events

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    This actually belongs on one of the Pokemon Games boards, but since you've already created the thread, I might as well answer. Pokemon will refuse vitamins if their EVs in the associated stat has been maxed out. Your Empoleon and Sudowoodo's potential speed has probably been raised as much as it can be.

This definitely goes in the games forums...

Anyways, my knowledge of game mechanics is weak, especially in D/P, but you're pokemon probably have maxed speed EV's, meaning that Carbos (which essentially add +4 EV to their speed stat) do nothing.

Just to add on, if Carbos does max 100 EVs in Speed stat (that is 10 of them), no more. If this was your first Carbos you used on them, then you have 246 to 252 Speed EVs.

Correction: Pokemon will only accept vitamins until the selected stat has at least 100 EVs supplied to it, not until it is maxed out. So, if those Pokemon have been used in enough battles to already have 100 Speed EVs or more, then they will not take any Carbos.

how do you get egg moves like thunder fang for houndour

Either breed a female Houndour with a male Luxray or Jolteon that knows Thunder Fang or evolve it into a Houndoom and teach it Thunder Fang through the Move Tutor in Pastoria City.

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    Correction: Pokemon will only accept vitamins until the selected stat has at least 100 EVs supplied to it, not until it is maxed out. So, if those Pokemon have been used in enough battles to already have 100 Speed EVs or more, then they will not take any Carbos.
    It's about time someone answered that question correctly -_-...kudos!

You can either answer my previous question or my new one; the old one will keep returning, by the way.

How do you calculate the stat increase gained from Cherrim's ability? Just doubled, or...?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    It's about time someone answered that question correctly -_-...kudos!

You can either answer my previous question or my new one; the old one will keep returning, by the way.

How do you calculate the stat increase gained from Cherrim's ability? Just doubled, or...?

Well, I honestly have no idea about your earlier question aside from the obvious answer of not sending out two Shiny Pokemon at once anymore, but Cherrim's ability Flower Gift should only increase the stats of its partner by one stage, which translates into a 1.5x boost.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • hi

Well, you could always see if you can find someone with that Event Wonder Card still on their game and ask them if you could copy it over. I did this with my Japanese Platinum, so I didn't have to wait for the Key on my US version. Other than that, its possible that the Events will be released later, as was evidenced with Japan's second release of the Secret Key Event, but as to if they will give that option to the international players, who knows... your best bet is to find someone with the Wonder Card already that can transfer it to you. The only downside is, you won't be able to do the same with that particular Wonder Card.

Anyway, you could go and discuss the possibility of them being re-released in the Events Discussion thread. But as for this thread, I'll merge it with the Q&A Thread, just in case you'd like a few more responses.

Merges with Quick Q&A Thread~

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009

Well, you could always see if you can find someone with that Event Wonder Card still on their game and ask them if you could copy it over. I did this with my Japanese Platinum, so I didn't have to wait for the Key on my US version. Other than that, its possible that the Events will be released later, as was evidenced with Japan's second release of the Secret Key Event, but as to if they will give that option to the international players, who knows... your best bet is to find someone with the Wonder Card already that can transfer it to you. The only downside is, you won't be able to do the same with that particular Wonder Card.

It should be noted that legitimately transferring the Wonder Card will only work over local wireless, so asking someone on this forum for help will do no good unless that person happens to live nearby.

Noel

Ghost Pokemon Trainer.
    Years
  • How it works?

I've seen a lot of people with wi-fi codes in their sig and stuff. People talking about battling/trading but I never really figured out how to do all of that, honestly I don't even know what wi-fi is.. So if anyone had the time to explain it to me that would be really nice. Please and thanx.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
  • Is the Platinum GTS separate from the D/P one? Yesterday I tried to trade something from my Pearl to my Platinum and when I searched for it the Pkmn didn't show up in the Platinum GTS. I went back and checked my Pearl and sure enough it was still there, nobody had taken it. Can I just not get Pkmn from D/P over the GTS?

Rosepuggins

Master Trainer
    Years
  • Hunting Strategy Question

Hello, this is my first post on this site. I have a question about a hunting strategy I've had excellent success with since Yellow version, that I've been told doesn't work. When looking for the hardest to find Pokemon in the field, they usually won't appear until I put someone in the lead who has a type vulnerability to the Pokemon I'm seeking. Then immediately almost every other Pokemon is the one I'm looking for; I rarely have to spend more than a few minutes finding my prey. I'm hunting at the same time of day, so I know the time change isn't affecting my capture time. Has anyone else tried this strategy? Does it work, or am I just the luckiest trainer you'll ever meet? Please do let me know your results if you've given it a try.

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    @Rosepuggins-I don't know about the first gen, but, for the current time, it's gotta be a wives' tale. However, abilities such as Magnet Pull attract Electric types (I'm pretty sure). Flame Body might attract Fires, but don't quote me...

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Hello, this is my first post on this site. I have a question about a hunting strategy I've had excellent success with since Yellow version, that I've been told doesn't work. When looking for the hardest to find Pokemon in the field, they usually won't appear until I put someone in the lead who has a type vulnerability to the Pokemon I'm seeking. Then immediately almost every other Pokemon is the one I'm looking for; I rarely have to spend more than a few minutes finding my prey. I'm hunting at the same time of day, so I know the time change isn't affecting my capture time. Has anyone else tried this strategy? Does it work, or am I just the luckiest trainer you'll ever meet? Please do let me know your results if you've given it a try.

Nope, that doesn't work. It's dumb luck if you ask me.

@Templekeeper: Flame Body (and Magma Armor) decrease the number of steps you need to to take to hatch and egg by 45%. Magnet Pull attracts Steel types, not Electric types. That would be Static. I'm gonna do some research and I'll edit this with all the abilities that attract a pokémon.

Back