• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    Several times when chaining I lose the chain for no reason when walking through the grass. Losing a chain because of this after 35 is very frustrating.
    Does that happen to everyone? Right after the battle it will show the pathches that shake and when I am walking to reset the pokeradar, it ends. UGH

Years
  • Happened to me a couple of times. You need to be quick in getting those 50 or less steps as well as not straying too far from where you were last chaining or else your chain will end early. Those are my observations anyway.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    Happened to me a couple of times. You need to be quick in getting those 50 or less steps as well as not straying too far from where you were last chaining or else your chain will end early. Those are my observations anyway.

aaah. Im new to this chaining thing and im working my way along..slowly getting higher and higher. I heard its easier to chain swarm pokemon, but today they were in a bad spot..so went looking for anything around the first 2 towns..

M i n a t o //

Listen to the Stereo
    Years
  • 1) Does Flame Body and that other ability that speeds up hatching stack? ie. Having one pokemon with Flame Body in your party and another one that has the other ability.
    2)Just wanted to see if anyone can answer this, exactly why is Gyarados also considered a Flying type?

Years
  • 1. Since abilities with secondary, in-field effects only work when the Pokemon is 1st in the Party, no, they don't stack. Other ability is Magma Armor, btw.
    2. I blame the anime.

Kudra

IV breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    I think Gyarados is flying type because its character model is based on some myth that involved a flying water serpent or something.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    does the pickup ability work after trainer battles, like the elite 4?
    or just against wild pokemon?

Years
  • It's description on other web sites say that it has a 10% chance to pick up and item after each battler and I've had it happen to me before, so I'll say yes, it does work after trainer battles.

Elena

¦:-]
    Years
  • What is the item called "TinyMushroom" and what is it for/what does it do? I checked Serebii, but I didn't see it on the item list.

Years
  • What is the item called "TinyMushroom" and what is it for/what does it do? I checked Serebii, but I didn't see it on the item list.
    I think it doesn't do anything in the game. But im not quite sure. Maybe it enchance a certain type of Pokemon. That's what i think.

-Ashley Tisdale.

Chibaymega12

Enemies of the Leaf Beware!
    Years
  • I was just EV training my Larvitar. I was using the power weight and pokerus to make the Ev's earned 10 (I was training against Bidoofs). I kept track, and I earned 86 HP Evs. But, when I went to go give it an HP Up (Planning to give it 9 for a total of 176), it wouldn't take them. What did I do wrong?

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    if you already caught a shiny can you keep the chain going and still have the same probability to catch another one?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I was just EV training my Larvitar. I was using the power weight and pokerus to make the Ev's earned 10 (I was training against Bidoofs). I kept track, and I earned 86 HP Evs. But, when I went to go give it an HP Up (Planning to give it 9 for a total of 176), it wouldn't take them. What did I do wrong?

The vitamins only work if the amount of EVs you have in that stat is below 100. Since it has 86 EVs, I'm going to guess that you used two HP Ups, and then it stopped taking them since 106 > 100.

why do people look at the trainer card before catching a shiny pokemon?

been watching youtube vids on chaining

It does nothing, so I'm going to say that they do it because they feel like it.

Chibaymega12

Enemies of the Leaf Beware!
    Years
  • The vitamins only work if the amount of EVs you have in that stat is below 100. Since it has 86 EVs, I'm going to guess that you used two HP Ups, and then it stopped taking them since 106 > 100.

No, it wouldn't take the first HP Up I gave it. I did give it a Protein, just 1, however. I'm still at 86.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    are the unsafe spots below, based on being at the edges of the grass, or based on being at the edge of the 4x4 grid the radar uses?

4321Y1234

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • It does nothing, so I'm going to say that they do it because they feel like it.

The probability of finding a shiny is determined by your SID, and to an extent by your ID, so that may be why.

Happened to me a couple of times. You need to be quick in getting those 50 or less steps as well as not straying too far from where you were last chaining or else your chain will end early. Those are my observations anyway.

It doesn't matter the time you take walking the ≤50 steps to reset the radar. You could leave your DS alone for days, and provided the pokémon you were chaining doesn't only appear at a certain time and wasn't a swarm pokémon, the chain should still be there.

Also, it's 10 steps. You can't go more than 10 steps from where you fought the last chain-continuing pokémon.

EDIT: Just verifying that what the below poster said is indeed true.

Last edited:
    Back