• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
  • How do i use the Poke Radar properly

You just... use it. Get in a large patch of grass, and use it. You can't use it in tall grass, and also you have to dismount your bike to do so. If you use the PokeRadar in a small patch, or while mounting the bike, you'll get the usual Rowan's advice of there being a place for everything =.= But not now, eh? XP

Once you did, you'll see the leaves rustling - there you are, you spot for rarer Pokemon on that patch. Remember that you can still encounter wild Pokemon while _walking_ to the patch, so use Repels if you don't want to get sidetracked by Bidoofs and such.

There are also the chaining - to get shinies, but I'm not sure how that works. I think there should be a thread about it somewhere....

Last edited:

xLEGENDxTROOPER

ROM Downloader
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2015
    Need Help! Plz Read

I have pokemon platinum on my computer and on my ds and i was wonderin if i could trade between my ds and my computer.

like if my ds and computer linked up

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    Pretty sure you can, but maybe not in the way you're thinking of. I know there's a program that can transfer your .sav file from your DS to your computer so you can open up your 2 different Platinum games on your computer and trade between those two, and that's the only way I can think of. It's called savsender and savreceiver I think. There might be a newer program.

I'm curious if you can hook up your Wi-Fi with the Platinum game on your computer. If you can, then that's probably the best way to do it.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • A question about the Pikachu Colored Pichu ...

How do we get it ? Will it be a Wi-Fi Distribution like the Member's Card and Oak's Letter ? Or will it be a TRU or a McDonald's or even a Burger King Distribution .

Thanks , if it is a Wi-Fi Distribution I'll have a Pikachu Coloured Pichu ! :]

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • You can get Spiky-eared Pichu by trading a Pikachu-color Pichu to HeartGold/SoulSilver, then having the Pikachu-color Pichu in your party go to the Ilex Forest Shrine and you will battle Spiky-eared Pichu.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Uhhh...no.Platinum is better.Although, a few pokes, like Glameow,Murkrow,Stunky and their evos aren't in Platinum they're easily available. Platinum has a Battle Frontier (even though Emerald's is better), and you get a better E4,Gym leader rematches, and more Team Galactic in Platinum

KajiVenator

The Flame Huntzman
    Years
  • How exactly does someone make a game for the DS (not a hack, a game, from scratch)? What program do they use to edit it?

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • 2 questions; sorry if they seem n00bish (I don't have DPPt yet, btw) :():

1. If you transfer Pokemon via Pal Park from RSE-FRLG to DPPt, are the ribbons obtained from RSE viewable? And do the ribbons from Sinnoh replace Gen. III ribbons or are they added alongside the Gen. III ribbons?

2. In the DPPt summary screen, what locations are listed? Is it just the region that the Pokemon was caught in/transferred from, or is it more specific (like route, cave, city, island, Sevii Island location, etc.)? Also, is it listed whether the Pokemon was "(probably) met, hatched, or fateful encounter" like in Gen. III?

Any help is appreciated!

Years
  • What does this whole EV or IV thing everyone is talking about in the forums? Also what the point of a pokemons nature?
    EVs and IVs, also known as Effort Values and Individual Values respectively, are values in the game that affect a Pokemon's stats.

EVs are values that are gained from KOing Pokemon and gaining experience. Every Pokemon gives a certain amount of EVs (1-3) in the stats of HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and Speed. By battling certain kinds of Pokemon over and over again, you gain more EVs and can add up to 63 points to a certain stat. You can have up to 255 EVs in a single stat and 510 total. Feel free to ask more as this is just a basic overview.

IVs are values that vary from Pokemon to Pokemon. They work like EVs in that they raise stats, but the main difference is that they cannot be changed and range from 0-31. A Pokemon with a 31 IV in a stat will have a much higher stat total than a Pokemon with a 14 IV in a stat. Again a basic overview.

Natures raise one stat and lower another. This can be helpful as most Pokemon have a stat that they DON'T USE AT ALL so the fact that it is lowered is trivial. A list of natures and what stats they affect can be found here: https://www.smogon.com/dp/natures/
    How exactly does someone make a game for the DS (not a hack, a game, from scratch)? What program do they use to edit it?
    Learn to programming.

Don't think you can just download a couple programs and make a full fledged game. It requires extensive amounts of time, money, and monotonous testing to make sure everything works the way it's supposed to and that certain parts can't be exploited.
    2 questions; sorry if they seem n00bish (I don't have DPPt yet, btw) :():

1. If you transfer Pokemon via Pal Park from RSE-FRLG to DPPt, are the ribbons obtained from RSE viewable? And do the ribbons from Sinnoh replace Gen. III ribbons or are they added alongside the Gen. III ribbons?

2. In the DPPt summary screen, what locations are listed? Is it just the region that the Pokemon was caught in/transferred from, or is it more specific (like route, cave, city, island, Sevii Island location, etc.)? Also, is it listed whether the Pokemon was "(probably) met, hatched, or fateful encounter" like in Gen. III?

Any help is appreciated!

1. Yes. They are alongside the Gen. III ribbons.

2. If this is about migration, then it will just display the region it's from (Kanto, Hoenn) and nothing else.
    If you're talking about just in general, then yes.

KajiVenator

The Flame Huntzman
    Years
  • Learn to programming.

Don't think you can just download a couple programs and make a full fledged game. It requires extensive amounts of time, money, and monotonous testing to make sure everything works the way it's supposed to and that certain parts can't be exploited.
    Well, thank you for the answer but please, next time, don't act like I insulted you.

All I did was ask a question because I was curious. That's all. No need to go nuclear.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • 1. Yes. They are alongside the Gen. III ribbons.

2. If this is about migration, then it will just display the region it's from (Kanto, Hoenn) and nothing else.
    If you're talking about just in general, then yes.

Awesome, thanks! I was thinking of catching certain Hoenn Pokemon in DPPt, and my aim was to have all full-evos and Legendaries win at least 1 contest in Emerald & 1 super-contest later on in Platinum. This means that the number of ribbons available will be cut if I catch them in DPPt, though...

As for the location thing, I'm sort of nitpicky with Pokemon locations, so...

Years
  • Ok another question...evolution matters obviously...but does it matter WHEN you evolve. Let me use an example: I have a Pikachu level 20, and I use a Thunderstone to evolve it, and I level that Raichu to the max level, would that Raichu have gotten better stats if I evolved a level 3 which will be sooner and the pokemon would have leveled up more times as Raichu? I know kinda of a confusing question but do ya get the point? I basically wanna learn HOW TO maximize the status of my pokemon.

Years
  • A Pokémon's stats will remain the same whether you evolve it early or late in levels. The only change in stats you can give it are EV training, IV breeding, etc... so don't worry about when to evolve it.

Ok thanks...know any place where I can read up on EV training or IV training?

BTW When you breed sometime with a Ditto (Bulbasaur for example) would the offspring of the Bulbasaur with 1 Ditto and 1 Bulbasaur parent be at a disadvantage in comparison to a Bulbasaur with 2 Bulbasaur parents?

Back