• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
Years
  • The solution to my problem may or may not be quick or easy to fix, but we'll see. And if this is not the right section to post this in, then please direct me to where I should.

I have a major problem in my ROM hack that hopefully someone can help me with, as I can't find the solution anywhere. I'm hacking Fire Red, and the problem happens here:
    Quick Questions & Answers

After battling the Bug Catcher, for some reason you lose control of the player character, and gain control of the Camper, and you can only move with a 2x2 area after doing so. The Bug Catcher's script is a simple trainer battle, and his offset is actually one that already exists within the game, and belongs to a Bug Catcher in Viridian Forest. I was just using it as a placeholder. All I did was modify the data for what Pokemon he has in Ultimate Trainer Editor, nothing else. I figured that this was just some random glitch, and I'd fix it later, as the Bug Catch is able to be skipped, and thus did not prevent me from progressing to test other parts of my hack. This does not happen with other trainers on this Route. I believe I tried a while ago to fix this by taking the Camper's sprite off the screen, but I still lost control of the player character. This same problem also occurs in the Gym in the next town, where defeating the last trainer results in gaining control of another trainer in the Gym.

The character I gained control of also happens to be located on the left side of the screen, and, similar to the Bug Catcher, the trainer I battled that initiated the glitch was also facing upwards. The only difference was his script was not a copy/paste a script for him, I made a trainer battle script for him. I tried to fix this by moving the trainer I battled so that he was facing left instead of up (as shown in the screen shot), but this resulted in me instead gaining control of the trainer in the top right of the screen, but I could move within a larger area than before (I think it was 13x13 instead of 2x2). Then, going back to the previous image, I noticed that the same problem occurs if you battle a Wild Pokemon in one of the two patches of tall grass withinin the screen shot. There are five patches of grass on this Route, but it only happens with those two. This led me to believe it is not a problem with the scripting, but something else. There are no map scripts for either of the maps this happens on. Also, I'm using MrDollSteak's Decap/PSS/Fairy-Type ROM Base. This may or may not be a factor.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • The solution to my problem may or may not be quick or easy to fix, but we'll see. And if this is not the right section to post this in, then please direct me to where I should.

I have a major problem in my ROM hack that hopefully someone can help me with, as I can't find the solution anywhere. I'm hacking Fire Red, and the problem happens here:

After battling the Bug Catcher, for some reason you lose control of the player character, and gain control of the Camper, and you can only move with a 2x2 area after doing so. The Bug Catcher's script is a simple trainer battle, and his offset is actually one that already exists within the game, and belongs to a Bug Catcher in Viridian Forest. I was just using it as a placeholder. All I did was modify the data for what Pokemon he has in Ultimate Trainer Editor, nothing else. I figured that this was just some random glitch, and I'd fix it later, as the Bug Catch is able to be skipped, and thus did not prevent me from progressing to test other parts of my hack. This does not happen with other trainers on this Route. I believe I tried a while ago to fix this by taking the Camper's sprite off the screen, but I still lost control of the player character. This same problem also occurs in the Gym in the next town, where defeating the last trainer results in gaining control of another trainer in the Gym.

The character I gained control of also happens to be located on the left side of the screen, and, similar to the Bug Catcher, the trainer I battled that initiated the glitch was also facing upwards. The only difference was his script was not a copy/paste a script for him, I made a trainer battle script for him. I tried to fix this by moving the trainer I battled so that he was facing left instead of up (as shown in the screen shot), but this resulted in me instead gaining control of the trainer in the top right of the screen, but I could move within a larger area than before (I think it was 13x13 instead of 2x2). Then, going back to the previous image, I noticed that the same problem occurs if you battle a Wild Pokemon in one of the two patches of tall grass withinin the screen shot. There are five patches of grass on this Route, but it only happens with those two. This led me to believe it is not a problem with the scripting, but something else. There are no map scripts for either of the maps this happens on. Also, I'm using MrDollSteak's Decap/PSS/Fairy-Type ROM Base. This may or may not be a factor.

Hmm, usually when that happens to me is because on AdvanceMap I set that person's movement to "face down" or whatever, try setting it to "no movement" and see if it still persists.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Has anyone documented what the risks of using AMap 1.95 are other than 'corrupting your ROM'?

I haven't had any problems, but wonder if I'm just not using the dangerous part or something.

chestertagat

Dumbest Person in the World.
    Years
  • Hello does anyone know why my rom Freezes whenever an original mon evolves into a expanded mon ?
    For Example Aipom evolves to Ambipom at Level 32 after the Evolution Animation the game freezes . Please Someone help me i put super Effort adding new mons and they wont work . Thank You In Advance. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Does anyone know how to expand A-Starter to include added pokemon?
    Not sure about A-Starter, but shouldn't you be able to just script edit the starters and trainer edit your rival's teams? Just open the starter scripts and change the hex of the pokemon in each pokeball you can choose from (along with obvious things like the picture shown and the description of the pokeball, which is just a text string).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2015
    1. Is there a way to insert multiple tiles in the block? Like a whole house for example, or maybe 3 houses at a time.
    And can someone please elaborate the tilesets and blocks?
    2. How many tilesets are there? I know there are 12 palettes. What is tileset1 and tileset2?
    3. How many tiles could I add alongside the original ones?
    4. What is the limit of adding maps?
    5. Can I make all maps maximum size?

I searched for nights and can't find answers for these, though I learned some other things.

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2016
    Just something I need cleared up. With tilesets, do they each have their own individual 13 palettes assigned to them, or do all of the tilesets share the same palettes? I want to insert a tileset, but don't want to mess the other up.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Just something I need cleared up. With tilesets, do they each have their own individual 13 palettes assigned to them, or do all of the tilesets share the same palettes? I want to insert a tileset, but don't want to mess the other up.

Each tileset has its own palette set following these rules:
    1: Each primary tileset gets palettes 1-6
    2: Each Secondary tileset gets palettes 7-12

There are(afaik) no sharing of palettes other than reusing tilesets.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    1. Is there a way to insert multiple tiles in the block? Like a whole house for example, or maybe 3 houses at a time.
    And can someone please elaborate the tilesets and blocks?
    2. How many tilesets are there? I know there are 12 palettes. What is tileset1 and tileset2?
    3. How many tiles could I add alongside the original ones?
    4. What is the limit of adding maps?
    5. Can I make all maps maximum size?

I searched for nights and can't find answers for these, though I learned some other things.

Thanks

1. If you're talking about selecting a whole house for mapping, you can do that by using the "Großer Block" (=big block) tool. Hold Ctrl + right click
    If you're talking about the block creating process in the block editor, you have to do that block for block.
    2. As the poster above said, 1-6 can be used for all outdoor maps. 7-12 are specific to the secondary tileset of a specific area.
    3. There's no set number. Depends on how much space you have in your exported tileset and how efficent you are. Remember to pay attention to the 8x8 format for each mini tile.
    4. Not sure about this one. Though replacing existing maps is the way to go.
    5. I'm not aware that it causes problems, but from a game design/mapping standpoint you really shouldn't make all maps gigantic. Test your maps in VBA and see if the size seems appropriate.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2015
    ^You, sir, are very helpful.

Edit: My thread was posted.

Last edited:

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    How do you move the camera in Emerald because special 0x113 and 0x114 certainly don't do that (113 is credits)?

Thanks

chestertagat

Dumbest Person in the World.
    Years
  • Hello . Does anyone know how to make the Pokemon menu visible after you get your first pokemon , because i replace the original script for the 3 starters you can choose , and after the givepokemon script of mine the Pokemon menu wont appear , only the bag the trainer card and save are appearing even if i have already gve a pokemon . Thanks in Advance i hope someone knows this.

Edit : After searching Mega Huge XSE tut I find it its setflag 0x828 it activates Pokemon Menu :) haha

Last edited:

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • is there a way to edit/remove the FIGHT/BAG/POKéMON/RUN options in emerald?

Uhmm by 'edit' it depends what you want to do with them.. If you wanted to change what they say, I spent a quick 5 minutes and found their location at 3FE72D. There you will find FIGHT, BAG, POKéMON, and RUN. You can get a hex to text converter and overwrite what you want there instead.

-EDIT-

Yes, but you'd have to use ASM. Unless you just want to edit the text, I assume that could be done in a hex editor.

Oh beat me to it. Well I guess I still back up the second half of your post ;)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back